The Intel Broadwell Core i7-5775C and i5-5765C Tested

HardOCP News

[H] News
Anandtech has posted part one of its Intel Broadwell Core i7-5775C and i5-5765C review this afternoon. This review covers Office, Web, Windows, Linux performance as well as a few gaming benchmarks thrown in for good measure.

Broadwell, in its top level explanation, is the 14nm die shrink of Haswell which was built on 22nm. Using Intel’s 14nm process this results in a smaller silicon die and lower power consumption. Frequency will depend on the architecture and if the process is suited to frequency or power, but the CPU core underneath is still more-or-less Haswell, with some minor tweaks of course.

Interesting bit over at PC Gamer I was not aware of. Basically, these are not the top end CPUs you are looking for (low clocks, low tdp), and likely no Broadwell will be. Better to wait for SkyLake, or build with a Haswell or Devil's Canyon if you have to build now. Thoughts?

Interesting bit over at PC Gamer I was not aware of. Basically, these are not the top end CPUs you are looking for (low clocks, low tdp), and likely no Broadwell will be. Better to wait for SkyLake, or build with a Haswell or Devil's Canyon if you have to build now. Thoughts?

Saw the same article and was wondering the same. Nephew is getting close to building a PC and we were looking at the i7-4790K, I see this chip, get excited, and then I saw the PC Gamer article.

If you can make use of the on-chip graphics, the new chip brings pretty significant performance benefits. Outside of that yeah, the DC would be my choice, the BW doesn't bring new instruction sets or enhancements that are tangible outside of the power envelope and enhanced graphics.

If I needed to buy PC now then I would rather pick Broadwell. But that would also depend on overclocking. So far I haven't seen any OC reports...

If i where building right now (and i'm not) I would probably go with Broadwell as well. but unless my PC takes a dump i'm waiting for skylake.

If I needed to buy PC now then I would rather pick Broadwell. But that would also depend on overclocking. So far I haven't seen any OC reports...

Based on the Anandtech article and what others have been saying, Intel has indicated further drivers and BIOS updates will be available next week. They are waiting until then.

These 65W chips are also unlocked multiplier, they run cooler, they have an IPC bump, and their IPC bump seems to close the gap with the Haswell K chips in Anandtech's article...so they look like a no brainer?

I guess unless it comes out that there overclock ceiling is super limited and you are looking to ragged edge.

They do just fine despite being slower http://www.anandtech.com/show/9320/intel-broadwell-review-i7-5775c-i5-5765c/8

These 65W chips are also unlocked multiplier, they run cooler, they have an IPC bump, and their IPC bump seems to close the gap with the Haswell K chips in Anandtech's article...so they look like a no brainer?

I guess unless it comes out that there overclock ceiling is super limited and you are looking to ragged edge.

They do just fine despite being slower http://www.anandtech.com/show/9320/intel-broadwell-review-i7-5775c-i5-5765c/8

I saw that. The thing is, to me, I'm going to have to wait and see what the street price is. I ASSUME that the 4 series will fall a bit. As a tick-release, this doesn't seem the one to upgrade to with SkyLake around the corner, but I could see real benefits if this is for a quiet-room computer, like an HTPC or the like.

EDIT: And SkyLake in September? Yea... pass on Broadwell...
1433276139b4SRfodjA9_1_1.jpg

Edit 2: Though those do look like laptop model numbers...

Last edited:
Performance is pretty fantastic for 65W chips, with some nice surprises from Crystalwell's L4 cache.

We need some overclocking results to judge but getting close to 700 Mhz higher clocked Haswell is impressive

Yeah, not a direct upgrade from Haswell, esp. DC CPUs.

That being said, all tests seem to indicate the gaming potential of the IGP is pretty nuts.. beating an AMD R7 250 in most tests.

At 65W, with that kind of performance, this could be a really fantastic HTPC part.. 4k video without a discrete GPU, in a mini-ITX half height case..!

Yeah, not a direct upgrade from Haswell, esp. DC CPUs.

That being said, all tests seem to indicate the gaming potential of the IGP is pretty nuts.. beating an AMD R7 250 in most tests.

At 65W, with that kind of performance, this could be a really fantastic HTPC part.. 4k video without a discrete GPU, in a mini-ITX half height case..!

Screams SteamBox.

What is the verdict as far as "speed" clock for clock over Haswell? The past few generations we have been getting far less than 10% speed increase year over year. What is the "speed" gain over Haswell on this new architecture?

My only question on these is; can the cpu use that 128MB of cache for cpu stuff? Like say you have a gpu and you're not using the on chip graphics, does the cpu then get 128MB of l4 cache?

Awww yeah everybody ready for another IPC increase of 6%?

If you can make use of the on-chip graphics, the new chip brings pretty significant performance benefits. Outside of that yeah, the DC would be my choice, the BW doesn't bring new instruction sets or enhancements that are tangible outside of the power envelope and enhanced graphics.

Like Haswell Broadwell will be mostly about mobile, and that's not bad. Decent IGP has some worth.

I'm seriously shocked that the i7 with that much eDRAM only consumes 67watts. WUT?!

Well the new Broadwell igpu is beating up on Kaveri A10-7870 10-20% depending on the games... and it only costs at least twice as much. I honestly don't know why anyone would be using the igpu on a $300 chip anyway. But I'm sure it will scale nicely downwards for use in laptops.

Well the new Broadwell igpu is beating up on Kaveri A10-7870 10-20% depending on the games... and it only costs at least twice as much. I honestly don't know why anyone would be using the igpu on a $300 chip anyway. But I'm sure it will scale nicely downwards for use in laptops.

That's an issue I thought to myself when I saw the benchmarks. Yea, it beats the 7870.. but the 7870 is only $150. You could have the CPU, a nice cooler, and board for what the BW CPU cost.

The way I see it, this is a chip that is built for professional work loads that can also game pretty well on its own. Looking at Anand's benches it would seem that performance benefits and extremely small footprint is worth the price.

You also get 128mb of L4 cache.

I hope they offer Higher TDP parts with no integrated graphics.

Cut the crap out for the performance users and lower costs.

Under DX12, Windows will use the iGPU to render less intensive parts of the scene. Nvidia posted about this in regards to an Intel iGPU and an Nvidia card working together to render a scene.

The performance of the iGPU is really really exciting for dx12 enabled games of the future.

Thank you. How come there's such a shortage of mini ITX mobos? Asus has no Z97I-Deluxe. Are manufacturers waiting for the CPUs to be released?

I'm not sure what you mean, there are probably a hundred mITX z97s on Newegg.

Asrock already has updated their bios for some Z97 boards for Broadwell and it's not even out yet.

I'll wait to see how long it takes Gigabyte to update my Z87 bios for Broadwell.

Has anyone said they will update Z87 boards to take it? The only thing I've heard from that front was that Z87 could be updated to take it in theory.

Has it been confirmed for broadwell yet? I feel like the benchmarks should show a larger boost from the extra cache.

Yes, all the 4-core Broadwell desktop processors have the full Iris Pro GT3e graphics. Iris Pro = Crystalwell. This may change with Skylake, since they will have a far wider product line available.

Most benchmarks don't benefit from the L4 cache because it's designed to be wide and fast compared to main memory, but is dog-slow compared to the L3 cache. Consider it a bandwidth multiplier for the integrated graphics, while still being available for other corner-case programs that can actually make use of it.

Canned benchmarks like the system tests don't stress the cache much, so no wonder there's no benefit.

But games are more dependent on cache speed and size, and sometimes bigger is not better (which is why the Core 2 decimated everything, but Nehalem didn't really improve on it in games). Most game code fits well into Intel's current L3 cache, so when you are running just the discrete GPU the benefits will vary from one game to another (based on how they handle assets and other high-bandwidth operations). But I saw some cases where Broadwell Core i5 was 10% faster than Haswell, so there's a few games that benefit.

Awww yeah everybody ready for another IPC increase of 6%?

Hells yeah! But it's mostly due to the L4 cache, since there's no real architectural changes.

Hey, at least we don't see Intel going backwards like Kaveri, with lower shipping clocks than it's predecessor. The turbo of the Core i5 part is competitive with the Haswell i5, and that's why it keeps pace in the majority of games (very few games in the list max-out four cores).

The tough part will be judging the real-world benefit of the L4 cache. In some games it seems to have no effect, while in others the difference is as high as 10%.

I can't wait to see the overclocking results!

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed for broadwell yet? I feel like the benchmarks should show a larger boost from the extra cache.
Broadwell is a die shrink of Haswell with some tweaks, not a new uarch. Intel calls Broadwell processors with eDRAM Crystalwell, the same as it did for Haswell.

The performance gains that the eDRAM provides as a L4 cache in certain loads is pretty much expected. Given how the L1/L2/L3 cache hierarchy already has a fantastic hit rate for most x86 code, adding in a L4 cache isn't going to help much in those cases. As shown in the Anandtech benchmarks there are some other cases where it does help.

While eDRAM in Crystalwell processors can provide benefits from working as a L4 cache, its primary purpose is to speed up the GPU in 3D applications and GPGPU code execution.

Asrock already has updated their bios for some Z97 boards for Broadwell and it's not even out yet.

I'll wait to see how long it takes Gigabyte to update my Z87 bios for Broadwell.

From what I've read Z87 won't get BW support. My Gigabyte Z97 board already has support as well.

Broadwell is a die shrink of Haswell with some tweaks, not a new uarch. Intel calls Broadwell processors with eDRAM Crystalwell, the same as it did for Haswell.

The performance gains that the eDRAM provides as a L4 cache in certain loads is pretty much expected. Given how the L1/L2/L3 cache hierarchy already has a fantastic hit rate for most x86 code, adding in a L4 cache isn't going to help much in those cases. As shown in the Anandtech benchmarks there are some other cases where it does help.

While eDRAM in Crystalwell processors can provide benefits from working as a L4 cache, its primary purpose is to speed up the GPU in 3D applications and GPGPU code execution.

Hmmm. I feel like it should help a lot in pretty much anything that can fit into 128MB. I guess I just need to get one to play with :)

Hmmm. I feel like it should help a lot in pretty much anything that can fit into 128MB. I guess I just need to get one to play with :)

There is a lot that can fit into 128, it's just that the programs that 99% of users use don't really use it.

Back