The Intel 5300 vs. the 6300. Which one should I go with?

alf717

Gawd
From what I have read they are almost identically with the exception that the 6300 offers the following:

The Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 is the next generation 3x3 (450 Mbps) Wi-Fi Adapter from Intel. Key differences between the Wi-Fi Link 5300 and the Centrino® 6300 are:

- Support for the latest Intel® vPro™ Technology which adds the following features/capabilities:
o HW-based keyboard, video, mouse remote control enabling an IT administrator to lower his/her support costs by being able to see the various states of the Laptop such as Startup/Shutdown, Blue Screen or OS freeze, Disk Failure, or Network Software issues to name a few
o Support for Intel® Anti-Theft Technology which can disable a PC if it is lost or stolen helping to ensure data confidentiality.

- Support for an enhanced receiver algorithm that can provide in some instances up to a 40% performance improvement over the previous receiver algorithm we had used in the 5300.

I'm in the market for a wireless adapter that is N compatible. I read up on these chips here on [H] and random searching on Google and these are the ones everyone seems to be talking about, well mostly the 6300. I plan to put this in a desktop machine I have in the living room since as of now it is using a wireless G USB adapter. It works but I want something better. I found some good prices but everything is from eBay and most of the low prices are from overseas. I'm also looking for a little info on what to look for when choosing a mini PCI-E to PCI-E adapter. Will any adapter work or should I invest the money in a good one. How can you tell you are getting a good adapter or could it be said that these adapter are generic all around?

I have the 5300 in my laptop (Precision 4400) and it consistently outperforms everything else. The drivers are also alot better than their earlier offerings. I have no experience with the 6300.

I have tested some Intel WLAN NICs with my 2 Mini-PCIe-to-PCIe adaptors bought on ebay, inclugin the 5300 and it's been working fine.

I have not tried the 6300 but the 5300 is one fine NIC that works very well.

I got the 6200 in my X220 Laptop but I have not tested it enough to judge it.

I'd also consider Atheros 3x3 products, keep in mind though that your Dell probably blacklists WLAN-cards.
//Danne

If it does blacklist any cards, chances are that you can find a modded bios that will allow you too. I believe MyDigitalInfo has some stuff on their forums.

Back