The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase

Anyone ever get this error while updating windows 7 or updating in general?

0x8007001F - 0x20006
The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I decided to update my last desktop running windows 7 x64 pro. The 10 update seemed to work just fine after the downloads and first reboot, but then I get the message after it restores my original OS:

0x8007001F - 0x20006
The Installation Failed in the SAFE_OS Phase with an error during REPLICATE_OC operation

I did go through and update every driver as some suggested on a google search. I also ran sfc /scannow and it found no errors. I also disconnected any usb devices except for the usb flash drive with the win10 20H2. I ran setup from within windows 7. Not sure what else to try. It is an old mobo 10+ years with only a duo cpu and 8 gigs of ram. I manly use it to store all my music and other files on the 4TB drive. I do have Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes running, but I've updated other laptops with those running with no issues.

My next try is to unplug the cat5 cable so there is no internet access while upgrading.

This is generally due to not having enough space on the selected installation partition. How much space is on the OS partition you are upgrading?

Even though I've updated my other laptops/desktops with it enabled with no issues?
possibly. its usually whats causing issues in my experience. my theory is that it doesnt recognize the windows update process and messes with the files change over, it interrupts the update which goes "oh shit i cant change files" and so it gets rolled back.

Still won't work even though I ran "msconfig" and disabled a lot of stuff for starup and some other programs. I also uninstalled Eset Internet Security and Malwarebytes. I also disconnected access to the internet. Started the update only to have it do the same - after the 1st reboot, it's restoring my old OS. So I'm guessing it's so old it must be a hardware issue. So I'm going to continue to use it until I get tired of it or it quits working.

You haven't mentioned what hardware you're running but from what little you have said it's not likely to be motherboard/CPU incompatibility if you're running a Core2 CPU. I upgraded over a year and a half ago and retired a Core2Quad Q6600 and Abit IP35 motherboard but it had Win10 running on it just fine. Other than the optical drive I don't think a single thing in the computer was less than 10 years old.

It's possible some hardware went bad which is causing the issue but it doesn't sound like it. If there was a hardware problem it should have failed earlier in the installation.

You can try an in place upgrade using the Media Creation Tool to make a USB drive, boot from it and choose to keep your files etc...

It's an Asus P5Q-E. Thanks vick1000, but I'm tired of wasting time on this old machine. I'm just going to continue to use it until I'm tired of it or it fails.

I got it installed by using version 1607. It's now downloading and installing a bunch of updates for 1607. Once that is done, I'll try to update it to the latest version.

OK just another update. I could not update to 20H2 as it returned an error code and said to try again later for updates. I repeated that twice with the same results, so I looked up the error code and the first hit was to check your HOST file. Sure enough, I had a lot of entries related to Spybot Antibeacon which modified the host file to block all telemetry.
I removed all that stuff and now it's updating. Which brings me to a thought - what if my original issue was the HOST file?

Finally after 6 hours of starting with 1607 and those updates to 20H2 it's done. As for the issue with the HOST file, remember this was Windows 7 which means it was an old version of that software. I completely forgot about it even though I had uninstalled it years ago, but it never removed the entries in the HOST file. As for Malwarebytes and Eset, I did not have to uninstall them during this whole process. I knew they were not the issue since I've updated several other laptops in my family with them installed and never had an issue.
This is the site that I got the idea about using an older version of 10: https://blackwoodit.co.uk/knowledge-base/windows-upgrade-error-0x8007001f/

Back