The "I took the Plunge" Thread. What card did you just order/get?

took the plunge on thursday for a visiontek x800 pro...got it today and man, joint ops runs smooth as silk at 1280 and 4x AA 8xAF

gpitpitan said:
took the plunge on thursday for a visiontek x800 pro...got it today and man, joint ops runs smooth as silk at 1280 and 4x AA 8xAF
Glad to hear, love thie game but it runs like pure shit on a 9800 pro.

Just got a 9800Pro with a AMD Heatsink and OCZ Copper ramsinks, but due to (probably) a shitty power supply, the card isnt' working. ordered myself a PC P&C PSU, should do the trick. Upgraded form 9600Pro overclocked

tranCendenZ said:
CompUPlus (the deal I linked above for $425) had it for $345 for a short time.

dammit that figures. Well, with all these deals already, I guess there will be more in the future. I'm just gonna be ready to jump next time. ;)

oozish said:
dammit that figures. Well, with all these deals already, I guess there will be more in the future. I'm just gonna be ready to jump next time. ;)

Heh, realize though that all of them so far have been 1-5 hour long deals that were designed to pull people into the site, then the deal disappears. So getting in on one is very tough unless you spend significant time on nvnews, or sometimes here.

Went from this:
Athlon XP 1700+
768MB PC 2100 RAM
40GB + 20GB IDE Hard Drives
64MB GeForce 4 Ti4200

To the machine now in my sig. Still using the G4Ti4200 until I can get my hands on a 6800 Ultra. But that's my fault for waiting for the bundle I want...

Got the Sapphire x800pro w/VIVO the other day and modded it to the x800xt (from allstarshop). Core/mem at 550/570 so far and does over 13k in 3dmark03 and averages nearly 50fps with everything maxed out in FarCry with res at 1280x1024. This thing is a beast.

Still getting the Geforce 6800GT though...just to see. :)

phas3d

Dang, a lot of people going the nVidia route. I've got an X800XT PE on the way, though I'm really not sure if I'm doing the right thing - been seeing a lot of good results from the 6800s lately.

Been with ATI since 9700 pro, but had nVidia b4 then (GF2 GTS, first rig, then a GF4 Ti4400).

Guess either one will be pretty quick :)

jellyhead said:
Dang, a lot of people going the nVidia route. I've got an X800XT PE on the way, though I'm really not sure if I'm doing the right thing - been seeing a lot of good results from the 6800s lately.

Been with ATI since 9700 pro, but had nVidia b4 then (GF2 GTS, first rig, then a GF4 Ti4400).

Guess either one will be pretty quick :)

Alot of us are going with the 6800's for other reasons then just performance in DirectX games.

With Doom 3 coming up and Quake 4 on the horizon there will be alot of hot titles using OpenGL. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see the 6800GT's performing as well and maybe better then the X800XT PE's in Doom 3.

I've also been considering dual booting Linux w/ XP Pro and ATI cards have really bad performance in Linux. ATI says their going to do alot with their Linux drivers next year but i somewhat doubt it. They've just been using hacked version of the FireGL drivers up till now.

SM 3.0 could turn out to be a very big thing this year but who knows. The 6800's have gotten nice performance boosts from SM 3.0 so far and should continue to gain more as more SM 3.0 areas are added into Far Cry in the 1.3 patch. There are about 12 other titles already destined for SM 3.0 support this year too.

C4rniV0r said:
Never paid more than $200 on a video card and never will.
I'm with Carnivor. I'm building a new rig, and it gets a 9800 Pro. I'm not muh of a gamer, and these uber-cards seem like a waste to me.

.B ekiM

I got in on the pre-order with chumbo.com and I received yesterday my BFG 6800 Ultra OC w/ Waterblock .. :)

I'm taking the plunge Tuesday: Quitting my fucking lousy job! So, no new vid cards for me for a while. But my 5900 is ok, so no biggie. I'll be celebrating with a 6800GT when I get a new one though. Unless I decide to go really nuts... depends on the job I get. I'd have to water cool or buy a bunch of SCSIs and move the FC-AL over to my server to add in a 6800U since I can't spare the extra slot in this rig.

burningrave101 said:
Alot of us are going with the 6800's for other reasons then just performance in DirectX games.

With Doom 3 coming up and Quake 4 on the horizon there will be alot of hot titles using OpenGL. I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see the 6800GT's performing as well and maybe better then the X800XT PE's in Doom 3.

I've also been considering dual booting Linux w/ XP Pro and ATI cards have really bad performance in Linux. ATI says their going to do alot with their Linux drivers next year but i somewhat doubt it. They've just been using hacked version of the FireGL drivers up till now.

SM 3.0 could turn out to be a very big thing this year but who knows. The 6800's have gotten nice performance boosts from SM 3.0 so far and should continue to gain more as more SM 3.0 areas are added into Far Cry in the 1.3 patch. There are about 12 other titles already destined for SM 3.0 support this year too.

I hear you 'b.'. Looking at things as they stand, there's not much (really) between DX performance. And I'm only too aware of nV's OpenGL prowess. Real issue, guess I'm having trouble with, a: letting go of ATI (they've been good to me for a while) :) and, b: accepting that nV has done something right :confused: (potentially).

Trying times.

jellyhead said:
I hear you 'b.'. Looking at things as they stand, there's not much (really) between DX performance. And I'm only too aware of nV's OpenGL prowess. Real issue, guess I'm having trouble with, a: letting go of ATI (they've been good to me for a while) :) and, b: accepting that nV has done something right :confused: (potentially).

Trying times.

Jus remember, aside from the NV1 and NV3x, Nvidia has done mostly right... They brought 32bit color into mainstream with the TNT, T&L into mainstream with the GeForce, shaders into mainstream with the GF3, and now they are bringing Shader Model 3.0 into mainstream with the 6800 series. Wouldn't let one gen scare you away.

tranCendenZ said:
Jus remember, aside from the NV1 and NV3x, Nvidia has done mostly right... They brought 32bit color into mainstream with the TNT, T&L into mainstream with the GeForce, shaders into mainstream with the GF3, and now they are bringing Shader Model 3.0 into mainstream with the 6800 series. Wouldn't let one gen scare you away.

Damnit, I R been ATI pussy-whipped!!

I know I know, I need to reverse it, and whip that pussy.. :D

Sheeeyit.

nV for now....? C'mon next gen. ATI....(I'm not a fanboy...honest).

eVGA 5900SE to Visiontek x800 Pro

If they don't get them in stock soon so I can actually GET the card, I may look at a 6800GT.

I'm upgrading from a Ti4400 to a 6800NU. Card should be here mid next week. Wish I had that extra $100 to spend for a GT.

Specs in sig. I already have the CPU, mobo, and RAM. The BFG 6800GT is next. :D

Upgrading from a P4 1.6A @ 2.41ghz, 512MB PC2700 Buffalo Tech, Abit AI7, Radeon 9100.

my last 5 cards
voodoo5, radeon ddr, ti4400,9800p,6800gt,

nvidia did a great job this round with adding new features. im so excited to see how this onchip video encoding works out. and what nvidia is going to do with all those extra transististors they used over the x800xt. i loved my 9800pro aa af and dx9 perfor was amazing although the subpar opengl performance was frustrating since last year my 6 fav games were opengl.

that and my bba9800 was a terrible overclocker even on water. but my 6800 and 4400 are both pretty good overclockers.

its a good thing though ati will have to step it up a big notch for this next gen and maybe even rush it to market. when ati and nvida compete we win!

Hah, I'm in the same boat as you jelly. In fact I pre-purchased the XT-PE a while back and it finally shipped on Friday. Thing is,. I have a pending BFG 6800U which will hopefully ship next week. Currently, I'm using a 9700 Pro, and I must say it was the best video card I've ever purchased (and the longest lasting.)

Something is telling me to go with NV this time though. I almost don't care that my XT-PE is on its way.

- D.

I just pre-ordered from Gateway ($433.85)...

Visiontek GeForce 4 Ti 4600 to ATI X800XT

Upgraded my whole system. 1400MHz Athlon | Geforce 3 -> A64 3400+ | BFG 6800GT.

More than 20fps in UT2k4 here I come!!! :)

sold 9800pro for evga 6800GT. no inflated prices, $399 + shipping. Tired of waiting for the XT, and I think it's a better bang for the buck over the x800 pro.

ATI lost a customer. maybe i'll see what they have next time around, and if they are actually available 2 months after the launch.

I'm up at 5:30AM wondering wtf I was thinking spending $560 on a video card....

ah well. :D

Btw I ordered mine from Gameve ( BFG 6800 Ultra OC :D ) Gonna be waiting a month for this card I bet...so it better do something more than play games...perhaps cook and clean for me? :rolleyes:

Back