The holly grail of mechanical keyboards!

Florin22xxl

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a machanical keyboard and having some problems finding what i need. Basicaly i want cherry blue mx teenkeless keyboard with backlit. Does this keyboard exist:))? Most teenkeyless keyboards dont have backliting and this is a must for me. The ones that have are not cherry blue switches and so on and so fort. Atm im going for the razer blackwidow ultimate wich has the keypad....

yeah, that seems to be most people's response to the Deck

I'm camped out on rubber domes hoping Ducky comes to their senses and busts a tenkeyless shine

That's like saying BW is the holy grail of mechanical keyboards except it has a keypad. It's one of the worst mechanical keyboards out there quality wise and only gets credit cause its a razer product and lights up (aimed at the kids).

This forum is getting embarrassing. Two posts with people asking for lights on their mechanical keyboards and BW being one of the more popular keyboards on this forum cause its lights up. I know mechanical keyboards have gone more mainstream but seriously... Get a cheap 10keylights backlit keyboard from newegg and end it.

Last edited:
That's like saying BW is the holy grail of mechanical keyboards except it has a keypad. It's one of the worst mechanical keyboards out there quality wise and only gets credit cause its a razer product and lights up (aimed at the kids).

This forum is getting embarrassing. Two posts with people asking for lights on their mechanical keyboards and BW being one of the more popular keyboards on this forum cause its lights up. I know mechanical keyboards have gone more mainstream but seriously... Get a cheap 10keylights backlit keyboard from newegg and end it.

For crying out loud. You keyboard snobs are ridiculous. Razer sucks Razer sucks. Its got backlit keys so its gay. Its a fucking keyboard. If you purists don't like it that's fine but its getting really old hearing how I'm a poser because I like my BWU and Im not hardcore cause I don't have some ugly piece of shit $200 Filco or whatever. I though home audio snobs were bad. I like the look of the backlit keys and the glossy finish (I'm 40 by the way) and I like the way it types. But its a keyboard so I'm not too sure how much more special it could be. And backlit keys also come in handy if your rig is in a dimly lit room like mine is.

For crying out loud. You keyboard snobs are ridiculous. Razer sucks Razer sucks. Its got backlit keys so its gay. Its a fucking keyboard. If you purists don't like it that's fine but its getting really old hearing how I'm a poser because I like my BWU and Im not hardcore cause I don't have some ugly piece of shit $200 Filco or whatever. I though home audio snobs were bad. I like the look of the backlit keys and the glossy finish (I'm 40 by the way) and I like the way it types. But its a keyboard so I'm not too sure how much more special it could be. And backlit keys also come in handy if your rig is in a dimly lit room like mine is.

This. It's cool to hate on any company that enjoys mainstream market success. The BWU is a fine keyboard for it's cost/features.

I spent all of 2010 and most of 2011 using mechanical boards. I think they do a good job, but when my typing speed/accuracy/comfort got better while using a $25 laptop style board on a job site, my "give me mechanical or give me death!" attitude withered away. It's keyboard.

This. It's cool to hate on any company that enjoys mainstream market success. The BWU is a fine keyboard for it's cost/features.

Thanks, you made me a bit happy this early in the morning. Gotta lay off zombie mode. OP, get any keyboard you want. I could careless about fancy lights or badass names or any eyecandy or the price, as long as it's a comfort to type with I'm fine. Then I just look at my budget and add a few extras according to it. :)

Backlit = for egoist. IMO.

Plain and simple keyboard, whether mechanical or not = that's who you are.

LMFAO!!

Yeah, ok. Your keyboard defines you as a person.

Ive got 2 backlit keyboards and a couple non lit keyboards. Guess Im schizophrenic. Its a fucking keyboard people!!! Nothing more.

I'm not attempting to feed the troll by any means, but does anyone else find this lack of PS/2 support explanation rather funny?

Q. Does Razer BlackWidow have anti-ghosting capability? How about N-key rollover?
A. Yes, the Razer BlackWidow does have anti-ghosting capabilities. The Razer BlackWidow is a USB only keyboard that features a gaming optimized key matrix that allows the recognition of up to six simultaneous key presses. N-key rollover (NKRO) is only possible with a direct connection to a native PS/2 port on the computer which also has other limitations that USB overcomes. The Razer BlackWidow’s gaming optimized key matrix serves a similar purpose while using the more modern and readily available USB port.

What I find funnier is that the BW is being passed off as a gaming keyboard, yet only features 2kro over most of the board.

Want more over USB ? Get a corsair board (20KRO over USB)), Noppoo Choc mini or pro (18KRO over USB), Ducky G2 (18KRO over USB), or a Leopold FC200R (18KRO over USB).
Or, you could get an 18kro membrane board, the Sidewinder X4

Well, NKRO is only one feature that defines a gaming keyboard when it comes to marketing. The importance of which will be up to the user. Definitely worth keeping in mind, though, if NKRO is a priority and one's looking for a board with that in mind.

What I find funnier is that the BW is being passed off as a gaming keyboard, yet only features 2kro over most of the board.

Want more over USB ? Get a corsair board (20KRO over USB)), Noppoo Choc mini or pro (18KRO over USB), Ducky G2 (18KRO over USB), or a Leopold FC200R (18KRO over USB).
Or, you could get an 18kro membrane board, the Sidewinder X4

Nope, I can get 6 keys to register at the same time on this website.

Don't think I can remember a time in 30 years of gaming when I needed to press more than 6 keys at the same time.

Nope, I can get 6 keys to register at the same time on this website.

Don't think I can remember a time in 30 years of gaming when I needed to press more than 6 keys at the same time.

good point, 6KRO clustered on WASD is probably a reasonable workaround for USB

This is holy grail of mechanical I believe...

IBM Spacesaver Industrial.

gray1.jpg

Ive heard rumors about a 10keyless ducky shine in the works. One of those with white leds would be the holy grail of mech for me

I actually prefer the number pad on a keyboard. I do a lot of online banking and bill paying and shit like that and use the Windows calculator several times a week. I like having the number keypad to use for that.

And that old Royal typewriter keyboard is the coolest thing I think Ive ever seen! Im all for vintage gear and it dont get more vintage than that.

what kills me about the ibm model M keyboards is how many I threw away over the years :( only to find out they don't get much better.

wow, hundred bucks on ebay, and none in the grey/black

unobtanium

Most of the responses this evokes from me would get me permanantly banned from [H]ard.

I'm still using a good old IBM Model M 101 key the one with the numeric keypad that I had from the old 386 days. Over 15 years old Its built to last and does the job.

Although that typewriter keyboard is kinda cool looking, how durable is it?

I tried Microsoft Natural Ergonomic and a Saitek gaming keyboard both broke relatively quickly and were so not worth the money. Socket 2011 Xeon boards better have a PS2 port.

For those that crave the IBM Model M, remember you can get literally the same thing from Unicomp. Unicomp ended up with the rights to manufacture and they've been doing quite well at it though most of their customers seem to be POS related. But they will happily sell to individuals and they have an online store...

They've stuck to the tried and true design, buckling spring keys and all. In fact their 'Classic' series uses the same case design as the Model M, if you flip one over you can even see the blank spot where the 'speaker' used to be on the early Model M units.

I really want to buy a few just to show my support, but I have a hard time paying $70 a piece for something I threw away in palletfulls fifteen years ago. (yes, I'm still kicking myself)

I have a couple of IBM M boards. One new in the box 1988 vintage. I paid $35 for it on ePay a couple of years ago. My daily keyboard is a Filco tenkeyless with Alps/Fukka switches. That ran about $60 and still goes strong everyday. No back light needed here.

So i placed my order today for the Ducky DK 1087 teenkeyless with blue switches. Costed 80$ and since i live in europe 40$ for shiping and on top of this i will have to pay a tax of 25% of total value. In total it will cost me 160$.... It pisses me off when i see americans complaining about prices,try paying my prices on my salary :)))) i came to the conclusion that tenleyless was more important than backliting, and the razer BWU has really crapy quality,i could tell this just by watching videos on youtube(dont need to pay 130$ to see this..),the shape and materiels of the keys is bleah.... Damn need to wait some days till i get it !!!

Florin, glad to hear you found a good keyboard. Too bad about the high price of shipping and tax.
Have you checked out the forums over at GeekHack?. Nothing but keyboards and several Europeans posting as well. Plus they do group orders on custom double shot key caps. :D

You may wish to check out this board they are group ordering since you where after back light keys. Geek Hack space saver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah i know about those keyboards i think they are the only tenkeyless boards with backliting,but they are to ugly for me :d i"m not a blinq blinq guy but i prefer a nice quality thing.... Tks for the heads up :)

Just curious, why don't you want the numpad? Have a separate one or you want to save space? Don't you need it, I use mine a lot.

I can see the benefit of not having one if you dont use them a lot. They take up a lot of desk space especially if you have a keyboard drawer and use your mouse on the drawer as well. Im like you though and use my keypad a ton since I do all my bill paying and banking online and am routinely using the calculator.

Just curious, why don't you want the numpad? Have a separate one or you want to save space? Don't you need it, I use mine a lot.

myself, I never use it

and when I have the monitors down in portrait with a bit of wrap there is not room for my ratpadz so the left edge of the fullsize keyboard ends up all teetering on the leftmost monitor stand.

Corsair's K90 and K60 have advertised 20-key rollover!
The BlackWidow Stealth and BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth have been shown to have full, any six-key roller, unlike the non-Stealth editions and previous Razer keyboards.

Back