The HL2 retail offers

DevilMan

Gawd
Found this here

Original E-mail:
The Half-Life 2 offers have been finalized. Details are pasted below. The Steam offers will be available for purchase next week. Those who purchase via Steam, will receive the final version of Counter-Strike: Source immediately. Half-Life 2 and other games in the Steam offerings will be made available to purchasers upon their release.
Half-Life 2 Offers
RETAIL BOX:
1. Standard Edition:
-- Half-Life 2
-- Counter-Strike: Source
Note: Ships on six CDs. Three different box designs will be made available at launch (cover characters change on the different designs: one is Gordon, one is Alyx, and the third is the Gman).

2. Collector's Edition:
-- Half-Life 2
-- Half-Life 1: Source
-- Half-Life 2 T-shirt
-- Prima book sampler
Note: This version will contain the games on a DVD.

STEAM OFFERINGS
1. "Bronze"
-- Half-Life 2*
*(To be made available upon product's release.)

2. "Silver"
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam *(To be made available upon products' release.)
3. "Gold"
-- Half-Life 2*
-- Half-Life 1: Source*
-- Day of Defeat: Source*
-- Valve's back catalog currently available on Steam
-- Complete Strategy Guide from Prima Games
-- 3 different Half-Life 2 posters
-- Half-Life 2 hat
-- Half-Life 2 postcard
-- Half-Life 2 stickers
-- Half-Life 2 Soundtrack CD
-- Chance to win a trip to Valve! (1 trip offered for every 5000 Gold packages purchased).
*(To be made available upon products' release.)

Not sure if I like the break down here. I would like to get everything from the Silver or Gold package on the DVD package. It just seems they are making people use Steam to get the game.

Hmm...interesting. I was all about picking up a hard copy, but it'd be kinda neat if I could get CS:S next week. Not a bad move by Valve. They know that there are just as many people out there salivating to get their hands on CS:S as HL2, so they allow Steam purchasers to get it early, thus ensuring that even more people purchase over Steam. Very clever...

i must say, i think i'm more eager to play HL:S than HL2. I think it's because i'm expecting a let down but I know HL was good so better graphics can't make it bad.

Stinn said:
i must say, i think i'm more eager to play HL:S that HL2. I think it's because i'm expecting a let down but I know HL was good so better graphics can't make it bad.

I can't say that I'm more eager, but I am very interested in HL:S. HL is my favorite single player game ever. I'll definitely be getting one of the packages with it included, regardless of whether I buy a hard copy or over Steam.

is it just me or are they charging to play mods now? if i were to buy the bronze package could i not just download the DOD mod off their website...?

so for all of us morons who bought an ATI and got the free HL2 coupon, what the hell do we get, a cookie?

ROFL

Steel Chicken said:
so for all of us morons who bought an ATI and got the free HL2 coupon, what the hell do we get, a cookie?

ROFL

Yep, but it's an oreo...and it's double stuffed!

Nah, I'm pretty sure the coupons are still good. If not then the villagers who bought ATi would march on Valve headquarters with pitchforks and torches.

Wow, this is a major move by Valve to release CS:S next week. The masses will purchase a HL2 package on steam just to get CS:S early. This will force VU to either release HL2 ASAP to help stave off the rush to steam, or wave bye bye to lots of money.

VU -cannot- be happy with Valve, who cleverly baits everyone to, in essence, pre-order HL2 on steam next week.

I'm pretty sure HL2 Coupon holders will get the gold package because those of us who have already registered the code with Steam are entitled to the Original Halflife and all its mods plus we got CS:S Beta. You should still be able to download the mods free of charge at a later date (They BETTER be free).

Micas said:
Wow, this is a major move by Valve to release CS:S next week. The masses will purchase a HL2 package on steam just to get CS:S early. This will force VU to either release HL2 ASAP to help stave off the rush to steam, or wave bye bye to lots of money.

VU -cannot- be happy with Valve, who cleverly baits everyone to, in essence, pre-order HL2 on steam next week.

Don't get your hopes up too high, remember you're talking about Valve.

And, Valve can't just do whatever they want, they are under contract with VU.

I don't have steam, but can you buy the silver pakcage on steam and then burn it ? or can you not make a disk from what you bought (i doubt they ship u a disk)

Badger_sly said:
Don't get your hopes up too high, remember you're talking about Valve.

And, Valve can't just do whatever they want, they are under contract with VU.

That made no sense. What did I state that is not absolutely happening? Valve is releasing CS:S next week. In order to purchase that, you have to, in essence, pre-order HL2 on steam. That will take a lot of money out of the pocket of VU. VU, no doubt, will want as many people as possible to by the boxed version, since that's the only way they make money. Therefore, logic would suggest that by this move, Valve is forcing VU to release HL2 as soon as possible before more and more people pre-order HL2 on steam (in order to get CS:S).

It makes perfect sense.

Not really.

Its either a great idea by Valve... or a terrible move on their part. They are risking it, so if they release CS:S next week, 'thinking' they will force VU to release HL2, they *may* be surprised to find that VU in spite my not release the game for another 6 months (which probably won't happen).

On another note though I was under the impression no mods etc.. would be released until HL2 was released ... hmm.

theNoid said:
Not really.

Its either a great idea by Valve... or a terrible move on their part. They are risking it, so if they release CS:S next week, 'thinking' they will force VU to release HL2, they *may* be surprised to find that VU in spite my not release the game for another 6 months (which probably won't happen).

On another note though I was under the impression no mods etc.. would be released until HL2 was released ... hmm.

Spite doesn't have anything to do with the business world. It's all about money. VU games is having huge money problems, and they are going to flush cash down the toilet just to spite Valve? I hardly think so. If they did, and I was an investor, I would demand the CEO be fired.

Another interesting thing to consider. When you pre-order, you normally don't get charged until the game ships. I suspect that in this case, since Valve is delivering to you CS:S, they will charge your credit card right away for the entire amount. Therefore, Valve is selling HL2 next week, and reaping the profits from it, and screwing VU.

This is a brilliant move by Valve, and in my view is a direct result of the threat to hold the game for 6 months by VU.

ROFL! looks like someone found a loophole in VU's contract :) VU is going to take it hard on this one... this is a very smart move by Valve. Now all they need is an option to make backup copies of the Steam download that you can burn to a CD for a friend, then just use steam for the validation. 56k problem solved, and who doesn't have at least a 56k connection? So while everyone is downloading and activating CS:S, VU can watch their hardcopy sales disappear.

Micas said:
That made no sense.
It does make sense. You just don't understand.

What did I state that is not absolutely happening? Valve is releasing CS:S next week. In order to .........
...... And hold it right there. You're basing the rest of your theory on Valve releasing something official......... on time.

Now we all know Valve has a reputation concerning it's time-management and telling the truth, that is equal to dog poo. And a lot of people likely really really want CS:S to come out next week and for VU to be forced to release HL2, but, how many actually believe that will happen and would bet on it? Based on Valve's poor rep alone, not too many.

I'll go for the standard edition box, i don't need all the shwag and i can make my own DVD copy.

black_b[ ]x said:
ROFL! looks like someone found a loophole in VU's contract :) VU is going to take it hard on this one... this is a very smart move by Valve. Now all they need is an option to make backup copies of the Steam download that you can burn to a CD for a friend, then just use steam for the validation. 56k problem solved, and who doesn't have at least a 56k connection? So while everyone is downloading and activating CS:S, VU can watch their hardcopy sales disappear.

you can burn a backup of the .gcf files and give it to a friend on 56k, if you really wanted to.

of course your friend would need to have a steam account that was entitled to play the game otherwise the gcf is useless to them.

Mr_Evil said:
I'm pretty sure HL2 Coupon holders will get the gold package because those of us who have already registered the code with Steam are entitled to the Original Halflife and all its mods plus we got CS:S Beta. You should still be able to download the mods free of charge at a later date (They BETTER be free).

HL2 coupon holders from ATi get the bronze package.

You aren't paying for MODS, they aren't MODS anymore, Valve bought them, remember?

Back