The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Chry: yes, I reach BIOS and all appears normal. MEM shows the 2GB RAM. Not sure what component to remove as I believe they are all likely to be necessary: RAM, chip, power....
Do you know if there are any links about loading Linux specific to this motherboard?
Thanks - Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by artG8345
I bought the hardware for a miniITX unit: all the hardware seems to operate correctly. When I go to load Linux (Ubuntu) it just hangs. I've tried other steps, such as to use GParted to prepare any basic partitions...also hangs. When I am using a startup disk (either DVD or USB stick) then I get the starting Ubuntu logo but as it starts to load I get to a blinking underscore and it just stays there. I suppose I'm not knowledgeable enough about the starting steps for this...these steps worked for me on a basic desktop so I'm not sure what is the difference?
Art

Can you reach BIOS (first)?
I would try to isolate the fault as usual to a particular compnent by adding removing with ones you know are working. Also memtest to check RAM if you haven't already?

Chry: yes, I reach BIOS and all appears normal. MEM shows the 2GB RAM. Not sure what component to remove as I believe they are all likely to be necessary: RAM, chip, power....
Do you know if there are any links about loading Linux specific to this motherboard?
Thanks - Art

Strange. And no sorry. I don't have that motherboard but have run Linux fine on other HP Slimline... :confused:

Probably a bit over-the-top / obstructed HDD cooling solution. But I might as well put a spare 80mm fan to use. ;)
Secured between edge of case, SATA cable pushing out and ziptie securing to ODD cage.

14v1btt.jpg

Bought another Slimline off eBay. Standard inexplicable* no graphics problem.

Couldn't fix. Got a bit annoyed. Oven baked motherboard(!). It works again. Will probably fail again in time, to prolong will fix up a active cooling for the northbridge heatsink, let's see! :)

30256o0.jpg

33o662u.jpg

wqyq9k.jpg

If someone is planning buy a GTX 750 Ti for the Slimline, should see this thread before https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/708557/700-series-doesnt-work-with-hp-computers-why-/?offset=3
If you use a HP Motherboard,the Nvidia 700 series GCards doesnt works fine

Does this apply to older Bios HP slimlines only? I'm using a late 2012 HP s5-1414 i3-2130 slimline system w/factory Windows 8. I would hope that my BIOS would be current enough to use a Low-Profile NVidia Geforce 750. It's the AMI 8.07 08/29/2012 BIOS with UEFI support.

Since the PSU form factor on the HP s5-1414 matches nothing that I know of in the real world (thanks HP!), finding a quality-brand 400w-450w slim form-factor PSU upgrade for this system is all but impossible. Please correct me if I am wrong. My plan was to modify the system a bit, so that I could mount an regular ATX Enermax Revolution X't ATX 430 Watt Power Supply (w/Motherboard HP slimline PSU adapter) on some rubber feet on the desk directly behind my slimline (since I never move it) and simply run the modular cables necessary into the back on the slimline through the opening where my tiny 220W power supply used to be. I would also be upgrading the lone wimpy 92mm(?) internal mount fan inside the case to a stronger one to increase airflow in the case a bit more.

Any suggestions or advice about doing any of this - or should I just buy a new "regular sized" uATX/microATX case, motherboard, and PSU (mentioned above) and strip my HP Slimline down for parts to build the rest of the non-Slimline-sized system? I'm also assuming that I cannot use the HP motherboard in another case, since it probably has "non-standard" proprietary connections for various case components such as power/reset, LED indicators, etc. (like HP, Dell, etc. are famous for doing).

Last edited:
Does this apply to older Bios HP slimlines only? I'm using a late 2012 HP s5-1414 i3-2130 slimline system w/factory Windows 8. I would hope that my BIOS would be current enough to use a Low-Profile NVidia Geforce 750. It's the AMI 8.07 08/29/2012 BIOS with UEFI support.

Since the PSU form factor on the HP s5-1414 matches nothing that I know of in the real world (thanks HP!), finding a quality-brand 400w-450w slim form-factor PSU upgrade for this system is all but impossible. Please correct me if I am wrong. My plan was to modify the system a bit, so that I could mount an regular ATX Enermax Revolution X't ATX 430 Watt Power Supply (w/Motherboard HP slimline PSU adapter) on some rubber feet on the desk directly behind my slimline (since I never move it) and simply run the modular cables necessary into the back on the slimline through the opening where my tiny 220W power supply used to be. I would also be upgrading the lone wimpy 92mm(?) internal mount fan inside the case to a stronger one to increase airflow in the case a bit more.

Any suggestions or advice about doing any of this - or should I just buy a new "regular sized" uATX/microATX case, motherboard, and PSU (mentioned above) and strip my HP Slimline down for parts to build the rest of the non-Slimline-sized system? I'm also assuming that I cannot use the HP motherboard in another case, since it probably has "non-standard" proprietary connections for various case components such as power/reset, LED indicators, etc. (like HP, Dell, etc. are famous for doing).
You can run the GTX 750 with this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151116
GTX 750 draws around 50-60 watts,you dont need a lot of power}
The cards stays at 55°C-60°C,you have enogh space to keep fresh the card
About your case, you can run the card,the problem is caused for a older BIOS can't support Videocards with UEFI tecnology, this tecnologhy was implemented since 700 series,you machine is .relatively new,so you can be safe.

I just got a S5-1414. I noticed that on the bottom of the optical drive tray there are four holes that line up with the holes on the bottom of a 2.5" drive.

It looks like there's JUST room enough for a drive in there between the optical drive and the 3.5" hard drive.

I searched this huge thread trying to find out if this is true but didn't see any mention of it.

Can you put an SSD in there? (with another SATA cable and a splitter for the power cable)

And SHOULD you put an SSD in there? Right now I've got a typical 7200 RPM 1 TB drive in the system. If I put in an SSD should I use a low speed (lower heat) hard drive (or none at all)?

And has anybody had any luck getting OS X on an S5? Mine didn't have a hard drive or install media so I'm downloading the OEM Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft but I'd prefer to have a dual boot Hackintosh.

I just got a S5-1414. I noticed that on the bottom of the optical drive tray there are four holes that line up with the holes on the bottom of a 2.5" drive.

It looks like there's JUST room enough for a drive in there between the optical drive and the 3.5" hard drive.

I searched this huge thread trying to find out if this is true but didn't see any mention of it.

Can you put an SSD in there? (with another SATA cable and a splitter for the power cable)

And SHOULD you put an SSD in there? Right now I've got a typical 7200 RPM 1 TB drive in the system. If I put in an SSD should I use a low speed (lower heat) hard drive (or none at all)?

And has anybody had any luck getting OS X on an S5? Mine didn't have a hard drive or install media so I'm downloading the OEM Windows 8 ISO from Microsoft but I'd prefer to have a dual boot Hackintosh.

I have a s5-1414, and I just tested your findings. It seems all S5-1000 series and 400-000 series have the 2.5 mount below the optical tray. I tried fitting different size drives, and as long as it is below 7mm then you can have both. If the hard drive or SSD is above 7mm, then it will collide with the 3.5" hard drive. Use a splitter and an extra sata if you can. Boot from the SSD and keep the 1tb for storage. Hopefully this all made sense. Can post pictures if someone needs it for reference.

Also, you need to download Windows 8 Single Language. And your windows 8 key is saved in your bios, if you didn't already know. Just use that key and you are good to go.

Also, sorry, I do not know about installing OSX on this system.

hi guys,

glad to see this thread still continues and due to family life etc... ive missed out on all the gossip, upgrades and new tech.

so is it possible for someone to update me and if its possible to upgrade my pc even further as ive still got my hp slimeline to this day :D

as per specs on my signature everything is still the same so if anyone can tell me if i can do anything else without modding the case even further i would greatly appreciate it.

i still have the issue with the processor being unknown due to the bios never being updated by the manufacturer, so any help on this is appreciated.

as far as everything goes im a little out of date with tech information regarding graphic card/memory upgrades.

thanks for your help

cammy

hi guys,

glad to see this thread still continues and due to family life etc... ive missed out on all the gossip, upgrades and new tech.

so is it possible for someone to update me and if its possible to upgrade my pc even further as ive still got my hp slimeline to this day :D

as per specs on my signature everything is still the same so if anyone can tell me if i can do anything else without modding the case even further i would greatly appreciate it.

i still have the issue with the processor being unknown due to the bios never being updated by the manufacturer, so any help on this is appreciated.

as far as everything goes im a little out of date with tech information regarding graphic card/memory upgrades.

thanks for your help

cammy
Upgrades:
AMD Phenom x2/x4 (hard to find actually,for the obsolete socket) with a 65 watts TDP
4GB of ram
7750 Low Profile (the s7700 only have a single slot for expansion)
Seasonic SS 350 1U power supply
This upgrades costs a lot of money, i recommend you buy a used HP Slimline S3400 (with dual slot expansion slots) case and build a new machine with the new stuff (FM2+ or Intel 1155 /1150 socket) to create a decent gamign machine,if you want to play in your PC

Upgrades:
AMD Phenom x2/x4 (hard to find actually,for the obsolete socket) with a 65 watts TDP
4GB of ram
7750 Low Profile (the s7700 only have a single slot for expansion)
Seasonic SS 350 1U power supply
This upgrades costs a lot of money, i recommend you buy a used HP Slimline S3400 (with dual slot expansion slots) case and build a new machine with the new stuff (FM2+ or Intel 1155 /1150 socket) to create a decent gamign machine,if you want to play in your PC

ive got a 9600gt low profile installed but as for a quad core this does seem hard to find. can anyone tell me where to purchase these?

cheers cammy

My old slimline had the M2N61-AR motherboard, which was socket AM2. I bought a AMD 9350e and it worked perfect. Bought it on ebay, but I assume you have the A8MN-BR which may not recognize it.

ive got a 9600gt low profile installed but as for a quad core this does seem hard to find. can anyone tell me where to purchase these?

cheers cammy
Type the model of your PC, in HP Website to see the complete specifications and compatible processors
Probably you can find a used processor on Ebay, its impossible bought a new one with that socket,are out of production since 2010-2011.
Whats you PSU? i would consider a GT 640 or R7 240, the 9600gt was a amazing card in 2008,but now its old and runs with difficulties the last titlles, if you are fine with that card,a smart buy should be ,get a new motherboard to start a new rig.

My brother's HP Slimline s3421p is 6 years old and may need its power supply replaced or repaired. (If you're curious for the details, see the end of this post.)

Googling has turned up vague & conflicting info about compatibility of third party power supplies, so I have a few questions about specs:

1. Does the new power supply need to provide -5 volts?

The webpage below claims the 220w s3505f power supply is compatible with the s3421p and provides -5V:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA30R1M18300

But some of the power supplies recommended in this Slimline forum thread (FSP FSP270-60LE, Sparkle SPI270LE) don't output -5V.

2. Is an adapter needed to connect a Flex ATX power supply to the "mini ATX" power socket on the M2N61-AR Acacia motherboard? Is a pin schematic available for the motherboard's power socket that shows the voltage (or signal) of each pin?

I think the answers to those questions would be useful on page 1 of this thread. (If the specs depend on the specific model of Slimline, a chart showing specs of each model could be on page 1, or linked from page 1.)

(Problem description: Windows Vista freezes occasionally. Attempting to boot from a CD in the dvd drive fails and causes the dvd drive to be omitted from the BIOS' list of available drives. The PD Doctor diagnostics that came pre-installed showed faults with the 1394 port so I disabled the 1394 in Device Manager. The problems began after a thunderstorm that caused lights to flicker off; the UPS is a cheap standby unit. The computer seems stable now with the case open and dvd drive removed. The dvd drive works okay in a different computer. Capacitors on the motherboard and inside the power supply show no visible signs of failure: no leaked electrolyte, no bulges.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

My brother's HP Slimline s3421p is 6 years old and may need its power supply replaced or repaired. (If you're curious for the details, see the end of this post.)

Googling has turned up vague & conflicting info about compatibility of third party power supplies, so I have a few questions about specs:

1. Does the new power supply need to provide -5 volts?

The webpage below claims the 220w s3505f power supply is compatible with the s3421p and provides -5V:

But some of the power supplies recommended in this Slimline forum thread (FSP FSP270-60LE, Sparkle SPI270LE) don't output -5V.

2. Is an adapter needed to connect a Flex ATX power supply to the "mini ATX" power socket on the M2N61-AR Acacia motherboard? Is a pin schematic available for the motherboard's power socket that shows the voltage (or signal) of each pin?

I think the answers to those questions would be useful on page 1 of this thread. (If the specs depend on the specific model of Slimline, a chart showing specs of each model could be on page 1, or linked from page 1.)

(Problem description: Windows Vista freezes occasionally. Attempting to boot from a CD in the dvd drive fails and causes the dvd drive to be omitted from the BIOS' list of available drives. The PD Doctor diagnostics that came pre-installed showed faults with the 1394 port so I disabled the 1394 in Device Manager. The problems began after a thunderstorm that caused lights to flicker off; the UPS is a cheap standby unit. The computer seems stable now with the case open and dvd drive removed. The dvd drive works okay in a different computer. Capacitors on the motherboard and inside the power supply show no visible signs of failure: no leaked electrolyte, no bulges.)

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

1. More than likely it does provide -5v. If it is ATX Certified, then you have no need to worry.

2. Yes, you will need an adapter. You will need a 24 pin atx to 24 pin mini adapter. The pinout is the same as ALL 24 pin ATX power connectors. Just google and you will see.

It does sound like the power supply is weak. Will need to be replaced. You can use almost any "Flex ATX" power supply on any S3xxx series Slimline computers. Wattage does not matter as long as it is the same or higher than the original one. You will just need the adapter.

I think Freelancer1988 is in error about -5V being provided by modern power supplies. The following webpage shows the pinouts for ATX power connectors:

http://www.smpspowersupply.com/connectors-pinouts.html
"COMPUTER POWER SUPPLY: PINOUT, CABLES, CONNECTORS"

Note that the old (verson 1) 20pin connector provides -5V but the new (version 2) 24pin connector doesn't. (The corresponding pin on the 24pin connector is labeled 'NC' meaning "no connection.")

The following webpage has a lot of relevant info. It hints that -5V is needed only by (old) motherboards that have ISA slots:

http://www.smps.us/20-to-24pin-atx.html
"CONNECTING a POWER SUPPLY TO an ATX MOTHERBOARD WITH DIFFERENT PIN NUMBERS"
(Note the caution about non-standard wiring of HP and some other brands, and the need for special power supplies for those.)

What Freelancer wrote also conflicts with what Seasonic tech support wrote in a recent email, which says their SS-250SU doesn't provide -5V:

"There is no power supply spec on HP official website link you provided, but from newegg’s spec, the PSU is designed -5V, the SS-250SU is without -5V, so we could not support HP s3421p."

The Newegg spec they referenced is at one of two links that I'd provided to them:
http://www.cputopia.com/psu-replace-250-slim-hphp-s3421p.html

Those two ads for power supplies claim they're compatible with the Slimline s3421p. Both provide a -5V output. But -5V is not provided by the Seasonic SS-250SU power supply, nor by the Sparkle & FSP 270w power supplies (mentioned by others in this forum).

So it's still unclear to me whether a psu that lacks -5V will work. I tried googling to find the Acacia's power connector pinout, but no luck. Anyone have a link to the Acacia pinout diagram?

If I had to bet, I'd bet that -5V isn't needed for the Slimline, since the s3421p has no ISA slots. And I'd bet the two ads that claim their power supplies are compatible with the s3421p are peddling old version power supplies that ought to work anyway. (I'm assuming the -5V wire connects to a 'NC' pin in the Acacia's power socket that doesn't lead anywhere.) But I'd prefer more definitive info, since losing the bet could mean frying the computer.

The following adapters at Amazon both say they're for connecting to a Slimline motherboard's power socket:

http://www.amazon.com/Supply-Connector-Adapter-Slimline-MotherBorad/dp/B007YA18RS
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-CB-20M-24FHP-20-Pin-ATX-Mini/dp/B004BO94BC

The $9.99 adapter connects from a 20/24pin atx power supply. The $4.20 adapter connects from a 20 pin atx power supply.

It would help to have the Acacia's power socket pinout. Then after receiving the adapter, it can be scrutinized to make sure no mistake was made when it was manufactured. That would be better than finding a defect by frying the motherboard.

Also, just to be clear... will Flex ATX power supplies fit easily into a Slimline case, or will they need a new case?

Any chance of a do-it-myself repair of the stock psu? Which component(s) are likely to have failed/weakened? (As I wrote in my previous post, I saw no visible signs of failed capacitors.)

Does the dvd drive issue definitely imply the psu is at fault? Is there any way that failing capacitors on the motherboard could account for the dvd drive issue?

Thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So my sister's slimline bit the dust. Its a HP Pavilion s3500t. We think its a failed power supply but unfortunately she's in another city. Can anyone tell me the exact type of PSU type that these slimlines used, or if i can jerry rig something. I was thinking of this one (www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151123), but the dimensions don't match from what she tells me.

If i'm going to replace it, its going to be high quality and high efficiency to minimize heat. Thanks.

(Replying to Sudhakar2k)
Page 1 of this "The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread" has some info about power supplies said to be compatible with Slimlines. For example, the Sparkle SPI270LE (270 watts). Their form factor is called "Flex ATX."

Also, keep in mind that a power supply made by FSP (a huge and respected manufacturer) seems to be identical to the Sparkle: the FSP270-60LE.
http://www.amazon.com/FSP-Group-80Plus-Supply-FSP270-60LE/dp/B0015PSYLQ

Good luck, and please post your results here.

Last edited:
FSP also makes the FSP270-60LE-SL power supply. Note the -SL suffix, which means it has the MiniATX 24-pin power connector that fits Slimline motherboards, so an ATX-to-MiniATX adapter cable doesn't need to be purchased.

Here are some sources:
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/270-watt-HP-slimline-power-supply-FSP270-60LE-SL.php
http://www.supernotebook.com/power-supply.php?psupart=457017

(Note that their price is about the same as their price for the combination of the model without the -SL suffix and the adapter cable. The combination will provide more flexibility and a longer cable, but some users might prefer the shorter cable length and the presumably slightly better reliability of the single -SL cable.)

FSP also has a 200W model with the -SL suffix. But the vendor ads I've looked at appear to be "bait and switch"... shipping another brand, and not necessarily a model that has the MiniATX connector.

Last edited:
I'm going to try the Seasonic SS-300M1U. Its 300 watts, 80 Plus Gold, from a super reliable manufacturer, and supposedly compatible with Flex ATX. I'll have to get a MiniATX 24-pin adapter, but i think it'll should work out. I'll report back in a week or two on the results.

i bought a accelero l2 plus to finish the overheat of my 7850 , now i share the results

Fits perfect (need to use the 43mm screwholes and match without problem :D) , if someone is planning buy this card,i recommend you 100% this cooler,im getting 61°C max playing battlefield 4 thats insane (muy processor is now the hot component! ,and the noise is 70% quieter than the stock cooler, a world of difference

I put in right side a second fan to keep fresh the VRM and power phases,

Just had my s5280t system die on me and would like to pick up an identical system and move my HD and then PSU and GPU over for a quick fix.

Anyone selling? If so, what's your price? (a) full system, (b) system sans HD, RAM, and PSU

So now that I've got my system back up and running I'm thinking of three more upgrades for the old girl. Should give me two more years of usage.

GPU - Zotak Geforce GTX 650 1GB Low Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce...11783&sr=8-1&keywords=low+profile+gpu+650+gtx

SSD - Crucial 256GB SSD ... will become boot drive and existing HD becomes secondary
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100...UTF8&qid=1411411955&sr=1-2&keywords=250gb+ssd

CPU - Core 2 Quad 3GHz (Q9650) ... used off eBay if possible.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q9650-P...d_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W8NHFJ431MC7YH3RBF4

I have upgraded my PSU from stock, so I think I can handle these extra parts. But if someone thinks that power will definitely be an issue, I could up the SSD to 500GB and completely replace the existing HD rather than run with two internal drives.

Thoughts?

So now that I've got my system back up and running I'm thinking of three more upgrades for the old girl. Should give me two more years of usage.

GPU - Zotak Geforce GTX 650 1GB Low Profile
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce...11783&sr=8-1&keywords=low+profile+gpu+650+gtx

SSD - Crucial 256GB SSD ... will become boot drive and existing HD becomes secondary
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-MX100...UTF8&qid=1411411955&sr=1-2&keywords=250gb+ssd

CPU - Core 2 Quad 3GHz (Q9650) ... used off eBay if possible.
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Q9650-P...d_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0W8NHFJ431MC7YH3RBF4

I have upgraded my PSU from stock, so I think I can handle these extra parts. But if someone thinks that power will definitely be an issue, I could up the SSD to 500GB and completely replace the existing HD rather than run with two internal drives.

Thoughts?
the 750 LP destroys the gtx 650 and only costs 10 more bucks
http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-Computer-Video-Graphics-ZT-70702-10M/dp/B00JB1XJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411430655&sr=8-1&keywords=low+profile+750

Wow - thanks!! I haven't been looking closely at GPU hardware and would have missed that. Faster, with lower power requirements. Time to retire the old 9800GT.

I replaced the front facing USB ports with USB3 ones to utilise the upgraded MB header on this s3xxx case.

This was 50cm off length dual cable off eBay and loops round the edge of the case similar to the original cable. More work to do finishing the housing to make them stable...

28l419i.jpg

Last edited:
Power Supplies for HP Slimline s3000 series case (HP Code name: ARCHES, ARCHES2).

The HP Pavilion Slimline S3000 series (case) uses the FlexATX form factor power supply.
Dimensions:
3.2" width, 1.6" high, 5.9" length. (82mm width, 43mm height, 150mm length)

This same power supply form factor (Flex ATX) is used in Shuttle XPC and
other Small Form Factor (SFF) computers, such as IBM SurePOS, and 1U Rack Systems.

For the HP SLIMLINE power supply (OEM), the Drive and Motherboard power wires EXIT at the SIDE of the case,
while Athena and other OEM replacements have the wires exiting at the END of the supply.

Athena Flex ATX supply models go up to 500 watts -- in the same form factor length: 6" (150mm).
This is useful for users that add-on power graphics cards.
--
IF you use other manufacturers of Flex ATX power supplies, CHECK the Case Clearance and Wire dressing.
The Shuttle PC50 length is 7.4" (170mm), while lower wattage Shuttle PC40 is 6" (150mm).

Athena Power, Industry, CA has a wide variety of Flex ATX models,
http://athenapower.com/product/power-supply/flex-atx

I would recommend at least a 300 watt model for HP Pavilion Slimline (S3000) replacements.
This 300 Watt model is 80 PLUS Bronze rated: AP-MFATX30P8
Dimensions: 3.2" wide, 1.7" high, 6" length (82mm width, 43mm height, 150mm length).

Athena provides excellent Cross-Reference Tables, Look-up your HP Slimline model !!
http://athenapower.com/flexatx-compatibility-table

IF you plan to install a graphics card or a newer motherboard,
then a 400 watt should be considered, model: AP-MFATX40P8

Athena does supply mini 24-pin to standard ATX cable adapters for original HP Slimline motherboards.

List of HP Pavilion models that would require an adapter, IF using original OEM motherboard
http://athenapower.com/sites/athena...pply/flex-atx/ap-mfatx35/ap_mfatx25-30_cf.pdf

PART Number: ATX20M24H
http://athenapower.com/product/converteradapter-cable/replacement-cable/cable-atx20m24h

Athena Supplies are available from: MicroCenter, NewEgg, Fry's, and other retail computer stores/Internet.

Last edited:
The S3000 Slimline case (ARCHES, ARCHES2) is designed to accept either mini-ITX (mITX) or mini-DTX (mDTX) motherboards.

mini-DTX (mDTX) is 203mm x 170mm (2 expanstion slots).
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTX_(form_factor)

mini-ITX (mITX) is 170mm x 170mm (1 expansion slot; usually PCIE2: x16 mode)
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-ITX

There are a number of mITX motherboards to select from, but the 2-slot mDTX motherboards available are small.
Not all new motherboards (e.g. Intel series 7, 8, 9) are suitable for this case.

Criteria to use in motherboard selection:
... It is a good idea to examine component layouts of the original motherboard used in the case.
The HP Product page will have that information and pictorials or photos.

1. Clearances at rear of board for CD/DVD drive installation.
2. Clearances (height, side, and CD/DVD) for the CPU and its fan/heat-sink.
3. Adequate internal USB 2.0 headers (motherboard) to support the memory media, pocket drive, and USB 2.0 port(s) on the front panel of S3000 case (ARCHES, ARCHES2).
4. Location of 20/24-pin ATX power connector and 4-pin CPU connector.
5. IF memory (RAM) is located at rear of board, low profile memory may be required to fit underneath CD/DVD tray.

Availability of mDTX motherboards?

Asrock has recently released (May and October 2014) a couple of 2-slot (mDTX) motherboards,
that provides an Intel H81 upgrade path.
Dimensions are: 7.5-in x 6.7-in, 191 mm x 170 mm (stated as micro ATX form factor)

Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0 Product Page
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-VG4 R2.0/

Asrock H81M-DG4 Product Page
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-DG4/

2-Slots on these boards:
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x16 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 Slot

====
ECS also has a mini-DTX board, H81H3-M4 (V1.0A), released in July 2013.
This board features an HDMI port on Rear Panel and an internal header for a RS-232 serial port.
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Pr...oryID=1&DetailName=Feature&MenuID=172&LanID=9
====
Foxconn H81MXV-D 2.0 motherboard is 216mm x 173mm (8.5" x 6.8" ; 3-slot wide)
It would be a very tight fit for the HP S3000 Slimline case
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/ProductDetail.aspx?T=Motherboard&U=en-us0000632

I hope this is useful for those HP Pavilion Slimline S3000 owners considering upgrades to support
either Windows 7 or MS Windows 8.1 (future Windows 10).
==

Last edited:
These ASUS mITX motherboards offer about everything, but the kitchen sink!

BACK PANEL:
Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DVI/RGB/DisplayPort ports
- Supports HDMI with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DVI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports D-Sub (RGB) with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
- Supports DisplayPort with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

1 x DVI
1 x D-Sub
1 x DisplayPort
1 x HDMI

INTERNAL:
1 x M.2 Socket 3 for M Key, type 2260/2280 devices
1 x TPM header
----
The Z97I Plus adds:
Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.0
Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
====
A nice upgrade for those older HP Slimline S3000 (ARCHES, ARCHES2) cases.

ASUS H97I Plus
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H97IPLUS/

ASUS Z97I Plus
http://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97IPLUS/

Last edited:
Sorry I've been away so long- but the time has come to upgrade my graphics card again to a FULL SIZED GTX 760....
If you would like to see how this can be done I have done this before with a GTX 480 in a s5160f slimline....It's really a lot easier than you might think. Check out the pics and "how to" by looking at my previous Posts by Slimfast
I will try to post new pics and some other things I have learned along the way if anyone is interested. The new card comes this Wednesday and should just pop-right-in.

I updated my rig (FX 6300 with ECS A960 MV Motherboard) cuz the new games need a lot of CPU power and my APU becomes weak
Very happy with the results
Advanced Warfare : 60-50 fps high settings,SMAA and HBAO+
Far Cry 4 : 40 fps high settings,SMAA and HBAO+
The Crew: 60-45 fps High settings ,FXAA And HBAO+
Battlefield 4 (DX11) 70-55 Fps HIgh Settings HBAO+
Watch Dogs: 40-30 fps High Settings,SMAA and HBAO+
New specs
FX 6300
ECS A960 MV Micro ATX
Afox 7850 Low Profile
Laptop Hard Drive HGST 7200 Rpm (new)

call me crazy but I recently came across a brand new slimline 3020 and I ordered a phenom 2 x3 700 65 watts.

keeping in mind that is an AM 2 + chipand it goes up to 2.4 gigahertzI am currently running BIOS 5.07 and I look forward to when the processor arrives.
I noticed in your post that there is a 5.08 BIOS revisionor possibly even newer. if I can get the heat and power under control do you see any reason why this would not post? and also where may I find the 5.08 BIOS?

thank you for your help

purposes of this thread so I am afraid I will not receive any private messages. please if you cannot reach me here I would prefer that you email me directly at [email protected]

Well, I didn't do the upgrade I had planned last year. ...I"m thinking about doing it now! I have a 5280t CTO.

Thoughts?

- Gigabyte Low Profile 750 GTX TI OC with 2GB RAM
- Crucial BX100 250 GB SSD

Will relegate the original 500GB hard disk to 'data drive' duty and boot from the SSD.

I plan to purchase a second system next year when the requirements for VR headsets and games are a bit clearer.

------

Hmmmn. Is anyone running two HDs in their slimline? There appears to be space - just wondering if there are any hiccups involved.

Successfully installed all items. Ran a stress test and functioning fine...

GPU works like a charm, power draw significantly less than my old 9800GT low profile card.

The SSD did not really have enough space to fit 'officially' so I wedged it into place in the drive cage. The SSD is mounted to a 3.5" adapter making it a tight fit. However, the screws will not line up when inserted as a second drive. Still, the fit is very secure and is separated from the original 3.5" HD by a good amount of space.

I've also purchased a used 3.0Ghz Q9650 chip from eBay and will replace my 2.5GHz quad core chip with that. Only paid $45. This chip has 12MB of L2 cache and seems to run 10 - 20% faster on bechmarks.

You can get faster, cheaper quad core Xeon chips that have been converted from LGA 771 off of eBay. They don't work on every motherboard/chipset, but they appear to work with the HP s5280t (which uses a Pegatron motherboard and is officially listed as 'working' with modded chips).

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/3/#pegatron

Had I seen this I might have gone for the modded X5470 chip which runs at 3.33 GHz and can be had for a similar price off eBay (used pull from a server).

While the system was still great for work, my goal was to spend around $250 to get another year or so from this system for the next wave of games, and I think these upgrades have bought me that.

Back