The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

If the F_Panel connector is connected correctly, one end of the power button LED (Pwr LED) is connected (page 1-28). Check that the end that goes into the power switch is also connected. Also check that none of the wires to the switch are pinched or abraded.

The headphone jack is AC97 only. HD audio has a diferent jack and a different wiring scheme. Check the yellow plug to see if it is oriented correctly (page 1-26).

Power LED

2013_05_07_20_19_51.jpg

Here is it broken out of it's shell. The light just doesn't come on. The wire doesn't appear mangled and as with the audio below the plug will only go one orientation so it's not plugged in wrong. The switch and HD LED which are the other outputs of the MB connector are fine and functional so i presume the leads are bust in an unapparently way or the LED is blown. Not sure how I can test this ...maybe a AA battery connect test. Im limited in the wire work I can do, don't have a soldering iron to fix it back if I cut it up...

USB connector
Internal extendor sounds good but have now realised I have no internal headersleft on the M/B. There was only one set (of 2 9pins) which is feeding the card reader front panel and the internal wireless compnent. Bummer! maybe an adapter for the internal USB 3 header argh

Sound

2013_05_07_20_01_13.jpg

Well the yellow plug pin pattern means it can only go in one way so i believe it is plugged right.

The BIOS offers me HD Audio Controller as above with a Front Panel sub-option of HD audio or AC97. It doesn'y work in any of the 4 configurations here. Bit annoying!

I don't have this case anymore cos I gave it to my friend. This is a real nice case, slim and beautiful. What I don't like is the temperature of the harddisk. I added a fan by myself and it solved the problem. I post some of the pix here and hope this help.

Here is it broken out of it's shell. The light just doesn't come on. The wire doesn't appear mangled and as with the audio below the plug will only go one orientation so it's not plugged in wrong. The switch and HD LED which are the other outputs of the MB connector are fine and functional so i presume the leads are bust in an unapparently way or the LED is blown. Not sure how I can test this ...maybe a AA battery connect test. Im limited in the wire work I can do, don't have a soldering iron to fix it back if I cut it up...

Never connect an LED directly to a battery or power supply!
It will be destroyed almost instantly because too much current will pass through and burn it out.

http://electronicsclub.info/leds.htm

I end up here frequently on various projects.

With the correct placement of the connector, attached at both ends, no apparent breaks or shorts, and the other things on the front panel working, the logical assumption is that the LED is dead. Slimline switches look like they run about $15.00 USD (Ebay).

Internal extendor sounds good but have now realised I have no internal headersleft on the M/B. There was only one set (of 2 9pins) which is feeding the card reader front panel and the internal wireless compnent. Bummer! maybe an adapter for the internal USB 3 header argh

Actually, the adapter (USB 3.0 20 Pin Female To 2.0 9 Pin Adapter Cable) looks like a good deal. For $5 USD (Ebay) you get two USB 2.0 connections. I have had good luck with my purchases from China. I think the longest shipping time was 9 days.

You could hijack two of the external USB 2.0 connectors with USB A to 5-pin adapters but it would be a lot less elegant and a lot more expensive (about $20.00 USD). You could do the switch and internal for the same price.

http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB-9%252dPin-Internal-Motherboard-Male-Header-to-USB-Type%252dA-Adaptor.html

Well the yellow plug pin pattern means it can only go in one way so i believe it is plugged right.

The BIOS offers me HD Audio Controller as above with a Front Panel sub-option of HD audio or AC97. It doesn'y work in any of the 4 configurations here. Bit annoying!

I checked the MB spec to the AC97 spec and they match. Set the MB to AC97 and try updating the audio driver under Sound in the Device Manager.

I don't have this case anymore cos I gave it to my friend. This is a real nice case, slim and beautiful. What I don't like is the temperature of the harddisk. I added a fan by myself and it solved the problem. I post some of the pix here and hope this help.

I like the use of the standoff. Simple, direct, easy, cheap, and no permanent mods.

Power LED

2013_05_07_20_19_51.jpg

Have you tried swapping the HDD and Power LED? They should work the same. The Slimline uses dual-color PowerLED, meaning when reversing the polarity, the LED shows a different color. You can also try flipping the direction of the jumper.

No voltmeter sadly, assumption that LED bust - reasonable. I am disinclined to buy a new switchset.

Internal connector - couldn't find this on ebay! There was plenty of female usb2 to male usb3 but just could not find any with the male 9pin header I need! :(

On the sound front I installed the driver got the sound working out of the headphone so the hardware is fine. this lost the sound through the hDMI which was very annoying and I rolled the driver back. Losing will to address this problem also!.

On the plus side I will buy the graphics card this week. :D

When looking at the detail, I found a lot of cable descriptions that matched what is needed but the pictures didn’t match (male id’d as female). I only found one that the description and photo matched. Ebay description “USB3.0 19-Pin Female Header to USB2.0 9-Pin Male Header Converter Cable” ($19.95 USD)

Also at ModDIY http://www.moddiy.com/products/USB3...B2.0-9%2dPin-Male-Header-Converter-Cable.html but with $9.95 shipping. I also found what looks to be the right adapter at Corsair but no description http://www.corsair.com/corsair-carbide-granite-accessory-box.html ($4.99) or http://www.corsair.com/us/parts/case-parts/obsidian-series-550d-accessory-kit-including-screws.html ($3.99).

Just for the sake of completeness, other options are to get a USB3 female to USB3 female connector and use an USB3 male to 5 pin or 10 pin Dupont adapter (lots of these). Or get a USB3 female to USB2 type A, cut the ends off and attach 5 pin or 10 pin Duponts. Of course that gets into pin crimping etc.

If you start feeling sick as a parrot, it is time to back off the project for a while.

Ahhhnnd it's here :)

Just for reference this was the Radeon HD 7750 Low profile (HIS) .
The best Low Profile GPU out there in the world bar the very dear(3x price!) Afox 7850 LP :rolleyes: (not sure that one fits this case either...)

It was joining the Intel 3220, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM on the Asus P8H77-i board with a 250W PSU. I also put the ODD back in the case.

DSCF6263.jpg

zz_DSCF6747_small.jpg

zz_DSCF6761_small.jpg

zz_DSCF6763_small_2.jpg

win_exp_score_w_gpu.jpg

As you can see it fits and now all that is holding me back on the Win Exp Score is the HDD!

More pics , proper benchmarks and some temp stats to follow.

Happy :)

Last edited:
Ahhhnnd it's here :)

Just for reference this was the Radeon HD 7750 Low profile (HIS) .
The best Low Profile GPU out there in the world bar the very dear(3x price!) Afox 7850 LP :rolleyes: (not sure that one fits this case either...)

It was joining the Intel 3220, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM on the Asus P8H77-i board with a 250W PSU. I also put the ODD back in the case.

DSCF6263.jpg

zz_DSCF6747_small.jpg

zz_DSCF6761_small.jpg

zz_DSCF6763_small_2.jpg

win_exp_score_w_gpu.jpg

As you can see it fits and now all that is holding me back on the Win Exp Score is the HDD!

More pics , proper benchmarks and some temp stats to follow.

Happy :)

Amazing rig dude to all check my video i have a HP Slimline moddified too :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcOXNYttuMA heres before the PSU modding,i have the Athena Power Flex 400 Watts 80 Plus,good performance, i probe the effciene with the 6770 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2CPwZ2I3E with crappy modding ( dont have many tools to do a clean work
Now i have a new case (the PSU died my fault with a electric pulse trying to remove the 40mm crappy fan
I buy the new Zotac Low Profile, i re4commend if you dont like the 7750 LP, the performance are the same, but if you are a Nvidia Boy, you aprreciated the new Lp powerfull card,the GTS 450 isnt anymore in production
I sell the Zotac GTX 650 2 weeks ago ,because dont feel the difference between GT 640 ,only max the games in medium quality in 1680 x 1050, with the GT 640 i play in 1280 X 960 in Medium
Now i have the PSU very well cooled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPsrH__acQ as you can see, my modding skills are bad, i just make a hole to put 2 cooler Master 80mm Slim Fans ,this time dont remove the stock fan for the consecuences to the last PSU and i see the fan moves with the air produced by the 2 fans ,its a exzpensive but is more passionate (i need to sell my smartphone to continue the project :D ,150 bucks in 2 PSU :( )
I love the case,for the size, natural DVD burner slot, and HDD 3.5 inches,drive and can put a powerfull low Profile card with this excelent PSU, i dont think the 7850 LP is overpriced, Afox engineers do a amazing job to put inside a powerful Mid-High range chip i nthat desing,and they are the only customer to produces the card,the bad notice apears when i saw the only review , the fans dont make enough airflow to reduce excessive heat , to fiz that problem i buy 4 or 5 50 or 60mm fans like this http://www.endpcnoise.com/e/images/60_mm_fan.jpg[/] and remove the stock fans, glue this fans and probe the GC
My Specs are:
HP Slimline case (S3000 series)
Gigabyte A75N.USB3 ITX Case
8GB Ram DDR3 Kingston Genesis 1600MHz Dual Channel
AMD A8 3870K Quad Core 3.0GhZ (bad lucky, i buy the mobo and processor 2 months before Trinity comes to the market,but its ok, the 7850 dont make a huge bottleneck)
Gemin II M4 Cooler with 120mm blade fan
LG DVD burner (i changed the side of the drive,because the CPU cooler blocks the space to insert the SATA and power cables, i need to remove the DVD door of the case and make a 3 or 4 mm hole for the tray outs
Nvidia GT 640 (only 4 days more to, a very good choice for light gaming, runs everything in medium settings,Blacks Ops 2 can be maxed out , probably draws 45 or 50 watts, dont need 6 pin connection, and cheap ,i bought the card for 80 bucks 4 moths ago (75 + 5 for 2 LP brakets)
Finally the dream makes complete,when i put the most powerfull card in the market, i hope can handle Battlefield 4 in Ultra Settins,removing all AA and Filtres

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, new to the forum and joined immediately upon finding this thread.
Firstly, Kudos to your Rigs, some impressive machines out there! Nice work ;)

I'm not a very technical user but I can build and follow instructions well. Only thing I shy away from is splicing/board work. Main problem I have is processing all of the info, just on this thread and working out what would work for me/my PC.
Reason for the unusual interest I have recently found is that the original 160W PSU went kablooey and I replaced this with a 250W PSU.
This one if you require the specs for the rest of my post/questions- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190839669...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1528wt_959

I'm currently running a S3644uk- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3793684&prodTypeId=12454 Standard apart from the PSU. I really want to upgrade it as far as I can with the 250W unit but don't know where to start.

I did try to read as much of the thread as I could but by p15, my nose started to bleed. By p20 I understood that that I didn't understand what I'd just read and then I stopped around p?? because I lost the ability to count.

Don't worry about additional cooling if you deem it necessary with whatever upgrades you might suggest, I will fab an aluminium (black, of course) mesh cover from car grill mesh or maybe just a panel, depends how much venting I need.

It currently runs Vista Home Premium but will be upgrading (new install) Win 7 Ultimate next week, already on order.

So, let me know what I can do with 250W. Please let me know about any updates and other technical stuff I need to do to get it to work or point me in the right direction.
We use it mainly for HT, heavy online DL/streaming and light gaming atm. Would be nice to get it prepped for BF4 though as I'm thinking of making the transition from PS3 to PC when it comes out.

Hope you can help me and thanks.

Last edited:
Hi guys, new to the forum and joined immediately upon finding this thread.
Firstly, Kudos to your Rigs, some impressive machines out there! Nice work ;)

I'm not a very technical user but I can build and follow instructions well. Only thing I shy away from is splicing/board work. Main problem I have is processing all of the info, just on this thread and working out what would work for me/my PC.
Reason for the unusual interest I have recently found is that the original 160W PSU went kablooey and I replaced this with a 250W PSU.
This one if you require the specs for the rest of my post/questions- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190839669...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1528wt_959

I'm currently running a S3644uk- http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3793684&prodTypeId=12454 Standard apart from the PSU. I really want to upgrade it as far as I can with the 250W unit but don't know where to start.

I did try to read as much of the thread as I could but by p15, my nose started to bleed. By p20 I understood that that I didn't understand what I'd just read and then I stopped around p?? because I lost the ability to count.

Don't worry about additional cooling if you deem it necessary with whatever upgrades you might suggest, I will fab an aluminium (black, of course) mesh cover from car grill mesh or maybe just a panel, depends how much venting I need.

It currently runs Vista Home Premium but will be upgrading (new install) Win 7 Ultimate next week, already on order.

So, let me know what I can do with 250W. Please let me know about any updates and other technical stuff I need to do to get it to work or point me in the right direction.
We use it mainly for HT, heavy online DL/streaming and light gaming atm. Would be nice to get it prepped for BF4 though as I'm thinking of making the transition from PS3 to PC when it comes out.

Hope you can help me and thanks.

With 250 watts you can handle the 7750 LP or GTX 650 LP http://www.amazon.com/Zotac-GeForce-Express-Graphics-ZT-61008-10M/dp/B00BM1PA9C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1368898133&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=gtx+650+low+profil
i reccomend you the GTX 650,its ridiculous silent, the fan runs quiet ,but the temps are high (i reach 85°C playing Battlefield 3) if you touch the case, you can burn,but its ok, i dont know how cools run the 7750LP, both performance are the same, its your choice
I like Vista, im ussing 64 Bits version, Windows 7 for me have isssues with 64 Bits memory usage,always the system uses 25 to 30% RAM (i have 8Gigs) in vista never takes more than 20% and for my look the speed its same

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Fingers crossed it works ok for me then. Going from Vista HP 64 to Win7 Ult 64 btw. I miss XP! :D
Thanks for the recommendations. Will put them on the shortlist ;)

Read a bit more now...

Will I see a noticeable improvement using a quad over the triple processor I currently have?

Anything else I should consider? More RAM I guess ;)

Happy with the 500GB HD and the Blu-Ray player for now ;)

Last edited:
Fingers crossed it works ok for me then. Going from Vista HP 64 to Win7 Ult 64 btw. I miss XP! :D
Thanks for the recommendations. Will put them on the shortlist ;)

Read a bit more now...

Will I see a noticeable improvement using a quad over the triple processor I currently have?

Anything else I should consider? More RAM I guess ;)

Happy with the 500GB HD and the Blu-Ray player for now ;)

4GB is enogh for all uses, incluidng gaming,i like minimize the browser ,when the game is loading i browse something, but you need 8 Gigabytes to feel the system fluid; if you machine uses DDR3,costs 40 bucks a good pair of 2 x 4 GB sticks
500GB is good capacity,i have the same HDDy,with 15 games (3 uses 60 GB =) ) rest 138GB, should upgfrade to 1TB for the upcoming games (Bioshock,Battlefield 4, Far Cry 3 )
What processor do you have? A dual core (2.0+ghz) its enough if you planning bought the 7750 or GTX 650LP, a quead core processor gives a little boos to the graphics card, but its hard to find a 65 watts AM2 processor or 775 Intel processor, the last HP slimline have the 1156 crappy socket (Intel lefts the developing of powerfull processor with this socket,i really want upgrade my Core I5 750 and after 6 months uses a new socket WTF) that the reason i changed to AMD , in my opinion go for the 7750, Nvidia last drivers sucks, i having issues with Battlefield 3, Cod Balck Ops,shows artifacts and glitches, isnt the card, because 310.90 drivers works a lot better

I'll be honest, some of what you said went straight over my head!

Because we DL so much, intending to get a 2TB HD. Already got a 1TB external full of Films/Music ;)

Currently running a triple core 1.9GHz AMD CPU.

RAM sockets only DDR2 but considering 2x 4GB sticks, not sure if it will be compatible with the mobo as specs don't mention a max capacity and fecked if I can find anyone who uses 8GB on an Acacia board. Probably in the thread but my environment processing unit hurts trying to understand you guys, mere mortal that I am.

Keep 'em coming!

Sorry for the photo-spam but here was my install of 7750lp

DSCF6743.jpg

DSCF6744.jpg

DSCF6747.jpg

DSCF6750.jpg

DSCF6751.jpg

DSCF6752.jpg

DSCF6753.jpg

DSCF6755.jpg

DSCF6756.jpg

DSCF6757.jpg

DSCF6758.jpg

DSCF6759.jpg

DSCF6760.jpg

DSCF6761.jpg

DSCF6763.jpg

DSCF6765.jpg

Last edited:
For those to who such things have meaning here are some GPU specs + 3DMark Benchmarks of the PC before and after GPU install. (ie. integrated graphics HD 2500 of the i3 vs dedicated graphics of HD Radeon 7750LP

gpu_installed.jpg

z_3_DMark_test_no_card.jpg

z_3dmark_with_gpu.jpg

Last edited:
And finally (and hopefully of wider interest) here are some temperature readings

1. During the 3D Mark test. It's quite a busy graph! I have mapped load and temps for both CPU and GPU (both CPU cores give a temp reading)

image.jpg

Key Points:

>The GPU seem doesn't go above 62ish even on prolonged load. The fans kick up a notch* to keep it there apparently...

>The CPU didn't get taxed too much but you can see it touching 60 very rarely when it does (physics tests?)

>The GPU is quite efficient at bringing it's temps back down quickly when it gets a bit less load!

*Literally a notch! 1-3% of fan max according to the stats. and that is not even 50%fan max!?

2. To double check the GPU temps under a more normal situation this is me playing (for a prolonged period :p ) Just Cause 2:

jc2.jpg

>GPU really good at keeping itself at 65 upper limit!

>note. poweron idle temp of about 35

Thoughts (please comment with your own)
>pretty good temperatures - nothing crazy worrying. And the GPU certainly capable of keeping itself in a comfortably safe zone.
>would need to watch the CPU under prolonged load - might be worth testing this next
>I know some of you worry about the HDD. I haven't been monitoring it but did note it was at 50oC after one of the sessions.

Last edited:
RAM sockets only DDR2 but considering 2x 4GB sticks, not sure if it will be compatible with the mobo as specs don't mention a max capacity and fecked if I can find anyone who uses 8GB on an Acacia board. Probably in the thread but my environment processing unit hurts trying to understand you guys, mere mortal that I am.

The specs do say if you follow the motherboard link through:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01321559

I'd then general google the question to double check which gets you all of
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c01321559#N143
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/ASUSM2N61ARACACIAGL6EMotherboardDDR2533MHz.html
http://www.archmemory.com/memory.cf...oards-M2N61-AR-ACACIA-GL6E-DDR2-800MHz--30501
http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/memory-ram-upgrades/model/Asus~Motherboard~Acacia+M2N61-AR
http://www.memoryupgradecompany.com...IAGL6EMotherboardDDR2800MHzMemoryUpgrade.html

Amazing rig dude to all check my video i have a HP Slimline moddified too :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcOXNYttuMA heres before the PSU modding,i have the Athena Power Flex 400 Watts 80 Plus,good performance, i probe the effciene with the 6770 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ2CPwZ2I3E with crappy modding ( dont have many tools to do a clean work
Now i have a new case (the PSU died my fault with a electric pulse trying to remove the 40mm crappy fan
I buy the new Zotac Low Profile, i re4commend if you dont like the 7750 LP, the performance are the same, but if you are a Nvidia Boy, you aprreciated the new Lp powerfull card,the GTS 450 isnt anymore in production
I sell the Zotac GTX 650 2 weeks ago ,because dont feel the difference between GT 640 ,only max the games in medium quality in 1680 x 1050, with the GT 640 i play in 1280 X 960 in Medium
Now i have the PSU very well cooled http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAPsrH__acQ as you can see, my modding skills are bad, i just make a hole to put 2 cooler Master 80mm Slim Fans ,this time dont remove the stock fan for the consecuences to the last PSU and i see the fan moves with the air produced by the 2 fans ,its a exzpensive but is more passionate (i need to sell my smartphone to continue the project :D ,150 bucks in 2 PSU :( )
I love the case,for the size, natural DVD burner slot, and HDD 3.5 inches,drive and can put a powerfull low Profile card with this excelent PSU, i dont think the 7850 LP is overpriced, Afox engineers do a amazing job to put inside a powerful Mid-High range chip i nthat desing,and they are the only customer to produces the card,the bad notice apears when i saw the only review , the fans dont make enough airflow to reduce excessive heat , to fiz that problem i buy 4 or 5 50 or 60mm fans like this http://www.endpcnoise.com/e/images/60_mm_fan.jpg[/] and remove the stock fans, glue this fans and probe the GC
My Specs are:
HP Slimline case (S3000 series)
Gigabyte A75N.USB3 ITX Case
8GB Ram DDR3 Kingston Genesis 1600MHz Dual Channel
AMD A8 3870K Quad Core 3.0GhZ (bad lucky, i buy the mobo and processor 2 months before Trinity comes to the market,but its ok, the 7850 dont make a huge bottleneck)
Gemin II M4 Cooler with 120mm blade fan
LG DVD burner (i changed the side of the drive,because the CPU cooler blocks the space to insert the SATA and power cables, i need to remove the DVD door of the case and make a 3 or 4 mm hole for the tray outs
Nvidia GT 640 (only 4 days more to, a very good choice for light gaming, runs everything in medium settings,Blacks Ops 2 can be maxed out , probably draws 45 or 50 watts, dont need 6 pin connection, and cheap ,i bought the card for 80 bucks 4 moths ago (75 + 5 for 2 LP brakets)
Finally the dream makes complete,when i put the most powerfull card in the market, i hope can handle Battlefield 4 in Ultra Settins,removing all AA and Filtres[/QUOTE]

These videos are amazing - especially the one where you have put a full size card in ! :cool:

Especially jealous of that monster CPU cooler in 1st video, might have to get me something like that...did you have to move the CD drive to fit that?

Worried to hear about your PSUs getting stressed out, we shall see how my new one copes...

Interesting to get an AMD CPU perspective - I went down an Intel route after a long consideration - my alternative would have been Trinity APU A8 or A10 probably..much better value than the Intel!

Looking forward to how you get on with your 7850 - please do share pictures etc..
I think it will be a challenge but you are clearly up for making as many case mods as necessary to make it work! :) - just be careful you don't cook the expensive thing! :(

These videos are amazing - especially the one where you have put a full size card in ! :cool:

Especially jealous of that monster CPU cooler in 1st video, might have to get me something like that...did you have to move the CD drive to fit that?

Worried to hear about your PSUs getting stressed out, we shall see how my new one copes...

Interesting to get an AMD CPU perspective - I went down an Intel route after a long consideration - my alternative would have been Trinity APU A8 or A10 probably..much better value than the Intel!

Looking forward to how you get on with your 7850 - please do share pictures etc..
I think it will be a challenge but you are clearly up for making as many case mods as necessary to make it work! :) - just be careful you don't cook the expensive thing! :(

Thanks , i dream make this powerfull rig on this case, this project starts since the last year (October 2012) the PSU is good, but the noise make me crazy :D
For the next answer,For sure, i share (as fast be possibble) the pics of the rig finished and probalby make a complete review of the card (i only see 1 and its short, looking for a future builders to this case) , in Thurday my pay is coming :D and i already talk with Afox to inform me about the payment and shipping, probably i get the card in May 27-28 (The ship takes 3 or 4 days,if i save money this week could be pay a 48 hours ship to get the card faster)
The CPU cooler is good, with the Gemin II M4 the CPU runs in idle 14°C ,gaming ups to 50°C, i ruins the stock fan tring to clean the PC :/, anyway i changed for a better cooler sure or later, but the GPU need some modding to improve heat dissipation, i bought 3 o 4 50 or 60mm fan (im looking for the bigger fans could put in the heatsink) to get 80°C,if the GTX 650 its hot, the 7850 will be more hot :D
I move the side of the DVD tray, if i try to put in the normal way,the CPU cooler blocks the space to connect the SATA and PSU energy connector, the solution is changes the side of the bay ,that makes possible connect the DVD burnerd without blocks the fan and IO connectors, and need to quit the DVD case door and make a little hole in this part
cpu-hp-pavilion-slimline-s3000-2gb-400gb-intel-core-2-duo-mla-o-4121855692-042013-641308.html

Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'll have to stick with my existing RAM then.
Reduces the cost of the whole thing I guess ;).

So, best I can do is upgrade the GPU and Processor.
Already have 2 recommendations for the GPU.

Thinking of the Phenom 9350e for the CPU. Think that's the best that'll work in the mobo. Just let me know if I'm wrong ;)
Would I need to update the BIOS for this to work?

Last edited:
Thanks for the confirmation. Looks like I'll have to stick with my existing RAM then.
Reduces the cost of the whole thing I guess ;).

So, best I can do is upgrade the GPU and Processor.
Already have 2 recommendations for the GPU.

Thinking of the Phenom 9350e for the CPU. Think that's the best that'll work in the mobo. Just let me know if I'm wrong ;)
Would I need to update the BIOS for this to work?

http://hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=23543680

I'd guess any idea anyone had is already on this thread somewhere ;)

intuitively there is another Slimline with your board and that CPU so your chances of BIOS support are near certain;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3793684&prodTypeId=12454

do read those posts from the search function and see that you may want to keep Vista to change the BIOS and switch to 7 after....

do you need to upgrade? - what BIOS version are you on?

Do have a think about the CPU and check out benchmarks. It may be negligible gain from your existing one...that said for these particular purposes and depending on different games the CPU is (relatively) unimportant (and GPU is)

Last edited:
http://hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=23543680

I'd guess any idea anyone had is already on this thread somewhere ;)

intuitively there is another Slimline with your board and that CPU so your chances of BIOS support are near certain;
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...portFAQ&prodSeriesId=3793684&prodTypeId=12454

do read those posts from the search function and see that you may want to keep Vista to change the BIOS and switch to 7 after....

do you need to upgrade? - what BIOS version are you on?

Do have a think about the CPU and check out benchmarks. It may be negligible gain from your existing one...that said for these particular purposes and depending on different games the CPU is (relatively) unimportant (and GPU is)

I agree, that processor is old and probably doenst boost the games with a good recent card (7750 or GTX 650), if you want play lastest games ,i recommend you sell the parts,keep the case, and get some more recent mobo (AMD FM2 or Intel Core 1155 socket ITX motherboard) AMD A8 5600k or Intel Core i3 2100 boths performance better and consumes less power ,very important point for you small PSU, do it if you can spend more money (Mobo and proccesor cost you about 150 or 190 depending the configuration + 40 buvks in 8GB of RAM, i see in web sites and HP original parts sells in good prices),or you can get the processort,its ok check the list of yous mobo in HP web and see if the mobo BIOS upgrades gives support to your processor,

Benchmark for the 'old' CPU is 1539. 'New' one is rated at 2219.
Bios update is the same, 5.18 for both CPU's so no problem there as far as I can see.

Also plumping for the 7750 GPU atm.

Maybe as BF4 gets closer, I'll weigh up the personal pro's and cons of a newer system, just re-using the GPU and PSU vs getting me a PS4...

I'll get back to you ;)

Benchmark for the 'old' CPU is 1539. 'New' one is rated at 2219.
Bios update is the same, 5.18 for both CPU's so no problem there as far as I can see.

Also plumping for the 7750 GPU atm.

Maybe as BF4 gets closer, I'll weigh up the personal pro's and cons of a newer system, just re-using the GPU and PSU vs getting me a PS4...

I'll get back to you ;)
Ah okay, looks like that extra core does make a difference! ;)

Presumably you are drawing your 2219 number from here: http://www.cpubenchmark.net/mid_range_cpus.html
Do note the entry about 20 down the list from the 9350e you are contemplating:
"AMD Phenom 9150e Quad-Core [2,145]"
Worth a quick check to see if you can get a better price: as it looks similar cpu power...

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that.
Did a search previously and they're very cheap now but found a 9350e and if I can get it for the BIN price of the 9150e, it's all good ;)

Looking at the projected specs of the PS4 and taking into consideration how much it'd cost to build a similar kit from the ground up, even negating the optimization of the Sony gear, I can't see me ever bothering to try PC gaming seriously.
Add to that, most of my friends are PS based and the Mrs is the primary PC user (ie- I'll need to work my butt off to earn enough brownie points to play!) It just makes more sense.

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate the advice. I'll let you know how it goes and maybe even post some pics.

Bad news,the bank only give me 1/3 of my pay,i need that money to pay the card =[,I dont know why,but I checked and give me a report to chevk whats happen ,for my luck I need check this issue, before buy the card,if all resolved tomorrow,promise send the pay to afox inmediatly,if all ok,the card comes to me in June 1st week , i expect all solves

I am not sure who you are buying from. I would stay away from anything that pay by western union...

I am not sure who you are buying from. I would stay away from anything that pay by western union...

AFOX its in China, and they send me a PDF to pay the card, i choose Western Union because its cheaper than Paypal )the other way to pay) and the payment takes the same time, i sending the ticket, probably the card comes in 2 days :D

Ok,today i recieved a email from Afox,the card is already sent :D, probably in Wednesday or Thurday finally put in my HP Slimline i can't wait :D

Ok, guys i will have a trouble putting the card in, a metal pice of the ODD blocks a important space to this amazing large card,this part dont gonna fits if i dont remove that piece

afox-7850-piccola_t_zps4ffe1697.jpg

the card lenght is 23 CM and that piece is in 19 cm, someone tell me if its possible rotate the HDD holder 180° to change the side of that piece like in this picture i show?

08PowerWireRouting_zps45481c92.jpg

or its better just cut

Ok, guys i will have a trouble putting the card in, a metal pice of the ODD blocks a important space to this amazing large card,this part dont gonna fits if i dont remove that piece

the card lenght is 23 CM and that piece is in 19 cm, someone tell me if its possible rotate the HDD holder 180° to change the side of that piece like in this picture i show?

or its better just cut

I knew you were going to run into this problem as the 7850 was likely so long!.

The HDD caddy is shaped I think so you can't flip/turn it to get the tab to the other side.

Cut it off and tape it. This was what I was planning to do if my 7750 was too long.(it was close)

The tab doesn't serve any purpose other than making the caddy easy to grab anyway..

Try and do it neatly and I would tape the sharp end so it doesn't scratch the GPU.

Also note you will have to remove the GPU every time you want to take the HDD out.

And you will need to check that you can attach the SATA cables to the HDD and still get the GPU in*. If that doesn't fit we will have to think of something more creative - maybe flip the HDD round within the caddy so the ports are at the north of the case...

Let us know what you are thinking :) & Good Luck

*with the 45 degree header I don't think this will be a problem, everything is nicely tucked in...

Last edited:
I have done an overlay for you vs the 7750 I have.

This won't be merfect sizing my I did make sure the PCIe headers matched exactly for the best estimate...

7750_7850_overlay.jpg

7850 5.40 picture length
7750 4.08 picture length

Again from the picture only and from what I know of the 7750 length (I measured it) I would say the 7850 may be more like 25 cm long? Where did you get your 23cm number from?

Is it just the comment here:
http://www.overclock.net/products/afox-hd7850-low-profile-2048mb/reviews/5309

I can't find any other definite answer from Afox/the internet - how annoying.

Last edited:
I have done an overlay for you vs the 7750 I have.

This won't be merfect sizing my I did make sure the PCIe headers matched exactly for the best estimate...

7750_7850_overlay.jpg

7850 5.40 picture length
7750 4.08 picture length

Again from the picture only and from what I know of the 7750 length (I measured it) I would say the 7850 may be more like 25 cm long? Where did you get your 23cm number from?

Is it just the comment here:
http://www.overclock.net/products/afox-hd7850-low-profile-2048mb/reviews/5309

I can't find any other definite answer from Afox/the internet - how annoying.

Ok, i just cut that piece :S, 23 or 25 cm , i read in Afox website and the person who takes the order give me a aproximate size of the card (23 and something),whatever i need remove it that piece, i show up the card inside when its installed it, make a little review for help the forum,i search about some person who have the same card (yeah its really hard,but i dont think be the first) in Steam i found some guy already buy that card but he had a s5000 slimline (bigger) , i am scared because he tell me the card just die after 2 months of gaming :( , i wish my card dont die in arrival, if reachs more than 80°C in intense,gaming i mooded with 3 60mm slim fans in the dissipation aluminum block and put other 120mm in the door like this guy
2qb5caq.jpg

Ok, i just cut that piece :S, 23 or 25 cm , i read in Afox website and the person who takes the order give me a aproximate size of the card (23 and something),whatever i need remove it that piece, i show up the card inside when its installed it, make a little review for help the forum,i search about some person who have the same card (yeah its really hard,but i dont think be the first) in Steam i found some guy already buy that card but he had a s5000 slimline (bigger) , i am scared because he tell me the card just die after 2 months of gaming :( , i wish my card dont die in arrival, if reachs more than 80°C in intense,gaming i mooded with 3 60mm slim fans in the dissipation aluminum block and put other 120mm in the door like this guy

I think with the s5000 case the GPU is right next to (above) the PSU so you may actually be better off with your s3000 case for GPU airflow (in terms of getting outside air straight in and onto the GPU)...

hp-pavilion-slimline-s5160f-inside_maxwidth.jpg

You can make hoods to make sure the fans pull in from outside only and then if needed you could cut some vents in the bottom of the case & try and raise it up slightly so it has more clearance to get air in below.

Last edited:
Back