The Highest-Paid College Majors

Majoring in nuclear engineering is no longer possible at most schools

It is at any school worth a darn.

No jobs in it. You either work for Westinghouse or GE doing technical writing, regulate as a fed, or become a plant rat working on anything but the reactor. It's an overly specific ME degree for which no one will hire you, assuming your a physicist.

I got My NE degree and stayed three more semesters for a ME. Got a job in plastics.

I am a plant rat. And I work on the reactor.

I worked at a nuclear power plant for a year. Nuclear engineering has been taken out of a lot of schools. There are a few schools that do reactor engineering though. They made a lot more than my starting salary at that place

There is no such degree as reactor engineering.

Engineering is a great way to start your career, but most won't get very far with it. It sounds great when you start at $65k after graduation, but unless you get your MBA and move to management, you're probably going to cap out at ~$130k.

And this is a problem why?

You can support a family of four (not lavishly, but well enough) off income like that. Or you could skip the kids and travel the world with that much bank.

The only reason you could desire more than low six-figure income is if you have expensive tastes (LFA instead of FRS, if you want a car analogy). If you can find fun in less than the best, you enjoy an upper mid-range salary just as well.

I am a reactor engineer, aka, a fuel system engineer. I plan and analyze all scheduled reactivity maneuvers for control rod pattern changes, maintenance downpowers, startups, shutdowns etc. and directly support the operators in their execution. I perform a number of reactivity related tech spec surveillances and other period tests. I plan all fuel movement: reloads, offloads, core shuffles, dry cask loading, "other" fuel moves. I perform new fuel receipt inspections and irradiated fuel inspections. I also do other ancillary reactor related work, tracking and trending reactor performance, core component lifetime monitoring, special nuclear material control and accountability.

BWR reactor engineers are "THE" nuclear engineers on site. There may be other degreed nuclear engineers working in other engineering groups, but we are the real nukes. BWR reactor engineers are almost exclusively degreed nuclear engineers. And when it comes to the reactor, I consider it mine. I see the fuel from manufacture, to receipt, to loading, to discharge.

Of course, that is only for the next couple of weeks until I transition to ops and start license class.

Man, no Biology representation on there. I thought at least something in the Health Care industry would make it. That's what I do, working in a pathology lab at a city hospital, I'd come in at about #2 on that list after 7 years working. To qualify took 4 years of college for my B.Sc., followed by 3 further years to get MLT certification including a clinical year where I basically worked for free. Then I had to actually find and get the job. It was a struggle but given the choice I'd definitely do it all over again, especially college. Best years ever.

I think it's a list of bachelor's degrees. Bachelor's degrees in biology are essentially useless except for getting a more advanced degree or certification. There are a couple of exceptions, like nursing and dental hygienics, which would have been pretty high on the list (probably in the $40-45k range) but not in the very top ten.

The pay between the first and second is huge. I'm really surprised by that as everyone is trying to get away from fossile fuels

When ya'll say Pharmacist are ya'll talking about someone who works behind the counter at CVS? 100k?

Big surprise. Engineers, the people who actually make our modern world possible, are the best paid.

Actually, though, all salaried positions are terrible compared to things like financial advising. Which is sad.

This seems fairly accurate, depending on where you live. I started pretty close to what's listed for a CS major. Having been hired as a 'Data Analyst/Scientist' who primarily develops, I would encourage all CS majors to look outside of the typical development jobs.

Working in a business unit isn't quite as glamorous, but you get more individual praise for your work (if that matters to you) and get to play an active role in the profitability of a company. The goal for 99.99% of companies is to make money......supporting the business is important.

Back