The High Tech World of Low Tech Ice

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
This has been the topic of discussion for many a year and it’s still worth a read. For years, guests from around the world travel to Sweden each year to vacation at the world’s foremost luxury ice hotel in the village of Jukkasjärvi. Forget heating the structures or your vacation will end up all wet since everything in the structures are made entirely of ice. You could say it’s a pretty cool place to stay. :D

This must be the place featured in the Bond film "Die Another Day". Beautiful to look at,but I'd skip the overnight stay,paying to freeze my butt off doesn't sound like a fun vacation to me.

I drive by this place each time I go to work, sadly in the four years I've lived here in Kiruna I've never been inside :(

Staying in the hotel is kind of like camping out in a meat locker. The inside temperature is a constant 23 degrees Fahrenheit. Even the bedframes are carved ice-but a mattress, a reindeer pelt, and a sleeping bag make sleeping quite cozy. In the lobby's Ice Bar, patrons huddle in heavy parkas, thick mittens, and snow pants. With the exception of a few cushions, every surface is gleaming ice-including the glasses in which the cocktails are served.

(There's no plumbing-if hotel guests have to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, they must venture to an attached warm building. Ask me about this some other time!)
But, but... do they have free wifi? :D

I was thinking this was going to be about crystal meth manufacturing.

6/10 Disappoint score.

I was thinking this was going to be about crystal meth manufacturing.

6/10 Disappoint score.
ditto.gif

Back