The hell is going on with hard drive prices ?!

Sickb0y

2[H]4U
Was looking for a 6 TB to replace one of my parity drives on my Unraid server. Mind you I picked up a few server pulls 6 TB sas drives about a month or so ago for 60ish on eBay. Now the same drivers are in the 130-150 and most 6tb on Amazon are hitting anywhere between 180-200. Are they seriously going to go full retarded on hard drives the way GPU prices are? Is this related to the chia coin? This is so depressing 😭

Was looking for a 6 TB to replace one of my parity drives on my Unraid server. Mind you I picked up a few server pulls 6 TB sas drives about a month or so ago for 60ish on eBay. Now the same drivers are in the 130-150 and most 6tb on Amazon are hitting anywhere between 180-200. Are they seriously going to go full retarded on hard drives the way GPU prices are? Is this related to the chia coin? This is so depressing 😭
How are HDD prices related to chia coin?

I just looked at Newegg. Yeah, internal desktop bare drive prices are up. Glad I don't need any right now.

Just stop buying harddrives on ebay or Amazon. Go to Microcenter. I just went their recently and their prices for hard drives are pretty good. I got a Seagate Barracuda 3TB for $65.

How are HDD prices related to chia coin?

I just looked at Newegg. Yeah, internal desktop bare drive prices are up. Glad I don't need any right now.
you mine Chia using hard drives. the more hard drive space you have the more chance you have of winning Chia coins.
I am currently plotting some drives for a friends farm.
Chia-12-Chia-Farmed.jpg

Just stop buying harddrives on ebay or Amazon. Go to Microcenter. I just went their recently and their prices for hard drives are pretty good. I got a Seagate Barracuda 3TB for $65.
Actually I buy most of my drives from the Egg. But I'm like lots of people here. No MC within easy driving distance. Not worth it to drive for like 6+ hours to save some money on an HDD.

I wish MC would expand to more parts of the country. :unsure:

Yeah, I was looking on eBay for a used HGST 6TB NAS drive HDN726060ALE614 or HDN726060ALE610.... noticed prices on 6-10 TB used drives across all brands are nearly that of what you can buy new on Newegg...
jacking up prices all over
There was a 610 version at $157.xx CAD used in the US... but by the time you factor in Shipping and Import Charges.... better to get a new drive of something else

Now the same drivers are in the 130-150 and most 6tb on Amazon are hitting anywhere between 180-200.

4TB to 6TB prices have been $120-200+ for several years depending on make and model. If you wanted a WD Black 4-6TB drive you were paying $150+. Reds were a bit less. There is a reason people schuck the external drives from WD etc.. I considered myself lucky to pick up a WD Black drives,5TB and 6TB in recent years for $150 and $180 via sales.

The best 2TB drive in the past few years was the Seagate 7200rpm barracuda that sold for around $65.

Wait, on Chia I thought it wasn't about SPACE (the same way that say... Burst or Sia depended on space) on the HDDs but rather SPEED? That is to say, I thought you needed both a significant amount of space but more importantly speed as SSD controllers were the best at doing whatever algorithm Chia depends upon? Thus it would be people spending a fortune on high capacity SSDs of 2/4TB+ but not affecting HDDs as much? Or is that incorrect?

Wait, on Chia I thought it wasn't about SPACE (the same way that say... Burst or Sia depended on space) on the HDDs but rather SPEED? That is to say, I thought you needed both a significant amount of space but more importantly speed as SSD controllers were the best at doing whatever algorithm Chia depends upon? Thus it would be people spending a fortune on high capacity SSDs of 2/4TB+ but not affecting HDDs as much? Or is that incorrect?
No, you only need speed for plotting.
Plotting on a hard drive can take over 10-12 hours/plot while an SSD can do it in 7-8 hours and an NVME does it in 5.5 hours.
I am using a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro for plotting with an AMD 5600X and get 3 plots every 5.5 hours.

No, you only need speed for plotting.
Plotting on a hard drive can take over 10-12 hours/plot while an SSD can do it in 7-8 hours and an NVME does it in 5.5 hours.
I am using a 1TB Samsung 980 Pro for plotting with an AMD 5600X and get 3 plots every 5.5 hours.

So how often do you need to plot? Is it a repeat task or is it done once per drive you intend to use for Chia? What is the relation of "plotting" to "farming" or whatever requires size? From how you describe it sounds as though you can use a NVME drive (and a CPU may have something to do with it) to plot most swiftly, but I'm not sure if that takes on the SSD itself or if the "plots" are being set up on those larger capacity HDDs where the "farming" if that is where it takes place?

No, not really, it is supply issues from Covid that has affected literally every single electronic device in the world. From materials to shipping costs. Every company is milking "Covid" as a reason to jack up prices on everything
The price of hard drives started increasing when chia came to the forefront here. Oh, it's expensive to buy gpus got eth? Well, buy hard drives for chia! And boom, the drives skyrocket.

The price of hard drives started increasing when chia came to the forefront here. Oh, it's expensive to buy gpus got eth? Well, buy hard drives for chia! And boom, the drives skyrocket.
So what is the next component to start increasing prices? Power Supplies?

I am really, really, really beginning to hate the cryptominers. And I'm pissed at all the companies and stores using this situation to rob us blind.

HD prices as noted above have always been in this price range for the last few years for larger TB HD's.

So how often do you need to plot? Is it a repeat task or is it done once per drive you intend to use for Chia? What is the relation of "plotting" to "farming" or whatever requires size? From how you describe it sounds as though you can use a NVME drive (and a CPU may have something to do with it) to plot most swiftly, but I'm not sure if that takes on the SSD itself or if the "plots" are being set up on those larger capacity HDDs where the "farming" if that is where it takes place?
You are plotting constantly to fill up your farm with plots. your farm consists of plots, the more plots you have, the larger your farm, and the more chances the blocks the network is looking for is on your farm.
You create the plots on a temp drive, and when the plot is created it is stored on a regular spinning hard drive. the reason you use an SSD or NVME drive is that there is a lot of read/writes when making the plot file.
A single plot temp file can be up to 250GB in size (each plot is 100GB when created) and uses about 1.5TB of write endurance on an SSD/NVME.

here you can see the amount of writes on the NVME from creating almost 9TB of plots
980rpo-writes.jpg

And 1 of the drives with plots on it,
plot-list.jpg

tl;dr = If your item is available and not stupid priced just pull the trigger NOW before it's too late.

/my story
The price of the Seagate HDD I bought in December 2020 dropped $40-50, less than two weeks after I bought it. Typical right. Well I thought I should just go ahead and buy the second drive I had planned on buying, but decided to wait a bit cause I'm cheap. Currently the drive is $26 more than it was six months ago. /sigh And now nearly $70 more than at it's lowest price. /double-sigh

Glad I replaced my last dying NAS drive before this crap. 12 TB Red's I paid 299 for initially, then 325 and finally 350 are now 499... So much for upgrading my second array.

This mining crap cannot die fast enough.

Glad I replaced my last dying NAS drive before this crap. 12 TB Red's I paid 299 for initially, then 325 and finally 350 are now 499... So much for upgrading my second array.

This mining crap cannot die fast enough.
So does anyone know if Seagate and WD are increasing production?

Yeah, i noticed this as well, kinda pissed I didn't buy more last year cause I really could use another 12-16TB of quality shucked HDD. =(

So what is the next component to start increasing prices? Power Supplies?

I think that already happened. My 1KW PSU was $119 back in 2016 (still have the Amazon invoice). The same exact unit is now $289.

Attachments

• 2016 invoice.jpg
    2016 invoice.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Seems like its really playing havoc on the larger sized drives. 4tb and under appear to be priced within similar ranges as pre-chia.

Fuck you to the next shitcoin that comes out.
Whats next - PS5 / XBOX mining.

The reality is that chia is already outside of the realm of the common man winning a block with a few HDDs. If you're not running a data center, you will NEVER make up the cost of starting chia mining even if you were buying HDDs while they were cheap.

I have 7 TB plotted on my NAS, and I'll just leave it out there like a lottery ticket, but I don't expect anything to happen.

Seems like its really playing havoc on the larger sized drives. 4tb and under appear to be priced within similar ranges as pre-chia.

Fuck you to the next shitcoin that comes out.
Whats next - PS5 / XBOX mining.
HD prices going up are not Chia, it is supply issues, the world wide supply issues that have been going on for the last year for electronics.

my 1600w T2 was a steal at $350 last year there insane $700-$1000 depending where you look

isnt chia mining on consumer scale already past point of making anything? swear i read its now in hands of data center operators as the chance of a coin is so far gone its a waste of energy and hardware on the consumer level?

I would love it if this was some hackery. i.e. a way to store things on people's computers for free. You could just do the same thing without any fancy tech. Issue crypto to people to make their storage available for w.e.

so kinda like Norton wanting to but crypto miners on peoples computers in the Nortan suite for there own currency.

so kinda like Norton wanting to but crypto miners on peoples computers in the Nortan suite for there own currency.
I'm still flummoxed and gobsmacked that Norton would introduce support for crypto mining. I am certain that there will be blowback when Norton users see how much their electric bills have gone up. Sheesh.

does that saying apply here ? "if you cant beat them join them" instead of letting others put crypto miners on peoples systems they will add there own lol.

does that saying apply here ? "if you cant beat them join them" instead of letting others put crypto miners on peoples systems they will add there own lol.
Sure, but WHY??? What's truly the benefit to Norton? As opposed to all the downside when malware types tell Norton customers that "their" mining software pays better than Norton does? Or if it gets hacked? Right now I'm a norton customer, but if they try to shove this down my throat, then sayonara Norton. It had damn well be an optional install.

what iv done recently was buy a nice fast nvme 2tb Rocket plus tossed i n a usb type c external, got my pc working to a perfect state. then cloned it and moved everything to the nas, instead of running bloatware i just restore from the drive. i have a few lightweight apps / practices in safe computing keeping the peace but haven't had Norton since the 90's. i have to convince the why to ditch them as well as she subs to the android suite on her phone.

The reality is that chia is already outside of the realm of the common man winning a block with a few HDDs. If you're not running a data center, you will NEVER make up the cost of starting chia mining even if you were buying HDDs while they were cheap.

I have 7 TB plotted on my NAS, and I'll just leave it out there like a lottery ticket, but I don't expect anything to happen.
I tried to tell my friend it isn't worth it since the network is getting so large so fast but still wanted to try and bought some more hard drives.
almost done plotting the drives he dropped off,

Chia-28TB-plotted.jpg

Keep telling yourself that 🤣
You are ware the need for HD"s around the world for actual business far far far exceeds anything Chia is needing right now. Show me sales that directly correlate HD shortages to Chia specific mining. Cause you can find the sale numbers for computers going through the roof over the last year which includes both HDD/SDD, also factor in datacenter usage.

You are ware the need for HD"s around the world for actual business far far far exceeds anything Chia is needing right now. Show me sales that directly correlate HD shortages to Chia specific mining. Cause you can find the sale numbers for computers going through the roof over the last year which includes both HDD/SDD, also factor in datacenter usage.
Screenshot_2021-06-16-13-34-15-199_org.mozilla.firefox.jpg

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard-drive-prices-skyrocket-asia-scalpers-making-bank

I can confirm this. I was in the market for a couple of 8tb drives just as chia opened up. Price went up 50% in one day.

oooofff gladi got my 8 16tb drives a month ago. this woulda been murder on my wallet,

oooofff gladi got my 8 16tb drives a month ago. this woulda been murder on my wallet,
Prices are trending down here in China already. Chia value started high at $1400 usd in the first couple of weeks, but has tanked steadily to $400 now. I am waiting it out.

itll be out soon if it keeps dropping not worth the energy running the data center to get a single coin.

Back