The HD5850 prices are starting to drop, so is the flicker bug....

vick1000

2[H]4U
...in 2d still an issue, or was it ever? I am torn between a reduced HD5850 and a factory OC'ed GTX460.

...in 2d still an issue, or was it ever? I am torn between a reduced HD5850 and a factory OC'ed GTX460.
I've owned a 5870 and two 5850's and have never had a 2D flickering bug, ever.

I've also owned two 5850s and had absolutely no issues. If you're keeping the cards stock you may want to go with a 5850. Otherwise I'd go with a 460 and OC it yourself, no reason to get a factory overclocked model.

FWIW, I used to have the flickering in some videos but the 10.8s took care of it.

The only time I get flicker with my 5850 is when a Flash video first loads. You can get rid of it by disabling hardware acceleration but it's still kind of lame.

I get flicker on my 5870, i had to edit a profile to leave the memory 1200 and disable hardware acceleration on flash to get rid of it.

ooh, the flicker bug.

i usually play 3d only games, but after my last driver update (at the same time the game updated) i can no longer play plants vs zombies with 3d acceleration. its the only instance of a flickering issue. the graphics freeze and flicker between 2 frames.

5850 cf

Only flickering i get is everyonce and awhile on the desktop in Eyefinity. Fine otherwise.

Using 10.4a. Xfire 5850.

same here the 460 maybe be a good card but I would still go for the 5850 for hte bang for the money

?

You get Metro 2033. Starcraft is only a Demo.

The latest update for Metro borked the game for me. It crashes right on start up. Haven't been able to fix it yet. :(

The 460 is good card, but I would've opted for the 5850. :p

Metro 2033 and Mafia 2 (I got it before the deadline).

The flicker bug you are referring to is a flicker after you watch something hardware accelerated, or when one of your monitors occasionally flicker? If it's the latter I'm glad I ran into this thread as I was about to toss that monitor thinking the backlight was going out.

The flicker bug you are referring to is a flicker after you watch something hardware accelerated, or when one of your monitors occasionally flicker? If it's the latter I'm glad I ran into this thread as I was about to toss that monitor thinking the backlight was going out.

The hardware accelerated flicker (when you first open the video) is caused by the GPU clock speed ramping up. Now... I had this with my 4890 and the 10.4a's, but once I installed my 5850 and the 10.8a's, I no longer experience that. Can't tell if it was the 5850 or the new drivers. O well, i'm not complaining!

Back