The [H] SpiderOak Referral Thread (Think DropBox, but BETTER)

SlayVus

Limp Gawd
USE A REFERRAL LINK IN THIS THREAD. It will take you to the sign up page.

I've been using Dropbox since the beginning but I never really cared for or trusted their security. Your files are encrypted/decrypted on their servers which means they have read access to all your plaintext stuff.

Recently, someone has filed an FTC complaint against them for misleading users about the security.

More recently, Dropbox had a "glitch" lasting 4 hours during which time anybody could access your entire account without a password.

That was that, I switched to SpiderOak.

This is not for Grandma. It's more advanced and takes some setup to get working how you want. The best part though is that the encryption keys are kept on your local machine(s) so SpiderOak staff cannot look at the content of your files at all. There are clients for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, and several flavors of Linux.

Like Dropbox, it comes with 2gb for free by default. Also like Dropbox, you get extra free space for referrals, but at a rate of 1gb each. You can pay for more space in increments of 100gb for $10/mo or $100/yr.

BUT WAIT, there's more! With the promo code WORLDBACKUPDAY, you will start off with 6gb of free space if you sign up under a referral link (you BOTH get an extra gig). If you get one referral and use that promo code before it dies, you will have 7gb of space for free. That's one mean feat to pull on Dropbox. Referral credits come through instantly.

To use the promo code, click on 'Buy More Space' in the client. You will be taken to a webpage where there is a box to input promo codes. Paste the promo code and click Update/Apply. Click Next then finally click confirm. You will now see 6GB(if you just signed up with a referral and no referrals of your own) or 7GB(signed up with referral and have one referral).

Go read up and see if it's for you. Give it a try and help someone out with a referral link. If you don't like it just forget about it. You do need to install the software and link it to your account for the referral credits to go through.

Here is my referral link

- Referral Link removed. Please use the referral link in the last post of this thread. When you have gotten one referral please be generous and remove your referral link -

Quote the referral link you use then post yours. Do NOT use the same person's referral link more than once. Give everyone equal opportunity.

You can create a referral link for your account here. - https://spideroak.com/referral/ - You can get up to 50GB free!

Last edited:
very interesting, checking it out now - used your link... trying to figure out how to activate my computer as a device on the account

here's mine if we want to continue a chain here: link removed by Highwind[/url]

I used your link. I'm pretty sure it worked, cause the SpiderOak program says I have 3GB free.

Here's mine. Someone tell me if I'm doing this wrong, otherwise, here ya go:
used and removed[/url]

- edit: removed mine as it's apparently been used; I'm now reading 5GB of space.. and I haven't used that promo code either, I think 2 people must have used mine :oops:
- edit2: I used the promo code and got the extra gigs (8 now). Apologies if I leeched 2 referrals, I thought I had subscribed to this thread, evidently I hadn't and didn't get back till it was used twice.

Last edited:
Nope, you're doing it just fine. Don't forget to use the promo code and you can increase your base storage size from 2GB to 5GB. On DropBox getting 5GB of free storage would have required 12 referrals. You only have have to use a referral and one promo code to start off with 6GB of storage.

Last edited:
If you have more than the base 2GB, or 5GB with the Promo code, than it referred you corrected.

When you use someone's referral you both get 1GB of extra storage. When someone uses your referral, you both get 1GB of extra free storage.

Got it; thanks Highwind!. I've been looking for an alternative to DropBox, since the Chinese government doesn't like it for some reason (read as: the client is blocked by the Great Firewall).

Here's my referral link: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/f96ed37b642ec7d148e068e08bf14576

Edit: not sure if it credited me for Highwind's referral link or not. Oh, well, too late now!
Used your link. Will update with my referral once set up.

Here's my referral link: https://spideroak.com/download/referral/d054fc467b96cf4185a3e8ed4556b529

Last edited:
I edited my post to remove my link; I think zetachi did indeed get skipped... I can confirm two people used mine, I looked in my inbox and have 2 notifications of my link being used.

I should also point out, when quoting someone's post that has their ref link... maybe it is a good idea to take the person's link out of the quote. SlayVus, thoughts on this?
I'm also thinking it's a good idea to mention WHOSE referral you use...

Last edited:
I'll start using online backups when I can start dropping my entire 12TB NAS on there at affordable rates.

User got skipped over, please use this referral.

... now the whole thread is messed up. There is an extra referral in the thread than is needed.
I just used the referral above so we may be caught up

here's mine that I just created for the next person to use -

https://spideroak.com/download/referral/0a7c5cec9616974a1f3b5f9866d2d135

also, had a hard time finding how to create the referral to my account, it's not obvious so here's the link to save the next person the time-
https://spideroak.com/referral/

Last edited:
If someone used my referral please let me know and I'll remove my link.

Thanks

I think it would be a good idea to remove our links once they have been used

I should also point out, when quoting someone's post that has their ref link... maybe it is a good idea to take the person's link out of the quote. SlayVus, thoughts on this?
I'm also thinking it's a good idea to mention WHOSE referral you use...

Thought that quoting the poster with the referral with their referral link was a good idea. I guess we should cut it back to just quoting the referred person's post without their referral link.

I'd also suggest that if someone sees a "Used the referral, making a referral" type posts to wait until the new referral is up before signing up.

Otherwise if you don't need a referral and just want to post, than go ahead.

I'm liking this a lot better that Dropbox already, thanks OP.

The ability to actually back up and sync folders from different locations on a hard drive is nice.

Now you can use your computer like you normally would. Save your documents in My Documents and your Pictures and My Pictures. You'll never have to worry about whether or not you saved it in the right folder.

The only thing I see that SpiderOak doesn't do is let you host images to link to websites.

The only thing I see that SpiderOak doesn't do is let you host images to link to websites.

But a lot/most of us have DropBox also, and since you shouldn't really have to worry about the security of pictures, you could still use Dropbox for that. Or at least, I will.

But a lot/most of us have DropBox also, and since you shouldn't really have to worry about the security of pictures, you could still use Dropbox for that. Or at least, I will.

I think that is what I'm going to do as well.

The only thing I really used my DB for was pictures and HTML files of benchmarks.

I only have a small hand full of files that I don't want anyone else to be able to access and DB's ability to access my account is something I don't like.

I think that is what I'm going to do as well.

The only thing I really used my DB for was pictures and HTML files of benchmarks.

I only have a small hand full of files that I don't want anyone else to be able to access and DB's ability to access my account is something I don't like.

Same here, Spider will be for my real backups. Dropbox will be for sharing pics/etc.

I'm in. Though I am not the brightest bulb today. I signed up NOT using a referral link. Stupid.

For those of you reading this, once you check out the service and if you decide you want to join, make sure you sign up for your SpiderOak account via clicking on one of the links provided by an [H] member here in this thread.

Unless I am mistaken, that will get both you and the link provider an extra gig.

Edit to remove referral link.

Last edited:
Well, no one has used my link yet and it was on post 10 so I don't think this system of sharing the wealth is working too well.

how can you see where someone has used your referral? Other than the amount of space you have.

how can you see where someone has used your referral? Other than the amount of space you have.

Not sure there is another way. I am not sure if the software auto-updates with the new gig amount once someone does use your referral link. It must. I know that after I put in the promo code to get it upgraded to 5 gigs I restarted the software before the new amount showed. I might not have had to restart but I wasn't seeing any change right away so I just tried it and restarting it worked in terms of showing the accurate amount.

oh, missed some of the comments at the end of this thread about unused referrals and just clicked on the most recent link, so Kelvarr has had his used, here's mine

[used! thanks!!]

Last edited:
My referral above (post 8) has not yet been used.

Well, no one has used my link yet and it was on post 10 so I don't think this system of sharing the wealth is working too well.

Some people are probably making the mistake I did and, right after going to the site and checking it out, just signing up there without thinking about it. It might help if OP made it more clear or emphasized that, to get the extra referral gig, you need to come back here and find a referral link to use which will take you straight to the signup page.

Maybe you guys should remove your link from your original post and just post it again here later in the thread?

oh, missed some of the comments at the end of this thread about unused referrals and just clicked on the most recent link, so Kelvarr has had his used, here's mine

Deleted my referral! Thanks!

Although my space is still showing as 6GB. It should be 7GB, right? I signed up under a referral link, and HoppyChris signed up under mine.

EDIT: I just realized that I didn't click the verification link in my email after account sign up....I didn't even know I had to...nothing prompted me for a verification link. I hope that didn't screw me out of a referral

EDIT#2: Here is from their forums:
The most common issue for referrals not working is that for it to work, you have to click the email verification link with the same browser and same cookie that you used to download SpiderOak.

Last edited:
I used yours Beto.

Ok thanks. I have removed my link.

And, for those who are curious, I am currently doing a backup and the bonus gig from neurotic did indeed automatically show up. The software auto-updated and now reflects the extra gig of space.

Anyone know where to read up on how they encrypt the files? How does it work anyway? Is it automatically done without the user having to take any additional action(s)?

Back