The [H] RTX 3080 owners thread.

Suppose I needed a case upgrade, but didn't want to spend a zillion bucks on one.

Lian Li Lancool II got 5 star ratings for great airflow and nice case for the price;
Very nice case, I'm putting together 2 zen3 for my kids in Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB. Did your 3080 GPU temps improved?

This is completely bonkers to me. On the left, stock 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, on the right, undervolted to 0.806 @ 1830mhz. Essentially the same performance, but ~77 fewer watts while being completely stable.

View attachment 294878View attachment 294879

Yeah I made a flat curve for 1800 mhz @ 0.831v for my 3090 FE. I'm guessing your 3080 should undervolt more since it has fewer active cores. The guide on youtube had his 3080 running at 1900 (!) mhz at 0.831v. Tha's just nuts. Uses a lot less watts and is very nice for programs that constantly otherwise would hammer the max power limit anyway. As far as gaming, I do notice a FPS hit in Call of Duty MW however, since the card can boost up to 2070 mhz with +135 mhz and stay under the 400W max power limit so I just made profiles.

Anyone have the 3080 Vision variation from Gigabyte? Not much reviews only, mostly UK folks it seems. Wondering how that performs compared to the other 3rd party. I like the design and wondering if it's the one card that I should be going for.
I love the looks of that GPU too, I'm flip flopping between Vision and TUF cards. I like the looks of Vision (white, clean and very simplistic), however I believe TUF has better cooling system and hw (dual BIOS, vram sink)... I wish there were more white GPU offerings. Too bad there is TUF in all white offering, maybe Asus will offer white Strix. I guess I willl get 3080 whichever will be in stock sooner LOL

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201102_044842383.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_044842383.NIGHT.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 0
Very nice case, I'm putting together 2 zen3 for my kids in Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB. Did your 3080 GPU temps improved?

Seems improved with the new case, but for sure the card gets very warm still.

With my new case, I have the 6 case fans each plugged into the motherboard, there's plenty of ports on my mobo for system fans. Does the computer then know when it's hot inside to crank up the speed of the fans to cool it down when needed? Does that automatically happen?

Seems improved with the new case, but for sure the card gets very warm still.

With my new case, I have the 6 case fans each plugged into the motherboard, there's plenty of ports on my mobo for system fans. Does the computer then know when it's hot inside to crank up the speed of the fans to cool it down when needed? Does that automatically happen?

Not by default, to control case fans speed (using pwm or voltage) you should be able to do it via BIOS or your motherboard's manufacturer software. Take a look at your motherboard manual.

I posted this over the in TU-150 thread in Small Form Factor but thought I'd cross post where also.

I previously had an EVGA 2070 Super with 2x Corsair LL120 fans in the bottom of the case.

The 3080 XC3 Ultra is a bit taller than the 2070 was. As a result it was extremely close to the bottoms fans - like a piece of notebook paper of space - practically touching. In BF:V the card was hitting the limit of 82C. It seemed a bit high compared to what I was reading for other folks with the same card. I ended up grabbing a pair of Noctua NF-A12x15 fans in throwing them in the bottom. Card hasn't gone above ~72C since the swap. The extra room to breathing room seems to be helping I guess.

The XC3 and Noctua's are very quiet though - very happy with both the performance and acoustics of both :)

001.jpg
002.jpg

I posted this over the in TU-150 thread in Small Form Factor but thought I'd cross post where also.

I previously had an EVGA 2070 Super with 2x Corsair LL120 fans in the bottom of the case.

The 3080 XC3 Ultra is a bit taller than the 2070 was. As a result it was extremely close to the bottoms fans - like a piece of notebook paper of space - practically touching. In BF:V the card was hitting the limit of 82C. It seemed a bit high compared to what I was reading for other folks with the same card. I ended up grabbing a pair of Noctua NF-A12x15 fans in throwing them in the bottom. Card hasn't gone above ~72C since the swap. The extra room to breathing room seems to be helping I guess.

The XC3 and Noctua's are very quiet though - very happy with both the performance and acoustics of both :)

View attachment 295320 View attachment 295321

I just bought a new case yesterday in hopes of cooling off my hot eVga 3080, but think I need to add fans to the bottom too? There is a space above the PSU and below the video card that supports room for I believe 2 120mm fans, should I add them?

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201103_022532935.jpg
    PXL_20201103_022532935.jpg
    428.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I love the looks of that GPU too, I'm flip flopping between Vision and TUF cards. I like the looks of Vision (white, clean and very simplistic), however I believe TUF has better cooling system and hw (dual BIOS, vram sink)... I wish there were more white GPU offerings. Too bad there is TUF in all white offering, maybe Asus will offer white Strix. I guess I willl get 3080 whichever will be in stock sooner LOL
Yah, serious, haha. If you do get one, will be mounting it vertically to show off the color combo?

Yah, serious, haha. If you do get one, will be mounting it vertically to show off the color combo?
I don’t think so, I will have bottom fans blowing on it. Also I might try to get 3080 tuf due to it’s better cooling system. However because of caps phantom fiasco, asus tuf cards and vision model might be easier to get (per my local shop). However I believe it when I see it lol

edit: do you know if vision and eagle models are sharing the same cooler?

Last edited:
I just bought a new case yesterday in hopes of cooling off my hot eVga 3080, but think I need to add fans to the bottom too? There is a space above the PSU and below the video card that supports room for I believe 2 120mm fans, should I add them?
Yes you should to improve your cpu temps. However your cpu temps might slightly raise because of it.

Nice one!
For the price it truly is a great case it was on sale at microcenter for $85 and seems like a case that should be over $200.

All the reviews said it's the best bargain case on the market it seems way harder quality than for the price.

I have six fans in there 120 mm but I'm confused how do I get those case fans to go on faster RPMs when the video card gets hot during gaming? I want the fans to spin faster to cool off the card

For the price it truly is a great case it was on sale at microcenter for $85 and seems like a case that should be over $200.

All the reviews said it's the best bargain case on the market it seems way harder quality than for the price.

I have six fans in there 120 mm but I'm confused how do I get those case fans to go on faster RPMs when the video card gets hot during gaming? I want the fans to spin faster to cool off the card
You can adjust the fan curve in BIOS.

Too bad you didn't swing for the updated Lancool case. It has better air cooling capabilities.

You can adjust the fan curve in BIOS.

Too bad you didn't swing for the updated Lancool case. It has better air cooling capabilities.

Sorry don't mean to derail this thread, but do people always set their BIOS to control the case fans? Or do some people just have the case fans set at the typical RPM's they run at?

Sorry don't mean to derail this thread, but do people always set their BIOS to control the case fans? Or do some people just have the case fans set at the typical RPM's they run at?
I set all my fans in BIOS, but I also use this fan controller for the intake fans only. Use whatever you're comfortable with.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Definitely BIOS. I have a 3080 installed now, coming from a 1070 Ti with an AIO. The AIO is the way to go, but unfortunately EVGA doesn't have them ready. I bought a 2x120mm fan to install in the space just above the GPU where the 1070 AIO radiator was mounted. But.. it doesn't fit properly, so I sort of angled it so at least the majority of the air blows out the back side. The fan also has RGB, which I dislike but I don't want to perform surgery on the thing to try and turn it off. I used the BIOS to set the fans to a constant 100%. Fortunately, it's quiet. It'll do until I can either step-up to a 3080 with an AIO from EVGA, or maybe I could get an AIO to install, though I don't want to perform surgery on the thing.

Last comment: I rather like the dramatic increase in performance going from a 1070 Ti to the 3080, but I don't like the somewhat paltry 10GB memory, and I don't like having fans on the GPU rather than AIO. What I really want is a binned 3080 Ti (plus whatever additional memory it will have) with an AIO that fits like the one on the 1070 Ti.

Definitely BIOS. I have a 3080 installed now, coming from a 1070 Ti with an AIO. The AIO is the way to go, but unfortunately EVGA doesn't have them ready. I bought a 2x120mm fan to install in the space just above the GPU where the 1070 AIO radiator was mounted. But.. it doesn't fit properly, so I sort of angled it so at least the majority of the air blows out the back side. The fan also has RGB, which I dislike but I don't want to perform surgery on the thing to try and turn it off. I used the BIOS to set the fans to a constant 100%. Fortunately, it's quiet. It'll do until I can either step-up to a 3080 with an AIO from EVGA, or maybe I could get an AIO to install, though I don't want to perform surgery on the thing.

Last comment: I rather like the dramatic increase in performance going from a 1070 Ti to the 3080, but I don't like the somewhat paltry 10GB memory, and I don't like having fans on the GPU rather than AIO. What I really want is a binned 3080 Ti (plus whatever additional memory it will have) with an AIO that fits like the one on the 1070 Ti.

Thanks for the info. Do you think I should buy 2 more 120mm fans, and put them in that area, above the PSU cage, and the fans would sit below the video card by 6 inches or so. Per the picture I posted earlier. Would that help, or not really?

Or, I have read that some people set the fan speed to aggressive on their eVga 3080's via the Precision 1 software. Is that recommended?

No complaints here, much better than the Wraith Prism. When I had my 2080Ti I was trying to eek out every bit of cooling I could get since that card would get into the 80s under heavy load, so removed any potential CPU heat from the mix. Had the 1st version on the 6600K and it was super cool and quiet, v2 was the first choice when building this current setup.

I used the eVga Precision X1 software and set my 3080 to the Aggressive fan setting, and now in desktop it's 29c, it was normally like 40c - 45c in desktop. And it's barely that loud, just hear a very hint of the fans running.

With that eVga Precision X1 software, when I click the x to close the app, the fans stop spinning, meaning as I exit that pogrom it stops doing the custom fan profile I setup?

I need to have the Precision X1 always running, the app needs to always be on in the backgroun an in the taskbar?

With that eVga Precision X1 software, when I click the x to close the app, the fans stop spinning, meaning as I exit that pogrom it stops doing the custom fan profile I setup?

I need to have the Precision X1 always running, the app needs to always be on in the backgroun an in the taskbar?

It will still keep your clock and voltage settings, but it goes to the default fan profile. The app doesn't use a lot of resources so you can leave it running, but its also fine to close it and let the fans do their thing.

So when in an intensive game session, the fans know to crank up fast themselves? I really don't need this custom aggressive setting enabled in Precision X1?

I tried Doom Eternal real quick with the aggressive fan setting, and playing for 10 minutes, my side case panel didn't feel hot like it did before, it just felt slight warm.

The default fan profile will keep it in safe temp range as long as you have decent case airflow.

Just played WoW, I have it maxed out ultra with AA enabled and everything. Running 3440 x 1440 res 120hz. Was getting like 125+ fps.

Played for 5 minutes, most the time the GPU temp was like 63c to 65c

Now I just played Battlefield 4, Ultra maxed settings 3440 x 1440 120hz easily getting 150+ FPS Played for 5 minutes 128 player server, GPU temp steady 65c

Now I just played Battlefield 4, Ultra maxed settings 3440 x 1440 120hz easily getting 150+ FPS Played for 5 minutes 128 player server, GPU temp steady 65c
I also play BF4 regularly. Coming from a 1070Ti to a 3080, I'm quite pleased with the performance. On a 3840x1600 monitor with G-sync, I have a rock solid 142 FPS (yes, that's intentional) , with 7ms frame times that do not flutter. It feels sharp as a razer. Input lag is non-existent.

If a 20GB 3080 Ti comes out say around the $999 price point, will you be upgrading from your 3080 or are you happy with your current performance?

If a 20GB 3080 Ti comes out say around the $999 price point, will you be upgrading from your 3080 or are you happy with your current performance?
Oh, I'm totally on that if I can step-up with EVGA. Testing with the new watch dogs game, it's getting close to the 10gb memory limit.

The rumor is; 20GB GD6X, same FP32 count as 3090, same mem speed and TGP as 3080, no NVLINK.

So in desktop mode, no gaming, my eVga Ultra 3080 seems to stay in the 45c temp range, since I've had the card since last week. Is that warm for just desktop mode?

So in desktop mode, no gaming, my eVga Ultra 3080 seems to stay in the 45c temp range, since I've had the card since last week. Is that warm for just desktop mode?
How's your case air flow? My 3090 FE idles at around 30c and jumps to 36c while watching YouTube or Twitch streams.

Back