The [H] RTX 3080 owners thread.

What do I do in the meantime with the current case? Just keep the side pane off until I by a new case?
Downloads After burner, put the side panel on game and jot down the temps you see while playing. It could really just be in the normal range for these cards which I am expecting.

It's all good, I actually refurbished this case cleaned up last year from sitting at my Mom's house from a decade + ago, because I liked it so much from years ago, but yeah I should get a larger better airflow case.

Whats a cool looking case with great airfow? I like the look of those Phantek Evolv cases

There is a ton of them, from Phantek family I would probably looks at P500A... I'm in the process of building two builds with Lian Li LanCool Mesh 2. I would recommend reading this article (or watch video) from Gamers Nexus as a starting point. :)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
how hot your side panel gets is not a reason to consider swapping out your case... worry about it if your GPU is getting too hot. Its probably fine.

Also an older case like that is a perfect candidate for modding. Get a hole saw and drill a nice 120mm hole in the side and mount a fan pulling heat off the gpu. I think that retro case looks pretty good.

I'm not seeing this being an airflow issue. I think we need to make sure we know what he's getting in comparison to what's expected for this gen of card. Will a high airflow case make a huge difference maybe not if his numbers are pretty close to what others are getting.
The 30xx GPUs you need as much air flow as you can provide. Yes the card will work, but you will get hotter, noiser and slower GPU. It was just a friendly suggerstion and nothing else :)

how hot your side panel gets is not a reason to consider swapping out your case... worry about it if your GPU is getting too hot. Its probably fine.

Can I put my side panel back on and game again do you think? I just recall touching that side panel last night while playing Doom Eternal, right about where the GPU is, and holy cow it was freaking hot tamale

Also an older case like that is a perfect candidate for modding. Get a hole saw and drill a nice 120mm hole in the side and mount a fan pulling heat off the gpu. I think that retro case looks pretty good.

I was thinking about that last night, put a whole in the side right near the GPU and get a new case fan to pop in there

Get something like this;
https://www.microcenter.com/product/484801/corsair-ll120-rgb-hydraulic-bearing-120mm-case-fan

And that thing would probably do better, than an actual new case? Opinions wanted

The 30xx GPUs you need as much air flow as you can provide. Yes the card will work, but you will get hotter, noiser and slower GPU. It was just a friendly suggerstion and nothing else :)
I understand, I own 2 a TUF and a FTW3, both dump alot of heat into the case. His airflow doesnt seem restricted with 2 90-120 mm fans. He needs to know what he has going on right now before anything. Zorachus yes please place your side panel on and play games looking at the temps in Afterburner.

So this is the card I bought;

https://www.microcenter.com/product...-triple-fan-10gb-gddr6x-pcie-40-graphics-card

Seriously this thing gets ultra hot while gaming. It blows the hot air out the top of the card, not through the back of the case.

My side case panel felt like a frying pan, was not just warm to the touch, was freaking HOT. I took the panel off which seemed to help a lot to vent that air.

But I don't want to have my side case panel off all the time. What options do I have? Do I need a different case with better air flow or bigger side panel area to allow more space?

My case is the my old school classic Cooler Master all aluminum from like 15 years ago, but she's a beauty and perfect amazing looking quality. But maybe I need to go to the newer type of case that's larger with more air flow?

I already posted my impressions of the EVGA XC3, it runs either hot or loud due to the small cooler. I have a Meshify C with lots of fans and it still ran loud if I wanted to keep it under 75c while gaming, basically hitting 90-100% fans on a custom curve. Leaving it on auto fans it will hit 82C which is the driver limit. You can undervolt to improve this and run case fans at full, but I eventually just replaced it with a Gigabyte Aorus 3080 which is a huge improvement in both temps and noise.

The XC3 just isn't a great card if you care about temps or noise. If you only care about temps then you need to undervolt and use a curve that has a base fan level of 40% and a ramp to 80-90% at 60C. You will also need a case that flows air as you have discovered.

Dang, I don't wanna have to return my card now, due to poor fan design and heat.

I'm out now when I get back I'll do the app tuner and check temps while gaming with the panel in place.

I could cut a hole in the side panel, and throw a 120mm fan in there. See what that does? Is that a good idea?

Or either get a new larger case known for good airflow? Or return my card and get a card with a different fan design?

No need to throw the baby out with the bath water here and overreact. Test out some gaming with the side panel on and check your temps and fans speeds.
Try increasing your fan curve a bit if you get high temps and see if you can live with the noise level.
Do you find it to be to noisy or is it getting way to hot like upper 80's? If so try running it with the side panel off and compare temps and noise levels. This will give you a good idea of what a new case or a side fan will do to improve temps and noise. This card would be expected to run a bit hotter than some other models because it is only 2 slot and a bit shorter than a lot of other models, but this doesn't mean its a bad card.

I just installed the eVga Precision X1 program.

It immediately did a firmware update. Here's pic just in idle in desktop mode;

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_191420163.jpg
    PXL_20201031_191420163.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201031_191747022.jpg
    PXL_20201031_191747022.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 0
I just installed the eVga Precision X1 program.

It immediately did a firmware update. Here's pic just in idle in desktop mode;
Seems normal, now just run a game in the background and switch to the temps.

Here's me playing WoW and temps now;

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_192220100.jpg
    PXL_20201031_192220100.jpg
    453.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201031_192344680.jpg
    PXL_20201031_192344680.jpg
    489.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201031_192608220.jpg
    PXL_20201031_192608220.jpg
    498.2 KB · Views: 0
Game is off, back in desktop for a couple minutes now, seems to settle in around 55c

Attachments

• PXL_20201031_193155921.jpg
    PXL_20201031_193155921.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 0
Game is off, back in desktop for a couple minutes now, seems to settle in around 55c
Ok, sorry to tell you that those numbers are just fine. The card is dumping the heat into your case and in the process heating up your side panel. Even if you swap cases those numbers will stay similar but you may possibly have a cooler side panel, most likely not. These cards all will do what you are seeing at least some worse but still all within Nvidia's expectations.

What are you guys using to control your 30XX fans? The newest MSI Afterburner (4.3.6 Beta 2) isn't working for me.

Those temps are totally fine and your fan speeds pictured are not even hitting 50%. Wow is probably not a great game for a worst case scenario since it is probably not pushing your card to hard, but you have a lot of left over temp and fan speed room to play with. Don't worry too much about your idle temps because these cards are made to turn their fans off when idle or low temp. If you don't like the idle temps you can setup a custom fan curve to keep a lower threshold.
What are you guys using to control your 30XX fans? The newest MSI Afterburner (4.3.6 Beta 2) isn't working for me.
I am running afterburner 4.6.2 and it lets me set a custom fan curve or manual fan speed with no issues.

Reactions: Mylex
like this
Thanks for the replies and help so far. I just get concerned with that metal side panel feeling hot as a BBQ grille while heavy gaming, especially like playing Doom Eternal for an hour+, felt like a space heater sitting on my table last night LOL

Your saying that's ok? I think I still want to experiment and drill a hole in the panel and try to custom mount a 120mm fan to it

That temp looks fine. Driver limit before throttle is 82C in X1 so under that is good. I was being anal when I was trying to keep it under 75C.

How do I enable that Precision software to be on my screen while gaming to see temps live, as opposed to alt back down to Windows to see it?

While playing Doom Eternal the RGB lights were dark yellow / orange.

I have the lighting on the card setup for blue is under 45c and the green is 50c to 60c, red is over 80c I believe. Well in Doom the card lights were orange not quite red but almost.

This is completely bonkers to me. On the left, stock 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, on the right, undervolted to 0.806 @ 1830mhz. Essentially the same performance, but ~77 fewer watts while being completely stable.

3080-2.jpg
3080-1.jpg

This is completely bonkers to me. On the left, stock 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, on the right, undervolted to 0.806 @ 1830mhz. Essentially the same performance, but ~77 fewer watts while being completely stable.

View attachment 294878View attachment 294879
I experienced the same thing on both my 3080's except it was north of 80 watts saved with better performance. That's why I will continue to preach these cards need to be undercooked(it auto corrected from undervolted, but I will allow it).

Suppose I needed a case upgrade, but didn't want to spend a zillion bucks on one.

Lian Li Lancool II got 5 star ratings for great airflow and nice case for the price;

Attachments

• PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_043556344.PORTRAIT.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201102_043842776.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_043842776.NIGHT.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201102_044757353.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_044757353.NIGHT.jpg
    457.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20201102_044842383.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20201102_044842383.NIGHT.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Find a used Silverstone TJ09 somewhere. It was the last case I ever purchased. Its going on a decade now. Cable management be dammed, pulling in dedicated cool air exclusively for the GPU is the ticket.

Hwo do I get the words on the card to light up? I want the LED's on my card that say 'GEFORCE RTC 3080', I thought that would light up? Only things lit up are EVGA to the left of it, and EVGA on the rear side of the card, bit the actual GeForce part, that's not lighting up.

Anyone have the 3080 Vision variation from Gigabyte? Not much reviews only, mostly UK folks it seems. Wondering how that performs compared to the other 3rd party. I like the design and wondering if it's the one card that I should be going for.

Anyone have the 3080 Vision variation from Gigabyte? Not much reviews only, mostly UK folks it seems. Wondering how that performs compared to the other 3rd party. I like the design and wondering if it's the one card that I should be going for.
Based on what I've been seeing most 3080s perform very similar to one another. What sets them apart is acoustics and thermals.

Based on what I've been seeing most 3080s perform very similar to one another. What sets them apart is acoustics and thermals.
Got it. Thanks! Now to work on acquiring it, lol. I'm acting like I got options, haha...

Hwo do I get the words on the card to light up? I want the LED's on my card that say 'GEFORCE RTC 3080', I thought that would light up? Only things lit up are EVGA to the left of it, and EVGA on the rear side of the card, bit the actual GeForce part, that's not lighting up.
Those parts don’t light up on the XC3 variants.

Back