mc47.JPG

The servers and network gear

mc48.JPG

mc49.JPG

Ran some ladder rack across the room

mc50.JPG

mc51.jpg

mc52.jpg

I have a ton of ethernet cable that I need to run. Hopefully after the holidays.

Updated the screen, desk, pc and added some artwork. Here's a few updated shots.

Here's a shot of the scratch build I just completed. Houses my PC, dual loops, gigabit switch, HDTV and a future home security DVR.
xDkK3.jpg

WdGrI.jpg

2sIhp.jpg

Added a big ole' map this year. Always wanted one. Finally got one.
g9uXE.jpg

This is a custom piece of art done by my cousin. To say she is talented would be an understatement. I gave her a picture from the interwebz and she comes back with this. It blew me away. Prior to my computer geek days I was a national powerlifting competitor (big weights, not speedos and posing). This is a pic of my all-time favorite lifter. 1 billion kudos to anyone who knows who this is without utilizing google ;)
SwWTQ.jpg

It resides on my wall next to the Seal Team 6 tribute (Zero Dark Thirty was awesome BTW) and a pic of Dime up top RIP.
WJ11q.jpg

The new screen. Went from a cheap manual pull down to a cheap fixed mount tensioned screen. The difference is night and day. Still 92" but Megan Fox is so much better now (is that even possible?:eek:)
AiKCi.jpg

One of my top 5 all-time favorite flicks
rVQ0s.jpg

And the best western of the past 25 years
5rREu.jpg

Future upgrades include a 7.1 receiver, some type of Harmony remote, home security DVR/cameras and whatever else my budget and imagination can come up with! We play poker in here sometimes and I thought having a table that retracts up into the ceiling would be cool..........

Updated the screen, desk, pc and added some artwork. Here's a few updated shots.

Here's a shot of the scratch build I just completed.
xDkK3.jpg

Very [H]. Doing it right.

The monitor height seems pretty high to me. Is it? I'd like to test raising mine to place speakers under but I'd have to build something to raise them any higher or buy new stands. I can understand adding stuff under your monitors if they're not adjustable but I see a lot of user's rigs with higher than ergonomically recommended. Anyone have any input on this?

i always thought you had one of the coolest setups here, deadlift. glad to see youre still finding new ways of making it awesome. whenever i manage to get a mancave i think i will have a raised area like yours too. love that.

I too will someday be copying deadlift's set up. Love the custom case, that's a long term project I want to do.

Very [H]. Doing it right.

The monitor height seems pretty high to me. Is it? I'd like to test raising mine to place speakers under but I'd have to build something to raise them any higher or buy new stands. I can understand adding stuff under your monitors if they're not adjustable but I see a lot of user's rigs with higher than ergonomically recommended. Anyone have any input on this?

For me the height is ideal but I can see how it would be a concern to some. Prior to this I was using a triple monitor stand with the monitors at the same height. I am fairly tall (6'3") so this comes into play also.

i always thought you had one of the coolest setups here, deadlift. glad to see youre still finding new ways of making it awesome. whenever i manage to get a mancave i think i will have a raised area like yours too. love that.

I too will someday be copying deadlift's set up. Love the custom case, that's a long term project I want to do.

Wow, very nice deadlift1, jealous!

I don't even know what to say...

I appreciate it guys. I was inspired by a lot of the other setups I have seen here on [H]. Hopefully I can pick up some more ideas from you guys in the future. My mind is always churning, coming up with new ideas and designs. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't but that is half the fun.

very sweet stuff... nice to see some action in this thread again. that shot of megan fox is the best.. I don't care what people say about her attitude, she's farkin hot... loving that custom case also. :)

very sweet stuff... nice to see some action in this thread again. that shot of megan fox is the best.. I don't care what people say about her attitude, she's farkin hot... loving that custom case also. :)

Back in those first two Transformers movies she was the hottest thing on the planet. She's still very close but she's had a few touch ups done to her face and lips. Why on earth a women with her natural beauty would feel the need to do that I don't know.

Back in those first two Transformers movies she was the hottest thing on the planet. She's still very close but she's had a few touch ups done to her face and lips. Why on earth a women with her natural beauty would feel the need to do that I don't know.

Is that a picture of Maxim Podtynny?

The stance in the picture looks like a sumo deadlift (which maxim was known for), but the bandana makes it difficult to figure out who it is.

Nice to see another powerlifter on the [H]. While I am nowhere near a national level competitor, I did manage to total 1530@247lbs.

Your setup looks beautiful man. Very jealous (in a good way) :)

Is that a picture of Maxim Podtynny?

The stance in the picture looks like a sumo deadlift (which maxim was known for), but the bandana makes it difficult to figure out who it is.

Nice to see another powerlifter on the [H]. While I am nowhere near a national level competitor, I did manage to total 1530@247lbs.

Your setup looks beautiful man. Very jealous (in a good way) :)

Not Maxim but not a bad guess. Maxim was a beast in his day and one of the few to join the ranks of the 900lb deadlift club.

This is cool.. We should start a new fed called the PLTCG (powerlifters turned computer geeks). We may find 3 other members if we are lucky.

I competed in the 275s and 308s. Best total was 2050. Competed in the APF senior nationals a few times and tons of local and regional meets. I co founded Diablo Barbell out here in California 10 years ago but I have not been involved with lifting/competing since 2006. I did a few strongman competitions along the way which I was much better suited for but powerlifting was my passion back then.

Are you still competing?

Not Maxim but not a bad guess. Maxim was a beast in his day and one of the few to join the ranks of the 900lb deadlift club.

This is cool.. We should start a new fed called the PLTCG (powerlifters turned computer geeks). We may find 3 other members if we are lucky.

I competed in the 275s and 308s. Best total was 2050. Competed in the APF senior nationals a few times and tons of local and regional meets. I co founded Diablo Barbell out here in California 10 years ago but I have not been involved with lifting/competing since 2006. I did a few strongman competitions along the way which I was much better suited for but powerlifting was my passion back then.

Are you still competing?

2050 total!!!!??! That's pure beast mode. If I may ask a personal question, is that Raw or Equipped? Either are very impressive, but if you did 2000+ lbs raw, you are a God amongst men.

As for me, I am a smidgen embarrassed to admit I took up body building due to joint issues (I developed horrible bone spurs in my elbows). I am physically larger now (272lbs in off season), but I rarely max out any more. My squat and deadlift have improved, but I can't bench worth a damn anymore.

Interesting side note: Steve from HardOCP was a big time lifter back in the day as well. There are some pictures floating around (maybe from 2001) where he is sporting 20+ inch arms. It's always nice to see "computer geeks" who dispel any preconceived notions of what we are supposed to look like.

2050 total!!!!??! That's pure beast mode. If I may ask a personal question, is that Raw or Equipped? Either are very impressive, but if you did 2000+ lbs raw, you are a God amongst men.

As for me, I am a smidgen embarrassed to admit I took up body building due to joint issues (I developed horrible bone spurs in my elbows). I am physically larger now (272lbs in off season), but I rarely max out any more. My squat and deadlift have improved, but I can't bench worth a damn anymore.

Interesting side note: Steve from HardOCP was a big time lifter back in the day as well. There are some pictures floating around (maybe from 2001) where he is sporting 20+ inch arms. It's always nice to see "computer geeks" who dispel any preconceived notions of what we are supposed to look like.

It was equipped and for what's its worth it was drug free. Obviously the APF doesn't test but I always liked lifting in that fed the best. That was done at the APF Southwest regionals in Las Vegas back in 2005. 826 sq, 567 bench, 655 dead. The squat and bench were personal bests but 705 dead was my best done a year earlier. I retired shortly after my second son was born. Both my boys came to my last meet and when I was unracking my opening squat my oldest yells out "go daddy"! As I'm standing there with 804lbs on my back every horrible thought of injury raced through my mind and how a devastating injury would affect my boys. I was done right then and there and I knew it. I miss the training and competing but I left at the right time. Besides, building, overclocking, watercooling, gaming and general computer madness occupy my free time now!

It was equipped and for what's its worth it was drug free. Obviously the APF doesn't test but I always liked lifting in that fed the best. That was done at the APF Southwest regionals in Las Vegas back in 2005. 826 sq, 567 bench, 655 dead. The squat and bench were personal bests but 705 dead was my best done a year earlier. I retired shortly after my second son was born. Both my boys came to my last meet and when I was unracking my opening squat my oldest yells out "go daddy"! As I'm standing there with 804lbs on my back every horrible thought of injury raced through my mind and how a devastating injury would affect my boys. I was done right then and there and I knew it. I miss the training and competing but I left at the right time. Besides, building, overclocking, watercooling, gaming and general computer madness occupy my free time now!

That's awesome man. I really respect you for walking away when the time was right for you and your family.

I know alot of guys trying to hang on to past glory, pumping anything and everything into their body in an attempt to beat father time. The toll it takes on them is a price I wouldn't be willing to pay if I had people depending on me (like wife, kids etc). With that being said, I am not a drug free lifter, so who am I to judge?

I'm sure your kids still get a kick out of saying "My dad is stronger than your dad" :)

That's awesome man. I really respect you for walking away when the time was right for you and your family.

I know alot of guys trying to hang on to past glory, pumping anything and everything into their body in an attempt to beat father time. The toll it takes on them is a price I wouldn't be willing to pay if I had people depending on me (like wife, kids etc). With that being said, I am not a drug free lifter, so who am I to judge?

I'm sure your kids still get a kick out of saying "My dad is stronger than your dad" :)

I just knew it was time. The low back acts up a bit every once in a while but nothing too serious.

BTW I have no issue with lifters, bodybuilders, strength athletes or any athlete for that matter using drugs. I simply competed against any and all and loved doing it.

We are probably going to get moved to the general mayhem forums but this is a great discussion.

@deadlift1 how do you like that Vizio W8 tablet? It looks pretty solid. I've been looking at the Lenovo tablets. Also i absolutely love your mancave. Mines still a work in progress. once i move out and get a house ill have space to build one outside of my room D:

also I've started lifting not to long ago. i think im the opposite of you guys tho. Started as a nerd going into lifting.

@deadlift1 how do you like that Vizio W8 tablet? It looks pretty solid. I've been looking at the Lenovo tablets. Also i absolutely love your mancave. Mines still a work in progress. once i move out and get a house ill have space to build one outside of my room D:

also I've started lifting not to long ago. i think im the opposite of you guys tho. Started as a nerd going into lifting.

It's actually a Vizio tv not a tablet. I run it as a 4th monitor when not being used as a tv. It's a16" LED model that they no longer make. I do want to get one of the windows 8 pro tablets when they come out though.

Congrats on getting into lifting. Once it's in your blood it never leaves.

Here's my "Fortress of Solitude" It's still under construction but I'm slowly getting it done. I split our garage in half with a wall, one side for storage/home improvement space, the other mancave.

img1526vq.jpg
[/URL]

img1524ji.jpg
[/URL]

img1523ol.jpg
[/URL]

img1519iy.jpg
[/URL]

img1522b.jpg
[/URL]

img1512lx.jpg
[/URL]

img1479kc.jpg
[/URL]

img1516r.jpg
[/URL]

speakers are for audio, not home theater.
PassLabs2.png

there are now a few sound panels on the back wall but this pic is close enough.
listeningChair.png

my new expandable CD storage solution :p
if i ever move, I'm already packed!
MusicStorage2013.png

its actually sacds, mostly.

vinyl may be coming later this year, though!

I am looking for a suitable office "stool" to use for this very purpose. I plan on lifting my ikea galant up to a 42" height but I still want a chair for times when I actually want to sit down.

my awesome panoramic + ms paint skills lol...just noticed the nieces toy box at the end of the couch in that... boo

fireplace, recliner, shitter, below grade, big tv, computer...

24067880.jpg

Here's mine. Obutto Revolution gaming cockpit, 3 30" monitors in portrait mode, CH products flight sim gear, and a loft bed above it all so that I could fit it all in my bedroom.
Thus ensuring that I will never get laid again, haha.

It's not as polished as many of the very impressive ones I have seen folks post here (stuff like cable management). Also, I've since used bungee cables to bring the monitors closer together and close up the small gaps between them.

For all those guys who have their speakers placed very closely with each other, I cannot recommend highly enough spacing them out. Ever since I moved my 5.1 speakers further apart as pictured, the audio in games, movies, and music seems to "breathe" a lot more, and seem wider or more open. This is especially true in gaming and movies that offer 5.1 sound.

full-1446-52807-20130128_142524.jpg

full-1446-52808-20130128_142537.jpg

full-1446-52809-20130128_142550.jpg

Last edited:
Damn three 30" in portrait. I would love to try a setup like that someday. PLP is great by that setup has always been in the back of my mind.

Did you build the loft bed yourself?

I love the 3 30" in portrait. Hardly any fish eye effect on the corners, lots more vertical resolution, and less of a feeling of having the picture compressed vertically but stretched horizontally. I tried 3 24" horizontal and hated it for those reasons. 3 30" would be even worse. I tried PLP with a center 30" and 2 20" and loved that, and would prefer to use that, but since neither NVIDIA or AMD support PLP for gaming, I got sick of having to use hacks and SoftTH, and being limited to DX9 games.

No to building the loft myself- I got it custom made by a guy in Colorado who builds really heavy duty loft beds. It's great, and is king sized.

I still try to talk the wife into a loft bed on occasion, but here recently, and unexpectedly, she is working on a little brother, (I hope) for my 23 and 19 year olds. Gravity seems not to be her friend. :)

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a loft bed unless you really need to maximize space usage. I live in a one bedroom apartment, and I didn't want the Obutto in my living room nor in my study, and it wouldn't really fit in the bedroom next to my king-size bed (well, it would, but it was ridiculously tight and one monitor was hanging over the mattress).

I really had no other choice if I wanted to practically have both bed and Obutto in the same room.

Don't get me wrong- I really like the loft and sleeping in it is equally comfortable as with my other bed. It's also structurally sound. It's just that there's not a lot of space overhead, and climbing in and out is less easy than getting in and out of a regular bed. To say nothing of one's sex life with the ceiling relatively close.

Anyway, if you are interested in learning about the fellow who made it, I can list his website here.

I still try to talk the wife into a loft bed on occasion, but here recently, and unexpectedly, she is working on a little brother, (I hope) for my 23 and 19 year olds. Gravity seems not to be her friend. :)

Whoops, somebody needs to take the bullets out of the gun :D

Don't get me wrong- I really like the loft and sleeping in it is equally comfortable as with my other bed. It's also structurally sound. It's just that there's not a lot of space overhead, and climbing in and out is less easy than getting in and out of a regular bed. To say nothing of one's sex life with the ceiling relatively close.

Take advantage of the close ceiling - attach some handrails :D

Back