The [H] Post Pictures of your ManCave

dsc07948.jpg

Awesome ManCave, got me drooling!

damn, some of you guys have crazier server setups than a lot of medium sized businesses. what the hell do you do with all that? why does one need 24 individual ethernet cords? that said im totally jelly of all that gear, even if i have no idea what it does. my crappy samsung home theater in a box, while not providing very good sound quality provides plenty of volume, i can easily turn it up to extremely uncomfortable levels. i cant imagine how one would utilize 8 subs in a single room without damaging the foundation of their house.

damn, some of you guys have crazier server setups than a lot of medium sized businesses. what the hell do you do with all that? why does one need 24 individual ethernet cords? that said im totally jelly of all that gear, even if i have no idea what it does. my crappy samsung home theater in a box, while not providing very good sound quality provides plenty of volume, i can easily turn it up to extremely uncomfortable levels. i cant imagine how one would utilize 8 subs in a single room without damaging the foundation of their house.

Because some people like to have every room in the house with ethernet, and an outlet or two on EACH wall of EACH room, cause you never know when the wifey wants to move things around and you are ready for any and all changes ;)

Because some people like to have every room in the house with ethernet, and an outlet or two on EACH wall of EACH room, cause you never know when the wifey wants to move things around and you are ready for any and all changes ;)

Hell yeah.

subscribed!

first house will be finished in march! basement has been left unfinished on purpose just for me :)

Amen

I think the sales person tricked you when he said they could do 14kW, the power lead has a rating of 3.5kW according to the official pdf (which still is a hell of a lot of power btw):

Unprecedented •• power density – The FP 14000 delivers a total
of 14000 W (2 x 7000 W @ 2 ohms) in only 2U.

???

I love your console graveyard, makes me wish I would of kept all mine. You even have sega cd, nice!

I see he has the Sega Nomad as well. I had to replace the screen on mine a few years ago but its still going strong.

Not continuously, no, but speakers are dynamic. They do not draw a continuous load by nature, and this is especially true for subs as they tend to show their full might for relatively short periods of time.

The input current takes care of what it can, and capacitors take care of the rest.

A good deal of the engineering in amplifiers at this level goes into how quickly the amp can charge and discharge its capacitors.

You can't have more power coming out than you have coming in (if you did you just became the richest person on this planet).

You can't have more power coming out than you have coming in (if you did you just became the richest person on this planet).

and the thd on that amp @ 1400w would be hilariousness.. more distortion than anything.

Wasn't really bashing the product was stating / asking about THD at that level, Just because it has a crap load of caps in it doesn't mean any thing. POWER amps like that need a strong HEAVY duty PSU to push that kinda power out. I would only assume it would be a smps, because if it had a Toroidal TX in it, it would weigh A TON.

You are right about beaking off if you want to call it that, I don't know anything about that brand never heard of it either.

Resistor load, nice idea, is that hot water elements in there ?

personally i'm more of a Class A Amplifier person with High efficiently speakers.

Christ, I know all about big inefficient toroids. They definitely have their places though. I'm running a Denon 5308 for my mains and surrounds which has a monster toroid and I love it. Before those LG amps, I was running 4 Marathon MA-5050s. My god they were heavy. They were making the racks I built bend. I'm also with you on highly sensitive speakers, my mains are around 104db and my surrounds around 99db.

These were 3U units, weighed in around 80lbs a piece.

psEut.jpg

R1UJ1.jpg

As for the PS on the FP14000s, this is what they look like. LG did a lot of work on regulated switching mode power supplies. Super efficient.

1lBcH.jpg

Last edited:
These are my amps,

P1030457.JPG

P1030461.JPG

Class A 15-20watt on a 13-19V rails. Yes that's my name on them :)

My setup for the 2 speakers

DSCN3054.JPG

Playing with Cap Values for the Ribbon Tweeter..

DSCN3064.JPG

I'm ordering new 2U chassis x 2 for my amp chassis, as i'm re-designing them.

I'm running 4 aleph Mini's 2 per speaker for bi-amping WAY OVER KILL for power but i love the sound of the mini's.

I just finished my test pre-amp a B1 ( nelson Pass design again ) However in my last 10 years i've been stuck with my 100$ passive pot instead of a buffer pre-amp or a line-pre-amp.

My man cave.
7.1 Surround sound, daul subs, 37" LG TV as my PC screen. 2x Pioneer CDJ1000s/DJM700

2012-01-21151531.jpg

2012-01-21151345.jpg

damn nice stuff guys! especially dregan, you got no wife or kids im guessing? seems like some nice stuff for a walmart mintenance man unless youre knokcing over banks on the side or something... :D sadly im only planning on staying in hawaii for another 3 or 4 years, so i dont want to build up a badass man cave and then only get a year or 2 to enjoy it. im looking forward to buying my own permanent place in 5-10 years and setting up something like this too!

in the middle of the night I'd break my fucking leg if I had a barbell next to the side of my bed lol

It's setups like these that make me regret / wish that I didn't live in an attached townhouse vs a detached home ;(

Theres a sort of ellegance to that setup s0urce. I like it.

Back