The [H] Post Pictures of your ManCave

So much awesome yet still nerds :D

For some reason it strikes me as odd that all the "man caves" are inside a house, I would have expected someone to convert a shed into something awesome where there are no women allowed, just like when we were kids.

Or a tree house, which would be flat awesome too! Eventually we're gonna have to get around to a poll and give some kind of man cave award relative to the design. Like a free box of microwave popcorn for a home theater or some zombie targets for the guy who has an armory.

LOL Like the " He-man woman haters club" from the old Little Rascals shows...

:D

I know that theater :p

If you get to show off, so do I...

Mine's just a bit more budget restricted, I'll grant you. Still, the two huge 16Hz tapped horn subs lurking behind a 102" screen should give some idea on what I've been subjecting my house to. For the curious... yes, Scott Pilgrim will in fact knock pieces off the wall at 120dB. I've removed the cover on the ceiling fixture in that first pic - the whole ceiling flaps up and down when the horns get going. I don't want glass up there flapping around with it.

Anyhoo - 7.1 channels, designed/built all the speakers myself. Built the whole system for less than $2.5k.

Are those DIY fullrange drivers with a ribbon tweeter stuck in the middle of a mid? Aren't there issues with both the fact that it's kind of a strange setup with a lot of mass in front of the woofer+that metal bar and that you have two of them running close to fullrange in the same box? Wouldn't that cause lobing issues? Also, why plywood? At the volumes you're running aren't you worried about a lack of rigidity in the box and lost energy?

Believe it or not, those are the dashboard Infinity speakers out of seven first generation Chrysler minivans. Five bucks a pair, intended to be temporary until I could afford to build something better. Yep, those are EMIT ribbon tweeters - you could only get them in 1988 and 1989 minivans and LeBaron convertibles.

I have 8 spares in case any of these blow. None have, yet. The tweeters are incredible, the woofers not so much. They will not keep up with the tapped horns, even with two per box, so I don't try... my LFE is run 7dB hot on purpose. Lobing and comb filtering isn't too big a deal - the coaxials are close enough together to do the job. The plywood was free so I took it.

At a cost of $100 to build all seven of them, I'm not complaining. It's going to cost me a grand or more to build the new guys.

Believe it or not, those are the dashboard Infinity speakers out of seven first generation Chrysler minivans. Five bucks a pair, intended to be temporary until I could afford to build something better. Yep, those are EMIT ribbon tweeters - you could only get them in 1988 and 1989 minivans and LeBaron convertibles.

I have 8 spares in case any of these blow. None have, yet. The tweeters are incredible, the woofers not so much. They will not keep up with the tapped horns, even with two per box, so I don't try... my LFE is run 7dB hot on purpose. Lobing and comb filtering isn't too big a deal - the coaxials are close enough together to do the job. The plywood was free so I took it.

At a cost of $100 to build all seven of them, I'm not complaining. It's going to cost me a grand or more to build the new guys.

Sometimes it's all about doing what you can with what you have. I think you've done an excellent job and applaud your efforts.

Thanks... made a mistake though. I have 8 pairs of spares. Yeah, I'm a loon :D

I pretty much clean the salvage yard out of the EMIT models every time I go. At $5 a pair, why not? Worth it for the ribbon tweeters alone. Eventually I ended up with a hoard, decided I really needed to do something with them, and here I am today. I did have one start to lose the glue bond between the woofer surround and the basket, causing buzzing. Dropped another one in and it was fine again. No point re-gluing it when I have so many spares on hand.

Currently debating between a completely new high efficiency 5.1 set, or keeping four of these as surrounds and just doing new LCR's. Space is limited in this room, and I really like 7.1 channels. The subs are capable of 125dB sustained, which is too loud for both me and the house, so no upgrade needed there. Just need a new front stage to keep up with them.

oh hi, gallery at http://countercultured.net/pics/ht

new couch not in the pics, but *shrug*, my version of the ultimate man cave.

I normally don't post in this forum but I lurk a lot.. Anyway, Love this build.

I checked out the link to your build shots, more on the speaker boxes. I like to build them in my spare time for friends and what not. I noticed you used that crappy circle jig from homedepo.. I have that and hate it, it'll slide out of where you put it, and the guide stinks.

Check this out: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-260

If you cut circle rings on a fairly regular basis, the above will definitly cut down on your build time. You can easily cut a perfect ring in less then 10 minutes.

anyway, big ups on the build and thanks for sharing!

We moved in January of year. We actually closed on the house in December and I had two weeks prior to moving in to get some projects done around the house. My original plan was to lay tile in the two bathrooms upstairs during week one and build out the mancave in week 2. Well, week 2 turned into week 3, 4, 5, 6.....you get the idea. 6 months later I am 99% done. I say 99% because like most of you I will constantly be tinkering, updating, rearranging, rewiring, building and adding stuff to the cave. I spent months putting together framing ideas and constantly tweaking my concept until I settled on the final draft I was satisfied with. Here are some pics. Enjoy!

i'm noting this now for ideas for my future man cave.

that's freaking hilarious. who's the pimp in the back row with THREE girlfriends?

never mind that, just tell me where you live so I can home invade your place and squat in your house. I like your man cave more than mine so I am coming to TAKE IT!

very nice dude.
(PS i am kidding, I will not come and home invade you, that was a joke).

I normally don't post in this forum but I lurk a lot.. Anyway, Love this build.

I checked out the link to your build shots, more on the speaker boxes. I like to build them in my spare time for friends and what not. I noticed you used that crappy circle jig from homedepo.. I have that and hate it, it'll slide out of where you put it, and the guide stinks.

Check this out: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=365-260

If you cut circle rings on a fairly regular basis, the above will definitly cut down on your build time. You can easily cut a perfect ring in less then 10 minutes.

anyway, big ups on the build and thanks for sharing!

Thanks,

It's actually a craftsman circle jig. I haven't had any problems with it to date, but everyone does love the jasper jig. I needed it ASAP and grabbed it at the local sears hardware.

I'd love to get a keg of Guinness in the kegerator someday but the cost of the keg alone is well north of $200 not to mention all the extra hardware I'd need to dispense it properly. Maybe as a birthday present someday.

Why the fuck would you ruin a perfectly good keg a Guinness by making it cold?

No man cave for me. House is to small for it :(

I have a office/man cave. I'll post more later but here is my desk. Also in the room is a sofa and a 58" plasma. I also have a storage/closest off of it but it is a total mess right now so no pictures.

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2788/img2672p.jpg

I also have a rec room but it is family oriented. 100" screen with Epson 8700UB projector and 7.1 audio, HTPC, all the essentials. Behind the sofa is my childs play area, about a 10x15 area. I'll post more shots of this later too.

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5038/img2665n.jpg

http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/8843/img2353.jpg

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8759/img2487ao.jpg

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3606/img2489f.jpg

Very nice. When can I house sit for you?

img2353.jpg

liking the colors!

darinvg

That is an INCREDIBLE use of space. I love it brother!

reminds me of how bad my basment was before the home theatre went in. We had flooding down there three times a year before I added a sump pump, water sealing paint and new city drain lines outside.

I wanted to buy one of those over sized bean bags. Just want to test it out in person beforehand.

Oh oh - can I play? I actually have two spaces I could consider my "Man Cave" though my living room is more of a mix between my wife and I, it still is my "man cave" when I am not in my office.

MY OFFICE - Where I am about 80% of the time.

MY LIVING ROOM - Where I am about 15% of the time.

Just for clarification on "what are those speakers?" in case you may wish to ask.

FRONT: Paradigm Studio 100 v5
REAR: Paradigm Studio 60's v5
CENTER: Paradigm CC-590
SUBS: MFW-15 15" @ 350w ea.