The [H] Post Pictures of your ManCave

Discussion in 'Case Mod Gallery' started by FrEaKy, Sep 28, 2011.

1. MrGuvernment

MrGuvernment [H]ard as it Gets

I am no pro but should you not have your rear speakers more behind you vs pointing right down? Or not real option to put them back further as they would be mounted to high up cause of the ceiling.

Still sexa as heck!

2. TESLA

TESLA Gawd

Bear in mind that 5.1 specifies the surround and not the surround back channels. 7.1 meanwhile has both surround and surround back channels.

It depends on your school of thought, but most recommendations have the surround speakers more to the sides of the listening position rather than behind you. But generally it is easier to place the surround channels behind rather than to the sides, hence the prevalence of "rear" speakers in 5.1 setups in the home.

3. EndersShadow

EndersShadow [H]ard|Gawd

Figured since I moved stuff around I would post here. My mancave is also my 2 channel stereo setup, and I focus more on that in their than video or my computer. Dont know how old my last showing of my office setup was, but there is a LOT of new gear there now.

My wife was out with her friends on Friday leaving me home with our 6 month old baby Skye. I had just gotten in some cables from DouglasConnection to demo, specifically the 9 gauge cables and 2 sets of speaker wire jumpers. I also have 2 sets of interconnects coming in so I can have a full setup of their cables. I will be reviewing these cables over the course of a couple weeks and putting them against my Kimber Kable Hero IC's and Kimber 8VS internally bi-wired speaker cables in my downstairs setup.

To start with though I decided this was the best time to just sit and really re-organize my setup in the office as I was using just cheap Monoprice speaker wire. I had a entertainment center with 2 shelves I wasn't really utilizing right and a equipment rack that I just couldn't seem to find a way to incorporate right with the rest of my gear. So I went to work and from the hours of 10:30 - 1 got everything moved around. I managed to bring all my gear out and have it in the room, even if its not plugged in.

I also managed to re-work things so that I can actually get a decent set of speaker cables in there and not need a 15 foot cable for one speaker and a 6 foot for another one. This means for this setup once these demo cables move along to the next guy to I can hopefully re-use some of the Audioquest FLX 14/4 speaker wire I have already instead of the horrible Monoprice stuff I had been using.

So here is my setup now as it stands. I think this will be where I leave things for at least 6 months. Its the most optimized setup for me. All units are as close together as possible allowing for the shortest runs of interconnects and speaker cables which means less cost and easier to keep cables run properly. I still want a power-conditioner like a Panamax unit to go underneath my Parasound amplifier, but for now everything's through a power-strip. I also hope to upgrade all the power cables as well. I am looking at Cullen Cable, Douglas Connection, Audioquest or Kimber. I will wait till I get my conditioner though.

Here is the rig as it stands:

[​IMG]

Daily Drivers:

Sources:
    • CD/SACD/DVD-A Player: Denon 3910
    • Laserdisc Player: Pioneer LD-S1
    • FLAC: Custom Computer
    • Turntable: Technics SL-B3
    • Phono-pre: Harman Kardon Citation Eleven
    Pre-amp:
    • Sunfire TGA-II
    Amp:
    • Parasound HCA-700ii
    Cables:

• Denon 3910: 1m Audioquest G-Snakes
    • Laserdisc: Rat Shack - (looking to upgrade)
    • Computer: Black Cat Digital Cable - THANKS PHIL!
    • Turntable: stock
    • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven: 4m Audioquest Sidewinder - thanks to whoever pointed out this deal on the forum

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now you may ask.... what happened to that pretty equipment rack you had Dan..... Well here is your answer, it became my SHOW PIECE/VINTAGE GEAR RACK!!!. This is where I keep my vintage looking pieces, both in use (Turntable, HK) and those units not in rotation right now for whatever reason. It lets me keep them out to show off even when not in use. It needs some more gear in it though, hopefully a nice Marantz integrated, and some good Kenwood and Onkyo pieces too....

[​IMG]

Here is what is currently in each shelf from Top to Bottom:

Units
    • Technics SL-B3
    • Harman Kardon Citation Eleven Pre-amp - this unit is actually being utilized for my turntable above it. I can use the EQ switches on the face of the unit (which I like) and its pre-outs to go to the Sunfire
    • Fisher 460t tube amp - needs to be looked at, once fully functional it will sit on top my Parasound to switch between the two for those long demo days
    • Carver M1.0t
    • Yamaha R-300 - my dads original unit that I hope to get refurbed and working to give back to him as a gift. I also hope to replace the cheap case (vinyl on pressboard) with a nice custom wood made case
    • Pioneer Laserdisc CLD-D504
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. deadlift1

deadlift1 [H]ard|Gawd

What are your musical tastes? I like how you have all the gear on display even though some of it is not currently in use. Good conversation starters.

Thank God this thread is picking up again! :D

5. EndersShadow

EndersShadow [H]ard|Gawd

Well it ranges from Skrillex, to Metallica/ AC DC, to Newsboys to Mike Oldfield to Rascall Flats.

I listen to just about everything but don't listen to as much Classical, Jazz, or Country as I do other stuff.

Yeah, it gets em out of the closet and does indeed start some fun conversations. I want to show off all the cool stuff I have. Plus its easy to switch them in and out as I want since they are right there.

6. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

thanks!

i tried to follow the THX recommendations as much as I could. i moved the sub closer to the couch instead of under the screen. sounds great!

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/

[​IMG]

7. Elfear

Elfear Limp Gawd

Love the Modcave!

8. Octonaut

Octonaut Gawd

He must be very short to do all his modding there :)

9. MrGuvernment

10. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

i think sound depth behind the listener can be achieved with a 7.1 system. in a 5.1 setup, the surround speakers are for sound localization to the sides of the listener.

11. invalidbuffalo

invalidbuffalo Limp Gawd

[​IMG]

Milkdrop on the projector, Shpongle through the horns.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  12. noobtech

noobtech 2[H]4U

[​IMG][/URL][/QUOTE]

I just beat that level today! LOL :D

13. JacobC1983

JacobC1983 2[H]4U

I have been on that level for weeks! I keep getting pissed and quitting... I don't have the patience I did as a kid. Or the time, now that I think about it.

14. MrGuvernment

cant say it is a man cave really, but my own little office for now, does the trick, would love to do things to it but we are looking to sell the house, so why invest money in something that no one else would understand!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  15. myelin1

myelin1 Limp Gawd

let's see some updates! post yer stuff!

16. sladesurfer

sladesurfer [H]ard|Gawd

Just cleaned up half of my garage to use as a gaming/work area. I need ideas on desk set up and etch. thanks :thumb:

[​IMG]

17. ranviper

ranviper [H]ard|Gawd

18. l3p

l3p Limp Gawd

Took me a few full days ... but finally everything is cleaned up and sorted :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

That's a lot of bins. I would be looking for something forever lol

20. l3p

l3p Limp Gawd

That's the point ... not anymore, all racks are sorted on for example audio/video cables - sleeving - connectors - PSU cables - LED - powerbuttons etc etc :)

21. Yaka

Yaka Gawd

damn l3p, im so jealous, since getting married and activating the spawn portal in my wife, ive had sell 90% of my tools. i do miss having a room where i could work on random projects

22. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

activating the spawn portal ahahhahahahah that's so funny

23. Yaka

Yaka Gawd

aye, i always try to put a doom/quake spin on real life stuff, im kinda fucked up like that, but its amazing when say im taking one of the kids to the dentist/docs etc receptionists ask when they were born, i rub my chin and say "...um lets he pop out of the spawn portal 5 years ago in umm 2007.." she goes "er...spawn....portal...?" and i reply "yes its what you may call a wife" with big crazy smile. i love the reaction i get off peeps:D

24. gigatexal

gigatexal [H]ardness Supreme

Glorious. So funny. I think I might add it to my sig

25. Yaka

Yaka Gawd

long as i get credit :) plz do

26. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

l3p - looks like Santa's workshop. ;) :cool::cool:

27. buckfever5

buckfever5 n00b

No kidding. I remember before the spawn portal when I had money and I could upgrade my computer every 20 minutes. I'm having trouble keeping possession of the garage from all the females in this house.

28. rflcptr

rflcptr [H]ardness Supreme

you have a lovesac! :cool:

29. JacobC1983

JacobC1983 2[H]4U

I do, I have had it for several years. Now it is mostly my dog's bed but you can catch me relaxing in it from time to time.

30. ToddW2

ToddW2 2[H]4U

So that's how you organized all those cables :eek:

31. Retronym

Retronym Something big is coming.

new speakers are here :cool:

atc scm150asl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  32. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

How often do you sleep on the couch because of it? :D

33. longblock454

longblock454 [H]ard|Gawd

That picture gives me wood, those are awesome.

34. Fud

Fud Limp Gawd

I shivered when I saw this pic...that's a sic setup

35. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

Here are some updated pictures. I just got the new rack in. Still have to put my server in and the new amp for my DIY sub,

New Server case with 12 hot swaps.
    [​IMG]

New black drop ceiling. Have to figure out what light's it's going with.
    [​IMG]

And my new rack. I will update the picture when I get it all finished.
    [​IMG]

From the top it's a Yamaha RX-A2000, Xbox one, Samsung cable box. HTPC with a 3930k, 6870 (for now till the 290's come back down). Server should be going in today and inuke3000dsp amp will be here next week.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  36. deadlift1

deadlift1 [H]ard|Gawd

Is that 3930K enough for your HTPC? :p

37. Makeroflostsouls

Makeroflostsouls 2[H]4U

Was my main rig when I worked from home. I don't game in my office any more so I put it all in my htpc. So now I just game on my projector or the 50 inch its hooked up to.

38. ranviper

ranviper [H]ard|Gawd

39. invalidbuffalo

invalidbuffalo Limp Gawd

I almost didn't notice the cat-

Just got a new projector screen. It's a step up from the white photo backdrop paper I was using previously. Sorry for the dark pic
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  40. ranviper

ranviper [H]ard|Gawd

Yeah, that was my old chair and I was originally going to throw it out when I got a new one...but she starting using it and I couldn't throw it away. It's her official office chair now. :cool:

Nice looking screen btw.