The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Just wanted to mention to everyone that if you use pirateship (or other reputable mailers) you can usually ship a bubble envelope for like $3. i mailed a 3090 across the country fully insured recently for under $20.

i might be interested in the RAM, waiting on a purchase to go through to get some $$ in my paypal.

Just wanted to mention to everyone that if you use pirateship (or other reputable mailers) you can usually ship a bubble envelope for like $3. i mailed a 3090 across the country fully insured recently for under $20.

i might be interested in the RAM, waiting on a purchase to go through to get some $$ in my paypal.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh... not... anymore. USPS added some bullshit extra costs related to distance in the past couple of years. A 4 oz envelope (1st Class Parcel) sent to my own zip code in SoCal costs $3.59. That same envelope costs $3.97 to ship to Tennessee, or $4.13 to New York, Hawaii or Alaska. It adds up. :(

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh... not... anymore. USPS added some bullshit extra costs related to distance in the past couple of years. A 4 oz envelope (1st Class Parcel) sent to my own zip code in SoCal costs $3.59. That same envelope costs $3.97 to ship to Tennessee, or $4.13 to New York, Hawaii or Alaska. It adds up. :(
And also remember folks consider shipping with someone who will not make a damage claim a pain in the event it arrives destroyed.

Thinning down my always unmanageable horde of computer stuff. You pay shipping, unless otherwise noted. Problems (if known) are noted. As always, this stuff is older and probably won't garner much interest.

Laptops:
Acer Aspire One 756-2623 (Celeron 877, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) - Something is wrong with the screen, half of the screen glitches, it can be made to temporarily work if you lightly flex it. Battery is very weak. The fan is noisy, makes a constant buzzing sound. Doesn't include charger. Boots to Windows 10, has Windows 7 Home Premium COA. Those cheap 65W Walmart chargers work with this laptop.

HP DV6-6c11nr (A4-3305M, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD) - No battery, no charger. Laptop seems to work fine, has Windows 10 Home installed with Windows 7 Home Premium COA. Walmart 90W charger works with this model. A few dings in the top lid. Gone

Sony VAIO PCG-71913L (i3-2310M, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HD) - No battery, no charger. Laptop has moderate plastic wear and scratching/scuffing. Broken plastic around power jack. Screen has two lines going vertically down 2/3 to the right side of the screen. Boots to Windows 10, doesn't have a COA, but is legit licensed. The barrel connector is an odd size and needs a Sony specific barrel. I can point you where to get one, can't part with mine since I have another Sony laptop that uses it.

Optical drives:
4-5 DVD-ROM drives of various capability, both IDE and SATA. All are black.

Apple Stuff:
2007 Mac Mini A1176 ( Core 2 1.83, 3 GB RAM, 80 GB HD) - Machine works fine, currently has Linux installed on it using Boot Camp. I would like $25 on top of shipping to cover the cost of the power adapter I had to buy for it. Gone
Airport Extreme A1408 - Comes in original box with power adapter. Seems to work fine after factory defaulting it, can connect to it with my laptops and phone. Gone

Motherboards:

These haven't been powered on in awhile, I will test them before shipping to see if they still work.

Asus P4S800D-X - Comes with a P4 1.5, whatever RAM I can scare up and a stock cooler. No I/O shield. Might have an AGP card floating around to include with it.
VIA Epia-M10000 - Highly integrated ITX board with a Via C3 @ 1 GHz. Comes with 1 GB of RAM.
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H - Comes with a Phenom II x3 720, 2 GB RAM and stock cooler. No I/O shield. The Phenom can unlock the 4th core, but it isn't stable unless you bump the vcore up, or slow the CPU down.
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 - Comes with a Core 2 E6420, 2 GB RAM and a Foxconn cooler. Does include the I/O shield. I'm the original owner of this board, unfortunately the original box was lost.

Cards:

Geforce 7300LE 128M PCIe Gone
D-Link DWA-542 PCI Gone
Creative X-Fi SB0460 - Comes with the 5.25" bay SB0250, does NOT include the ribbon cables. Might work with an IDE ribbon cable? There be dragons, unknown if will work or send it up in smoke. Gone

Computers / Cases:

Won't ship this stuff, local pickup only.

HP Compaq Athlon 64 3500+ mid tower, boots. Good for a retro rig.
Generic ATX black mid tower case.

Last edited:
true, but it is almost always still cheaper than a flat rate box which people seem to gravitate towards. also you can get UPS labels for way cheaper. just wanted people to be aware is all. obviously, do what you think is best!

true, but it is almost always still cheaper than a flat rate box which people seem to gravitate towards. also you can get UPS labels for way cheaper. just wanted people to be aware is all. obviously, do what you think is best!

Their cost is worth their convenience. They save a massive amount of time not having to find a box, remember where you put your tape measure and bathroom scale and search dozens of different websites for "deals". The flat rate box is the same cost up to 70 pounds.

I'm sure if you spent an inordinate amount of time researching all of the shipping hacks, you could get a good rate. But, most of us don't want to spend all day looking for shipping deals on free items we're giving away. Don't punch a gift horse in the mouth.

I myself refuse to deal with UPS, they're absolute garbage here. They drop kick stuff out the back of their truck, will drive by your house with the package in the truck and never deliver it, and their local shipping office is an absolutely miserable experience.

Their cost is worth their convenience. They save a massive amount of time not having to find a box, remember where you put your tape measure and bathroom scale and search dozens of different websites for "deals". The flat rate box is the same cost up to 70 pounds.

I'm sure if you spent an inordinate amount of time researching all of the shipping hacks, you could get a good rate. But, most of us don't want to spend all day looking for shipping deals on free items we're giving away. Don't punch a gift horse in the mouth.

I myself refuse to deal with UPS, they're absolute garbage here. They drop kick stuff out the back of their truck, will drive by your house with the package in the truck and never deliver it, and their local shipping office is an absolutely miserable experience.
And down here, UPS is awesome, but FEDEX is total garbage that loves to keep my packages for up to a month before delivering them. It's all a massive crapshoot.

I've been selling things online for almost 20 years and I picked up some habits from that as well. Flat rate was a godsend for me for 10 years, and can be annoying but it works in a pinch and it's usually way easier and faster to deal with for everyone involved. I like to give people options since other shipping services can be better for folks. :)

Now if only I could convince those sellers on eBay to use flat rate boxes instead of sticking 10 pounds of CDs in a box and using the built in calculator that gives me a $60 ship quote...

Anyone possibly have 2 7-11” Tablets. Age does not matter. Just something that can play Netflix and YouTube videos.

Now if only I could convince those sellers on eBay to use flat rate boxes instead of sticking 10 pounds of CDs in a box and using the built in calculator that gives me a $60 ship quote...

Some people just never learn how to properly ship things..

I had a late customer (who unfortunately passed several years ago) return a system I built for them because the GPU and motherboard died. Instead of shipping it back in the original foam filled case box, they found an old full sized refrigerator box, cut it in half vertically and filled it with newspaper and bubblewrap and put the system in the middle of it. He had it freight shipped, which cost him over $400. Imagine my surprise when a UPS truck unloads this massive box using a pallet jack in my driveway. I had no idea what it was until I dug into the box, and then I was just sad. Poor guy paid so much due to comically terrible judgement.

Still remember that conversation on the phone I had with the guy, he was flummoxed how it "only" cost $110 to ship it to him. I told him as gently as possible that he used the wrong box for shipping. He told me to keep the system and sent another pile of parts to build another system to ship back to him. That second system lasted until he passed. A few years later, he literally dropped dead in the parking lot walking out of a doctors appointment from a massive heart attack. RIP guy.

In case you didn't know about it, you can probably opencore legacy patcher that thing up to a current release. Upset I missed seeing the post and you got it :)

Think you missed the part where it's a 2007 Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo at 1.83 GHz. It's already maxed out on memory at 3 GB, and the best CPU it will take is a 2.33 GHz T7600. You aren't running anything modern Mac OS on it, no matter what you do.

It's one of the models with the bugged 32 bit UEFI, so getting any 64 bit OS on it besides Mac OS will test the patience of a saint. I currently have a 32 bit Linux on it because I gave up after days of making custom installation media.

He's the same guy that took the iMac I listed on here awhile back and was able to use black magic to get it doing what he wanted, so it'll be in good hands.

Think you missed the part where it's a 2007 Mac Mini with a Core 2 Duo at 1.83 GHz. It's already maxed out on memory at 3 GB, and the best CPU it will take is a 2.33 GHz T7600. You aren't running anything modern Mac OS on it, no matter what you do.

It's one of the models with the bugged 32 bit UEFI, so getting any 64 bit OS on it besides Mac OS will test the patience of a saint. I currently have a 32 bit Linux on it because I gave up after days of making custom installation media.

He's the same guy that took the iMac I listed on here awhile back and was able to use black magic to get it doing what he wanted, so it'll be in good hands.

It's kinda weird. From a purely specs perspective the iMac and this Mac Mini are 1 step removed from the garbage pile, but... there is something extremely cool to me about making them fully functional with modern (even if not-Mac OS) software that is magical to me. Also, I must admit... Apple has really nailed form factors with their hardware, and these older machines with socketable chips are particularly fun to tinker with.

It's kinda weird. From a purely specs perspective the iMac and this Mac Mini are 1 step removed from the garbage pile, but... there is something extremely cool to me about making them fully functional with modern (even if not-Mac OS) software that is magical to me. Also, I must admit... Apple has really nailed form factors with their hardware, and these older machines with socketable chips are particularly fun to tinker with.

I have that passion with older Apple hardware, but anything G5 and beyond is just terrible to work with in my opinion. My G5 logic board died from looking at it in a way which didn't please it, and the $60 I spent recapping the PSU was a waste.

I recently restored two Quadra 605s, well the hardware bits anyway. The cases were smashed by the postal monkeys. Luckily I have an LC III that the logic boards slot into, and was able to play with them and even get them on the internet.

I have that passion with older Apple hardware, but anything G5 and beyond is just terrible to work with in my opinion. My G5 logic board died from looking at it in a way which didn't please it, and the $60 I spent recapping the PSU was a waste.

I recently restored two Quadra 605s, well the hardware bits anyway. The cases were smashed by the postal monkeys. Luckily I have an LC III that the logic boards slot into, and was able to play with them and even get them on the internet.

Older Apple stuff is VERY fun. I have a fully functional Apple //c and and an Apple IIgs system, with color monitors for each. It's a real shame the IIgs was deliberately handicapped in favor of the Mac, though. It is a spectacular machine. I also have a 64K CoCo with extended basic, expansion box, the Hitachi 6809 clone CPU, and CoCoSDC card and a 16K CoCo 2 w/extended basic as well.

Yeah I read it as 2009 with the strike through, eyes aren't young anymore...

Anyone have any LGA1150 board and stock Intel Cooler? Barebones is fine.

Have an old i5-4570 chip and want to build it with my daughter.
One of the cheapest ways to go would be to get a Dell 7020 barebone and use that--you get some challenges that way too and can save:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184057694289

The funny thing is for $10 more, you can actually get one with a 4570 already installed and 8GB of ram included:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234764538127

I have a 3020 SFF that I upgraded with a 4790K that runs at the base+turbo clocks (4Ghz+) no problem. It does require the better factory cooling hsf and shroud but I think those ran me like $10.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
One of the cheapest ways to go would be to get a Dell 7020 barebone and use that--you get some challenges that way too and can save:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/184057694289

The funny thing is for $10 more, you can actually get one with a 4570 already installed and 8GB of ram included:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234764538127

I have a 3020 SFF that I upgraded with a 4790K that runs at the base+turbo clocks (4Ghz+) no problem. It does require the better factory cooling hsf and shroud but I think those ran me like $10.
Didn't even realize those barebones were that cheap.

I have my old 1055T build but had a spare 4570s sitting around. Might actually go that route of picking up a barebones and building that. Although I did tell her we can grab a pink/RGB case :LOL:

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

I have my old 1055T build but had a spare 4570s sitting around. Might actually go that route of picking up a barebones and building that. Although I did tell her we can grab a pink/RGB case :LOL:
I didn't either, and they work well. I got a 1x slot sff gpu cheap from dbwillis and it's a solid machine for the usual work, videos, etc.

As far as the pink: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Spray-Paint/Candy-Pink/N-5yc1vZapz5Z1z0u9xw :D I think it would look good if you left the gray or black for a 2-toned look. :)

Biggest issue is the half height cards, and some of the SFF have a poor x16 slot location limiting you to single slot cards. Just thought I'd mention that. But yeah, they're great pfsense boxes.

Biggest issue is the half height cards, and some of the SFF have a poor x16 slot location limiting you to single slot cards. Just thought I'd mention that. But yeah, they're great pfsense boxes.
Oh true.

I'm throwing my old RX480 in there, so need to check the clearance.

Attachments

• PXL_20230605_191042846.jpg
    PXL_20230605_191042846.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 1
  • PXL_20230605_191203850.jpg
    PXL_20230605_191203850.jpg
    570.8 KB · Views: 1
Yep, that x16 slot location usually sucks so you're stuck with no power connector 1x slot gpus. Not an issue if you just want to get a quadro for extra speed, but a real problem if you want to make a gaming machine out of it.

Yep, that x16 slot location usually sucks so you're stuck with no power connector 1x slot gpus. Not an issue if you just want to get a quadro for extra speed, but a real problem if you want to make a gaming machine out of it.
Yeah I realized SFF and small form factors are a problem with wanting to use my own GPU/PSU.

I'll go through ebay and check out what regular 1150 boards go for (I'm just always iffy getting parts on ebay). Or just build out my 1055T with the kids.

Not true. Have a MT OptiPlex 7040 that is running an 6700K + 1660 Super.
Just get a Dell 315W SFF PSU (cheap - paid ~$13 shipped IIRC), drill an extra mounting hole at the back, and there you go.

There's a YouTube video of someone doing the same, but he is an absolute retard who ended up mounting the PSU at a weird angle
Mine sits flush with the back, and looks factory

Not true. Have a MT OptiPlex 7040 that is running an 6700K + 1660 Super.
Just get a Dell 315W SFF PSU (cheap - paid ~$13 shipped IIRC), drill an extra mounting hole at the back, and there you go.

There's a YouTube video of someone doing the same, but he is an absolute retard who ended up mounting the PSU at a weird angle
Mine sits flush with the back, and looks factory
Sorry, meant this for the SFF models. The desktop ones like the 3050 posted above are super easy to put in a regular gpu and even power supply.

Sorry, meant this for the SFF models. The desktop ones like the 3050 posted above are super easy to put in a regular gpu and even power supply.
No worries, but Dell non-SFF / desktops / "MT" models have not been able to take standard ATX PSUs for awhile now (Series 5 starting with x040+)
Those good times ended with the OptiPlex x020 :(

The modern x040+ models can be (very slightly) modded to take OptiPlex SFF PSUs (like the 315W mentioned)

No worries, but Dell non-SFF / desktops / "MT" models have not been able to take standard ATX PSUs for awhile now (Series 5 starting with x040+)
Those good times ended with the OptiPlex x020 :(

The modern x040+ models can be (very slightly) modded to take OptiPlex SFF PSUs (like the 315W mentioned)
Interesting. I thought it was just the motherboard connector that was different, not the actual psu size.

Interesting. I thought it was just the motherboard connector that was different, not the actual psu size.
it varies. some i have are normal atx size but use dells 12v plug or whatever they are. some are short and stubby but have the same dimensions for the atx exhaust cutout, others have been stretched and skinnied. dell does some wierdass psus.

it varies. some i have are normal atx size but use dells 12v plug or whatever they are. some are short and stubby but have the same dimensions for the atx exhaust cutout, others have been stretched and skinnied. dell does some wierdass psus.
Wow, so much variety! I'll keep this in mind if I build anything newer using them as a starting point. :)

I did a bit more cleaning / sorting here and have a couple sticks of memory that I'm looking to get rid of for the price of shipping. I'd think $10 for both should cover shipping. If there's no interest in about a week I'll be getting rid of them.

Dell 4GB PC3 12800 SDRAM SNP531R8C / 4G

I have 2 of these 4GB sticks. They are brand new still sealed in their packaging.

View attachment 572624

There has been no interest in this memory. Unless klippel is interested, I'll be tossing them this evening.

CLAIMED: Optiplex 790 motherboard, i5 2400 cpu and fan. Includes I/O shield, front panel connectors, pc speaker, chasis intrusion detectors, 80mm case fan. All works fine, just needed the case for something else. Cost of shipping from 28025.

Attachments

• 20230614_094134.jpg
    20230614_094134.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back