The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I got this back just today from a friend. He said he never did use it. I do not have the energy or desire to test it. I did test it before I gave it to him. Be warned these could all be DOA.

You pay cost of shipping + PP fees.

I think it consisted of AMD Phenom II x4 840, 2x2gb corsair ddr3. I can toss in the Visiontek ddr3 kit.

Last edited:
I got this back just today from a friend. He said he never did use it. I do not have the energy or desire to test it. I did test it before I gave it to him. Be warned these could all be DOA.

You pay cost of shipping + PP fees.

I think it consisted of AMD Phenom II x4 840, 2x2gb corsair ddr3. I can toss in the Visiontek ddr3 kit.

PM sent

Have qty 5 4U server gpu mining cases for free pickup around Phoenix.

Gone

Attachments

• 1ae7d32d73fbc3a583cd60105dfc170a--rigs.jpg
    1ae7d32d73fbc3a583cd60105dfc170a--rigs.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
TeleFragger's Freebie list...
using this as a place holder as I will get pics and pn soon

72gb 2.5gb hs hp drives

emc drives with trays

10gb network cables, nics and infiniband switches.

I am using 5 of them in esxi 6.7 and windows 10..
works great...

Details on the 10G stuff? I probably can't make it work with my network, but I'd like to come up with a convoluted plan ;)

No one has taken me up on the offer to take this locally, so I am opening it up to anyone who wants to pay for the cost of shipping. Just be aware that the only place I have time to visit during my lunch hour is Fedex, and the last time I shipped a component (a gpu, that time) it was around $50. The packaging and shipping for this bundle could be similar, or more, since I haven't shipped from there in well over a year, so keep that in mind if you decide you would like it. Thank you.

Could anyone in the Houston area use an X58 system? I purchased this on the forums last year, from Kamikaze, and it has been the heart of a two-gpu mining setup. Since I have dismantled the setup, I no longer have a need for it. I am not certain if I still have the owner's manual, but I did add another 12Gb of ram that I had lying around and a low profile cooler. I only ran it at stock, so I have no idea of its overclocking potential, but it was stable and the mismatched memory didn't seem to cause any issues. This post is for the cpu, motherboard, memory and cooler. I am keeping the case and power supply for a future build. Thank you for looking.

Have qty 5 4U server gpu mining cases for free pickup around Phoenix. They're "Gray Matter" brand, really nice (and expensive) cases actually. Qty 3 are 7gpu, 2 are 6 gpu models. Trying to save these from the scrap yard.

Located far west valley. Can meet/deliver these (within reason) around the valley, for gas money + money for a pizza. Otherwise pickup local to the far west Phoenix valley.

Stock photo, but basically identical to this:

View attachment 514064
PM sent.

Have qty 5 4U server gpu mining cases for free pickup around Phoenix. They're "Gray Matter" brand, really nice (and expensive) cases actually. Qty 3 are 7gpu, 2 are 6 gpu models. Trying to save these from the scrap yard.

Located far west valley. Can meet/deliver these (within reason) around the valley, for gas money + money for a pizza. Otherwise pickup local to the far west Phoenix valley.

Stock photo, but basically identical to this:

View attachment 514064
Is this the unit?
https://www.avadirect.com/6-GPU-Gray-Matter-GPU-Server-Case-V3-1/Product/11404847

anyone have a decent universal type passive northbridge heatsink? Something copper preferably. Companies like zalman and enzotech made them but they are hard to find now. I have a capture card that has a loud fan/heatsink that I would like to replace without fear of killing the card (the amazon options don't look sufficient). Hole spacing 59-60mm. If you have one that's worth more than free, still shoot me a PM maybe we can work something out.

anyone have a decent universal type passive northbridge heatsink? Something copper preferably. Companies like zalman and enzotech made them but they are hard to find now. I have a capture card that has a loud fan/heatsink that I would like to replace without fear of killing the card (the amazon options don't look sufficient). Hole spacing 59-60mm. If you have one that's worth more than free, still shoot me a PM maybe we can work something out.
My heatsink collection is legendary. How tall and does it need a fan?

Gone to narsbars

Canon SD450 camera. Tested to turn on, nothing else. Includes camera, bag, 3 batteries and charger + 2gb SanDisk SD card (not pictured). No guarantees on the batteries. Be warned, this item could arrive as a nice paperweight!

$10 shipped

Send Paypal email for an invoice. Thanks!

Last edited:
Canon SD450 camera. Tested to turn on, nothing else. Includes camera, bag, 3 batteries and charger + 2gb SanDisk SD card (not pictured). No guarantees on the batteries. Be warned, this item could arrive as a nice paperweight!
These are perfect for CHDK firmware hack and is super ez to implement. (CHDK applies DSLR quality settings and more to these canon cameras)

I think it was an SD450 series camera that I shot one of my best nightlife shots where the guy I was working with was walking around with $3k of gear and couldn't get a better shot. It was a shot of a drummer looking right at the camera from behind his high-hat and spinning a stick. There was just enough manual control with this camera to extend the shutter and suppress the flash on a wide open iris to get the shot. My buddy and I were having a shoot off with his cameras and he handed me the elph and said, 'see if you can beat me without your normal camera (my Sony dsc-f828)'. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: He lost. :D Too bad I never got a copy of that shot--it wasn't the cleanest or anything, but I was proud of what I was able to do with the elph. :)

Oh, some good info on the camera from dpreview back in the day:
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/5795288980/canonsd450sd550

Anyone have a plastic locking clip from a pcie x16 slot? Mine broke into 3 pieces so while not mission critical I'd like to get it replaced. I think they are fairly universal if it's the kind you have to push downward to release the card

Anyone have a plastic locking clip from a pcie x16 slot? Mine broke into 3 pieces so while not mission critical I'd like to get it replaced. I think they are fairly universal if it's the kind you have to push downward to release the card
I purposely brake all of mine off after they get in the way of me rapidly hotswaping pcie devices

I purposely brake all of mine off after they get in the way of me rapidly hotswaping pcie devices
Ditto, the first time I put in a card and couldn't get it back out because of the placement of the release I was done with these forever and disable them on all my motherboards. Insanely stupid 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist except when the card is so heavy it needs a backplate anyways.

PCIe slot retention clips are not universal, there are several different styles that all aren't compatible with each other. You'd need to post a picture of yours to know what you need.

Insanely stupid 'solution' to a problem that doesn't exist except when the card is so heavy it needs a backplate anyways.

The retention clips are a solution to a very real problem that has plagued add-in cards since the original XT bus: thermal creep. It got worse with VLB due to having multiple slots per card. PCI-X slots also had thermal creep issues due to the slot being so long.

Hot and cold cycles will eventually work the card out of the slot far enough that it stops working. The retention clip prevents that. It also helps keep heavy graphics cards from pulling out of the slot over time.

I do agree that some retention clip designs are hot garbage, like the ones that place the removal lever under the damn card you want to remove, or have a tiny surface area so you can barely grab them.

The retention clips are a solution to a very real problem that has plagued add-in cards since the original XT bus: thermal creep. It got worse with VLB due to having multiple slots per card. PCI-X slots also had thermal creep issues due to the slot being so long.

Hot and cold cycles will eventually work the card out of the slot far enough that it stops working. The retention clip prevents that. It also helps keep heavy graphics cards from pulling out of the slot over time.

I do agree that some retention clip designs are hot garbage, like the ones that place the removal lever under the damn card you want to remove, or have a tiny surface area so you can barely grab them.
Interesting to know. (y) Still seems to be a solution to a problem that really wasn't there as this is the first time I've heard of this after living through the original 8 and 16-bit XT/AT busses, EISA, MCA, the 32-bit VLB extension, PCI, and PCIe. Crazy that I never ran into this once in over 30 years. :eek:

Yes, it was that 'clip that is under the card' design that was the issue for me. Was nearly impossible to get under there! :banghead:

Are they not required? The PCI-E slot has a death grip on my EVGA RTX 3070. Can't seem to push it downward enough to get my GPU out so I popped the clip out a few days back. Thankfully mine didn't break and I popped it back in. I've had this board for around 6 years now but my EVGA 1070 and 2070 came out easily. Not sure why the clip is so hard to push down now.

Are they not required? The PCI-E slot has a death grip on my EVGA RTX 3070. Can't seem to push it downward enough to get my GPU out so I popped the clip out a few days back. Thankfully mine didn't break and I popped it back in. I've had this board for around 6 years now but my EVGA 1070 and 2070 came out easily. Not sure why the clip is so hard to push down now.
They do nothing. The pcie slot is the same slot it always was. Not sure why the clip is being a pain but the slot should have a firm seated grip on the carf and should come out easy enough.

They do nothing. The pcie slot is the same slot it always was. Not sure why the clip is being a pain but the slot should have a firm seated grip on the carf and should come out easy enough.

Thanks. Not sure why, 3070 seems to be a lot more tight. At least if I break the clip I don't have to worry much.

Hate those under-the-card clips but I've learned not to deal with them with my fingers. A lot of times space is tight just getting to that stubborn clip, much less trying to manipulate it. Shoving something tall and thin in there (like a dowel, new pencil, edge of a ruler, etc.) to depress the clip and release the card has worked a lot better for me. Still a pain, though, and it only seems to have gotten worse as card massiveness has increased.

Like SamirD, I've never experienced the issue with cards working themselves out of their slot via thermal cycling but I appreciate the explanation nonetheless. I guess I can sleep easier at night knowing that the retention clip was put there for a reason, even if it doesn't seem to do much in the overall scheme of things and is generally an aggravation. :)

Back