The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Anybody got an old charging cable for either one of these old phones? One's a Nokia 3650 and the other is a digital Motorola Startac.
Found the Startac charger on Sunday afternoon, but given the age, the plastic/rubber that insulates the wire has cracked or come off a bit. Don't have a picture now.

Horde purge time again. Whatever you want, you pay shipping. Whatever not claimed goes off to recycling.

Motherboards:

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE - Comes with 3 GHz Pentium 4 530 and 2 x 2 GB DDR2-5300. The shroud around the CPU is missing (no idea what happened to it, was missing when I got it) and no rear I/O plate.
Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS - Comes with the original box, manuals and driver disc. Also comes with an Athlon XP 1700+ and whatever memory I get out of my memory drawers.

Might add a couple more motherboards later, need to dig the original boxes for them out of the horde. The listed boards were put away working, but I'll power them up before shipping to make sure they still work.

CPUs:

Xeon W3505
Xeon 2000DP SL6RQ (bent pins)
Celeron M 530 SLA2G
Celeron 900 SLGLQ (2)
Core 2 Duo P7350 SLGF6
Core Duo T2300 SL8VR
Pentium B960 SR07V

Computers:
Optiplex 755 Midtower - E8300, 4 GB RAM, no HDD, no PSU
Whitebox PC - PCChips S478 motherboard, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, unknown RAM, no HDD, unknown PSU.
AMD 50x15 Internet PIC - "Jailbroken" by myself with an unlocked BIOS to allow installation of other OSes besides Windows CE. Comes with the original 10 GB HDD and 256 MB of RAM (upgradable to 512 M) No power brick included, needs 12v 2.5a

Misc:

Verizon Jetpack MiFi 5510L - Powers up and battery holds a charge, no other testing done
ATGames Sega Genesis - One of those Genesis clone consoles. Just the unit by itself with one wireless controller, power adapter and AV cables. Has I think 40 built in games, and the ability to play cartridge games.
That Dell Optiplex is heavy AF. i had one but was able to upgrade the chip to an X3320 if i remember right.

That Dell Optiplex is heavy AF. i had one but was able to upgrade the chip to an X3320 if i remember right.

Yeah, there are a number of upgrades available for it, but said upgrades don't have anywhere near the performance increase they used to have. All of the spectre/meltdown patches has severely crippled the Core 2 arch when running modern operating systems. I had another 755 that I put a Q9550 in, and in Windows 10 it was painful even with an SSD.

The Linux kernel has all of the same patches, but there is an option to turn them off. You can see a night and day performance difference, but it's not exactly safe to run the system like that.

Yep, they're built well and will last a long time. They can take any lga775 processor including the lga775 xeons. (y) Pair it with a small no power connector gpu that doesn't interfere with the btx cooling design and it's a nice little box that's still usable today.

Yeah, there are a number of upgrades available for it, but said upgrades don't have anywhere near the performance increase they used to have. All of the spectre/meltdown patches has severely crippled the Core 2 arch when running modern operating systems. I had another 755 that I put a Q9550 in, and in Windows 10 it was painful even with an SSD.

The Linux kernel has all of the same patches, but there is an option to turn them off. You can see a night and day performance difference, but it's not exactly safe to run the system like that.
It's safe to run it--just keep it off the Internet. So nas or other server, nvr, etc.

WD easystore external enclosure only (no drive). Free pay shipping

Edit: Claimed

Last edited:
And I hate to say this, I'm still not at that site, so another two weeks I should be there and should be able to drop what I'm doing and go check the second you tag me. (y)
Another reminder about the Startac charger & batteries and Nokia batteries.

Can you take a couple of pics?
My mistake, I just tried it, it was a Motorola charger, but not for Startac :( I looked it up and turned out it was a charger for the Motorola Nextel i1000; was wondering why it didn't fit in my Startac. I will have to search the house again next time when I am back.

still have:

2x kits of Mac OS X Server install media
. Version 10.5.4, and the label on them states they each have a "10 client" license.

gone:

1x Plugable USB bluetooth 4.0 adapter - uses Broadcom BCM20702 chipset

3x 4GB Hynix DDR4-2133 registered ECC DIMMs - these did work when pulled, but I have nowhere I can use them

2x Samsung/Seagate ST2000LM003 2.5" laptop drives - I had these for sale but during a check discovered they were showing a handful of errors. As such I'm not comfortable selling them to anyone, but I'll happily give them away. You take both please.

1st drive: 4558 hours online, 360 power cycles, no reallocated sectors, no seek errors, 1 read error
2nd drive: 13706 hours online, 631 power cycles, no reallocated sectors, no seek errors, 3 read errors

They ought to work just fine as a RAID1 or something. I don't have any systems that can fit them anymore otherwise I'd just use them as local backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might be a longshot but does anyone have 2 noctua fan clips for a full sized 120mm fan? I'm trying to use a full sized fan on my nh-l12s.

Anyone have any LGA1155 boards kicking around with damaged sockets? I bought a couple of sockets from aliexpress to experiment with one such board, but it ended in failure, and wanted to give it another go.

that is a pretty dicey operation, you have a preheat oven and air?
Not really that dicey.

I have all of the equipment, but the socket on the board refused to budge. Even with the board preheated to 200C and hot air on both sides of the board, the socket melted and the BGA joints weren't having any of it. I could remove and replace the PCH all day long on that board, but the socket BGA joints on the socket were made of some ridiculously hot melting alloy.

Not really that dicey.

I have all of the equipment, but the socket on the board refused to budge. Even with the board preheated to 200C and hot air on both sides of the board, the socket melted and the BGA joints weren't having any of it. I could remove and replace the PCH all day long on that board, but the socket BGA joints on the socket were made of some ridiculously hot melting alloy.
Thanks RoHS

Thanks RoHS
Yeah, I have no idea wtf it was. I ended up carving the socket off the board in pieces because there was no saving it. My 80W iron cranked up to max would just barely smear it around even drowning in flux. My 150W matchless iron meant for making stain glass windows that gets to 1200F would just melt it. I have no idea how they even got the socket on the board at the factory, maybe spot weld it?

The replacement sockets I have are preballed with 63/37 and melt like butter on hot bread.

High amount of Silver and maybe some Cadmium in that socket solder maybe. Makes you wonder how hot in actual use some of that area gets?

I got a ps2 slim, a couple controllers, memory cards, component adapter, and I think about 26 games. Been sitting in a box for a few years now. if you or anyone else is interested send me a pm
I’ll take it.

Glad somebody took it. If I would've snagged it for my my son, he would play with it for a day or 2 and just have it collect dust like all the other crap I got for him (PS4, Nintendo switch, laptop) :rolleyes:

If you ever want to part with the N64 and/or switch in this thread I'll take them!

OK I need a small item
I am re-casing the "Blue Dinosaur" (as my Sister called it) I got a CoolerMaster N400 (I think) I have no compatible standoffs and I don't need a whole kit for $10 eBay or Amazon. The case end MUST be M3 thread my 6-32 standoffs from the Blue Dinosaur" don't thread in and I did not force it as it will damage the tapped holes.
The motherboard end can be either M3 or 6-32 does not matter I have a boat load of both types.
I need 6 but a full kit of 9 would be nice.
Thank You

OK I need a small item
I am re-casing the "Blue Dinosaur" (as my Sister called it) I got a CoolerMaster N400 (I think) I have no compatible standoffs and I don't need a whole kit for $10 eBay or Amazon. The case end MUST be M3 thread my 6-32 standoffs from the Blue Dinosaur" don't thread in and I did not force it as it will damage the tapped holes.
The motherboard end can be either M3 or 6-32 does not matter I have a boat load of both types.
I need 6 but a full kit of 9 would be nice.
Thank You

Yeah... you're going to need to be a bit more specific.

You see, when case manufacturers standardized on thread type, they didn't bother standardizing standoff length. Unless you know what the length is for that case, you're going to be going to have to buy one of those kits of assorted lengths and figure it out. If the case manufacturer was really scummy, they could have used a length that's not standard, and you have to end up cutting your own.

I've been collecting case standoffs for 20+ years and the bin with them is a bouillabaisse of different lengths from stubby to half an inch with all matters of different thread arrangements. I don't think I could make a single set for one motherboard of a specific length. If you go too tall, the board won't line up with the I/O plate and cards won't seat all the way, leaving a gap on the rear slot cutouts. If you go too short, you have the same problem, but cards won't go all the way in the slots. You'll also have the additional risk of the board bottoming out and shorting out on the case.

If you don't want to buy an assorted standoff kit, might try contacting Cooler Master and seeing if they can get you a kit.

I have a Battlefield 1 Origin key that I got free from my Amazon Prime subscription. Free to whoever wants it. Fun game, I already own it though.

Edit: Claimed

Last edited:
Did you find anything?
No, I had just gotten into town and discovered no AC and then almost died of heat exhaustion over the next few days until I left. I'm headed back there in a week (AC is hopefully going to be working this time) and I'll check then as the pile is right beside my bed--I just have to remember before passing out from a day of work so ping me on the 15th if you can please.

A streatch;
Does anyone have an aftermarket cruise control kit lying around they want to give away for free or allot cheaper than online?> ;)

lol, Ive actually thought about something 'like that' (eg locking throttle in a position) but I talked myself out of it. ;)
Oh please don't do this! I meant is as a joke. :eek:

A quick fun story. The 1995 Altima uses two different throttle cables, one for the throttle and a second one for the cruise control. Over time, the throttle cable can end up with some slack so you can loosen it from its mount and retighten it to get rid of the slack. The mounting doesn't require any heavy torque so when I put it back, I didn't crank down on it hard or anything.

A few days later I'm driving on I-40 somewhere in Arizona or something like that and suddenly my gas pedal is just freely moving, not effective anymore at being the gas pedal. Great, I'm thinking--broken throttle cable. I'm slowing down from highway speeds and suddenly remember the cruise control also has a cable. I quickly enable the cruise control and can maintain my speed using it. A rest area comes up in a mile and pull in. I check under the hood and the cable didn't break--the assembly came out of the mount so it was moving instead of applying force to the throttle body. :ROFLMAO: I pull a wrench out of my toolbox in the trunk and in 5 minutes fix it and am on my way. :)

Oh please don't do this! I meant is as a joke. :eek:

A quick fun story. The 1995 Altima uses two different throttle cables, one for the throttle and a second one for the cruise control. Over time, the throttle cable can end up with some slack so you can loosen it from its mount and retighten it to get rid of the slack. The mounting doesn't require any heavy torque so when I put it back, I didn't crank down on it hard or anything.

A few days later I'm driving on I-40 somewhere in Arizona or something like that and suddenly my gas pedal is just freely moving, not effective anymore at being the gas pedal. Great, I'm thinking--broken throttle cable. I'm slowing down from highway speeds and suddenly remember the cruise control also has a cable. I quickly enable the cruise control and can maintain my speed using it. A rest area comes up in a mile and pull in. I check under the hood and the cable didn't break--the assembly came out of the mount so it was moving instead of applying force to the throttle body. :ROFLMAO: I pull a wrench out of my toolbox in the trunk and in 5 minutes fix it and am on my way. :)
lol, glad it was not catastrophic :p

No, I had just gotten into town and discovered no AC and then almost died of heat exhaustion over the next few days until I left. I'm headed back there in a week (AC is hopefully going to be working this time) and I'll check then as the pile is right beside my bed--I just have to remember before passing out from a day of work so ping me on the 15th if you can please.
Bump

Thank you! I glanced at the pile, but didn't see anything that stood out. I will have to look at it again later this week as I arrived here and the water had been turned off by the city because of a supposed leak, so I've been dealing with that versus the work I came here for. :( Ping me Friday if you haven't heard from me by then. (y)

Odd request, anyone have a wifi antenna for laptops? I don't need any particular one but I need to test an adapter vs what's built in so I can see if it's a bad card or antenna.
1629131745029.png
1629131767269.png

Yeah... you're going to need to be a bit more specific.

You see, when case manufacturers standardized on thread type, they didn't bother standardizing standoff length. Unless you know what the length is for that case, you're going to be going to have to buy one of those kits of assorted lengths and figure it out. If the case manufacturer was really scummy, they could have used a length that's not standard, and you have to end up cutting your own.

I've been collecting case standoffs for 20+ years and the bin with them is a bouillabaisse of different lengths from stubby to half an inch with all matters of different thread arrangements. I don't think I could make a single set for one motherboard of a specific length. If you go too tall, the board won't line up with the I/O plate and cards won't seat all the way, leaving a gap on the rear slot cutouts. If you go too short, you have the same problem, but cards won't go all the way in the slots. You'll also have the additional risk of the board bottoming out and shorting out on the case.

If you don't want to buy an assorted standoff kit, might try contacting Cooler Master and seeing if they can get you a kit.

I'm probably going to get an assorted kit as I have been trying to call and contact Cooler Master for the last 3 weeks or so! Calls go to voice mail and they want me to sign up for some BS CMZone or what ever but I did and it says Password or Login invalid so I give up!

A streatch;
Does anyone have an aftermarket cruise control kit lying around they want to give away for free or allot cheaper than online?> ;)

Cruise control is over rated as I had it once when I lived in the town of Sprindfield while I was the greatest guy in History who hit a Chestnut tree Ahhh smash!

A few days later I'm driving on I-40 somewhere in Arizona or something like that and suddenly my gas pedal is just freely moving, not effective anymore at being the gas pedal. Great, I'm thinking--broken throttle cable. I'm slowing down from highway speeds and suddenly remember the cruise control also has a cable. I quickly enable the cruise control and can maintain my speed using it. A rest area comes up in a mile and pull in. I check under the hood and the cable didn't break--the assembly came out of the mount so it was moving instead of applying force to the throttle body. :ROFLMAO: I pull a wrench out of my toolbox in the trunk and in 5 minutes fix it and am on my way.

I remember when my Mom was still around She had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited well she had to get a coolant flush she was amazed that the guy was able to "step" on the gas from under the hood I told her he is just pulling the cable the same cable that the gas pedal pulls when you step on it. I don't know how they can do this now with modern cars as there is no throttle cable as it uses electronic controls AKA drive-by-wire

Back