The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Here's the reminder about the Startac charger and the startac and nokia batteries. Thanks!
Thank you! Nothing has gone as planned, so hit me again in another 2 weeks as I should be at that site by then. :)

Horde purge time again. Whatever you want, you pay shipping. Whatever not claimed goes off to recycling.

Motherboards:

Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS - Comes with the original box, manuals and driver disc. Also comes with an Athlon XP 1700+ and whatever memory I get out of my memory drawers.

Might add a couple more motherboards later, need to dig the original boxes for them out of the horde. The listed boards were put away working, but I'll power them up before shipping to make sure they still work.

CPUs:

Xeon 2000DP SL6RQ (bent pins)
Celeron M 530 SLA2G
Celeron 900 SLGLQ (2)
Core 2 Duo P7350 SLGF6
Core Duo T2300 SL8VR
Pentium B960 SR07V

Computers:
Optiplex 755 Midtower - E8300, 4 GB RAM, no HDD, no PSU

Misc:

Verizon Jetpack MiFi 5510L - Powers up and battery holds a charge, no other testing done
ATGames Sega Genesis - One of those Genesis clone consoles. Just the unit by itself with one wireless controller, power adapter and AV cables. Has I think 40 built in games, and the ability to play cartridge games.

Last edited:
Horde purge time again. Whatever you want, you pay shipping. Whatever not claimed goes off to recycling.

Motherboards:

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE - Comes with 3 GHz Pentium 4 530 and 2 x 2 GB DDR2-5300. The shroud around the CPU is missing (no idea what happened to it, was missing when I got it) and no rear I/O plate.
Mingzhi G31 MicroATX LGA775 - One of those cheap Chinese clone boards. I'll throw in some random Core 2 CPU and 3 GB of RAM. I warn you in advance the BIOS is VERY buggy and SpeedStep is broken, so any CPU installed will always run full tilt.
Foxconn A79A-S - Comes with a Phenom II X4 940 and whatever RAM I can grab out of my memory drawers.
Gigabyte GA-7VKMLS - Comes with the original box, manuals and driver disc. Also comes with an Athlon XP 1700+ and whatever memory I get out of my memory drawers.

Might add a couple more motherboards later, need to dig the original boxes for them out of the horde. The listed boards were put away working, but I'll power them up before shipping to make sure they still work.

CPUs:

Xeon W3505
Xeon E5503 (2)
Celeron M 530 SLA2G
Celeron 900 SLGLQ (2)
Core 2 Duo P7350 SLGF6
Core Duo T2300 SL8VR
Pentium B960 SR07V

Computers:
Whitebox PC - PCChips S478 motherboard, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, unknown RAM, no HDD, unknown PSU.
AMD 50x15 Internet PIC - "Jailbroken" by myself with an unlocked BIOS to allow installation of other OSes besides Windows CE. Comes with the original 10 GB HDD and 256 MB of RAM (upgradable to 512 M) No power brick included, needs 12v 2.5a

Misc:

Verizon Jetpack MiFi 5510L - Powers up and battery holds a charge, no other testing done
ATGames Sega Genesis - One of those Genesis clone consoles. Just the unit by itself with one wireless controller, power adapter and AV cables. Has I think 40 built in games, and the ability to play cartridge games.
YHPM

Garage Discovery (shipping cost only)

Xeon Processors:
  • 2x Xeon E5540 SLBF6 [shipped to wr18th]
  • 1x Xeon E5504 SLBF9
    • I have no means to test them and assume they work fine.

Antec TP-550 Modular cables (possible leftovers; don't have this PSU to test):
  • 2x Molex
  • 2x SATA
  • 1x PCI-E (appears to be 8-pin as 6-pin looks to connect to PSU)
2 Pair (4 rails) of 5.25" rails from what looks like an Antec P180 Mini Chassis

Random un-sleeved modular PSU cables (not sure which PSU these are from. I can provide pics upon request.)
  • 2x SATA
  • 1x Molex
Intel i5 6600 LGA1151 stock cooler

Last edited:
Up for grabs. Don't know where I got these from. Just going through my stash and found them. No idea what system they came from. May have come with a bag of ram I got from someone else.. Anyway.. free plus shipping.
3 sticks of rambus

Gone..

Last edited:

Motherboards:

Abit Fatal1ty AA8XE - Comes with 3 GHz Pentium 4 530 and 2 x 2 GB DDR2-5300. The shroud around the CPU is missing (no idea what happened to it, was missing when I got it) and no rear I/O plate.
Mingzhi G31 MicroATX LGA775 - One of those cheap Chinese clone boards. I'll throw in some random Core 2 CPU and 3 GB of RAM. I warn you in advance the BIOS is VERY buggy and SpeedStep is broken, so any CPU installed will always run full tilt.
Foxconn A79A-S - Comes with a Phenom II X4 940 and whatever RAM I can grab out of my memory drawers.

CPUs:

Xeon W3505
Xeon E5503 (2)
Celeron M 530 SLA2G
Celeron 900 SLGLQ (2)
Core 2 Duo P7350 SLGF6
Core Duo T2300 SL8VR
Pentium B960 SR07V

Computers:
Whitebox PC - PCChips S478 motherboard, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, unknown RAM, no HDD, unknown PSU.
AMD 50x15 Internet PIC - "Jailbroken" by myself with an unlocked BIOS to allow installation of other OSes besides Windows CE. Comes with the original 10 GB HDD and 256 MB of RAM (upgradable to 512 M) No power brick included, needs 12v 2.5a

Misc:

If you end up with leftovers, let me know as I'll probably send you another label for them (including the systems if they're still there). (y)

Looking for any sort of video card pci-e or pci is fine. All it will need to do is display a desktop. This will be going in a plex server that does not have integrated video on the mobo I already have.

I've got an old PCI-e card (x1300 IIRC) you can have for shipping. It makes video, no bells and whistles.

Correction: I have
1. Half height Visiontek x1300 PCI with full height bracket
2. Half height ATI 3450 PCI-e w/ half height bracket, DPMS-59 connector with dual DVI adapter dongle
3. Full height Visiontek ATI 4650 PCI-e
4. Full height Nvidia Quadro FX 380 PCI-e

Last edited:
The CPU is untested but I imagine it works hasn’t been used in forever

and this whole motherboard set up as free as well you can see has a bulging cap I pulled it because sometimes it boots and sometimes it doesn’t and his fan is just gross it’s been like partially held on with two screws i’ll pull it apart if somebody’s interested I think it has a x4 CPU

I remember having to shake the case to get it to boot so it could’ve been poor connection like a short

ITEMS PENDING TO USERs!!!!!!!!!!!!6/17/2021 5pm

Attachments

• E8EC392C-8A4B-4B1C-9E5E-E5490C61F386.jpeg
    E8EC392C-8A4B-4B1C-9E5E-E5490C61F386.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 041E5EB0-C3E0-403D-B7FB-F308BAFB46A5.jpeg
    041E5EB0-C3E0-403D-B7FB-F308BAFB46A5.jpeg
    331.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 2908EF99-13CD-47C9-89A3-6AD86AAFD6DD.jpeg
    2908EF99-13CD-47C9-89A3-6AD86AAFD6DD.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

and this whole motherboard set up as free as well you can see has a bulging cap I pulled it because sometimes it boots and sometimes it doesn’t and his fan is just gross it’s been like partially held on with two screws i’ll pull it apart if somebody’s interested I think it has a x4 CPU

I remember having to shake the case to get it to boot so it could’ve been poor connection like a short
looks to be a dual core and there is another bad cap. nice offer though.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...pentium-processor-g620-3m-cache-2-60-ghz.html
1623893647379.png

What are those ddr2 modules? Maybe might even be memory related.

I am still looking for a horizontal PC case- It MUST be ATX, I need to fit a full sized system in it. My original thought was to find an old compaq case from the p1-2 days and mod it. But i just cant get hands on one without spending an arm and a leg.

I am still looking for a horizontal PC case- It MUST be ATX, I need to fit a full sized system in it. My original thought was to find an old compaq case from the p1-2 days and mod it. But i just cant get hands on one without spending an arm and a leg.
I have found quite a few old systems in thrift stores over the years. Red, White & Blue, Family thrift, etc..

if you want to pay shipping I would send you my antec but I don't know what it would cost. I would just drop if off at the UPS store and let them box it up. I bet it would be like 50 bucks.
dont do it. using ups is going to cost u. try packaging it urself then ship it by ups or fedex. knowing how antec cases are, they're heavy.

dont do it. using ups is going to cost u. try packaging it urself then ship it by ups or fedex. knowing how antec cases are, they're heavy.
Yeah, the retail UPS rates in a store are 2x what you pay online, and that's without using one of the codes that knocks it down even further. The codes are right there on the home page. I think the current one is THRIVE.

Anyone by chance have any Intel Q9500, Q9505, Q9550 or Q9650 CPUs laying around?
Looking to upgrade a couple older workstations from E8400 CPUs on Q45 boards for friends/family.
Already have SSDs/RAM to help speed them up so going to Quad Core would help.

Unfortunately, demand for those CPUs has skyrocketed in the past few years, as has the price for them, the Q9550 and Q9650 especially. I remember being able to get a Q9550 4-5 years ago for a fiver, now they're $30-50

This seller has a few Q9500s for $14 a piece:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/174232717417

Another option would be to play the Xeon lottery. Get an LGA771 Xeon like the E5450 or x5460 and use a LGA771 to LGA775 adapter sticker, modify the socket by clipping the detents, or the CPU with a round file, install it and hope it works.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not a bad price for the Q9500 and Q9550 they have listed.
I searched eBay yesterday and must have missed that seller...thanks!

Not a bad price for the Q9500 and Q9550 they have listed.
I searched eBay yesterday and must have missed that seller...thanks!
Also consider the q9400 as it's kinda off the radar and still cheap (still $10 shipped) since it isn't a q95xx, and I can't really tell much difference between my q9400 and q9550. (y)

Unfortunately, demand for those CPUs has skyrocketed in the past few years, as has the price for them, the Q9550 and Q9650 especially. I remember being able to get a Q9550 4-5 years ago for a fiver, now they're $30-50
jesus, really? I guess I should start stocking up on X58 stuff now, the "retro" cycle has gotten really short

jesus, really? I guess I should start stocking up on X58 stuff now, the "retro" cycle has gotten really short

Not so much retro, as people in developing countries snapping them up. The Chinese have started making clone boards for basically every socket, which are really popular in places like Russia, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and Africa because they're stupid cheap.

The Mingzhi G31 LGA775 board I offered above is one such board. I bought it directly from the manufacturer for $16 shipped. It'll literally take any LGA775 CPU from the Pentium 4 up to the Core 2 Quad, and even Xeons if you mod the socket or the CPU to fit. So old parts that have been sitting around for over a decade suddenly have a new purpose, and are going up in price accordingly.

Not so much retro, as people in developing countries snapping them up. The Chinese have started making clone boards for basically every socket, which are really popular in places like Russia, the Indian subcontinent, Southeast Asia and Africa because they're stupid cheap.

The Mingzhi G31 LGA775 board I offered above is one such board. I bought it directly from the manufacturer for $16 shipped. It'll literally take any LGA775 CPU from the Pentium 4 up to the Core 2 Quad, and even Xeons if you mod the socket or the CPU to fit. So old parts that have been sitting around for over a decade suddenly have a new purpose, and are going up in price accordingly.
Too bad those clone boards are just the product of IP theft. It would be nice to see the original manufacturers re-producing their old boards, but without knowing the demand cycle, I don't see that happening until that part is figured out.

Too bad those clone boards are just the product of IP theft. It would be nice to see the original manufacturers re-producing their old boards, but without knowing the demand cycle, I don't see that happening until that part is figured out.

The only thing that's really IP theft on them is the firmware. Most of the clone board designs I've seen aren't based on any retail boards from any known vendors. They're close, but not the same. It's not like the bad old days of ECS/PC Chips/UMC that were cloning retail boards and cutting them down.

I was playing with my SPI programmer on the Mingzhi G31 board and I rigged up a custom BIOS for it from some random similar asrock board.... and it worked. All of the problems I was having with the board are gone, fucking amazing. Probably going to pull this one for offer and build up a machine for someone local that needs a machine.

Most of the clone board designs I've seen aren't based on any retail boards from any known vendors. They're close, but not the same. It's not like the bad old days of ECS/PC Chips/UMC that were cloning retail boards and cutting them down.
Even when close there can be some IP theft, but I wasn't aware that this practice has been going on for a while now. :( Really doesn't make me want to spend any time to develop anything that will help the world since someone will just rip it off...

Even when close there can be some IP theft, but I wasn't aware that this practice has been going on for a while now. :( Really doesn't make me want to spend any time to develop anything that will help the world since someone will just rip it off...

Clones have been around since the beginning of x86, that's basically how the x86 market got started. Companies like Compaq, DEC, Dell and HP cloned the original IBM PC, and then other companies cloned them. Taiwanese clone boards were very popular because they undercut the huge margins that PC vendors back in the day charged and they generally worked fine. It wasn't until the 2000s that the clone market fell out because of declining PC prices, the capacitor plague and the economic recession making it unprofitable.

It has only made a resurgence in recent years because it became profitable again. All they have to do is buy used chipsets pulled off of recycled boards and put them on new boards they manufacture.

Name brand OEMs like Asus, Gigabyte and MSI would never re-release old designs because they can't get new-old chipsets from Intel. The only way they'd get something like a G31 or P45 chipset is finding new-old stock, or going to the recyclers in Shenzhen or Huaquiangbei to get used chips. That's a lot of risk for little return.

Also consider the q9400 as it's kinda off the radar and still cheap (still $10 shipped) since it isn't a q95xx, and I can't really tell much difference between my q9400 and q9550. (y)
Thanks for the tip. Trying to update a couple HP Elite 8000 with E-8400 CPUs to Quads.

Clones have been around since the beginning of x86, that's basically how the x86 market got started. Companies like Compaq, DEC, Dell and HP cloned the original IBM PC, and then other companies cloned them. Taiwanese clone boards were very popular because they undercut the huge margins that PC vendors back in the day charged and they generally worked fine. It wasn't until the 2000s that the clone market fell out because of declining PC prices, the capacitor plague and the economic recession making it unprofitable.

It has only made a resurgence in recent years because it became profitable again. All they have to do is buy used chipsets pulled off of recycled boards and put them on new boards they manufacture.

Name brand OEMs like Asus, Gigabyte and MSI would never re-release old designs because they can't get new-old chipsets from Intel. The only way they'd get something like a G31 or P45 chipset is finding new-old stock, or going to the recyclers in Shenzhen or Huaquiangbei to get used chips. That's a lot of risk for little return.
Thank you for the insights. :) Always great to hear your thoughts on the stuff of yesteryear. :)

Thanks for the tip. Trying to update a couple HP Elite 8000 with E-8400 CPUs to Quads.
You're welcome! It woke up my older gateway sx2803 and when I upgraded to the q9550, I felt it was a waste as it didn't feel that much faster. Luckily I have almost an infinite number of systems that need upgrades so the q9400 found a new home upgrading another system.

One thing to consider if some of those systems just need faster single thread performance is the e8600. These can be found cheap in quantity (like $5/ea) and basically have the performance of an i3-560 without hyperthreading:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-Core2-Duo-E8600-vs-Intel-i3-560/957vs740

It's really woken up some of my systems that were limited to dual core lga775, like some of our point of sale systems, making a noticeable improvement on things like report generation--until those systems were completely upgraded to a state of the art i3-2120 based system that cost $14k. :ROFLMAO:

anyone have an original (2001) Xbox that works that you want to give away?
My step Father moved to Vermont and his won't read the disc (DVD game or CD) anymore I have the cables games and controllers so I only need the actual console.

If not able to be a 'freebie' anyone have one they are selling cheap?

PS: He want the old Xbox as he is not interested in any newer games and the ones he likes are not backwards capable with a Xbox 360 and an Xbox Series X is too much for him I want one also but the damn scalpers are total soul less asshole morons!

Back