The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Does anyone want a E7400 or i3-2100? Let me know and I can pull it from old pcs. If not, they are going to e-waste in a few days.

Anyone got a spare screw for a M.2 drive? Now that I have stimulus money to dump on one, I'd like to be able to keep it secure.

I've got a few CPUs up:

Xeon W3503 LGA 1366
2x Xeon L5520 LGA 1366
Pentium 4 HT 517 LGA 775
Pentium G645T LGA 1155

Looking for larger watercooling radiators, 360-480mm

Anyone got a spare screw for a M.2 drive? Now that I have stimulus money to dump on one, I'd like to be able to keep it secure.
drive might just come with, the last couple i bought did. or use some of your stimmy to buy a pack...

drive might just come with, the last couple i bought did. or use some of your stimmy to buy a pack...
I've seen that the mb package usually supplies the screw. I agree it's not much. But damn, even $5 for stupid miniature screws when you only need 1.

This is a long shot, but figured I'd ask:

Anyone have any old PS1, PS2, Wii, or Gamecube games, maybe even NES/SNES/Genesis games you're willing to part with?

My fat backward compatible PS3 broke so I've been on the hunt to replace it, I found a PS2, just need a PS3, but while hunting for them, I've came across several PS2 games I've never owned, and I've been having a blast playing them. I got caught up on my PS4 backlog, and I'm currently working on my PC backlog, so I figured why not build up my retro backlog to tackle next?

If not for free we can work out a price depending on what all you've got!

I am NOT looking to resell, I'm looking to build up my collection, they'll go to a good home and will eventually get played!

What about the PCs themselves?
I junked the motherboards but still have the rams, some ddr and ddr3. I also have the hdd that came with it as well, I think one is a wd blue 500gb, the other I forgot. I can get pics up in a bit.

edit: pics added. Free, you pay shipping.

claimed:
AMD phenom II x4 840 with motherboard
Corsair DDR2 ram
Crucial ddr3

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_202829552.jpg
    IMG_20210317_202829552.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210317_202915108.jpg
    IMG_20210317_202915108.jpg
    669.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210317_202919536.jpg
    IMG_20210317_202919536.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210317_202924354.jpg
    IMG_20210317_202924354.jpg
    779.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210317_202929549.jpg
    IMG_20210317_202929549.jpg
    538.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210228_161533656.jpg
    IMG_20210228_161533656.jpg
    439.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20210228_161611084.jpg
    IMG_20210228_161611084.jpg
    688.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I got a Asus 900HA I would like to find a free / dirt cheap 120GB+ SATA OR M.2 sata to put windows XP on. Anyone want to help let this thing live? In its previous life (who is not me) this thing has a programming degree from UC Berkley. ;) (based on school files on its mech hdd)

Free, just pay postage:

DuelAdapter PCMCIA to Express Card adapter NIB
Antec DataChute PCMCIA adapter for old computers using PCI slots, open box, seemingly unused
Adaptec SCSI Card 29160 NIB, but slightly damaged box

All items have been claimed. Sorry!

I was selling these on eBay but no one wanted them, but maybe someone here will. I ship from zip 92231.

(Also if anyone has any floppy disk drives cleaning kits they don't need... I need a couple.)

Last edited:
I got a Asus 900HA I would like to find a free / dirt cheap 120GB+ SATA OR M.2 sata to put windows XP on. Anyone want to help let this thing live? In its previous life (who is not me) this thing has a programming degree from UC Berkley. ;) (based on school files on its mech hdd)

PM sent.

[FREE]

[Pinal/Pima County, Arizona]
HP DL360 G7 1U server for pick up or can meet within NW Tucson area.

HAS:
  • 2x 8GB ECC RDIMM, 16 slots free (12 usable with 16gb or 32gb ECC RDIMM)
  • 2x 2.5" SFF SAS/SATA Trays, 6 blank caddy
  • Dual PSUs
  • Dual (IIRC) x5670 Westmere-EP 6c/12t 2.93ghz CPU with HSF (still installed)
  • Character and a strong work ethic

DOESN'T HAVE:
  • Warranty
  • Hard Drives
  • Rails
  • Inaudible operation mode
Box used to run ESXI 6.0 and 6.5; downsized due to noise. Didn't come with rails when I acquired it. Pics available upon request.
HP QuickSpecs

If you decide to ship this Peter wants it but I don't know what it looks like or how big heavy this is

If you decide to ship this Peter wants it but I don't know what it looks like or how big heavy this is
Unfortunately, I don't have a box or packing supplies to support it. It'll be local pickup for the time being. It looks like a standard 1U Pizza box rack server. As of right now I have someone potentially coming this Friday morning to pick it up. I'll edit this and the previous posts once it's been concluded.

If you're curious; this one weighs about 32 lb. or so.
  • Height 4.32 cm (1.70 in)
  • Depth 69.53 cm (27.38 in)
  • Width 42.62 cm (16.78 in)
  • Weight (Maximum: two processors, two power supplies, eight hard drives) 15.97 kg (35.20 lb.)
  • Weight (No drives installed) 14.06 kg (31.00 lb.)

Last edited:
i know asking about particular things has been frowned upon for a bit but this may be the best place to ask about them in case anyone has one or two just laying around. i'm looking for any half-height ssd boards 4gb and up for some thin clients i just received. Something like this:
s-l500.jpg

tear open cheap SSDs, these are inside.

I kind of realized that after posting my request but i also only bought these thin clients for 12 dollars a pop and only need about 4 gigs of space so i figured i would ask around first. Spending 20-30 dollars per drive just to gut them doesn't seem terrible smart to be atm.

What model are the thin clients? I'm using a Thin Client (Dell Wyze Dx0Q) as a file server, and with the right wires, it can accept a standard 2.5" drive.

https://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/d/dx0q/apps.shtml

I snagged a few zx0 series thin clients for just 12 dollars a pop. I did notice there is a space for a molex adapter but I couldn't find anything in my parts bin matching the pin config and the cost of the adapter and bracket blows away the price tag for the thin client itself.

Anyone have any spare 2 GB DDR2 SODIMMs lying around? Was given one of those older Atom Netbooks and irritatingly it has only one memory slot. Not sure if it'd take one of the rarer 4 GB DDR2 modules, but those are a bit much to ask for.

I have some older memory modules I'd be willing to let go of. Got a bunch of 512M-1G DDR2 SODIMMs and I think a couple of 2 GB DDR3 SODIMMs. Also have lots of DDR and SDR memory for older machines.

Anyone have any spare 2 GB DDR2 SODIMMs lying around? Was given one of those older Atom Netbooks and irritatingly it has only one memory slot. Not sure if it'd take one of the rarer 4 GB DDR2 modules, but those are a bit much to ask for.

I have some older memory modules I'd be willing to let go of. Got a bunch of 512M-1G DDR2 SODIMMs and I think a couple of 2 GB DDR3 SODIMMs. Also have lots of DDR and SDR memory for older machines.

I believe I do. Pm me your address.

If 404 doesn’t, I have an entire netbook with maxed out ram that you can have to scrap whatever out of it. It’s currently collecting dust in my garage bin of crap. Lol

If 404 doesn’t, I have an entire netbook with maxed out ram that you can have to scrap whatever out of it. It’s currently collecting dust in my garage bin of crap. Lol

Might take you up on that if 404's RAM doesn't work out. It's not the right speed so I'm not sure if it will work or not. Laptops can be picky about their memory speed.

I snagged a few zx0 series thin clients for just 12 dollars a pop. I did notice there is a space for a molex adapter but I couldn't find anything in my parts bin matching the pin config and the cost of the adapter and bracket blows away the price tag for the thin client itself.
If you mean molex for power most of those connectors can be rewired as in you can remove the pins and put them in the correct order if not you can always cut the wires and resplice them in the correct order.
If it the data portion I'm sorry I can't help you with that.

Also what can you actually do with a thin client? I thought they were like "dumb" terminals from many many many years ago and thus do not work without some network server on the other "end" as from what I know they don't have a local OS.

Also what can you actually do with a thin client? I thought they were like "dumb" terminals from many many many years ago and thus do not work without some network server on the other "end" as from what I know they don't have a local OS.

Modern thin clients are low powered PCs with an OS that boots into a remote desktop or whatever client. There was a round of weird fpga based clients, but the startup company behind those shut down abruptly and mostly people harvest the clients for the fpga chips (worth quite a bit more than MSRP, and you can get boxes of the clients for nothing because the support evaporated when the company did)

Modern thin clients are low powered PCs with an OS that boots into a remote desktop or whatever client. There was a round of weird fpga based clients, but the startup company behind those shut down abruptly and mostly people harvest the clients for the fpga chips (worth quite a bit more than MSRP, and you can get boxes of the clients for nothing because the support evaporated when the company did)
What was that company? As in socketed FPGA chips or soldered down like on modern stuff?
I for one miss laptops with socketed CPUS that could be removed to replace with a faster one or put on another motherboard if it fails and not have several different versions like my old Asus S500CA I bought the i7 version as I wanted the i7 but the i5 or i3 versions are easier thus cheaper to find.

What was that company? As in socketed FPGA chips or soldered down like on modern stuff?
I for one miss laptops with socketed CPUS that could be removed to replace with a faster one or put on another motherboard if it fails and not have several different versions like my old Asus S500CA I bought the i7 version as I wanted the i7 but the i5 or i3 versions are easier thus cheaper to find.

It was called Pano Logic, they sold them as 'zero clients'. The fpgas weren't socketted, but seems like the boards were hackable to reprogram the fpga with a custom bitstream.

It was called Pano Logic, they sold them as 'zero clients'. The fpgas weren't socketted, but seems like the boards were hackable to reprogram the fpga with a custom bitstream.
How long ago was this? I wonder if I can still find some in the 'wild' I almost got a small box of thin clients for free but I did not know if they could be of any use so I passed :( stupid me I believe they were WYSE and used a standard 19 or 12VDC power brick (none were included but I literally have 2 milk crates full of AC/DC adapters)
I wonder if they are fast enough to decode FLAC & MP3 (if they even have audio?)

How long ago was this? I wonder if I can still find some in the 'wild' I almost got a small box of thin clients for free but I did not know if they could be of any use so I passed :( stupid me I believe they were WYSE and used a standard 19 or 12VDC power brick (none were included but I literally have 2 milk crates full of AC/DC adapters)
I wonder if they are fast enough to decode FLAC & MP3 (if they even have audio?)

Pano Logic imploded around 2012, but articles about repurposing them started showing up closer to 2019 in my memory; I saw a big box of them in an auction in the past year, but I have too much stuff I'm totally going to do something useful with that's really just ewaste already ;)

Looking for a weird cable -- it's a male high pin density 50-pin SCSI (HPDB50-Male) to CardBus (ex: Panasonic, but not Adaptec SlimSCSI). Hopefully someone has one in a spare cable drawer -- I've been looking for a year unsuccessfully lol. They usually came with the 4x and 8x Panasonic portable (laptop) SCSI CD-ROM drives that looks similar to an old school portable CD player. The cable is usually labeled with the brand "HRS" at least on the CardBus end, sometimes the HPDB50 end is just a silver steel casing.

Example:
3huEKC1.jpg
IPQ3X04.jpg
9zs5D2K.jpg

EDIT: NO LONGER NEEDED, FOUND ONE!

gRNEmxyh.jpg

6qq2W8Bh.jpg

Last edited:
Back