The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

does anyone have a clik! drive they need to have a new home? I got some discs and want to see whats on them

Well if anyone wants it, I'll take it out the case and sent it to them.

If its still available im interested in just the board.
well i tried last nite using my unversal adapter power supply w/ tips. found the right one, plugged it in and got nothing. no post, nothing. well at least i salvaged the memory, hdd and dvd drive

I'm interested in just the board but I have a feeling they chucked it because its dead. Do you know the voltage you fed into it using that universal power supply?

I'm still kind of in shock that Kyle is shutting the main site down.

After Tom and Anand sold out this was the last independent hardware site standing...I'm not sure where I'm going to go for tech news and reviews.

The forums are staying up which is great news but its still depressing. This was really the first and only PC tech enthusiast site i ever really visited on a regular basis. :(

If its still available im interested in just the board.

I'm interested in just the board but I have a feeling they chucked it because its dead. Do you know the voltage you fed into it using that universal power supply?
If there's something specific about it needing an HP power supply this can happen too.

If there's something specific about it needing an HP power supply this can happen too.

All the hp power supplies I see for the models use a single barrel connector which means it's only feeding positive and negative

Can't imagine they are feeding a signal through that and there send to be ribs of people on eBay selling power adapters that claim to be compatible. That doesn't mean much tho

All the hp power supplies I see for the models use a single barrel connector which means it's only feeding positive and negative

Can't imagine they are feeding a signal through that and there send to be ribs of people on eBay selling power adapters that claim to be compatible. That doesn't mean much tho

Not saying they do or don't, I don't know, but I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

It is totally possible to superimpose an AC or PWM component on top of the DC over the 2 pins.

I actually have one of these boards. its 19v at least 2amp (dependent on what extra drives you add). Works with HP laptop power bricks. The outer side of the barrel is ground, the inner surface is +19, the little pin in the center is a data pin.

There's a center pin inside the barrel on HP and Dell laptop supplies. They call it a "Smart pin."

It's not really a data pin though. It's just ties back to the positive line through a resistor to drop the voltage. Different voltages are used for different power ratings (e.g. 12v for 65w, 13v for 90w, etc)

There are actually three connections on an HP barrel connector. The central pin, the inside of the barrel and the outside of the barrel. The inside and outside of the barrel are separated by a thin plastic insulator, which is why the tip has a ring of plastic on it.

Multiplexed power and data is more common than you think.

Looking for an IDE PATA hdd. Just need one for testing purposes, thought I had one still but must've thrown it out.

Anyone have a working 286, 386, 486 or Pentium (cannot be PII or higher) motherboard with processor and RAM?

Anyone have a working 286, 386, 486 or Pentium (cannot be PII or higher) motherboard with processor and RAM?

Your best bet is going to be to hunt down a used socket 7 board with anything pentium to pmmx, if you look around ebay or vcfed you can snap something up. Unfortunately these things are collectibles now, people are spending hundreds to put together 486 VLB systems.. I just had to replace one myself for a CNC controller.

Also if you go below socket 7 you're going to end up having to deal with controller cards for floppy, IDE, serial/parallel ...everything...

Also if you go below socket 7 you're going to end up having to deal with controller cards for floppy, IDE, serial/parallel ...everything...

Later 486 motherboards with PCI slots generally had at least one IDE controller on board. OEM 486 machines were generally the same story. I've had a few very early 486 Dell and Acer systems with integrated IDE.

And surprisingly, these old systems are still somewhat common in second hand stores and are usually priced really low since nobody knows what they are, or wants them.

Later 486 motherboards with PCI slots generally had at least one IDE controller on board. OEM 486 machines were generally the same story. I've had a few very early 486 Dell and Acer systems with integrated IDE.

And surprisingly, these old systems are still somewhat common in second hand stores and are usually priced really low since nobody knows what they are, or wants them.

Nice. PCI 486 boards seem collectible now too, they are desirable because people are doing POD83 or 5x86 builds with voodoo 1 or 2 in them, at least on the forum I check for vintage hardware it seems common. I don't have any local second hand stores where I am though so I go by ebay prices, on ebay a PCI 486 board is usually the most expensive of all socket 3, so the cheapest route online in my experience is still socket 7 (just avoid super socket 7).

Either way it would be smart to bag a few ISA boards, especially if you know people running old cnc / milling machines. The retro gaming hobby has really taken off to the point where SLI voodoo 2s will run you $200 on ebay now when they were worth peanuts 2-3 years ago.

Nice. PCI 486 boards seem collectible now too, they are desirable because people are doing POD83 or 5x86 builds with voodoo 1 or 2 in them, at least on the forum I check for vintage hardware it seems common.

I don't see the appeal of running any Voodoo card on a 486 machine, the Voodoo1 was released well into the Pentium era and was not designed to run on a 486. Even the fastest 5x86 or POD83 don't have enough grunt to drive a Voodoo card at any respectable frame rate in any game, I know because I've tried it. I have a POD83 and at least ten different 486 and 586 chips.

so the cheapest route online in my experience is still socket 7 (just avoid super socket 7).

Super 7 boards are better because they have fewer limitations. 100 MHz FSB support, more multipliers, faster IDE controllers, less likely to have an INT13h drive geometry limit, AGP support, etc. You can run weird configurations like a Pentium 233 MMX with an AGP card.

The retro gaming hobby has really taken off to the point where SLI voodoo 2s will run you $200 on ebay now when they were worth peanuts 2-3 years ago.

Eh, I have all of the Voodoo cards I could ever want.
https://i.imgur.com/FrgXURx.jpg

I don't see the appeal of running any Voodoo card on a 486 machine, the Voodoo1 was released well into the Pentium era and was not designed to run on a 486. Even the fastest 5x86 or POD83 don't have enough grunt to drive a Voodoo card at any respectable frame rate in any game, I know because I've tried it. I have a POD83 and at least ten different 486 and 586 chips.

Super 7 boards are better because they have fewer limitations. 100 MHz FSB support, more multipliers, faster IDE controllers, less likely to have an INT13h drive geometry limit, AGP support, etc. You can run weird configurations like a Pentium 233 MMX with an AGP card.

Eh, I have all of the Voodoo cards I could ever want.
https://i.imgur.com/FrgXURx.jpg

It doesn't appeal to me either (POD + voodoo), it's just more of an experimental thing. Quake + minGL becomes decently playable while still on socket 3.. so people get kicks out of showing that off. I just use an AM5x86 @ 160 with a tseng et-4000 vlb, it's all the DOS I'll ever need.

I think we're having two different perspectives in mind about the SS7 though. I'm assuming the guy asked for such an old board out of a need to run some specific old software or controller, as is usually the case when somebody wants free old hardware. So I suggested he stay away from things that will cost the most (SS7). The cheapest working systems I tend to see constantly are the at/atx hybrid socket 7 boards.

For some reason I'm getting a permissions error on your imgur link :p.. don't make me jealous, I sold off the last of my 3dfx cards when I was in a pinch.

man, I remember when my 486DXII was the hotness, wish I still had it

Don't click on my user name to see my hardforum profile picture then, the nostalgia may bring tears out :p

man, I remember when my 486DXII was the hotness, wish I still had it
I used to have 286, 386, 386sx, 386dx, 486sx, 486dx, 486dx2, 486dx4, 586, PI, PII, PIII, etc...

My first ever PC was a Radio Shack Tandy 2000, which was based on the Intel 80186. That was eon ago. How time flies by.

For some reason I'm getting a permissions error on your imgur link
Hit refresh or drop the https down to http and it works. :)
I used to have 286, 386, 386sx, 386dx, 486sx, 486dx, 486dx2, 486dx4, 586, PI, PII, PIII, etc...

My first ever PC was a Radio Shack Tandy 2000, which was based on the Intel 80186. That was eon ago. How upgrades fly by.
Fixed it for you. :D

Hit refresh or drop the https down to http and it works. :)
Fixed it for you. :D

Oh baby. I should buy me a V1 or V2 for the nostalgia.. I have a PMMX and PPRO 200 down the basement under about 20 years of dust. What's the going rate for hardforum members on these :p

Don't even know what I'd do with those later ones, assuming that twin fan is a 5500. Been a while since I've looked at these.

Oh baby. I should buy me a V1 or V2 for the nostalgia.. I have a PMMX and PPRO 200 down the basement under about 20 years of dust. What's the going rate for hardforum members on these :p

Don't even know what I'd do with those later ones, assuming that twin fan is a 5500. Been a while since I've looked at these.

yes, it's a V5 5500. I've recapped it and replaced the heatsinks and fans because they were all bad.

The thermal epoxy under one of the heatsinks was burned so badly that it smelled like death when the heatsink popped off. Seriously, it was so bad that I started dry heaving, no idea wtf was in that stuff.

Im looking for scrap gold from electronics (specifically edge connector 'fingers') I dont need a ton, I have been using these as currency to trade for parts dood at a computer store would otherwise cut apart. (basically so far I have found cut down apple 2 card and in some shocking cases, various voodoo cards.) So help save rare electronics lives by donating scrap gold fingers to my cause.. ; )

**Please dont cut down parts that would have a chance to be repairable and valuable in working condition.

Im looking for scrap gold from electronics (specifically edge connector 'fingers') I dont need a ton, I have been using these as currency to trade for parts dood at a computer store would otherwise cut apart. (basically so far I have found cut down apple 2 card and in some shocking cases, various voodoo cards.) So help save rare electronics lives by donating scrap gold fingers to my cause.. ; )

**Please dont cut down parts that would have a chance to be repairable and valuable in working condition.

Cutting down voodoo cards? Death penalty.

Edit: Bought one at microcenter on my trip lol.

Anyone got an ATX case w/ power supply? I'm local to 65615 would be willing to travel ~100 miles for pickup. Not picky just would like quiet.

Last edited:
Send me a PM
5 USD shipped to CONUS (covers postage and PayPal fee)
Pretty good book
The Best Investment Writing: Selected writing from leading investors and authors (Hardcover)
July 31, 2017
by Meb Faber (Editor)
Amazon link

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Building my nephew his first gaming PC, need some cheap stuff.
Looking for:

* PCI-E wifi card
* couple 7200rpm spinners bonus if they are the same size.
* sata cables

Last edited:
Looking for a few heatsinks that comes stock when you buy a CPU retail. Doesn't matter what generation of CPU. Willing to pay shipping.

Last edited:
Just gave away an ide hdd, and given away many ide optical, now I need one back lol

looking for an ide cdr or dvd burner, preferably the ugly beige color, and if it happened to be Plextor you are awesome!

Im need one trying to resurrect an old packard bell pentium 1 system since im having trouble getting the scsi drives to boot nicely to 95 and 98 :(

would really appreciate it

Last edited:
Back