The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I appreciate the offer. Sadly my Wife's Co worker decided to go by craiglist instead. and im afraid she got a pretty bad deal :(
Well, as the saying goes...a fool and their money...

At least you tried to help. Kudos and good karma for you. (y)

If anybody in the Albuquerque area wants a 1U rack case and VIA mITX motherboard, I am giving them away locally.

I'm still hoping for an AM3 motherboard to build myself a newer computer with components from a dead HP (phenom II x4).

Thanks to ThreeDee for trying with questionable oem HP mobo; but it only lasted a few days before it wouldn't boot. I am however looking to re-use the cpu, memory and hdd with a different motherboard.

I'm looking for some XBOX 360 modding tools... Like a CK3 Lite, Xecutor X360 USB Pro, opening tools, etc. I lost mine in the move and thanks to Gamestop I have a new console to mod.

I'm still hoping for an AM3 motherboard to build myself a newer computer with components from a dead HP (phenom II x4).

Thanks to ThreeDee for trying with questionable oem HP mobo; but it only lasted a few days before it wouldn't boot. I am however looking to re-use the cpu, memory and hdd with a different motherboard.

hey send me a pm regarding a board I have.

If anyone has a tube of Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut and at least one spare applicator sitting around that you aren't planning on finishing off I'd love to take it off your hands. PM me if so!

Looking for some cheap DDR3 (no heat spreaders needed) either 2 or 4 matched sticks. Appreciate any offers!

Anyone have a few small SSD drives kicking around? I'm looking at consolidating 3-4 older computers into one box and need some small drives. The base unit is going to have a tray less dock on the front so I can swap OS as needed. They are just old Windows 95/98-2000 Pro machines that run one off applications so the drives can be fairly small. I can buy new 120 gig drives for peanuts but I'm only going to be using 8 gig tops! I wish there was some way to take a new drive and break it into multiple C:\ partitions with a bootloader...

LMK

Gary

Anyone have a few small SSD drives kicking around? I'm looking at consolidating 3-4 older computers into one box and need some small drives. The base unit is going to have a tray less dock on the front so I can swap OS as needed. They are just old Windows 95/98-2000 Pro machines that run one off applications so the drives can be fairly small. I can buy new 120 gig drives for peanuts but I'm only going to be using 8 gig tops! I wish there was some way to take a new drive and break it into multiple C:\ partitions with a bootloader...

LMK

Gary

What about using SD cards with adapters? I saw that mentioned in another thread recently...might be worth looking into since you could just pick up a pack of 8GB cards.

What about using SD cards with adapters? I saw that mentioned in another thread recently...might be worth looking into since you could just pick up a pack of 8GB cards.

Tried it once with some fast CF cards, was painfully slow. Fine for an arcade board though.

I have 3 black cases for kindle fire 7s from aliexpress (2 different types)
Apparently I have 2 kindle fire 8s - who knew. Also apparently one seller on aliexpress has bad bookkeeping and sent me 2 instead of the 1 I ordered. One has a crack from shipping.

You pay shipping and they're yours!

Tried it once with some fast CF cards, was painfully slow. Fine for an arcade board though.

Ah, gotcha. I thought the performance of some of today's cards might be acceptable.

How many peanuts are you talking about being able to pick up those 120GB drives for? I just checked eBay for some small drives out of curiosity, and the lowest price there for a 40GB Intel 320 is just shy of $20. Seems like there were some very early 16/32GB SSDs before the Intel X25-M came out, but I don't know if they'd even be worth using. Probably better off paying a little more for one of the faster 120's that you found.

Ah, gotcha. I thought the performance of some of today's cards might be acceptable.

How many peanuts are you talking about being able to pick up those 120GB drives for? I just checked eBay for some small drives out of curiosity, and the lowest price there for a 40GB Intel 320 is just shy of $20. Seems like there were some very early 16/32GB SSDs before the Intel X25-M came out, but I don't know if they'd even be worth using. Probably better off paying a little more for one of the faster 120's that you found.

$20-$24 shipped for 120 gb through Frys.com with free shipping, they have them on sale every 2 weeks or so. Faster drive speed isn't so much an issue as the "base unit" is a older P4 2.8 HT with SATA I.

It still has a 10,000 RPM Raptor drive, a whole 34 gb. The cheapest SSD today smacks it around like a punk.

Looking for an old AMD Socket 939 cooler, something a little beefier than the stock one. Anyone have something?

Looking for an old AMD Socket 939 cooler, something a little beefier than the stock one. Anyone have something?

939, 940, AM2-AM4 and FM2/FM2+ all have the same hook retention mechanism spacing, your best bet for a cheap cooler would probably be one of the heatpipe variants for AM3 CPUs like this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323624910293

However, the holes in the board for the hook mount is not the same, so you can't use a screw type cooler like a Wraith cooler. 939 has two holes, one on each side of the CPU. Everything else has four holes, two on each side of the CPU.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

Unfortunately the smallest available is... 120gb.

A few of the smallest ones would have been perfect, doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

check the site I found some smaller ones available

Be wary of those Chineseium SSDs. They're usually cacheless designs and will perform great up until you start writing data to them, at which point they fall flat on their face.

I'd also advise against using SSDs on old operating systems since they can wear them out quick, especially if the SSD doesn't have wear leveling support in hardware.

Looking for an intel 80287 math co-processor to max out an AST 286 premium board. Thanks!

edit: thanks for the correction GiGaBiTe

Last edited:
Can't tell if serious or not.

If is serious, this is something to ask on vcfed.org forums, I doubt anyone here has gear more than 18-23 years old.

100% serious! I was going through my old school collection and I found this weird semi-open dip package. it turns out AST 286 premium boards shipped with a few zeniers and resistors in the place of an 80287 co processor. I had no idea I could even add one. Totally awesome. Was curious if someone had any spare in their secret stash (y)

P2660262.JPG P2660263.JPG

Last edited:
100% serious! I was going through my old school collection and I found this weird semi-open dip package. it turns out AST 286 premium boards shipped with a few zeniers and resistors in the place of an 8087 co processor. I had no idea I could even add one. Totally awesome. Was curious if someone had any spare in their secret stash (y)

It's not an 8087, it's an 80287, as marked on the board above the socket. You can get these on ebay for not that much.

Though unless you have software that utilizes the 80287, you won't notice any performance improvement. Most software of the day didn't use the FPU outside of scientific applications.

I'd also advise against using SSDs on old operating systems since they can wear them out quick, especially if the SSD doesn't have wear leveling support in hardware.

The amount of times this drives will be used it will not matter a wit. My daily box with XP/Ubuntu and a SSD has already seen hundreds more cycles than these will see with no reported issue.

Motherboards I still have-

Abit BE6, EPOX EP 8KHA+, ASUS A7Pro , Lucky Star 6VA693A, Asus A7NBX.

I also have a Abit BH6 and a Intel P3-1000 board from a Graphite Arcade PC/Simulator but it will be a few weeks before I pull those 2 machines down.

Attachments

• 20181231_161129_resized.jpg
    20181231_161129_resized.jpg
    614 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181231_161226_resized.jpg
    20181231_161226_resized.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181231_161325_resized.jpg
    20181231_161325_resized.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181231_161426_resized.jpg
    20181231_161426_resized.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20181231_161454_resized.jpg
    20181231_161454_resized.jpg
    690.8 KB · Views: 0
Motherboards I still have-

Abit BE6, EPOX EP 8KHA+, ASUS A7Pro , Lucky Star 6VA693A, Asus A7NBX..

These are all gone and away! Shipped out this morning. Thank you for your interest.

As soon as I gather up another lot I'll post it up, also have a like new womans leather motorcycle jacket and pants to move along and perhaps some other goodies. Housecleaning continues...

Gary

My old file server has been replaced, and the hardware is old enough that it's not worth selling on eBay.

Specs:
Motherboard: Biostar TF7025-M2
CPU: Athlon X2 3600 (yes, the cheapest dual-core CPU you could get at the time!)
RAM: 2x 1GB DDR2 800 sticks

The mobo has a bunch of bulging caps, but I haven't seen any ill effects, and it's been 100% stable for the past 10+ years.

$15 for USPS Priority shipping

I also have a number of 2GB DDR2 modules for $5 shipped.

Back