The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

I don't recommend using a crossover cable as a normal patch cable because it can lead to networking issues. Just because modern switches and NICs support weird cable configurations, doesn't mean you should go out of your way to wire it like that, because it's more of an idiot proof feature than a standard. There are very few uses for crossover cables today, the only two use cases I can think of are dumb cable modems which require them to connect to a single computer vs a router, or connecting two really old computers together that have NICs which can't negotiate over a regular patch cable.

I've had to clean up networking installations that did what you described, where one end used 568A and the other B. The runs which were switched like that had connectivity problems where the end device would either drop out constantly or have problems with heavy packet loss. Switching the 568A ends to 568B to match the other side fixed all problems.
if you switch does not support auto MD-II/MD-x there are plenty of use for cross over cables. The autofeature that is built into any modern switch was to go away with using crossover cables.

hub to hub connection, would need crossover cables if you switch does not have uplink port og auto MDI/MDI-X

However if you use an uplink port to a normal you need a stright cables
but if you use an uplink port to an uplink port you will again need a crossover cable.

There is nothing weird about crossover cables. But the auto MDI/MDI-X just removes the need for them as it will autmatically change port from normal port to uplink ports if you insert "the wrong" cable

also nobody recommended og said to go out of your way to use crossovercable.. just that it was possible and would work on any modern equipment.

got some stuff to get rid of guys, need it GONE so claim it ASAP before I take it to the dump. All worked when last used but can't make any promises.

***dibs will be given to those who POST in this thread first claiming what they want. I will update this post tomorrow if anything is left. After calling dibs, please PM me to work out shipping.***

misc water cooling fittings and fill port, and a couple plastic couplers (must take all of these)
xbox 360 HD DVD player with ac adapter (missing the standard 2 prong cable for the adapter. does not include usb cable or wireless remote)
3 card SLI bridge
2 card SLI bridge
2 card flexible SLI bridge
2 card crossfire bridge
socket P celeron 900 cpu
lga 775 pentium 4 2.8ghz
xeon e5506
opteron 275
"cardkeeper" plastic thing to prevent expansion card droop. Do not fit all GPUs, not sure which they would fit. I think they only work for cards where the heatsink does not extend to the edge of the card. have 4 of these
xbox 360 unlock kit
screen protectors for nexus 7
displayport to vga adapter
displayport to hdmi adapter (passive)
am2 motherboard (HP brand) with dual core cpu (4400+ I think?)
lga775 heatsink (intel, for lower watt cpus)
lga 2011 heatink (intel brand with blue led)
various 120mm fans, have about 6, DC, not PWM
a couple 80mm fans, DC

https://preview.************/fS1605/06160004.jpg
https://preview.************/jCFzL5/06160005.jpg
https://preview.************/cALASk/06160006.jpg
free website to upload photos

gone:
arctic cooling freezer pro 7 rev 2. fits am3 (via plastic bracket, not through board), so should fit various sockets from 754, 940, 939, am2, am3, etc)
clamshells for AMD cpus (theres a few here if you want them)
creative sound blaster audigy 2 zs pci card
rosewill 120mm cooler, same as akasa Evo 120. AMD mount only, via through holes, includes hardware for it but no backplate.
ATI FireGL pcie x16 card. has 2 dvi ports and no power connector needed. I think it is a 128mb card, it's old
AGP ATI all in wonder 2006 256MB graphics card / tv tuner. Includes remote with usb receiver, breakout cable with 2 vga and some other inputs, and the purple breakout box for s video and composite in. Believe it is a radeon 9600 under the hood.
asus radeon pci express card. believe it is a hd 4670. has vga, dvi, and hdmi. no power connector needed, but I think the fan header is burnt out, and requires plugging the can into a motherboard header or power adapter (already [crudely] adapted to 3 pin fan)
asus m2a-vm am2 motherboard. Always had issues with intermittent post with this board, that would seem to resolve after much troubleshooting but no explanation.

Last edited:
I will take the 360 and tinker with it. If that's ok?

Edit: Scratch that. Didn't notice that it's not a 360, but a DVD addition for a 360

Ok. I will return with photos when I find something else to give away. I have tons of miscellaneous parts, but I'm currently moving so I don't know when I will get around to sorting through them and deciding what goes and what stays

Last edited:
Dibs on:

arctic cooling freezer pro 7 rev 2. fits am3 (via plastic bracket, not through board), so should fit various sockets from 754, 940, 939, am2, am3, etc)

Thanks!

Dibs on:

rosewill 120mm cooler, same as akasa Evo 120.
"cardkeeper" plastic thing

updated post #7332 for what has been claimed, and added a few more items to the bottom of the list. Need it claimed today or the rest goes in the trash.

Tmobile Tuesday freebie.

$4 Transformers: The Last Night Movie Ticket (must be redeemed through "Atom Tickets" app.) Any showtime works, so go for the priciest!

Use Code: 3MNVJL39M

Enjoy. I have no desire to see another Michael Bay movie at the moment but it might be a good one to take your kids to. Please leave me some heat if you're feeling generous -- https://www.heatware.com/u/57411/to

Tmobile Tuesday freebie.

$4 Transformers: The Last Night Movie Ticket (must be redeemed through "Atom Tickets" app.) Any showtime works, so go for the priciest!

Use Code: 3MNVJL39M

Enjoy. I have no desire to see another Michael Bay movie at the moment but it might be a good one to take your kids to. Please leave me some heat if you're feeling generous -- https://www.heatware.com/u/57411/to
Here's another code.
GDT9WJDX9

Calling dibs on these:

xbox 360 HD DVD player with ac adapter (missing the standard 2 prong cable for the adapter. does not include usb cable or wireless remote)

asus m2a-vm am2 motherboard. Always had issues with intermittent post with this board, that would seem to resolve after much troubleshooting but no explanation.

I got the board yesterday and already fixed the problem.

It's a common problem with ASUS/ASRock boards of that age to use UCC KZG series capacitors, which are known to be unreliable and fail in short order. This board had four on the CPU power regulators, which caused the instability. I replaced them and the board works fine.

If anyone wants to recap their ASUS/ASRock motherboards, just be aware that ASUS loves to print the polarity mask backwards on all components. Make sure you mark the capacitor polarity before you replace them, or you'll power the board up to only have every capacitor explode or vent all at once.

If anyone wants to recap their ASUS/ASRock motherboards, just be aware that ASUS loves to print the polarity mask backwards on all components. Make sure you mark the capacitor polarity before you replace them, or you'll power the board up to only have every capacitor explode or vent all at once.
Ah hah! Now I know why ASUS RMAs are so horrible! :p

It's a common problem with ASUS/ASRock boards of that age to use UCC KZG series capacitors, which are known to be unreliable and fail in short order. This board had four on the CPU power regulators, which caused the instability. I replaced them and the board works fine.

Is that just incompetence or what?

Is that just incompetence or what?

Why they chose to use UCC KZG series capacitors baffles me because they were identified as junk back during the height of the capacitor plague. Here's a Dell Precision 650 motherboard that I recapped back several years ago:

Zn3OO0B.jpg

This motherboard is from 2002, 5 years before the ASUS board. It has 40 United Chemi-con caps, but only the ones around the CPU and VRMs are KZG series. They may look fine compared to the other physically leaking ones, but they're electrically leaky (they pass DC current because they've gone high ESR) and are also bad. Capacitors are supposed to block DC and pass AC, when they go high ESR, it's equivalent to having a resistor in parallel with the capacitor.

And why they chose to print all of the component maskings backwards, I can only think they do it to be scumbags to repair techs. I know it's not unique to the board I have because I've had several other ASUS boards where the component maskings are backwards as well.

I am looking for a cd drive blank from a tower like this or a cheap 5.25 card reader.

Here are a few junk items I have to get rid of. If for some reason there is interest, please pm me as I often forget to check this thread. Not sure if the pictures will work or how they'll look, but whatever... Lol

80mm fan mount Thermaltake reservoir. Thermaltake proprietary threads. I'll look and include any tt fittings I have, but no promises as to what's in my junk drawer.

Swiftech dual 140mm radiator. It's rusting and has plenty of bent fins. Never leaked, I just upgraded and this has been collecting dust for probably 5 years.

Older but small tp link router. No power brick, but it's a simple 12v supply you either have a collection of or can get cheap online

Gtx 760 stock air cooler. Standard Nvidia mounting holes and only cools gpu and vrms. Went water cooled for shits and giggles. Not going to need this anymore.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
got some stuff to get rid of guys, need it GONE so claim it ASAP before I take it to the dump. All worked when last used but can't make any promises.

***dibs will be given to those who POST in this thread first claiming what they want. I will update this post tomorrow if anything is left. After calling dibs, please PM me to work out shipping.***

misc water cooling fittings and fill port, and a couple plastic couplers (must take all of these)
3 card SLI bridge
2 card SLI bridge
2 card flexible SLI bridge
2 card crossfire bridge
socket P celeron 900 cpu
lga 775 pentium 4 2.8ghz
xeon e5506
opteron 275
"cardkeeper" plastic thing to prevent expansion card droop. Do not fit all GPUs, not sure which they would fit. I think they only work for cards where the heatsink does not extend to the edge of the card. have 4 of these
xbox 360 unlock kit
screen protectors for nexus 7
am2 motherboard (HP brand) with dual core cpu (4400+ I think?)
lga775 heatsink (intel, for lower watt cpus)
lga 2011 heatink (intel brand with blue led)
various 120mm fans, have about 6, DC, not PWM
a couple 80mm fans, DC

https://preview.************/fS1605/06160004.jpg
https://preview.************/jCFzL5/06160005.jpg
https://preview.************/cALASk/06160006.jpg
free website to upload photos

gone:
clamshells for AMD cpus (theres a few here if you want them)
rosewill 120mm cooler, same as akasa Evo 120. AMD mount only, via through holes, includes hardware for it but no backplate.
ATI FireGL pcie x16 card. has 2 dvi ports and no power connector needed. I think it is a 128mb card, it's old
AGP ATI all in wonder 2006 256MB graphics card / tv tuner. Includes remote with usb receiver, breakout cable with 2 vga and some other inputs, and the purple breakout box for s video and composite in. Believe it is a radeon 9600 under the hood.
asus radeon pci express card. believe it is a hd 4670. has vga, dvi, and hdmi. no power connector needed, but I think the fan header is burnt out, and requires plugging the can into a motherboard header or power adapter (already [crudely] adapted to 3 pin fan)
dibs on 80mm fans

Anyone have a USB hub 3.0 preferably? I can live with USB 2.0
I might have a 4 port USB 3. It's just not external powered so not great for high power draw devices. I'm out of town till Wednesday. If you don't get any other offers, PM me and remind me and I'll make sure I still have it and send it your way.

Looking for a couple CPU's.
Looking for the AMD Opteron 290 (OSA290FAA6CB)
Basicly just experimenting. Looking to see how far I can really push this old board.

looking for a mac pro or a mac G4 primarily a case but if someone has a working puter I could use it. want to hackintosh it.

Does anyone have any throwaway thermal paste. I'm doing an experiment with brake rotors and heat transfer and any kind of cheapo paste with do. I threw away all the cheap paste that came with my heatsinks. Thanks

Anyone happen to get a 1155 board from Kyles giveaway that they don't need?

edit 1155 not 1156

Last edited:
Wanted to note that most of the stuff I was giving away (monitors, motherboard, case) are now gone. Happy uses to the [h] people who got them.

Anyone have a 1155 micro atx board? doesn't need to be anything fancy, bare basic h61 is fine.

over

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-07-04-10-54-12.png
    Screenshot_2017-07-04-10-54-12.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Anyone have a am3 cpu sitting around? I've got a single core in it now but its just not cutting it anymore.

Also looking for a 1-1.5 gb IDE hdd. the one I had in my Dos gaming machine suddenly crapped itself and died.

Last edited:
Back