The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Anyone have a 120GB-256GB SATA SSD. Trying to replace the old ladies dying HDD in her PC
Quick search on ebay found this one for about the same cost as shipping will be for most of us:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/313500086149?epid=5042189561&hash=item48fe0faf85:g:t10AAOSwOFtgNHEg&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4D0musOQsVZbKnHzItNjk9G2Y6VAPbR2LyaGVksf/ElAGzonyTYQyFGttD/Vitg/Fe24a66ZN6np4oLaeCs7iyFNTU7rx2dKmDCmHmyqwbel5SZGyZa+2RPVrvHEQ7rnaepzS0GkhRU/xMj3Jz70K7U8zFANR1uuUfi1IExXHYXVVx0EvfspBp49Q7vnD4n4n85v9yxid3pIJEHLDuxDCzylXi7HCy8J8LPNTtdnUGhaYe1AbRbVa0Nn18KR04LLqDOaMCqDBY5wg4CUQzk/Rxa9rJfUYmQDbb83pdqIoTRG|tkp:Bk9SR8Cz-ommYQ

This one is even better (samsung/dell):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134356224836?epid=1170738550&hash=item1f48414b44:g:ZvoAAOSwMOxjkIx3&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoGQRc3KPSxzikpbgUVzjVeabJwzCeBsrY0j7ln+ZcB96/bXc6aNrK2kOLceISS+LwkiqaOVO1FLIUAhGvRPTTCjs7csBwq9BUPfRiNkKQrF4qjY6tICrQQ3gnhmXg+7aC1tYjmTQkC0CyLWR8PLz1CIX+cQTi/IkNgxMPg4Oo+aBQqyqCjxWM2N10/W1nf2mHKvK8OaRsdbGUfputL/hKdA=|tkp:Bk9SR8Kz-ommYQ

Even cheaper sk hynix:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144865197205?hash=item21baa37c95:g:9NEAAOSwny9joflE&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoCLOpzjQqaneYaTyZUfkwQUUiG84CQFxWIikaIWXzAicgLrKoryopEQtTv75K2sTNAFYsRaXKSX2l7l8VZ/wMJRaX8GcTFJHrpluBbJLrqeyL9HbBdzjRSj81QqDzo3HhUzfdqW88hyeKSvBMlzAPAHu4RXs3AKk1YlqksJ1LSoR9UqMonZrA3KdSSTr+boAzG0YzTPFmU9b8Cw8+rqbmaE=|tkp:Bk9SR_bVlpKmYQ&LH_ItemCondition=4&autorefresh=true

Geez these things have gotten cheap on ebay--makes me think about stuffing a bunch in empty drive bays just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Got a CM 212 Evo & some DDR3 (4x2gb)
DSC05093.JPGDSC05094.JPG

Last edited:
I don't know if I should claim the cooler, I could use it for my 3570k vs the stock cooler - if I ever even find something to do with my 3570k, I have everything I need done by something else, I can't think what to do with it...

I’ve got TP Link wifi card

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B089FCX3C3?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Works fine but one of the antenna receiver screw ins is bent. Doesn’t seem to effect performance. Don’t need anymore as new motherboard has wifi built in. Would like it to go to someone who legitimately has trouble affording one as they aren’t expensive. Yours for shipping and my gas.

Claimed

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If this has an lga775 mount, I can definitely put it to good use. :)
The bottom plate and the X clamp are universal for all sockets, the only difference is the stud length. There are long ones and short ones, the latter only being needed on LGA2011 and maybe other large LGA sockets. The picture seems to have the longer studs, so it'll work on LGA775. Though, unless you have like a QX6850, Q9650, or QX9770 then a 212 is complete overkill.

Though you need to be careful, the cooler is so tall that it will hit and go past the door on many shallower cases. You need at least 7" of depth in the case to fit the cooler. The nominal height on the cooler is 6.2", but the heatpipes vary quite a bit. Sometimes they're stupidly long and stick out well past the fins.

Smaller coolers that would work would be the Zalman CNPS5X, Asus V-60, Cooler Master Hyper 101 or the TX3. These are all long out of production unfortunately, so you'll have to pick them up second hand and hope all of the mounting hardware exists.

The bottom plate and the X clamp are universal for all sockets, the only difference is the stud length. There are long ones and short ones, the latter only being needed on LGA2011 and maybe other large LGA sockets. The picture seems to have the longer studs, so it'll work on LGA775. Though, unless you have like a QX6850, Q9650, or QX9770 then a 212 is complete overkill.

Though you need to be careful, the cooler is so tall that it will hit and go past the door on many shallower cases. You need at least 7" of depth in the case to fit the cooler. The nominal height on the cooler is 6.2", but the heatpipes vary quite a bit. Sometimes they're stupidly long and stick out well past the fins.

Smaller coolers that would work would be the Zalman CNPS5X, Asus V-60, Cooler Master Hyper 101 or the TX3. These are all long out of production unfortunately, so you'll have to pick them up second hand and hope all of the mounting hardware exists.
Thank you for the additional details! Your knowledge on this older stuff is priceless. (y)

Yep, the case I have is gargantuan so shouldn't have clearance issues and I plan to use it with a q6600 that I want to mod to run at 3ghz like people did back in the old days. (y)

Thank you for the additional details! Your knowledge on this older stuff is priceless. (y)

Yep, the case I have is gargantuan so shouldn't have clearance issues and I plan to use it with a q6600 that I want to mod to run at 3ghz like people did back in the old days. (y)
9 x 400FSB @ 3.6 FTW!

I have three C0 stepping Q6600s. The two retail CPUs did 9x400 with no problem although the OEM one couldn't do better than 3.5Ghz. One of those Q6600s was running at 3.6Ghz for more than ten years without a problem.
Nice! I just want to see what it was like to mod the cpu and have it just run faster like that. I've never done it before as the most I ever did was used a 486slc to upgrade a 286 to a 486.

:D I have one! I didn't think they had more room than the q6600. :D

Not sure how much room they have over a Q6600, but they have a 10x multiplier, which lets you go to 4 GHz while maintaining a 1600 MHz FSB that doesn't throw everything off. Even if you can only get a 1333 MHz bus, you're still way ahead of a QX6850. Those things are still hideously expensive, even being almost 16 years old.

Too bad Intel didn't make Wolfdale quads with a 1066 MHz bus. The Pentium E series with Wolfdale-3M cores were monster overclockers. You could go +1000 MHz on stock voltage and they wouldn't even care.

Not sure how much room they have over a Q6600, but they have a 10x multiplier, which lets you go to 4 GHz while maintaining a 1600 MHz FSB that doesn't throw everything off. Even if you can only get a 1333 MHz bus, you're still way ahead of a QX6850. Those things are still hideously expensive, even being almost 16 years old.

Too bad Intel didn't make Wolfdale quads with a 1066 MHz bus. The Pentium E series with Wolfdale-3M cores were monster overclockers. You could go +1000 MHz on stock voltage and they wouldn't even care.
Thank you for the great info as usual! The target motherboard only accepts 1066 fsb cpus, so no chance I'm messing with the fsb on the q6700, but great to know they have that capability. :)

So on the wolfdale monster overclockers, you mean like the pentium and e5800 e6700?
https://www.cpu-world.com/Compare_C...M,Intel_HH80562PH0678MK,Intel_HH80562XJ0808M/

The e8600 is nice when you just want single thread performance. It's amazing how close it is in performance to the i3-560. The same thing happened in the first i-core generation with the i5-680 dual core which would touch the single thread performance of the quad core i5-2400:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...Intel-i3-560-vs-Intel-i5-680-vs-Intel-i5-2400

For me, it's about just maxing out whatever a particular system was capable of without going too crazy and then just use it until it dies and then rebuild it. I still have s478 pentiums that are running. :) In fact, I finally got some 512MB sdram modules to try 1.5GB of ram on it.

Given away. Gone Anyone need this stuff? I am guessing
Vid Cards.jpg
Hyper 212.jpg
about $25.00 or less in the lower 48. I really want to get rid of all of it at once. The Hyper is unused. I might have an extra mounting kit that maybe has an AM4 it but no promises on that one. Will throw in if I find it.

Last edited:
I'm trying to help a member out who bought a 3570k from me and found out the K series wont work on his board. He has a H-Joshua-H61-uATX (HP board) that was running an i3-2330.

Would anyone have a non K i5-3570 to trade for the K version?

I'm trying to help a member out who bought a 3570k from me and found out the K series wont work on his board. He has a H-Joshua-H61-uATX (HP board) that was running an i3-2330.

Would anyone have a non K i5-3570 to trade for the K version?
Looking at the specs for the motherboard and from my experience with HPs, either he needs to update his bios to the latest version first, or he has a bad processor. Usually all the K variants are supported if the non-k is supported, and the non-k is definitely supported in the entire lga1155 series according to this document:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03506147

I would have him put back in the stock cpu and see if it still works, if not, it wasn't the 3570k that did it. If it does, then he just needs to try it again or try another processor.

Looking at the specs for the motherboard and from my experience with HPs, either he needs to update his bios to the latest version first, or he has a bad processor. Usually all the K variants are supported if the non-k is supported, and the non-k is definitely supported in the entire lga1155 series according to this document:
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03506147

I would have him put back in the stock cpu and see if it still works, if not, it wasn't the 3570k that did it. If it does, then he just needs to try it again or try another processor.
The i5-3xxxk isn't. I checked the hp site page on the board for the cpu upgrade.

The i5-3xxxk isn't. I checked the hp site page on the board for the cpu upgrade.
They never specify the k versions in specs, but they will work if the non-k does. All of my HPs and Dells have been upgraded this way to the k version since it was cheaper/more readily available (including that system I got from you a few years back :)).

There are HP and Dell models that don't support K series CPUs. There are also models that only support Sandy Bridge chips and not Ivy Bridge. I've run across this issue numerous times.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Deskt...-for-CPU-Upgarde-Sandy-to/td-p/3098377/page/2

Someone else with presumably the same logic board that won't accept a 2500k.
That's true too, but usually you'll see some pattern of limitations in the supported processors on the official lists. HP also sometimes has multiple motherboard part numbers that end up supporting different specs which could be the case here since their official specs also get revised with motherboard changes.

Probably won't get much interest, but I got an Early 2006 iMac (A1174) that was given to me by a customer because the hard drive died. I don't need the machine. It takes a standard 3.5" SATA drive, the mounting hardware is included. It has 2 GB of RAM.

Don't know much about it, other than it gets to the question folder because no bootable media. Comes with the keyboard and mouse that came with the unit.

If you pay shipping, you can have it. Else, it's going to the recycling pile.

Probably won't get much interest, but I got an Early 2006 iMac (A1174) that was given to me by a customer because the hard drive died. I don't need the machine. It takes a standard 3.5" SATA drive, the mounting hardware is included. It has 2 GB of RAM.

Don't know much about it, other than it gets to the question folder because no bootable media. Comes with the keyboard and mouse that came with the unit.

If you pay shipping, you can have it. Else, it's going to the recycling pile.

I'm interested

Just let me know how much shipping to 23607 would be

I'm not giving away the HD4670 lol. It's going into my collection of nice old hardware.

There were some other AGP cards in that pile of stuff I found that I'm going to give away, but they're much older and probably won't have any interest. The best is an AIW Radeon 9600, but it's missing the pigtail. I went back and dug in the recycling pile but I couldn't find it. The other cards are a couple of TNT and TNT2 M64 cards.

Gwarren07 hooked me up with a Pentium D 945 and an additional 930, which is nice.
Still have any of those old agp cards? Suddenly find myself in need...

I'm interested

Just let me know how much shipping to 23607 would be

Well that was fast lol. I'll work on getting it boxed up and see what Fedex says.

Still have any of those old agp cards? Suddenly find myself in need...

Still have that AIW 9600, but no pigtail for it. I can test it with the cable from another one of my AIW cards, but you'll need to source the cable. They're not easy to find, they look like this:
https://i0.wp.com/the620guy.com/wp-.../20160629-ATI_AIW_9600_128M_NTSC__Cable_4.jpg

It might be possible to rig something up with male dupont headers, but it'd be a hacky mess.

Also still have some TNT2 M64 cards. I'll need to dig them out and test them. Don't want to send off potentially non-working cards, they've been in my horde for a very long time.

Gauging interest here, I'm in NYC and I have a free 2U Rackmount case for local pickup available if anyone is interested in the area. It looks like the picture below. Has a couple dings and scratches and the top panel has seen better days near the screw holes but has the case fans intact, sorry I don't have the key for this but the front panel is already unlocked. Compatible with ATX motherboards. I will have another one next week that is a 4U Rosewill Rackmount case next week for free as well.

If no interest, they will just end up in the trash after 3 weeks.

yhst-59368419805889_2269_50059721.jpg

The 4U Rosewill rackmount case I will be putting on the freebie list for pickup next week after I sort out all the internals. This rackmount case looks pristine, no dings and dents that I can see. I have the keys for the front panel lock for this one.
11-147-328-01.jpg

Both Gone.

Last edited:
Back