The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Any requirements?
I have a Maxtor SATA/IDE card from when SATA first became a thing it was included with a Maxtor drive I bought about 15 years ago it is only SATA-1 (1.5)

Hoping it would run in Windows 7/8, and my guess would be that would be a little too old and obscure to have driver support.

Hoping it would run in Windows 7/8, and my guess would be that would be a little too old and obscure to have driver support.
Most of these still used standard chipsets so even without a specific driver should 'just work'. (y) You can always get more details on a particular card and make sure it works before shipping it. :)

I think I had the same one from compusa when I was putting together a Socket 940 build. Thanks for the memory 👍
Yep that is the one I also got mine from COMPUSA the actual chipset was made for Maxtor by Promise I think it was a TX133A or something like that it is only good up until Windows XP as much as I tried it will not work with Vista or Seven, I am not sure about Linux though as I have never used it for anything other then diagnostic tools and password cracking OPHcrack

Yep that is the one I also got mine from COMPUSA the actual chipset was made for Maxtor by Promise I think it was a TX133A or something like that it is only good up until Windows XP as much as I tried it will not work with Vista or Seven, I am not sure about Linux though as I have never used it for anything other then diagnostic tools and password cracking OPHcrack
Good to know. I still have that drive and card--that was the card that allowed 48-bit addressing for >137GB drives. At least this is what I remember...

I still have the card (somewhere) but that drive died years ago. it was only an 80GB drive anyway. Why is it so difficult to find a 4TB> that is still 7,200RPM though. I bought a WD Elements 6TB that I took the internal (Blue SMR) drive out and it is only 5,400 RPM why oh why?🤬

I still have the card (somewhere) but that drive died years ago. it was only an 80GB drive anyway. Why is it so difficult to find a 4TB> that is still 7,200RPM though. I bought a WD Elements 6TB that I took the internal (Blue SMR) drive out and it is only 5,400 RPM why oh why?🤬
Oh wow, I think mine came with the 280gb drive that was the biggest (and cheapest) at the time. I think that one is still working in an older Pentium Pro file server and some maxtor firewire version are still working too, but I haven't used them recently.

As far as why drives are 5400 and slower is because 7200 rpm drives typically run hotter so they don't make sense if manufacturers want to make a fan-less barebone external. Plus, today's 5400rpm drives are faster than even the velociraptors of yesterday. There's still 7200 rpm in most enterprise level drives, even as small as 1TB like these HPs sitting in the CDW outlet for cheap:
https://www.cdw.com/search/?key=1tb&outlet=1&sortby=priceasc&maxrecords=72

does anyone have one of those mpcie crystal HD decoder cards they are willing to let go for free or cheap? I dont have time to wait for shipping from china for a good price.

Hey, I'm looking for any old ISA cards.
I'm building a sweeeet retro rig with an ISA slot in the motherboard, but I'm a bit too young to actually have any ISA cards other than a soundcard I bought.

So anything interesting, weird, mysterious, or just useful would be appreciated. Including video and sound cards, and anything else you don't want.

Hey, I'm looking for any old ISA cards.
I'm building a sweeeet retro rig with an ISA slot in the motherboard, but I'm a bit too young to actually have any ISA cards other than a soundcard I bought.

So anything interesting, weird, mysterious, or just useful would be appreciated. Including video and sound cards, and anything else you don't want.

Unless the motherboard is pure ISA only, it's best to use as few of them as possible. The ISA bus is very slow and you definitely don't want to load it up with a bandwidth hungry device like a video card.

Unless the motherboard is pure ISA only, it's best to use as few of them as possible. The ISA bus is very slow and you definitely don't want to load it up with a bandwidth hungry device like a video card.

More for experimental purposes. The motherboard only has one ISA slot, so I'd just be trying it out, to have a taste of the old world of PC technology.
It's a Socket 462, so ISA was legacy even when it was released. =p

More for experimental purposes. The motherboard only has one ISA slot, so I'd just be trying it out, to have a taste of the old world of PC technology.
It's a Socket 462, so ISA was legacy even when it was released. =p

It may not be a "real" ISA slot. Some of the last motherboards to have ISA slots in the Pentium 4, Athlon and early Core 2 Duo era didn't fully implement the ISA bus. Two of the most common major issues were that IRQs were not serviced and DMA didn't work at all, limiting cards to port or memory mapped I/O only. This means that things like video cards, sound cards and disk controllers wouldn't work at all. The only kinds of devices that did work were things like port cards and proprietary controllers for external devices, which usually didn't need IRQs or DMA to work.

The only way to know for sure is if it's documented in the motherboard manual, someone mentioning it on the internet or just trying it yourself.

I used to have a big collection of ISA cards, but I'm unfortunately down to a handful after thinning them out over the years, and don't have any to spare. I'd recommend going over to vcfed.org or Vogons, where more people with vintage computer gear hang out. You're more likely to find stuff at reasonable prices there, rather than Ebay scalpers.

Vogons doesn't have a marketplace, so don't bother asking there for buy/sell. You'll get banned. They do have a giveaway thread, but it rarely sees action.

Vogons doesn't have a marketplace, so don't bother asking there for buy/sell. You'll get banned. They do have a giveaway thread, but it rarely sees action.

Ah, good to know. I don't visit there regularly so didn't know about this.

I have two 2.5" to USB 2.0 Sata enclosures with USB cables, no drives. One is Rosewill and the other is a Dane-Elec.

Last edited:
does anyone have a WD mybook schucked enclosure to off free or dirt cheap? I would like to put a WD 8T drive that was previously removed from one by someone else. The ones ppl want on ebay want way too much.

Got one on way. Thanks again Fritzz.

Last edited:
does anyone have a WD mybook schucked enclosure to off free or dirt cheap? I would like to put a WD 8T drive that was previously removed from one by someone else. The ones ppl want on ebay want way too much.

Pretty sure I have a left over WD easystore. It's not the mybook, so let me know if you want it. Just cost ya shipping.

Looking to offload some items due to a possible move with a job change.

First up is a SilverStone SFX PSU. Model number: SST-ST45SF

Pay for shipping and she is yours.

Next up is VisionTek Radeon 512MB 4350 PCI-e video card. Completely free. I'll help pay for shipping.

US 48 only. :) (I'm jobless and broke atm)

Edit: Claimed

Last edited:
Looking to offload some items due to a possible move with a job change.

First up is a SilverStone SFX PSU. Model number: SST-ST45SF

Pay for shipping and she is yours.

Next up is VisionTek Radeon 512MB 4350 PCI-e video card. Completely free. I'll help pay for shipping.

US 48 only. :) (I'm jobless and broke atm)
I can put those to good use if they are still available

Got one on way. Thanks again Fritzz.
And for anyone that doesn't know about this--you can change the easystore drive to use native 4k sectors with a WD utility. I don't know if this makes the drive 4kn after you remove it from the enclosure, but it is definitely 4kn in the enclosure after the change. The change is reversible using the same utility. If you use 4kn sectors, you can use an entire easystore with windows xp and earlier with an mbr partition (or several). I have our 10tb non-shucked easystores divided into 5x 2TB fat32 partitions and it's worked on everything I've plugged it into so far besides my intel ss4200-e nas which can't use physical drives over 4tb.

I have also attempted to use the utility on an HGST enterprise drive I put in the enclosure to change it to 4kn, but it would not do it (I forgot what the error message was--I think something like 'not supported on this drive').

Anyone have a wraith prism USB cable? I just want to configure my led and my open box cpu didn't come with the cables. I can return them when I am done.

Looking for an older Corsair H50 or H70 aio Intel bracket for the pump (the round one with the "teeth"). I've got AMD brackets, but no intel ones. I'd rather not build an adapter.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for an older Corsair H50 or H70 aio Intel bracket for the pump (the round one with the "teeth"). I've got AMD brackets, but no intel ones. I'd rather not build an adapter.

If I remember correctly those are Asetek pumps. Found that Asetek has an Amazon Store where you can buy retention rings.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a HP 6510b laptop available for the cost of mailing. The screen is cracked but can be connected to an external monitor using the agp port. It has 2x512mb ddr2 sodimm, a power supply and the battery holds a charge ( for how long I dont know). I've checked online and the screen is cheap n easy to replace.

does anyone potentially have a H100i AMD AM4 mounting kit they're willing to give?

I might have the AMD mounting. Is it the newer style of the older locking ring style? I'm pretty sure if I still have the parts it would be the newer type.

Back