The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Solid. :) Most of the stuff I have is much older. It all still runs, but once in a while it would be nice to feel what a 'modern' setup can do. Too bad each time I go to a store and find something hitting nice numbers on speed-battle.com, I look at the price and then think there's no way I'm paying that much for that. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I have a UPS that has various power reporting. Upgrading parts have actually led to less power use. upgrading from a first gen i7 to a 4th gen was a HUGE drop (another from 4th gen to 8th gen) along with upgrading from CCFL monitors to LED. Though the power bill was not too worrisome, the length of time the UPS could keep things up was.

I have a UPS that has various power reporting. Upgrading parts have actually led to less power use. upgrading from a first gen i7 to a 4th gen was a HUGE drop (another from 4th gen to 8th gen) along with upgrading from CCFL monitors to LED. Though the power bill was not too worrisome, the length of time the UPS could keep things up was.
Yeah, I see power being touted all the time in the server discussion sites. It's not as big a deal when you've got a lot of power already going out from 30A AC units, 30A oven, 30A dryer, etc. I think turning off all the servers I have including the older Dell 2950 units made maybe a $50 difference whereas months when the AC/heating units don't have to work as hard the savings will be at least double that if not more.

The CDW Outlet has been very good to me UPS-wise. :D I picked up about 14 brand new open box Cyberpower 1500 AVR units for $77 shipped/ea a year or two ago. So now I have a UPS on anything and everything--which is useful with the 1/2 second power blips we have around here. I think if I added up all the UPS capability I have it would be something like 40,000va. :eek: I know the 750va one we have on the router lasts over 1.5hrs. :)

Anyways, back to the thread and sorry for the tangent. :oops:

Anyone getting rid of an old SATA SSD? Looking for something to give life to an old C2D laptop. :)

On the less likely side, if anyone has 2x4GB DDR2-800 SODIMMS that they have no use for, I could put those to use as well.

Last edited:

I have a CyberPower PR750LCD (That I got on the local craigslist a few years ago for $25 as it was office surplus and the 2x 7.2AH 12V SLA batteries were DOA, I have a friend who does alarm systems on the side so he hooked me up with 2 used but good ones for free)
anyway my power usage actually went up (not down) according to the PowerPanel monitoring program when I went from my i7-4790K to a Ryzen 3700X.

Looking for a K650T for a USFF Optiplex 780, Pm me with details :)

The fan or the whole assembly? You can chop the connector and graft it onto a 3rd party 4 pin PWM 60mm fan. You'd probably get less noise and better airflow as well if you went with a good fan brand. I've done this on many a Dell machine.

Oh whale then that's a whole nother story, thanks GiGaBiTe!

I just dissasembled my USFF and found a wire was pinched. I bet it's the PWM wire as the fan runs full speed all the time but bios says I have a bad fan. I'll look through my storage tomorrow and see if I got a 60mm fan.

I just dissasembled my USFF and found a wire was pinched. I bet it's the PWM wire as the fan runs full speed all the time but bios says I have a bad fan. I'll look through my storage tomorrow and see if I got a 60mm fan.
Here's the pinout:
dell_5pin_4pin.jpg

But a Dell fan is only $6.50 shipped so it may not be worth the splice effort:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/K650T-Dell...769108&hash=item3b43adbfb0:g:FLEAAOSwJe9eajX1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Case-...cfb479441:g:QHAAAOSw4PBdwZTL&autorefresh=true

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

If it's just a pinched wire, you can try splicing out the bad part and reconnecting the wire. PWM is just used for fan control, the yellow wire is used for sensing the fan RPM. The motherboard could be getting confused if it has the PWM operating the fan at full speed and isn't getting anything on the sense wire, which is a pulsed square wave twice per fan revolution, usually from a hall effect sensor.

Does anyone have a PCIe video card with HDMI and DVI? Highly prefer NVidia, but no other requirements!

Does anyone have a PCIe video card with HDMI and DVI? Highly prefer NVidia, but no other requirements!
I have an MSI VN220GT-MD1G, no box or anything so it may not even be worth the cost of shipping. I think it cost me like $25 to ship an RX 560 last time (including packing materials). But it's got HDMI, DVI and VGA, but is a very old card and may not even be supported for what you need.

You should be using a service like Pirateship, no way it should cost 25 to ship a 560.
Might have been $20, but I had to buy the box + bubble wrap. Would have been less if I bought a box @ Walmart or w/e instead of from the UPS store, but I don't ship often and sent my wife to drop it off while i was at work. Luckily I had an electrostatic bag to put it in, lol. I'll check into pirateship, never heard of it.

Yeah, never ever buy packing materials from the UPS Store if you can avoid it. And by using PirateShip, you can avoid paying the retail rate for shipping. Guessing you probably could have saved at least $10 between those two things. I know, hindsight is 20/20 and you do what you have to in a pinch but check it out. Even if you ship things infrequently, might as well save where you can. I could have saved $100s over the past few years with the various things I've sold.

Yeah, was trying to get it out for a fellow [H] member. I will check out the pirateship a bit more, looks like it uses USPS. I don't ship to often so I don't tend to have packing material handy. Heck even keeping OEM boxes adds up when you have 5 desktops full of parts + 2 monitors on 3 of those.

Yeah, was trying to get it out for a fellow [H] member. I will check out the pirateship a bit more, looks like it uses USPS. I don't ship to often so I don't tend to have packing material handy. Heck even keeping OEM boxes adds up when you have 5 desktops full of parts + 2 monitors on 3 of those.

Shippo is like PirateShip and uses USPS + UPS and only charges $0.05 per label. USPS is typically cheaper for me with small/midsize packages, and Priority is frequently faster than Ground. But larger/heavier items are almost cheaper for me with UPS. The site saved me about $30 on one package that was going to the west coast. Sometimes the difference is huge!

Anyone have a spare 250gig+ SATA hard drive or SSD? Shuckable external drive would be fine too. I have an old rig that's been collecting dust, thinking of swapping out the drive and finding a good place to donate it to.

I'll take it if no one else does. Come in handy for playing super mario on my desktop

It's yours if you want it, brother. PM me your address and I'll get a shipping estimate. Should only be a few bucks.

I have two pairs of DDR2 memory for cost of shipping from 99352. I have no way to test the memory, so I don't know if it is faulty.

Set 1: Corsair CM2X512-5400C4, 4-4-4-12 timings. 512MB is printed on each stick, so I think it's 1GB total.
Set 2: 1GB sticks, 2 sticks total. Patriot DDR2, PVS22G9600ELK, 5-5-5-12 timings.

Enjoy 4 months free of Apple Music with your Best Buy purchase.

Stream 60 million songs ad-free.

Copy code below and redeem now:

apple.co/BBYredeem

Code: 7THJTJYYK74N

Note: The code is case sensitive and must be entered exactly as displayed. This e-mail and code cannot be replaced if lost or deleted.

This offer is for new Apple Music subscribers only. Code expires on August 15, 2020

strange one but I'm looking for some 256mb pc 2700 desktop ram to help troubleshoot a silver strike bowling arcade cabinet. Would prefer a pair just for the sake of troubleshooting.

strange one but I'm looking for some 256mb pc 2700 desktop ram to help troubleshoot a silver strike bowling arcade cabinet. Would prefer a pair just for the sake of troubleshooting.
I have 2 sticks of 256mb 266mhz (PC2100) CL2.5, no 333mhz. Might be good enough to check if it'll boot (honestly can't remember compatibility from this long ago), I have nothing to test them out in and they have been used in years.

Edit:. I may be able to throw this in my P4 system I forgot I had, lol. Can check the ram and see what is currently in my P4 box.

404, I may have that.. I'll get back to you in a few.. I'll go did in my stash

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I have 2 sticks of 256mb 266mhz (PC2100) CL2.5, no 333mhz. Might be good enough to check if it'll boot (honestly can't remember compatibility from this long ago), I have nothing to test them out in and they have been used in years.

Edit:. I may be able to throw this in my P4 system I forgot I had, lol. Can check the ram and see what is currently in my P4 box.

I'd really like to go with as close to the original configuration as possible right now. I just don't know if i will introduce another issue into an already picky system.

Back