The [H]ard Forum Storage Showoff Thread - Post your 10TB+ systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
well here is my little rig, i will post some details a little later.
"Little" being probably the understatement of the century... :D :eek:

I mean, that thing has the volume of four cases, has wheels to be moved, and those handles seem to be able to pull an elephant or two... each...

However, that's [H] worthy alright :D, and if XS did über cases, it would probably fit there.

I'm actually liking the colour (sorry for you USers out there, but I can't for the sake of me to drop the "u" on that word) theme, I can't wait to know just how much stuff you can fit in there... If my calculations are correct (I'm using a smaller case as comparison), I'd say at least 15~20 drives on the main case (probably more, if you use a uATX motherboard, though that might be a problem on storage expansion), and around 40~60 on the other three cases, meaning an INSANE amount of potential storage...

DAMN! Ockie, stand aside, because if I'm right, you could be shoved out of the picture so fast it would hurt.

Please, someone tell me my math is utterly wrong. Please!

*Drools*

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: It's stuff like these that make me happy to have subscribed to this thread... hehehe

"Little" being probably the understatement of the century... :D :eek:

I mean, that thing has the volume of four cases, has wheels to be moved, and those handles seem to be able to pull an elephant or two... each...

However, that's [H] worthy alright :D, and if XS did über cases, it would probably fit there.

I'm actually liking the colour (sorry for you USers out there, but I can't for the sake of me to drop the "u" on that word) theme, I can't wait to know just how much stuff you can fit in there... If my calculations are correct (I'm using a smaller case as comparison), I'd say at least 15~20 drives on the main case (probably more, if you use a uATX motherboard, though that might be a problem on storage expansion), and around 40~60 on the other three cases, meaning an INSANE amount of potential storage...

DAMN! Ockie, stand aside, because if I'm right, you could be shoved out of the picture so fast it would hurt.

Please, someone tell me my math is utterly wrong. Please!

*Drools*

Cheers.

Miguel

P.S.: It's stuff like these that make me happy to have subscribed to this thread... hehehe

IIRC I had about triple his storage... He has a boat load of smaller drives.

Doesnt help to have a boatload of 4in3s if the drives in them are small...

this rig is about to be pulled down and changed into rack cases (3x norco 4020's)

icore 7 920
gigabyte x58
6GB ddr3
280GTX
highpoint 2340
Adaptec 52445
44x 1TB drive's
Broadcom dual gigabit

this is my lanning rig :)

this rig is about to be pulled down and changed into rack cases (3x norco 4020's)

icore 7 920
gigabyte x58
6GB ddr3
280GTX
highpoint 2340
Adaptec 52445
44x 1TB drive's
Broadcom dual gigabit

this is my lanning rig :)

You should swap them all to 2tb drives, you can eliminate two entire systems just like that.

Ender, you can update me to 32tb in one machine now :) I'll post a pic or two coming soon... just got the rest of the 2's in :)

2TB's were not out when i built the system :)

i am looking at updating drives once i get the norco case's

IIRC I had about triple his storage... He has a boat load of smaller drives.
Yeah, you're right. But I was only referring to the potential raw storage capacity of a case like that... I mean, fitting 120TB+ on a single mega case is something you don't see every day...

No offense, but while you still seem to be the storage king, you get there with rather compact systems, and/or rackmountable cases, which limit the number of drives you can fit in a system.

His approach is, well, massive, and could REALLY redefine the way home NASes can be made to be. I know, I should probably go to XS, thinking like this... :eek:

Ender, you can update me to 32tb in one machine now :) I'll post a pic or two coming soon... just got the rest of the 2's in :)
Hehehe. 16x2TB... Hmm, don't Norco cases fit 20, or so? Or that's 32TB available, with RAID5 or RAID6, meaning more drives?

My 17 TB sounds so weak now.
Everything else sounds and looks weak when we start entering the 30+TB club :p

Btw, guys, I don't know if this is the place to ask, or if someone already posted something about this, but how do you handle disk power up and idling? Do you implement Staggered Spin-Up? If so, which drives can handle it better? Also, do you allow drives to park? Why/why not?

Cheers.

Miguel

Yeah, you're right. But I was only referring to the potential raw storage capacity of a case like that... I mean, fitting 120TB+ on a single mega case is something you don't see every day...

No offense, but while you still seem to be the storage king, you get there with rather compact systems, and/or rackmountable cases, which limit the number of drives you can fit in a system.

His approach is, well, massive, and could REALLY redefine the way home NASes can be made to be. I know, I should probably go to XS, thinking like this... :eek:

And yet another reason I don't publish my build logs. People rip them off and then come here to take my claim. This is exactly what I was talking about.

So yeah, you guys wont get any pictures, I don't need to prove myself here just so someone else can take the idea and come here and take the throne.

Anyone can take cases, stack them and add drives, anyone can add drives to a system, anyone can go and buy tens of terrabytes of drives to be a storage king.... it takes a whole different person and setup to make it as efficient and as functional as possible while still keeping the performance high... it takes another whole person to be able to have a use for all of that space and only adds when needed... it takes another person to be able to make all of it work in a ultra compact ultra dense solution... it takes a storage king to do all three of them. And I have only seen a handful of storage kings here, more than half of them are listed in my sig.

It's not a race for me, to me it's a hobby and something I like to do and it's a storage requirement I need, so yeah I can go take 4 343's bolt them together, yeah I could have bought BlueFox's case and put over 100 drives into it and loaded it with 2tb drives.. that's easy, it takes a checkbook.... to use all of that space and do so efficiently is a whole new animal.

my cases came out of being the cheapest solution i could find at the time in my country to be able to do the job. We have 5in3's here but they are around $200US, we have some drive rack cases but they are well over $1000us. No 3ware, no acera really around and easy to purchase.

my computer does its job and stores a lot of cheap drives in one place, allowing me to easily sort files and keep things organized.

No one really has big storage (or at least storage in one box) and it has been a challenge to find and do things from scratch.

This rig is my day to day desktop, running Windows xp 64bit and also is used for gaming, it deffinitely has its flaws and for the mean time i will be moving to 3x Norco 4020's, but in the future i might revisit the Lian li once i get some more parts/money to poor into it.

damn
cmon, youre no fun anymore ;/
seems like beening on #2 and 60t 4u thread has got you

i used to look up to you, compare your ideas to mine, improve my final doings ... now, everyone for himself ... yanks go for norcos and fun with showing each other their doings goes in history books, sad

We have 5in3's here but they are around $200US, we have some drive rack cases but they are well over $1000us. No 3ware, no acera really around and easy to purchase.
Same where I live. Heck, I can't even remember the last time I actually saw a website acknowledging the store could supply something like a multi-drive hot-swap enclosure... Professional storage controllers are VERY hard to find, too...

And yet another reason I don't publish my build logs. People rip them off and then come here to take my claim. This is exactly what I was talking about.
Sorry. It seems I hit a nerve, though it seriously wasn't my intention.

All I was saying was that, with the proper component selection and design, that case could probably be made to be one of the most massive NASes to date, which just for existing would completely change the perspective on "prosumer" NASes. Nothing more, nothing less, and I especially wasn't saying you suck at what you do. FAR from it, and your builds are always special, no matter what size. (And that's probably why so many people tend to go along with your specs and compare their machines with yours... Being the best tends to do that...)

Again, I apologize if I was inconvenient in any way.

So yeah, you guys wont get any pictures, I don't need to prove myself here just so someone else can take the idea and come here and take the throne.
Fair enough. If you feel you don't want to post any more pictures of builds, so be it. Though I personally would love seeing my designs carbon copied. The whole "imitation" and "flattery" thing :p (Yeah, I'm a little like that...:eek:)

damn

i used to look up to you, compare your ideas to mine, improve my final doings ... now, everyone for himself ... yanks go for norcos and fun with showing each other their doings goes in history books, sad
Doesn't seem to have anything to do with "fun" or "jealousy". At least to me. He's probably not in the same place where he was when he posted his builds. That kind of thing happens, it's life going on.

Even if Ockie decides not to post his great works anymore, I'd really like if he was still around to tell us how he'd do something different. He's a great designer and builder, after all...

Cheers.

Miguel

damn

Well, I explained to to miguel in the PM, I'm sure he'll see how I feel about it and why I feel so about it.

Being on #2? lol. Your kidding right? I have over a petabyte at work that I can publish because I own it, but I don't because I only publish my hobby numbers. Also, the score thread has not been updated. But yeah, this was exactly what I was talking about, you say one thing and then you say another thing..... you say it's about to share ideas, now with that comment you are saying it's about some sort of race for storage capacity. Did you not read my thread?

Some compared ideas, others ripped it straight off and then claimed it as their own and then had the nerve to down talk me.

I'm done with this thread, if this is how you guys want to keep rolling with the punches you can count a major contributor out of the deal. You already burned the chances of pictures, not you burn the chances of final contributions. This is what I was talking about, you make contributions and this is the result you get.

no i havnt read your thread
race thing was just laughing, i got my picture of your capabilitys ages ago, so competing wasnt the plan
anyway was funny that , after you getting some time off , i got chance to count everything, post it and "compete"

was good while it lasted, but sad that some inovative ideas wont come here
you keep talking about those idea stealings, geez, the ones who saw you getting it first know it, the others ... who cares?
and in my case everyone can see, ive rarely fallowed anyones footsteps

and for finale the real nicest thing: ive been removed from "club" :D
remind me, why i even got there?

on sidenote, would be nice if someone moved all this offtopic to different thread

Last edited:
locking this until I get back from vacation and see what the hell is going on

thread reopened, keep arguments to PMs
I have also updated the rankings, if I missed anyone, please PM me again

Last edited:
Here's my current setup at the casa. This thread got me to actually inventory my stuff so thanks OP! hehe
I didn't count my numerous xbox's, laptops, media players, flash drives, spares, etc. Just my pc's and my external
storage. I can verify anything with a picture and my nick if anyone wants. I included Everest summaries to
each system so you can see they were dated all in the same day.

magnetik said:
SYSTEM #1
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
1000GB
300GB

SYSTEM #2
250GB
500GB

SYSTEM #3
500GB
SYSTEM #4
750GB
150GB

SYSTEM #5
320GB
1000GB
1000GB

SYSTEM #6
150GB
SYSTEM #7
74GB
74GB

NAS #1
1000GB
1000GB

NAS #2
1000GB
1000GB

NAS #3
500GB
USB 2.5"
500GB

=18.068TB TOTAL / 8.3TB ONE CHASSIS

SYSTEM #1
P1010583.jpg

i7 Main System
Case Cooler Master ATC-201BXT
PSU PC Power and Cooling 750W Silencer
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
CPU Intel Core i7 920
RAM 12GB Corsair Dominator CM3X2G1600C8D
GPU BFG GTX 295 1792MB
Controller Cards Adaptec 5805 w/ BBU (SUN OEM 256MB)
Optical Drives Samsung USB
Hard Drives #1 8 x WD1001FALS, #2 WD3000GLFS-01F8U0
Battery Backup Units NONE
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

SYSTEM #2
DSC00929.jpg

Exchange / IIS Server / Web
Case Silverstone LC10M
PSU Antec 465W Blue
Motherboard ASRock 939Dual-SATA2
CPU AMD Opteron 165
RAM GSkill 4GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
GPU ATI Radeon HD 4350
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives NEC DVDRW ND-2510A
Hard Drives #1 Seagate ST3500841A, #2 Maxtor 7Y250P0
Battery Backup Units Minuteman Enterprise UPS E1100
Operating System Microsoft Windows Server 2008 SP2

SYSTEM #3
P1010123.jpg

Arcade
Case CUSTOM BUILT
PSU PC Power & Cooling 750W Silencer
Motherboard Foxconn 6100K8MA/6100M2MA/6150K8MA/6150K8MD Series
CPU AMD Athlon 64 FX-55, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)
RAM 4GB Corsair XMS CMX1024-3200C2
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives NONE
Hard Drives HDS725050KLA360
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

SYSTEM #4
P1010337.jpg
(older)
Bedroom PC
Case Lian Li A05B
PSU PC Power and Cooling 750W
Motherboard MSI P6N Diamond (MS-7320)
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
RAM 8GB Patriot Memory PEP22G6400EL
GPU 2 x NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives PIONEER BD-ROM BDC-202
Hard Drives #1 WD1500AHFD-00RAR, #2 WD7500AAKS-00RBA
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64

SYSTEM #5
(no pics yet..will have some soon)
MEDIA CENTER PC
Case Lian Li PC-V351
PSU Antec 550W
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H v1
CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
RAM 8GB Mushkin DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives LG Bluray / HD-DVD GGC-H20L
Hard Drives #1 2 x WDC WD10EACS-00D6B0, #2 SAMSUNG HD321KJ
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 x64

SYSTEM #6
http://www.thunderpimp.com/pics/storage/P1010377.jpg
DINING ROOM PC
Case Silverstone SG01B Micro ATX
PSU Enermax Liberty 620W
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H
CPU AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition 940
RAM 8GB GSkill F2-6400CL4-2GBHK
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-216D
Hard Drives WD1500AHFD-00RAR
Backup Units NONE
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 x64

SYSTEM #7
(no pics yet..will have some soon)
Extra LAN Party Box
Case Lian Li PC71 (I think)
PSU Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750W
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
CPU Intel Pentium E6300
RAM 8GB OCZ Reaper HPC OCZ2RPR800C42G
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB
Controller Cards NONE
Optical Drives Samsung SH-S223F
Hard Drives 2 x WDC WD740GD-00FLA0
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3

EXTERNAL STORAGE
Pic #1, Pic #2, Pic #3
NAS
NAS #1 DLink DNS-323 1TB WD10EACS x 2
NAS #2 DLink DNS-323 1TB WD10EACS x 2
NAS #3 Dlink DSM-G600 500GB
USB
USB Western Digital Essentials 500GB 2.5"

Last edited:
Total advertised storage 12.5TB

Motherboard - Supermicro X7DBE
Chassis - Supermicro 826E1-R800LPB (SAS expander backplane!)
Power Supplies - Redundant (2) 800W Ablecom/Supermicro
Processors - (2) E5320 quad core 1.86GHz
Memory - (4) 2GB Kingston PC2-5300 FB-DIMM KVR667D2D4F5/2G
Controller - Adaptec 5805
NIC card - Intel Pro/1000MT (missing low profile bracket)
Disks - (2) Seagate 250GB ST3250318AS - RAID 1
Disks - (6) Seagate 2TB ST32000542AS - RAID 5
UPS - APC BE750G 450W 750VA
OS - Proxmox VE (Debian Lenny 2.6.24)

Fileserver + virtualization (PXE, FTP, etc)
Four open hot swap bays for future expansion. If, in the future, I require more storage than that, I'll cascade another chassis.

Code:
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/pve/root          58G  836M   54G   2% /
tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  2.6M  7.5M  26% /dev
tmpfs                 2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data  164G  319M  164G   1% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sda1             504M   33M  446M   7% /boot
/dev/sdb1             9.1T  5.4T  3.7T  60% /mnt/array

Pics from minutes prior to deployment:

Update 10/22/09 -- Upgraded to 8GB of memory :)

Last edited:
fancy,
welcome to the club

kinda sad, you have missing lp bracket ... i have missing full profile bracket :D

kinda sad, you have missing lp bracket ... i have missing full profile bracket :D
Do I sense a swap is on the works? :p

Total advertised storage 12.5TB
Since the last time I participated in this thread I somehow managed to get one of the users NOT posting ever again, I'll be as careful as I can be, OK?

[DISCLAIMER] No personal attacks or gratuitous criticism intended. Ever. [/DISCLAIMER]

Very nice rig. Simple, yet effective.

I especially like the hot swap PSUs. I wish cases like the Norco 42xx, which are ever so popular among DIY NASers, had that option. But I guess it's just too expensive to have that on a prosumer case, right?

Anyway, I'd like to know how loud that case is, and if you have gone any special lengths to lower sound output and power draw (apart from that CPU pair and low power 2TB drives, of course...).

Cheers.

Miguel

Sounds like we should trade :)

I especially like the hot swap PSUs. I wish cases like the Norco 42xx, which are ever so popular among DIY NASers, had that option. But I guess it's just too expensive to have that on a prosumer case, right?

Yes, it is a very expensive chassis ($750-800), but I paid less for it than you would for a Norco ;) The SAS expander backplane is the main reason I went with an 8x6E1 series Supermicro chassis.

Anyway, I'd like to know how loud that case is, and if you have gone any special lengths to lower sound output and power draw (apart from that CPU pair and low power 2TB drives, of course...).

Very loud...even with the 3 pin-workstation fan speed setting in the BIOS. It's under the house so noise is a non-factor for me. The chassis is intended to be used in a rack in a datacenter type environment after all. I didn't take any measures to dampen the noise (other than the fan throttling setting in the BIOS) or lower power consumption.

Last edited:
Sounds like we should trade :)

would be nice, but ... i think the long distance, .eu versus .us, will bump shiping price to a full e1000 price ;/

The SAS expander backplane is the main reason I went with an 8x6E1 series Supermicro chassis.

ye, expander is the key in those, ive refused too much sata backplane offers in last couple months, cant get any used/cheap expander case

thats why atm, im moving two of my boxes to a freakin codegen 4U :D

Last edited:
Yes, it is a very expensive chassis ($750-800), but I paid less for it than you would for a Norco ;)
Why is it I'm out of the loop on every great business opportunity? Hmpf... I swear, someday someone will find a way for us Portuguese guys to have the great prices you have that side of the ocean...

Well, Portugal in general is not very prone to good business opportunities when it comes to IT stuff (the $:€ rate is 1:1 for IT stuff :mad:), so I shouldn't be complaining in the first place, right? lol

Very loud...even with the 3 pin-workstation fan speed setting in the BIOS. It's under the house so noise is a non-factor for me. The chassis is intended to be used in a rack in a datacenter type environment after all. I didn't take any measures to dampen the noise (other than the fan throttling setting in the BIOS) or lower power consumption.
I can only imagine how loud that thing is, then.

Seriously, though, manufacturers should look into that... I know you have two CPUs and a truckload of HDDs, not to mention a couple of redundant 800W+ PSUs, but still, you need to be able to keep noise down if the components don't ask for it, right?

Good luck with the build. I hope one day in not a so distant future I'm able to enter the club with a DIY NAS based on Samsung F2 drives (still limited to 1.5TB ones, though, 2TB drives are still too expensive).

Cheers.

Miguel

Really though, Supermicro stuff is not designed for consumers who care about noise. Their cases are meant to be deployed in datacenters and such so I seriously doubt that fan noise is even on their concern list. Do you guys actually keep your fileservers in a place where they could be disruptive?

Really though, Supermicro stuff is not designed for consumers who care about noise. Their cases are meant to be deployed in datacenters and such so I seriously doubt that fan noise is even on their concern list. Do you guys actually keep your fileservers in a place where they could be disruptive?
Does having a rack in my bedroom count? Fortunately I have a 4U Norco now as I sold my 4U Supermicro. :p

Really though, Supermicro stuff is not designed for consumers who care about noise.
True. Sad, but true :p

Do you guys actually keep your fileservers in a place where they could be disruptive?
I don't own racks or rackmountable hardware, but I can tell you that my NAS is in my bedroom; and on my parents' house, the router (dedicated dual-NIC machine) is within earshot of my bed.

So yeah, they are in a place where they could be disruptive. That's why I'm such a fan of SPCR... hehehe

Cheers.

Miguel

Hi Guys.

A Friend of mine show me this thread here.

Sorry when my English is not 100% Perfekt i am from Austria ;)

I have build the last few year my Storage Server. All begun with a Promise S150SX4 and four Samsung 160GB Harddrives. Then the server grow and meanwhile there were from 14-22 Harddrives in it. With one to 3 Raid Controllers.

Then last year when the new Intel Xeon 5400 Series get out i want to have got a dual CPU Server. So i builed this nice Storage Server.

Amount of total storage 14.89TB
Amount of storage in the following system 14.89TB

Case: Lian Li PC-V2000 plus Alu black
CPU 2x Intel Xeon E5420, 4x 2.50GHz, 333MHz FSB, 2x 6MB shared Cache, 771-pin = 8x 2.50GHz
Mainboard ASUS DSEB-DG, i5400 (dual Sockel-771, FB-DIMM PC2-6400F)
Ram 8x Kingston ValueRAM FB-DIMM Kit 2048MB PC2-6400F ECC CL5 (DDR2-800)
GPU: ASUS EAH3450/HTP, Radeon HD 3450, 256MB DDR2 PCIe 2.0
Raid Controller: 1xPromise SuperTrak EX16350 retail, PCIe x8, 16x SATA II • RAID 0/1/5/6/10/50/JBOD • inkl. 256MB RAM

Now there are following Harddrives in it ;)

HDDS:
1x Samsung SpinPoint P120 250GB SATA II (SP2504C) @ JBOD @ forOS
8x Samsung SpinPoint F1 1000GB 32MB SATA II (HD103UJ) 32MB Cache @ Raid 6 @ for DATA
6x Samsung SpinPoint F1 1000GB 32MB SATA II (HD103UJ) 32MB Cache @ Raid 5 @ for DATA
2x Samsung SpinPoint F1 320GB 16MB SATA II (HD322HJ) 16MB Cache @ Raid 1 @ for Data

So there ist about 14.890 GB of Space in the Server.

In Windows 2003 R2 x64 Enterprise Server i have got about 10.775 GB for use ;)

serverhddsnmeb.jpg

Because the Server with his nice 8 Cores was running somtimes with Boinc so there the Air Cooling was too loud. So i choos to cool the Server with Water.

So these 2 Cpus and the 8x RAM Block and the Raid Controller is watercooled ;). So the Guys of AF-Watercooling build for me these Blocks. ;)

For the Watercooling i build an external Case out of Plexiglas. A friend of mine with an laser maschine made a nice layout in the plexiglas.

So here some Pics.

I have got another 5 computers but only with a fews Storage.

But i have got a Blog about all this and my Reviews for some German hardware forums.

You can visift for this my homepage. www.hardware.feichti.com

If you have got any questions please ask me :)

Greeds Feichti

Last edited:
Damn, watercooling on a dual-GPU file server. AND on the storage controller cards of said file server.

In addition, you have my all-time Samsung favorite drives in there, from the 250GB P120 to the 1TB F1... hehehe

SWEET!

Rock on, man! VERY interesting machine. And it actually seems it can be at least somewhat silent, with the WC loop. Of course the HDDs will keep it whining, but at least most fans can go away...

Cheers.

Miguel

god if this forum had rep i would give it to you in an instant, wcing a HDD controller is unbelievable can i ask why?

god if this forum had rep i would give it to you in an instant, wcing a HDD controller is unbelievable can i ask why?

Some raid controllers get really hot; I know my adaptec controller gets really toasty with it's stock passive heatsink.

Damn, watercooling on a dual-GPU file server. AND on the storage controller cards of said file server.

In addition, you have my all-time Samsung favorite drives in there, from the 250GB P120 to the 1TB F1... hehehe

SWEET!

Rock on, man! VERY interesting machine. And it actually seems it can be at least somewhat silent, with the WC loop. Of course the HDDs will keep it whining, but at least most fans can go away...

Cheers.

Miguel

In History i have got from Samsung 160GB, 200GB, 250GB, 400GB, 500GB and than from de F1 the 1TB and the 320GB version. From the F3 i have got now the 500GB version in my gaming rig. :)

The Server is of course more silent than with air cooled CPUS :) But there are Also in the V2000 About 9x 120mm Fans and also 9 in Watercooling Case.
But so i can run the Fans about only on 33% to 60% of Speed ;)

Some raid controllers get really hot; I know my adaptec controller gets really toasty with it's stock passive heatsink.

Yes your right ;). The Promise EX16350 is getting very hot with his little headsink. So i decided to watercool the Raid Controller :)

I like also the 8x RAM Cooler witch was only was build for me :)

Here again one Pic from the last Lanparty ;)

I must make some new Pics if my DSLR is back from repair.

Code:
Controllers found: 1
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Controller information
----------------------------------------------------------------------
   Controller Status                        : Optimal
   Channel description                      : SAS/SATA
   Controller Model                         : Adaptec 5805
   Controller Serial Number                 : <removed>
   Physical Slot                            : 6
   Temperature                              : 80 C/ 176 F (Normal)
   Installed memory                         : 512 MB

Check out the temp ;)

Just finished up my build.

30.3TB Advertised
24.56TB Usable

Case: Norco 4020
PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX
Motherboard: ASRock M3A780GXH/128M
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 245 Regor
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Controller Card: Highpoint 2340 (software raid6 via mdadm)
Hard Drives: 300gb Seagate (OS), 20x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F2EG HD154UI 1.5TB
Operating System: Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope)

After much thought I settled on software raid via mdadm in linux. I picked up the highpoint used for $115 shipped. I really wanted to go hardware raid, but the price was too good to pass up. I had a lot of issues with the card and the samsung drives, but after a few emails to highpoint they sent me a brand new card unopened and it works wonderfully.

All in all I'm pretty satisfied with the build.

30tba.gif
30tbc.gif

30tbb.gif

I will try to add some more pictures later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back