The [H]arbringiner is alive

Redid first post....lots of updates
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1037447008#post1037447008

Current state:
had a fan go out...replaced with GT-15s
2012-04-04%252020.50.59.jpg

Need a faster pump and some more radspace to take it over the top, the fans however are very nice. ;)

I would cook and clean for you for a box with times like that.

Where is smokerngs? He was our resident manwhore for years.

Well, sc0tty8, there does seem to be an opening for you :p

scotty8 sure does seem to be willing to throw his mangina around......

Where is smokerngs? He was our resident manwhore for years.

Well, sc0tty8, there does seem to be an opening for you :p

Ya...

Where is old smokey?

He was the first to admit to being a manwhore.

Hey Patriot, any tips on how we can acquire these Extra Spicy Black Editions you're using?

Hey Patriot, any tips on how we can acquire these Extra Spicy Black Editions you're using?

Watch the ebays very carefully, there was a quartet of special IL's up earlier this week...

Every time I see this post come back up I hear "Assuming direct control" in the back of my head... :D

Supposedly the guy who sold them has more...

But who is "the guy" ?
I've been searching for 6180s and the ones I found turned out to be "misplaced" once I tried to order last week.

Have cash ......... must spend ......... SWMBO is not watching ........ :cool:

Coming soon to a harbringer near you...
Asked DetroitAC @ extremesystems to make me a custom G34 block...
DT sniper now for G34.
DT-G34Sniper.jpeg

Awesome!
How much / will they make more?

Patriot said they were $65 per block. Since the maker has the G34 dimensions now and he has made a set already, I would think that it is very likely that he will make more on request.

Patriot said they were $65 per block. Since the maker has the G34 dimensions now and he has made a set already, I would think that it is very likely that he will make more on request.

He said less than the sniper which is 67.5 ...probably around 65... I will let you know when he tells me the exact price.
http://www.dtwaterblocks.com/

Were the current blocks not good enough?

My mounting is gradually failing...the materials are not strong enough for that high of tension.
So my temps were basically on a slow rise from the time I made it.

I could cut 2 of the wings of a rasas mount to make it work but the rasas are rather restrictive so I have a very low flow rate.

I am basically addressing all my problems at once.

Power
I thought I was capped by my psu I was not... the motherboard was maxed basically.
Swapping for a SM GL. going from 2 to 3 eps plugs.

Chip max.
Swapping chips with R-type so I will have 4x 2ghz es chips.

Cooling.
redoing wc loop. Adding a RX360, swapping pumps for a d5 and switching to G34 sniper blocks.

hi Patriot,

i've been attempting to overclock the CPU/NB on my rig to almost no avail. Currently running 4 61xx (2.1 GHz "stock" speed) Extra Spicys at 3.0 GHz and running OCNG 5.3. default MHz on the CPU/NB is 1800 MHz with a voltage of 1.08x volts and i'd like to raise that as much as i can. So... tell me how did you manage to overclock your NB to 2160? i can up my ref clock to 205 but anything past that brings all kinds of instability (especially 209 MHz) random black screens etc. i'm guessing its because the CPU/NB isn't high enough. Any thoughts?

hi Patriot,

i've been attempting to overclock the CPU/NB on my rig to almost no avail. Currently running 4 61xx (2.1 GHz "stock" speed) Extra Spicys at 3.0 GHz and running OCNG 5.3. default MHz on the CPU/NB is 1800 MHz with a voltage of 1.08x volts and i'd like to raise that as much as i can. So... tell me how did you manage to overclock your NB to 2160? i can up my ref clock to 205 but anything past that brings all kinds of instability (especially 209 MHz) random black screens etc. i'm guessing its because the CPU/NB isn't high enough. Any thoughts?

Getting stable NB overclocks were tricky but also super helpful performance wise... Are your VRMs cooled?

2 things I ran Nbvid of 7, so I gave the nb more volts... and CPUs a lot more.... but the board can't handle as much as I gave them.

According to my very very very old post of which I have 0 recall making.
48cores @ 3.48ghz
refclock 240, nb 2160

So yeah, iirc refclock could be stably set all the way to 250, maybe you are having ram issues and need to adjust that multiplier.

VRMs are not heat sinked now. However, i'm running this in a modded SC748 case (drive cage removed replaced with extra 120mm fan, added an extra GPU fan in the back, fan controller controlling all the fans, higher flow fans on the Noctuas)... so plenty of airflow below and above the motherboard (ambient is usually around 80F in the case), CPUs max out at around 58C with all of them going full bore. As it sits right now... i can run all 48 at 3.0 GHz with complete stability (at 1.2v), or i can run two cores on each die at 3.6 GHz (all the rest at 800 MHz) at 1.275v, or a single core on each die at 3.8 GHz (all the rest at 800 Mhz) at 1.375v... i'm pretty happy with that... so won't be increasing those any. Just want to run the CPU/NB faster for better L3 and memory performance.

if i use TPC to set the northbridge voltage to 1.15v then attempt a warm boot... it reboots and stops at the initializing usb... and goes no further. If i use TPC to set the northbridge frequency it requires a warm boot to come into effect. So since i cannot successfully reboot with just a higher NB voltage... i am kind of stuck.

Unfortunately OCNG doesn't have a way of setting NB voltage during the boot process for the 61xx series that i can tell.

Getting stable NB overclocks were tricky but also super helpful performance wise... Are your VRMs cooled?

2 things I ran Nbvid of 7, so I gave the nb more volts... and CPUs a lot more.... but the board can't handle as much as I gave them.

According to my very very very old post of which I have 0 recall making.
48cores @ 3.48ghz
refclock 240, nb 2160

So yeah, iirc refclock could be stably set all the way to 250, maybe you are having ram issues and need to adjust that multiplier.

VRMs are not heat sinked now. However, i'm running this in a modded SC748 case (drive cage removed replaced with extra 120mm fan, added an extra GPU fan in the back, fan controller controlling all the fans, higher flow fans on the Noctuas)... so plenty of airflow below and above the motherboard (ambient is usually around 80F in the case), CPUs max out at around 58C with all of them going full bore. As it sits right now... i can run all 48 at 3.0 GHz with complete stability (at 1.2v), or i can run two cores on each die at 3.6 GHz (all the rest at 800 MHz) at 1.275v, or a single core on each die at 3.8 GHz (all the rest at 800 Mhz) at 1.375v... i'm pretty happy with that... so won't be increasing those any. Just want to run the CPU/NB faster for better L3 and memory performance.

if i use TPC to set the northbridge voltage to 1.15v then attempt a warm boot... it reboots and stops at the initializing usb... and goes no further. If i use TPC to set the northbridge frequency it requires a warm boot to come into effect. So since i cannot successfully reboot with just a higher NB voltage... i am kind of stuck.

Unfortunately OCNG doesn't have a way of setting NB voltage during the boot process for the 61xx series that i can tell.

What power supplies are you running, it got pretty thirsty pushing past 3.3ghz
And which board? You should be able to get pretty far at 1.375v, I was watercooled and um, pegged stuff at 1.55v, which the VRMs can handle, but the traces cant...

If you are having trouble getting NB overclocked drop back to stock frequencies and overclock bus first and nb first then go for max multi with raised NB.
I still have the box but my house power droops too much with that large of a load.... I would check on your ram and drop to a lower multi before pushing higher base clock.
The NB clock and memory timings were why I held the Cinebench WR over 4.2ghz 62xx chips and 4p sandybridge till bricktown launched 1yr+ later.

That said... it has been 7yrs... my dual 2011-3 box runs laps around an opty 4p now.
If you have the dough... pick up a $600 epyc board and $600 epyc and 8 dimms of ddr4... and have fun... can hit 3.4ghz across 32c of epyc and be miles ahead of this... also all epyc's are unlocked.

i'm running two SuperMicro PWS-1K41F-1R 1400w power supplies (these come with the SC748 case).

Board is H8QGi-F.

CPU wise i cannot go any further than around 3.2/3.3 GHz on all cores. Cinebench 11.5 maxed out at 39.82. As you mentioned... over 1000w at the wall socket as well. Temps are a bit crazy... so i am just content to run it at 3.0 Ghz.

Yes, i remember your fantastic 45.x score :)

The ram while i was attempting the nb was dropped by the OCNG down to DDR3-1333 at i think CL8 timings (i had previously memtested those timings all night with no errors).

Okay, i did not know that the Epycs are unlocked - wow. i'll really have to consider that (and now i am wondering if SuperMicro's Epyc board will fit in this case).

Thanks for the suggestions.

What power supplies are you running, it got pretty thirsty pushing past 3.3ghz
And which board? You should be able to get pretty far at 1.375v, I was watercooled and um, pegged stuff at 1.55v, which the VRMs can handle, but the traces cant...

If you are having trouble getting NB overclocked drop back to stock frequencies and overclock bus first and nb first then go for max multi with raised NB.
I still have the box but my house power droops too much with that large of a load.... I would check on your ram and drop to a lower multi before pushing higher base clock.
The NB clock and memory timings were why I held the Cinebench WR over 4.2ghz 62xx chips and 4p sandybridge till bricktown launched 1yr+ later.

That said... it has been 7yrs... my dual 2011-3 box runs laps around an opty 4p now.
If you have the dough... pick up a $600 epyc board and $600 epyc and 8 dimms of ddr4... and have fun... can hit 3.4ghz across 32c of epyc and be miles ahead of this... also all epyc's are unlocked.

i'm running two SuperMicro PWS-1K41F-1R 1400w power supplies (these come with the SC748 case).

Board is H8QGi-F.

CPU wise i cannot go any further than around 3.2/3.3 GHz on all cores. Cinebench 11.5 maxed out at 39.82. As you mentioned... over 1000w at the wall socket as well. Temps are a bit crazy... so i am just content to run it at 3.0 Ghz.

Yes, i remember your fantastic 45.x score :)

The ram while i was attempting the nb was dropped by the OCNG down to DDR3-1333 at i think CL8 timings (i had previously memtested those timings all night with no errors).

Okay, i did not know that the Epycs are unlocked - wow. i'll really have to consider that (and now i am wondering if SuperMicro's Epyc board will fit in this case).

Thanks for the suggestions.
Yeah at 3.3ghz folding at home was drawing 1450w from the wall ~1250w DC no clue what my 3.8ghz cinebench runs drew... Sth has a thread on overclocking epycs ...I am hoping to add support to tpc for it before Rome arrives.

Back