The GTX-480 Silencer

Looks pretty neat, very different design. How is the clearance on the top with DVI cables etc plugged in?

Nice case design. I have always wondered why they didn't make cases like that. Right now I have an Aerocool case that flips the CPU to the bottom of the case but the graphics card is still horizontal directly above it.

You guys reviewing the Raven 2?

Looks pretty neat, very different design. How is the clearance on the top with DVI cables etc plugged in?

Clearance isn't an issue. You have 3 7/8" clearance between the IO ports and the metal mesh on the top cover and 2 7/8" between the IO ports and the frame of the top panel. I have the FT02 which is the fortress variant of the RV02.

I dont get how this case will be silent. it seems like everything is plug on the top too? It looks kind of interesting but I dont get how it will make gfx card silent.

I think it cools the GPU's better so they don't turn up the fan speed to MAX POWA.

I give it +1.

I dont get how this case will be silent. it seems like everything is plug on the top too? It looks kind of interesting but I dont get how it will make gfx card silent.

Intake fans on the bottom pull in the coldest air, the heat rises and goes out the top of the case. It's temp dynamics at it's basic form, pretty much.

::hugs his FT02::

The Silverstone Fortress FT02 Case has dampening foam on the side panels, and it's better airflow means the video card's fan does not have to run as high to compensate. The Silverstone Raven RV02 is very-similar in design.

I know my Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced with over 16 fans has a similar effect and runs pretty silent with a GTX 480 and various hardware overclocks.

Last edited:
The Silverstone Fortress FT-02 Case has dampening foam on the side panels, and it's better airflow means the video card's fan does not have to run as high to compensate. The Silverstone Raven RV-02 is very-similar in design.

The RV-02 doesn't have side panel dampening foam like the FT-02. However, the comments about the 180mm fans cooling the components inside is spot on!

The FT-02 (and thus RV-02) are very quiet cases. I love how quiet my FT-02 is.

i have this case, i love it :)

photo2edw.jpg

Core2 Q6600 idles at around 35-38c, 5870 idles at around 46-47c when the fan is at 100%

Cool design and one of those "why didn't anyone else come out with that before" kind of things.

One question, the front bezel looks like plastic, is it? I'm not too fond of plastic on cases as it usually breaks, wears out and looks bad (and cheap)....though I that may be something I'd look past as performance would trump my antiplastic stance ;)

So, all the I/O cables come out the top of the case?

Where is the PSU situated?

Those are some big-ass fans on the floor of the case:eek:

I liked the FT02 much better than any other standard ATX case.

The cards I had, 5970 & 5870, ran at much lower GPU fan speeds in the FT02 than any other case.
Never had to run my fans above 45%.

In standard ATX cases, I had to run the GPU fan at 60% for the 5870 and 70% for the 5970.
This was such a huge difference in heat and noise that I wanted to call the person I sold my FT02 to and ask for it back! Seriously it was that big of a difference. Even though he said that he will sell back to me in a few months, I wanted it back now. For high end GPU air-cooling, get a Silverstone FT02/RV02.

Last edited:
Where is the PSU situated?

PSU is situated to the right of the motherboard. It's in the same place relative to the motherboard in a conventional ATX setup. The only difference is that the PSU fan can point outwards and get fresh air from outside.

I have this case, and it made no differece with GTX 480 that I had, temps were just like the review sites mentioned and that people have mentioned here. My temps were around 91-92c under full load. The fans would spin up to keep the above temps

Last edited:
I was planning to buy a Corsair 800D, i guess i will have to take this case into consideration before buying.

If you're going to air cool, don't go with the 800D. Get the FT02/RV02. It's the extra cost of fans and rear/top intake with no filters that makes it not a good choice.
At the same time, I won't buy a GTX 480, the heat issues with that card exceeds any cases cooling potential. 80C+ temps with the GTX 480s is just something you have to deal with.

Last edited:
Kyle, I notice a Dynatron Genius G950 heatsink there. What is your personal opinion on it?

(I got it for $25 shipped at newegg when it came out) :p

I do like fact all plug ins are on top and insane cooling. I think this case is gtreat as well.

Coolermaster Haf X EATX Tower Case Black 6X5.25 5X3.5INT No PS Front USB3.0

Lots of expansion slots. I am thinking of this one. but Silverstone Case I like the fan filters to keep dust out.

I almost picked up an FT02 before I decided to go with the older FT01. While the FT02 isn't as tall as the 800D, it is a VERY long case. Aside from that, it is one of the nicer looking cases to me.

Wouldn't those fans be at least partially restricted by being so close to the (stone!) floor, meaning that this case would cool better were it orientated 90o to the left, like a normal case :S

Because the case unlike most other case's got overpressure, instead of underpressure.
If you're going to air cool, don't go with the 800D. Get the FT02/RV02. It's the extra cost of fans and rear/top intake with no filters that makes it not a good choice.
At the same time, I won't buy a GTX 480, the heat issues with that card exceeds any cases cooling potential. 80C+ temps with the GTX 480s is just something you have to deal with.
My friend had a similar problem whit his two 480GTX in a 800D, it was noisy!

We fixed the problem by doing tree things.
1. Turn the fans at the top around so that they blow in.
2. Install some black foam rubber between the site panel and the horizontal plate above the PSU.
3. We taped up all vent grills on the back

What this dose is crate a overpressure in the case, as it normally got underpressure.
This in turn make's it that you have a mouths easier to get a higher airflow true the video card cooler.
Now you got 4 fans blowing in and 1 out instead of the other way around.

His PC is not silent now but during idle/windows the video card is only giving low hum.
And sounds almost like my 2x 5870 during idle before i got water cooling.
And during gaming instead of sounding like a vacuum-cleaner, the sound is not distracting anymore.
Still louder then a pair of 5870 but not by that mouths anymore.

And if i would get this case i would seriously consider taping up the vent holes, ore at least try it out what works better.

full.png

Hope the tester will do it, duck tape is cheap, and simple to install and remove again :D

Last edited:
I couldn't tell on the pics newegg....

Is there any where for water cooling tubes to go in and out of the case? Its either this case or the HAF 942.

Can't say I'm too fond of the side panel window being on the otherside. Completely backwards feeling compared too every other case I've seen or used.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Last edited:
Lame.

I suppose I could cut some. Its 139.99 after Mir at mewegg right now.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

And if i would get this case i would seriously consider taping up the vent holes, ore at least try it out what works better.

You don't want to tape up the top vents on the FT/RV02. It already has a positive pressure design, so there's no need to create more pressure. Also, why would you want to block the hot air from rising out of the case?

I just ordered one.

Any one like to buy an Antec 902? Its ready to hold 2 triple rads :D OT sorry.

Last edited:
I owned the case for a while and never noticed them lol. Though I never did build in it.

You had a Raven 2? The FT02 has the holes blocked off so you wouldn't notice them if you're going off of that.

More on this later with a video follow-up.

Hey Kyle.. is this "video follow-up" going to take as long as you finishing up your Thermaltake Level 10 review?

Monday , March 22, 2010.. Author - Kyle Bennett "We will be doing a build this weekend and following up with our readers letting you know what we think of the Level 10 after we have had a chance to get elbow deep in it."

If you ever did finish the Level 10 reivew, I never saw it posted. Please post a link if it is finished. If not, this graphic below still applies..

lost_weekend.jpg

Wouldn't those fans be at least partially restricted by being so close to the (stone!) floor, meaning that this case would cool better were it orientated 90o to the left, like a normal case :S

I would assume the RV02 has the same 2" (or so) clearance on the bottom of the case where air gets sucked in, just like the FT02.
I preferred the FT02 on looks and slightly less depth, but the RV02 is definitely worth buying if you don't want to spend more on the FT02.

I love my FT-02. It works great with a corsair H-50 cooler mounted to one of the bottom 180's with the corsair fan mounted on top in a push/pull. Even my fiance likes the general design but wants the RV-02 since she thinks my FT-02 looks "bland".

quick note:

Silverstone is offering many replacement for the 180mm fans including blue LED, higher RPM, lower RPM, and some new fans with "directed airflow" that is supposed to increase cooling even more.

as a second note the included fans have built-in switches that switch the fans between 1000RPM and 700 RPM.

You don't want to tape up the top vents on the FT/RV02. It already has a positive pressure design, so there's no need to create more pressure.
More pressure in the case means that the fan on the 480GTX has to work a lot less.
Worked good on the 800D

And like i was saying i think it would be nice just to see it tested, noting wrong whit that.
Also, why would you want to block the hot air from rising out of the case?
The 120mm above the CPU will still blow out all the hot air and i think will still be anouge to cool everything that needs cooling.
Properly also going to help in keeping the CPU cooler as there will be more airflow over the CPU cooler.
Chipsets and other other components have enough from moderated cooling its primarily the GPU and CPU that needs the best cooling.

Don't say that it will work on this case, i just think that it will, just like whit my friend 800D.

Back