The GTX 1080 Is Real

• Thread starter Deleted member 278999
  • Start date
I'm not so worried about the 1080. However the 1070 will cut into AMD's Polaris. Faster than titan x and about the same price as the upcoming polaris.

AMD has problems unless they can really boost their speed. This will be the death nail I predict.

Outside that, the crowds unprofessional reaction and his pitch remind me on a Ronco commercial.

Salesman: It does all this! But wait there's more!
Crowd, "What no way?!?!?"
Salesman: We are also selling 1070 made from our top of the line stuff for the low low price of....$379
Crowd: *loses their ever flippin minds*

ronco.jpg

Don't tell me how revolutionary, or magical it is (Apple BS)
Give me the flipping specs and feature list and if it's a new feature explain it without the superfluous flowery words.
The bottom line is ALWAYS performance against cost.

-Signed
-Grumpy Old Man

Last edited by a moderator:
Link?

And of course it's overclocked. Standard version runs at 1.7Ghz, the presentation ran at 2.1Ghz.

I suspect that's the founders edition they talked about. Basically they are going to sell you binned "Golden samples" guaranteed to overclock.

I can confirm that's what Jen-Hsun said in the presentation. Technically he said a 1080 was 2x faster than the Titan X with 3x efficiency in VR gaming scenarios. Earlier in the livestream he said a 1080 was faster than 980 SLI and a Titan X in conventional gaming scenarios. Remember that SLI scaling isn't 100%. It does look like they're claiming the 1080 is about 60-70% faster than a 980.

I can confirm that's what Jen-Hsun said in the presentation. Technically he said a 1080 was 2x faster than the Titan X with 3x efficiency in VR gaming scenarios. Earlier in the livestream he said a 1080 was faster than 980 SLI and a Titan X in conventional gaming scenarios. Remember that SLI scaling isn't 100%. It does look like they're claiming the 1080 is about 60-70% faster than a 980.

It should be 20-30% faster than the 980ti. Does that add up?

Yeah, it's "in VR" and "in gaming" marketing hocus-pocus. Who knows what "in gaming" means. Whatever it means they are both cherry picked examples.

People also mix their words and fumble. Sometimes they fumble a lot. That presentation was far from rehearsed. Things were obviously said that weren't meant to be said.

It should be 20-30% faster than the 980ti. Does that add up?

No. That was never said and cannot be insinuated from the information that we have.

The 980 Ti was never mentioned or referenced in the presentation.

good luck finding these unicorns in stock anywhere until August. My humble opinion at least...

Yeah, it's "in VR" and "in gaming" marketing hocus-pocus. Who knows what "in gaming" means. Whatever it means they are both cherry picked examples.

People also mix their words and fumble. Sometimes they fumble a lot. That presentation was far from rehearsed. Things were obviously said that weren't meant to be said.

No. That was never said and cannot be insinuated from the information that we have.

The 980 Ti was never mentioned or referenced in the presentation.
70% faster than 980 in Witcher 3 equates to 27% faster than a 980 Ti.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I really want to see what a single 1080 and an SLI'ed 1080 can do in 4k. Then I want to see what AMD will offer later this summer before making a decision. BF1 is coming up and I want it to do 60fps without a hitch in that game. I have always timed my graphics card upgrades for most of the BF series. Really looking forward to the [H] review on the 27th when the NDA fully lifts.

The example graphs they used comparing the 1080 to SLI were a bit interesting. In order to get the quote they wanted, they chose a game like Witcher 3 which everyone knows does NOT scale well in SLI compared to historical numbers. This enables them to give you the 980sli quote which meanders around a few truths in the process. 1080 is not double the speed of a 980 in gaming scenarios (read: what we care about). However, they are confirming about a 50-80% improvement depending on game, which is a MASSIVE leap when compared to the last 5 years of the gpu version of tick tick tick tock. Throw in half a ghz of overclock and massive power savings and we have a seriously impressive piecee of hardware.

The enthusiast trend is going to be looking at 4k and surround numbers given the phenomenal new rendering engineering they have delivered. Will we be able to finally max 4k at 60? Probably not at 599 but for 1200. . .we may have finally arrived.

70% faster than 980 in Witcher 3 equates to 27% faster than a 980 Ti.

You'd need a reference point for the 980 Ti against the 980 at the point that was benchmarked to make an assumption.

You can't pole arduous data points and compare them as fact. That's an assumption which is much different. It'd be like saying performance is 2x based on Tflops in SLI, but not taking into account scaling.

I've been holding on to my 770 waiting for this generation. I was really tempted to get a 980ti in December, but held out. Since AMD isn't going to be pushing any performance barriers this year, I guess it'll be one of these. Now I'll have to wait for 1070/1080 comparisons to see if the 1080 is worth $200 more.

Shouldn't the title of the article be:

NVIDIA GTX 1080 and 1070 PAPER Launch

Because I don't see availability anywhere.

call it whatever you like, its not out yet and no where does it say that it is.

1080....Available May 27th 2016
1070....Available June 10th 2016

Nvidia's setup for the Funhouse VR demo. 3x 1080 cards. VR is going to be mighty expensive to make things look decent.

Since I'm rocking a 980, this card seems aimed at me. Am curious about actual benchmarks, but it sounds dandy. Guess I'll see what Craigslist can pull for my 980. I usually shoot for 1/2 the price of a new card, so that should be feasible.

Now that overclocked 980ti's are often below the $600 mark on Newegg and Amazon, with some less than $550, comparisons to the 980 are only half warranted. The 1080 will need to be compared not just to the card it will replace in the new pascal lineup, but also current Nvidia cards at the same or lower price points.

As others have pointed out, I'm also curious to see what this card does to the price of 980ti's.

I don't see what is wrong with the title of the article or the contents. The GTX1080 is real, no where does NV or [H] say it was launched. Launch day is May 27th and June 10th.

If the article was titled "GTX 1080 Launched! Go get yours today!!!!," then maybe they should change the name of the article.

I don't see what is wrong with the title of the article or the contents. The GTX1080 is real, no where does NV or [H] say it was launched. Launch day is May 27th and June 10th.

If the article was titled "GTX 1080 Launched! Go get yours today!!!!," then maybe they should change the name of the article.

I don't think "get yours today" is the requirement. Usually a paper launch is any time a manufacturer releases information on a new SKU along with benchmarks that you can't verify with availability more than a couple of days from release of the info.

I don't think it's necessarily good or bad. It's just the way for manufacturers to get free positive marketing. Everyone has done it one time or another.

Well, tbh, I was expecting Kyle "I-am-objective" Bennett to make some kind of a joke like he did with AMDs Polaris presentation.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
I hope the 1070 has a TDP around 135. Then it'll be an instant buy for me otherwise I'll wait. I don't need anything crazy powerful, but it would be nice to get in that upper level of performance. Looking forward to AMD's response.

Only one 8 pin power connector is going to make cable management a helluva lot easier. I'd be tempted to buy on just for that reason :D

good luck finding these unicorns in stock anywhere until August. My humble opinion at least...
I bet you're right-- about $599 1080s. I suspect $699 1080s will be available for the first couple days, before they quickly run out.

It's fast and efficient. Real world testing will be out soon enough and squash most of the speculation into the garbage compactor.

Any ideas on when the review sites will start to get the cards in hand to test?

i think those 1070s will fly off shelves like hot cakes... The power effiency of these is crazy. Looking forward to real reviews...

Well you wouldn't just launch the GTX1080 and 1070 without atleast a press release telling everyone when they can buy one at least two weeks ahead if not further. This had concrete launch dates so I have no problem with this, it's less than a month away for 1080 likely will be more "reveals" leading up to that date.

It's far from a paper launch. It's a product announcement, telling you what it is and when you can get it... Now if may 27th rolls around and no one can get the card and supply is super limited then yes it's a paper launch.

Hmm.....
I'm thinking the 1080 is only about 5% if that, faster than a 980ti @ 1500/7000.

Alot of this presentation was grey.

Impressive power numbers though.

I'm guessing 15% faster outside of VR.

I loved the Doom footage. Over 200 fps at 1080p! That means that the game will be very playable at 4K with one card, but you'll need two to get the solid 60 fps. It also bodes well for the GTX 1050 and 1060 cards.

I loved the Doom footage. Over 200 fps at 1080p! That means that the game will be very playable at 4K with one card, but you'll need two to get the solid 60 fps. It also bodes well for the GTX 1050 and 1060 cards.

Why are you so sure you will need 2???? You may not.

I'm very interested in that 1070, it should have the same heat output as my 7870 which is what I'm using to game on in my HTPC.

That article on the front page screams "We bought into the PR fully!"
Pretty lame imo.

Back