The great video card dump of 2020 has begun!!!

I know some here are the exact opposite, but PC expenses to me are money I don't plan on ever getting back. If I do resell stuff, great, but I usually buy and forget. Resale value has extremely little impact on my purchase choices.

Besides, it's a relatively cheap hobby (sure is the cheapest of mine compared to cars and music intruments).

People freaking out over their 2080Ti value now probably couldn't really afford it in the first place. The others, paid and enjoyed for a while now.

Same. Once I buy it I just consider it a sunken cost. PCs are one of the cheapest hobbies you can have. If $300 knocked off the resale of your 2080ti is gonna make or break you then you shouldn’t have purchased a $1000 video card in the first place.

Well be singing this same tune with 4000 series comes out 50% faster than the 3000 series. Its a never ending cycle of upgrade, use, hurry up sale, wait, upgrade again.
Not sure why your so salty... jealously slightly... maybe... I dunno. This forum is for enthusiasts and casual builders alike, not for people telling others how to spend their money.

Either way, I got mine well over a year ago on a killer sale and have been enjoying 4K gaming and RT On ever sense. Have not looked back from my 1080 in SLI setup. I wanted to not only go to the best single card solution available, but I also wanted to be on the forefront of experiencing RT and DLSS, even though it was brand new. I love tweaking with stuff and experiencing everything PC gaming can offer.

And yeah, I'll have no problem dropping the cash on a 3090 either. I never worry about frames and I always max my games out. To me, thats how I enjoy PC gaming as a hobby. If I get to a point where I can't max things out smoothly, I build bigger when I can.

Ah, and you hit my point exactly - I am exactly in your mind frame - and will probably buy 3090 and a mini-itx 3070 for myself and new quadro for my. wife. I am reacting to the entitled mentality that because someone paid 1200+ for the 2080ti, they will not take less than xx (this forum seems to be largely shielded from it)..when in reality their 2080ti is nearly worthless as it has been confirmed that the bottom of the current stack will match it and beat it in most instances. (really suckering people into buying their used crap when they woukd be much better served by buying new.)

Last edited:
Well be singing this same tune with 4000 series comes out 50% faster than the 3000 series. Its a never ending cycle of upgrade, use, hurry up sale, wait, upgrade again.
I know some here are the exact opposite, but PC expenses to me are money I don't plan on ever getting back. If I do resell stuff, great, but I usually buy and forget. Resale value has extremely little impact on my purchase choices.

Besides, it's a relatively cheap hobby (sure is the cheapest of mine compared to cars and music intruments).

People freaking out over their 2080Ti value now probably couldn't really afford it in the first place. The others, paid and enjoyed for a while now.

Exactly and well said. If you need to dupe someone into overpaying for your used hardware, you probably could not afford it in the first place.

Congrats, you duped a sucker - there is one born every minute. Or someone with no patience. Or someone who is massively uninformed. In either case, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I must say however, I do really appreciate all those people who way overspent on the 20 series, such that we can enjoy a truly nice price/performance upgrade. Thank you again .

Exactly and well said. If you need to dupe someone into overpaying for your used hardware, you probably could not afford it in the first place.

So, first you claim I "duped" someone into buying my GPU on ebay, now indirectly you're saying that as I duped someone that I probably couldn't afford it in the first place?

That is pretty much what you're saying isn't it?

This. I bought my 2080TI 2 months ago, KNOWING that I was going to get a 3000 series to put a WB on - and knowing that an air-cooled 2080 would be fast for the moment, and go into a backup system/be sold for whatever when it got there. No big loss, had plenty of fun.

I've been waiting for the 3k's to drop so I can grab a 2070 Super or similar performance in AMD.

It's weird that the 1070's are still going for $130-150. Right after the 2k release I bought a 1070 G1 Gaming for ~$200 and it was a screaming deal at that time

The same. I have never sold any of my used hardware. I've given away some parts, sure, but never sold. What I don't give away goes in the dumpster after a few years.

The same. I have never sold any of my used hardware. I've given away some parts, sure, but never sold. What I don't give away goes in the dumpster after a few years.
I’ll sell it on here for a pittance from time to time if I have no use and it doesn’t make sense as a backup. Someone can always use it. Or pass on to a friend.

Reactions: Auer
like this
2080 Ti probably has the longest reign ever as a flagship anyway at a full 24 months. Not counting Titan RTX of course, as that's a prosumer card.

1080 Ti had 18 months and that's also up there. Only thing longer is the 8800 Ultra which had 20 months before the GTX 280, and definitely was not dethroned by the 9000 series as the 9800 GTX+ probably was a draw with it overall.

If you bought the 2080 Ti in 2020 you might be sour, but that's your fault for not understanding Nvidia cycles. 2018 and H1 2019 buyers should have no regrets as this is an unprecedented run as a flagship.

o_O so what's my upgrade path guys for 4k gaming?! keep my current GPU (on signature) or give in to evil and get a use Nvidia card o_O 👍

o_O so what's my upgrade path guys for 4k gaming?! keep my current GPU (on signature) or give in to evil and get a use Nvidia card o_O 👍

What level of 4k gaming are you looking for, and what monitor are you using? If it's 4k 40-60 FPS, 3070 or 6700 will likely do it; if its 4k steady 60 FPS, probably 3080 or 6800; if it's 4k >60 FPS, 3090 or 6900.

Things are starting to settle that AMD will have close to tit-for-tat models competing against nV (with perhaps a bit less performance, but more power efficient and a bit less cost), so you're not necessarily stuck with nV.

Always be upgrading. Green or Red doesn't matter, if you aren't spending you aren't saving.

What level of 4k gaming are you looking for, and what monitor are you using? If it's 4k 40-60 FPS, 3070 or 6700 will likely do it; if its 4k steady 60 FPS, probably 3080 or 6800; if it's 4k >60 FPS, 3090 or 6900.

Things are starting to settle that AMD will have close to tit-for-tat models competing against nV (with perhaps a bit less performance, but more power efficient and a bit less cost), so you're not necessarily stuck with nV.

I have a Monoprice 32in CrystalPro Monitor - 4K UHD, 60Hz, HDR, IPS DP2 (Product # 27772) as long as I get 30 frames+ I'm fine with it don't care about steady 60 FPS and have no issues switching to Nvidia. My current 5700 XT was my first AMD card on my main rig since I ran 4870 crossfire eons ago. I also have a Vega 64 on my spare pc hook up to my tv but not sure if I sell the Vega 64 and replace it with my 5700 XT once I upgrade or leave it as is. It's a 1800X water cool with 32 gig and Vega 64 cram into a tiny mini Evga hadron case :confused:

They wanted the extra performance/RTX and paid the premium for it. There's no need for you to be a douchebag about it.

He is very clearly a TROLL trying hard to stir the pot,and little more at this point.
My rule? If it will earn me a punch in the mouth IRL, I will not type it out in the reply box here or elsewhere online.

Reactions: Auer
like this
He is very clearly a TROLL trying hard to stir the pot,and little more at this point.
My rule? If it will earn me a punch in the mouth IRL, I will not type it out in the reply box here or elsewhere online.

Actually, that has not been my intention at all, just reacting to my observations. If I am being perceived as a troll I will shut up on the topic then.

It's times like this when I really wish they didn't drop-the-ball with DX12 multi-GPU. I'd be picking up a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd 2080 RTX to compliment my existing card. My 3x GTX 680 cards got me through most of the cryptocurrency GPU price-inflation era, by allowing me to buy a 2nd and then a 3rd used GTX 680 to compliment my first. I used them all the way up until I got my 2080 RTX ~2 years ago. Prior to that I ran a Quad-Crossfire setup. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to run multiple cards (and have it actually work in games).

It's times like this when I really wish they didn't drop-the-ball with DX12 multi-GPU. I'd be picking up a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd 2080 RTX to compliment my existing card. My 3x GTX 680 cards got me through the cryptocurrency GPU price-inflation era, by allowing me to buy a 2nd and then a 3rd used GTX 680 to compliment my first. I used them all the way up until I got my 2080 RTX ~2 years ago. Prior to that I ran a Quad-Crossfire setup. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to run multiple cards (and have it actually work in games).

Incidentally, you being able to hold out buying a new card by buying older gens to use with mGPU is in fact one of the reasons mGPU is no longer promoted or supported by nV or AMD. I used to do the same when Crossfire and SLI had decent support: e.g. scoop up a used 290 during the fire sale leading up to a new release and keep on truckin' for another few months until stock/prices stabilized. They want you to buy new: more money to them, they want you to pay launch prices, and it's easier to drop support of old gen if power users upgrade.

It's times like this when I really wish they didn't drop-the-ball with DX12 multi-GPU. I'd be picking up a 2nd, maybe even a 3rd 2080 RTX to compliment my existing card. My 3x GTX 680 cards got me through most of the cryptocurrency GPU price-inflation era, by allowing me to buy a 2nd and then a 3rd used GTX 680 to compliment my first. I used them all the way up until I got my 2080 RTX ~2 years ago. Prior to that I ran a Quad-Crossfire setup. I really enjoyed the flexibility of being able to run multiple cards (and have it actually work in games).

From what I understand. DX12 multi-GPU is all on the develper to implement it into their games. Nothing Nvidia can do if the game doesn't support it?

For those that don't understand why the 3XXX is so different, watch this video.

Basically there is a 1.4x fps increase from the 780ti > 980ti > 1080ti > 2080ti so far. Then compare the MSRP prices.

$699 > $649 > $699 > $999

So the 2080ti while maintaining the same 1.4x fps increase had a massive price increase over the previous generations going back 7 years. The 600 series didn't have a 680ti only a 680 for $500. So now we have a 3070 that looks to be what should have been a 3080ti in terms of a 1.4x fps increase and it is at $500. The 3080 is looks to be double the fps for $699. That is crazy considering the past trend of Nvidia for practically the past decade! There is a reason the great card sell off is happening right now. At no time in the past decade has previous generation cards lost so much value in comparison to the new cards coming out. Personally though, even as a 2080ti owner, I find it fantastic as I can't wait to nab one of these new cards.

it's not double the FPS, and that metric was given in regards to the 2080, not 2080 TI. We'll see though, he claimed double the performance, but didn't give any more information.

From what I understand. DX12 multi-GPU is all on the develper to implement it into their games. Nothing Nvidia can do if the game doesn't support it?

i mean technically there's a lot nvidia can do but they don't want to do it. was a pain in the ass and cost them a ton of money/time for them and AMD to continue supporting multi-gpu on their end. it also hurt them profit wise in the long run because people would just buy a second gpu instead of upgrading to the new series of cards.

Correct, aka the ball was dropped. The idea that game developers would all of a sudden embrace a bunch of extra work that was previously done at the driver level by the GPU manufacturers was a dead idea from day one. This wasn't just a DX12 issue either, it was part of the "closer to metal" fad that included Vulkan, etc.

For what it's worth, Nvidia continues to support SLI via DX11 quite well. My old GTX 680 cards continue to live on in my backup computer and I'm still impressed by how well SLI works in DX11. I could potentially get another 2080 and run all of my games in DX11 instead of DX12, but with the games I play, it would not be worth it to trade off the CPU utilization benefits that come from using DX12.

it's not double the FPS, and that metric was given in regards to the 2080, not 2080 TI. We'll see though, he claimed double the performance, but didn't give any more information.

Did you not see the live Doom Eternals gameplay FPS difference at 4K with everything on between the 2080ti and the 3080? In many cases it was double the FPS. Someone else posted it and you can see real world game play numbers with that demo. This is also most likely with less than optimal pre-release drivers.

Not seeing any good deals locally, yet. Tried to snag an EVGA 1080 ti for $200 on fee bay but that got snatched up quicker than a six pack on pay day. Hopefully things will get better once the 3xxx have been out for a few weeks.

Lol ...n00b is right...look at how the 1080 ti held up...with Covid on going do not count on steady supply of anything. And I do not see 2080 Tis dropping below $600 once the panic selling right now ends.

Why on Earth would I buy a less efficient worse performing card for $100 more than the more efficient better performing card?

The 2080Ti became a $400 card as soon as the 3070 is available.

Actually, that has not been my intention at all, just reacting to my observations. If I am being perceived as a troll I will shut up on the topic then.

I think you are spot on with your observations. I think the average 2080Ti owner was expecting maybe a $750 resale value after the new cards dropped assuming that Nvidia would go even more ludicrous on pricing. They didn't. Now those 2080 Tis arent worth anywhere near that number.

The responses to that will be either, 1). Well, I got my money out of it because I had it for 2 years. Or 2). Jensen just bent me over.

If I owned one of those cards, I would be selling it now because this is the highest price they will be. Once stock of the new cards normalizes, it's a $400 card. Might as well get $600 now.

Somebody in FS was trying to sell their 2060 for $300. I laughed to myself thinking that's about what I might pay for a 2080. Not a 2060.

I think you are spot on with your observations. I think the average 2080Ti owner was expecting maybe a $750 resale value after the new cards dropped assuming that Nvidia would go even more ludicrous on pricing. They didn't. Now those 2080 Tis arent worth anywhere near that number.

The responses to that will be either, 1). Well, I got my money out of it because I had it for 2 years. Or 2). Jensen just bent me over.

If I owned one of those cards, I would be selling it now because this is the highest price they will be. Once stock of the new cards normalizes, it's a $400 card. Might as well get $600 now.

Somebody in FS was trying to sell their 2060 for $300. I laughed to myself thinking that's about what I might pay for a 2080. Not a 2060.

I just watched an EVGA hybrid 2080 tis go for £460 on Ebay -- crazy. That's a bit of an outlier, but a sign of how much these cards have dropped. This wouldn't have sold for a penny/pence under £900 two weeks ago.

The guy I sold my last 2080 Super to for £600 last month must be kicking himself.

I'm in a bit of a bind.

Primary rig is down with the death of my Sapphire Nitro+ V56. I had been planning to ride it out with Vega until 3080 was in reliable stock. I'm uninterested in purchasing anything below a 2070 in performance, because, while yes, its better to wait, I also believe that spending a hundo on a stopgap card just means i will have a 100 dollar shelf ornament that will annoy me constantly as soon as I can source my target card. Getting my hands on Ampere at launch at MSRP seems far from a guarantee at this point.

A Founders Edition 2080 Super is IMO, an industrial art piece, and would work great for my resolution (3840x1200 @ 144), and I'm finding myself more okay with slightly overpaying its current value relative to Ampere than getting rekt in the dystopian scalper wasteland of sold out 3080 and 3070s. Am I crazy here? My though is that I'll be perfectly happy running ultra settings 60+ frames with adaptive sync and while I don't get omega RTX ganez, I'll still be above console settings for quite a while. For clarification, I'm not talking about paying 699 for a new one a week ahead of the impending price drop, that is entirely different level of dumb.

I'm talking about buying secondhand one for 450-ish right now and avoiding the madness. Hear me out - I reckon that 2080s value now is ~100 dollars more than what it would cost for a 3060. I was fine with Vega till it died on me, I imagine I'll be fine with just about doubling performance and saving power consumption from vega with the 2080s for roughly $250 less than it would cost to triple it, and skip fighting over availability.

Talk me off the ledge here, staring at my dormant tower is like a window into the abyss.

I'm laughing at all the idiots complaining that their 2080ti is suddenly no longer good enough. I have a 5700xt for 1440p and I'm still perfectly content. And thats just in my gaming pc. Downstairs in my HTPC is a ryzen 3600/Sapphire 480x for 1080@60, no complaints there either.

I'm laughing at all the idiots complaining that their 2080ti is suddenly no longer good enough. I have a 5700xt for 1440p and I'm still perfectly content. And thats just in my gaming pc. Downstairs in my HTPC is a ryzen 3600/Sapphire 480x for 1080@60, no complaints there either.
I think they expected a 3080ti with 35% more performance than 2080ti for $1199 and a 3080 with 10% more performance than 2080ti for $799. They are just salty that they paid $1400 for a Custom 2080ti which will perform like a 3070 for $499. Tough shit I would say, there was no need to buy this overpriced GPU.

I think they expected a 3080ti with 35% more performance than 2080ti for $1199 and a 3080 with 10% more performance than 2080ti for $799. They are just salty that they paid $1400 for a Custom 2080ti which will perform like a 3070 for $499. Tough shit I would say, there was no need to buy this overpriced GPU.

oh 1000% anyone with a who thinks they were getting $1200 of value is fucking retarded. Nvidia set that price on a lark because they had no competition from AMD.

Whine people whine oh the tears of unfathomable sadness

latest?cb=20100318024246.gif

I'm in a bit of a bind.

Primary rig is down with the death of my Sapphire Nitro+ V56. I had been planning to ride it out with Vega until 3080 was in reliable stock. I'm uninterested in purchasing anything below a 2070 in performance, because, while yes, its better to wait, I also believe that spending a hundo on a stopgap card just means i will have a 100 dollar shelf ornament that will annoy me constantly as soon as I can source my target card. Getting my hands on Ampere at launch at MSRP seems far from a guarantee at this point.

A Founders Edition 2080 Super is IMO, an industrial art piece, and would work great for my resolution (3840x1200 @ 144), and I'm finding myself more okay with slightly overpaying its current value relative to Ampere than getting rekt in the dystopian scalper wasteland of sold out 3080 and 3070s. Am I crazy here? My though is that I'll be perfectly happy running ultra settings 60+ frames with adaptive sync and while I don't get omega RTX ganez, I'll still be above console settings for quite a while. For clarification, I'm not talking about paying 699 for a new one a week ahead of the impending price drop, that is entirely different level of dumb.

I'm talking about buying secondhand one for 450-ish right now and avoiding the madness. Hear me out - I reckon that 2080s value now is ~100 dollars more than what it would cost for a 3060. I was fine with Vega till it died on me, I imagine I'll be fine with just about doubling performance and saving power consumption from vega with the 2080s for roughly $250 less than it would cost to triple it, and skip fighting over availability.

Talk me off the ledge here, staring at my dormant tower is like a window into the abyss.

Sounds like a plan to me. To get a bit metaphorical it’s about the end not the means. Stock is going to be hard to come by and prices have fallen off a cliff for used 20xx cards. I think you’ll be more than happy going from a Vega 56 to one. Time has value and sitting around while your tower is an ornament isn’t time you can get back.

No kidding. A 2080ti is about as powerful as the Playstation 6's GPU will be.

It’s all about use. I game at 1440P because of how close I am to the screens and cost of the monitors (and I like 27”). I’ll get a 3080 because I planned on it, and the 2080 will go to my wife (VR) and her 1080 will move into my HTPC and so on.

Sounds like a plan to me. To get a bit metaphorical it’s about the end not the means. Stock is going to be hard to come by and prices have fallen off a cliff for used 20xx cards. I think you’ll be more than happy going from a Vega 56 to one. Time has value and sitting around while your tower is an ornament isn’t time you can get back.
For sure. I guess I'm also pushing back against the notion that I'm a sucker because I still find a high end 2080 at a nice discount as a plus value for me. Maybe if I had a working card my calculus would be a little different. But I'm not trying to wait until November to be able to comfortably go get a decent card when there are plenty in front of me now. The time/value tax I pay by buying Turing a week too early is equal or less than the time/value/mental frustration tax I'll be paying to not be unsuccessful securing a 3080. And youre right, 699 is the absolute cheapest it would go for. I imagine they'll be selling for 900 as soon as they sell out, and the MSRP for new high-end Turing remains propped up by Ampere scarcity for a bit longer. 2080 TI at 900, 2080 Super at 599, etc

most id pay for a 2080ti is about tree fiddy
That just isn't a realistic scenario until 3070 are easy to buy. Yeah it makes sense from a performance per dollar standpoint, but availability counts for something. As soon as 3080s and 3090s are on back order (which means after the first day) it wont be hard to continue selling Turing at 10-15 percent discount from MSRP while its still the fasting thing going (except for Ampere). Unless RDNA 2 is faster (and easier to buy) than Turing at cheaper prices, why would they discount it?

The existence of a new, faster, graphics card causing all existing cards to cease function has long been a forum-world proof for quantum entanglement

Happily a few of us are forum-world outliers where the game played last week in fact works exactly the same this week.

I often look at my technology cast offs thinking I should sell them. I just can’t be bothered. I wish the 40 year old virgin style eBay consignment stores were a thing.

I'm hearing the 3080 maybe faster then the 2080ti by about 25-30%.

So that little 3070 for $500 is not topping a 2080ti.

Those that selling their 2080ti for peanuts before release are getting taken I feel.

I'm in a bit of a bind.

Buy a new EVGA card register when you get it then sign up for the stepup program. You will be tied to the difference in price from your card a an XCBlack version of whatever you want to stepup to but you wont lose any money or playing time.

Back