The great video card dump of 2020 has begun!!!

For those that don't understand why the 3XXX is so different, watch this video.

Basically there is a 1.4x fps increase from the 780ti > 980ti > 1080ti > 2080ti so far. Then compare the MSRP prices.

$699 > $649 > $699 > $999

So the 2080ti while maintaining the same 1.4x fps increase had a massive price increase over the previous generations going back 7 years. The 600 series didn't have a 680ti only a 680 for $500. So now we have a 3070 that looks to be what should have been a 3080ti in terms of a 1.4x fps increase and it is at $500. The 3080 is looks to be double the fps for $699. That is crazy considering the past trend of Nvidia for practically the past decade! There is a reason the great card sell off is happening right now. At no time in the past decade has previous generation cards lost so much value in comparison to the new cards coming out. Personally though, even as a 2080ti owner, I find it fantastic as I can't wait to nab one of these new cards.

Basically there is a 1.4x fps increase from the 780ti > 980ti > 1080ti > 2080ti so far. Then compare the MSRP prices.

So the 2080ti while maintaining the same 1.4x fps increase had a massive price increase over the previous generations going back 7 years. The 600 series didn't have a 680ti only a 680 for $500. So now we have a 3070 that looks to be what should have been a 3080ti in terms of a 1.4x fps increase and it is at $500. The 3080 is looks to be double the fps for $699. That is crazy considering the past trend of Nvidia for practically the past decade! There is a reason the great card sell off is happening right now. At no time in the past decade has previous generation cards lost so much value in comparison to the new cards coming out. Personally though, even as a 2080ti owner, I find it fantastic as I can't wait to nab one of these new cards.

This is why myself and my group are not even considering used GPUs at almost any price, we can wait for stock. We are happy to let the 2080ti owners keep their cards as backups we dont want them.

This is why myself and my group are not even considering used GPUs at almost any price, we can wait for stock. We are happy to let the 2080ti owners keep their cards as backups we dont want them.

I can understand why some people are having a hard time swallowing the pill now though of the lost value. $999 was such a massive increase over previous 80ti cards and the trend to have it beat now by a $500 card means that card has the largest value drop of any card in Nvidia history. Also, as a hobby builder, most of us that like to be on the bleeding edge hope to sell off our old gear to fund the next top end and hope those funds to be about 70% of what is needed. That has been the trend for really almost 20 years of my experience. This is literally the first time the value of the top end card is going to only be about 40% of the value of the next top end if they are wanting to get the 3090 at $1500. For those that have owned the card since the start 2 years ago, I guess it isn't such a big deal, but I know anyone that bought one like a week ago for full price is probably sick to their stomach right now.

This is an amusing thread to say the least, happy with my 2080 ti for now and wouldn't mind shelling a few hundred
Lol you and your group? Assuming you represent most people...this thread is amusing.

This is an amusing thread to say the least, happy with my 2080 ti for now and wouldn't mind shelling a few hundred

Lol you and your group? Assuming you represent most people...this thread is amusing.

No, group of about a dozen gamers, a club if you will. Your kind of missing the point, 2080ti irrelevant now. Glad you like yours, it is good to like what you buy.

Posting here this here also, but I'll answer your question its worth less if you try and sell it now than if you wait. Buyers have forced the market to an artificial disadvantage for sellers. No one knows how hard the 30 series card are going to be to get or if the benchmarks hold up in all situations not just vulcan or d12 async games. If I were trying to by your card I wouldn't offer more than 275 with the outside pressure from the 2080ti's in the market. If you haven't sold before the presentation you really should hold off now. There are too many people trying to dump their cards. You missed your window don't take an unnecessary hit let the cards launch, see where the used prices settle because they really can only go up from here and then you can decide if the value is worth it to you.
I couldn't have said it any better.
The flooded market will definitely drive prices down right away. Some of those will even sell as low as $375-425 right away. If a shortage of RTX30 series cards drive prices up...barring RDNA2 release, prices will tick upward a bit for the RTX20 series. They're never going back to that stratospheric number but you may get a bit more than an immediate knee-jerk sale.

Stores here are having sales, but only taking off like $80 or CAD here and there...guess they do not want to get screwed with all these cards in inventory..but with prices still that high

1599184252709.png

Stores here are having sales, but only taking off like $80 or CAD here and there...guess they do not want to get screwed with all these cards in inventory..but with prices still that high

View attachment 276056
Stores have sunk costs and cannot just fire sale them. Around here, unsold inventory gets sent back to the manufacturer for a refund.

It's like just the mere thought of competition this time around real or not, lit a fire under their asses. No more sandbagging this generation!

Those that managed to sell their cards before the pricing and perf broke news are the winners here.

I think we are all a little bit too excited about those new GPUs.
The 20 series was so overpriced that we forget that the pricing of the new ones is still a little too high. We don't know the real performance yet, it still has to be seen, even if it looks pretty promising.
I also think that Nvidia might have shifted the naming and pushed the cards one tier up.
Normally the XX80 cards where a little faster then the previous Ti model, like 10% and they were priced at $499. Now the 3070 is anticipated to have a little higher performance for $499 than the 2080ti, which makes it basically equivalent to the older XX80 models. The 3080 seems to be 40% over the 2080ti, which makes it basically a Ti card, also the price of $699 is more a XX80 Ti price than a non Ti price as mentioned above.
I think Nvidia won't release a Ti model anymore to stop confusing the average customer. Maybe they will release a 3085 with 20GB Ram later. The 3090 is basically the new Titan card.

That is absolutely fine mindset, no problem with it, what I have a problem with is now if you start complaining that you can't get 800 for your old card when a superior card is now available for $500.
I never sell them as I don't really need the cash... lol. If I do sell old hardware, I just make it an ebay auction and I get what I get. I generally put them in other PCs or keep them as backups if something goes wrong in my current setup.

Now the 3070 is anticipated to have a little higher performance for $499 than the 2080ti, which makes it basically equivalent to the older XX80 models. The 3080 seems to be 40% over the 2080ti, which makes it basically a Ti card, also the price of $699 is more a XX80 Ti price than a non Ti price as mentioned above.
I purchased my 2080ti 15 months ago. I went specifically with EVGA to get the step-up as I expected the 30x0 cards to be released at any time. That never happened.

Roll on over a year later and they've finally been announced and everyone is losing their shit over them being so powerful - when they're pretty much on track to what is expected as they've just skipped last years refresh/upgrade due to this extended 2+ year cycle.

In other news. My 2080Ti has just sold for £550. So half what I paid.

I purchased my 2080ti 15 months ago. I went specifically with EVGA to get the step-up as I expected the 30x0 cards to be released at any time. That never happened.

Roll on over a year later and they've finally been announced and everyone is losing their shit over them being so powerful - when they're pretty much on track to what is expected as they've just skipped last years refresh/upgrade due to this extended 2+ year cycle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units

What are you talking about? The cycle has been 2 years for awhile. The 2XXX series was released in 2018. Anyone thinking the 3XXX series would be released instead of a Ti/Super+refresh of mid tiers which has been typical of the off year is misinformed. According to their own history and road map the 3XXX was due out now. The next gen shouldn't be out until 2022 with a refresh for next year instead. Buying and owning the 2080ti for a year or more is fine and about the most value you could get out of that card up until now. It was released 2 years ago almost on Sep 27th 2018. Why does no one actually look at the wiki before posting mis information? Literally Nvidia has been on the same schedule of new releases in September for every 2 years now.

First 2xxx series was 2018, the first 1xxx series was released in 2016, and the first 9xx series was released in 2014. All of those in September. They have stretched out those series for many years afterward with different types of refreshes, but literally new gens have been coming every 2 years for awhile now.

Last edited:
Bought a 2080 on launch, damaged it in the spring and bought a 2080 Super out of necessity. Toyed with the idea of getting a 2080 Ti at the time, glad I didn't do that.

Pretty happy with the performance I'm getting from the 2080S, although the 3080 is really tempting.

Cyberpunk might be the deciding factor for me. If the 2080S can run it at high settings around 1440p, I might stick with that. Otherwise, it's 3080 time.

I'm also very curious to see what performance boost a 3090 buys you. Given the high bar set by the 3080, the 3090 must be pretty impressive to justify the extra $800.

Not hard to tell looking at paper. So no the $800 doesn’t get you any impressive performance jump. On paper it’s around 20%. May be 25 max. But likely pitched as 8k card with the large frame buffer.

Not hard to tell looking at paper. So no the $800 doesn’t get you any impressive performance jump. On paper it’s around 20%. May be 25 max. But likely pitched as 8k card with the large frame buffer.
8k was pitched, but the 3090 seems to be more targeted and multi-use users like the Titan releases have been. 8k alone doesn't have much traction for desktop use but the techniques used to render at such high resolutions will likely be very useful for VR.

I never sell them as I don't really need the cash... lol. If I do sell old hardware, I just make it an ebay auction and I get what I get. I generally put them in other PCs or keep them as backups if something goes wrong in my current setup.

Congrats, you duped a sucker - there is one born every minute. Or someone with no patience. Or someone who is massively uninformed. In either case, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I must say however, I do really appreciate all those people who way overspent on the 20 series, such that we can enjoy a truly nice price/performance upgrade. Thank you again .

Now if nvidia can keep from raising the damn prices again we might be ok in the future. The 2000 series pricing was way outta line and people shouldn’t of purchased them but they flocked to it

Congrats, you duped a sucker - there is one born every minute. Or someone with no patience. Or someone who is massively uninformed. In either case, a fool and his money are soon parted.

I must say however, I do really appreciate all those people who way overspent on the 20 series, such that we can enjoy a truly nice price/performance upgrade. Thank you again .

They wanted the extra performance/RTX and paid the premium for it. There's no need for you to be a douchebag about it.

They wanted the extra performance/RTX and paid the premium for it. There's no need for you to be a douchebag about it.

I grant you I was a bit snarky, but they needed the extra performance such they couldn't wait a couple of weeks for it? To pay so much less and get so much more?

If you are using it for DL or any other comercial applications; then ebay/second hand is not allowed by most corporate policy in most instances - baring the exceptions we have taked about. So why exactly would anyone buy a 2080ti for leisure/gaming purposes for more than its new equivalent for any reason I did not list?

I grant you I was a bit snarky, but they needed the extra performance such they couldn't wait a couple of weeks for it? To pay so much less and get so much more?

If you are using it for DL or any other comercial applications; then ebay/second hand is not allowed by most corporate policy in most instances - baring the exceptions we have taked about. So why exactly would anyone buy a 2080ti for leisure/gaming purposes for more than its new equivalent for any reason I did not list?

As I said, I got mine a year ago off ebay for $750 after shipping and tax. It was a low ball offer of like $700. I certainly got my value out of it. Probably going to get a 3080 here on release. May sell the 2080ti or might not. At the price I paid, it isn't out of line for previous gens. People that paid $1000 or more though.. that has to hurt now.

As I said, I got mine a year ago off ebay for $750 after shipping and tax. It was a low ball offer of like $700. I certainly got my value out of it. Probably going to get a 3080 here on release. May sell the 2080ti or might not. At the price I paid, it isn't out of line for previous gens. People that paid $1000 or more though.. that has to hurt now.
No referencing you, repling to a different post.

No referencing you, repling to a different post.

I know. Your post sounded generalized so I was using my experience to offset that. Not everyone got screwed with their 2080ti purchase. Those that did so a year or more ago I would say weren't really screwed. Anyone that bought one in the last month though to play something like fall guys or league of legends though I think might be feeling the pain if they pay attention to tech releases at all. Many aren't though.

2080ti
I know. Your post sounded generalized so I was using my experience to offset that. Not everyone got screwed with their 2080ti purchase. Those that did so a year or more ago I would say weren't really screwed. Anyone that bought one in the last month though to play something like fall guys or league of legends though I think might be feeling the pain if they pay attention to tech releases at all. Many aren't though.

I feel bad for anyone that bought one in the last month. Like you said tho many aren’t paying attention to tech releases and end up overpaying big time.

Well be singing this same tune with 4000 series comes out 50% faster than the 3000 series. Its a never ending cycle of upgrade, use, hurry up sale, wait, upgrade again.

While it looks like you put a bit of thought in this post all I can say is just, no. The person looking at the used market already is trying to make the most out of their budget. You saying they should just pay more and buy new is just silly at best. In this situation its an EVGA card with warranty so why would some that wants to build now but stretch every penny not get a card underwarranty(EVGA warranties follow the card). The release date for those at this point rumored 30 series cards below the 3070 don't even have a date yet. You really want someone to wait an unspecifed time for something that just might perform as good but may also perform the same and be more. If it was overclocked is irrelevant, there are people that don't want to spend more than $275 can you say for certain those card new @ $275 will beat a 2080 Super?
Man, are you being paid by nvidia to post this? The more you buy, the more you save! Am I right, guyz?!

First, until benchmarks are available, it's pretty irresponsible to go around telling everyone you know that anything besides a 30 series card is obsolete and that they need to just throw out their 2080 Ti immediately. I can imagine all sorts of asterisks attached to those performance claims nvidia made yesterday.

Second, it's yet to be seen what real pricing will be. Yes, the prices look great for now, but what we don't know is what the retailers will do with the inevitably limited supply. I bet if you want one of these cards before the end of the year, you're going to end up paying a price that looks a lot more like the 20 series' original pricing. Remember what happened in the summer of 2016, with the 10 series?

Third, most people aren't as abusive to graphics cards as you seem to think. New is obviously better than used, but especially if the used prices really do get pushed as low as you seem to think, the 2080 Ti will be the deal of the century for those users who can handle the risk of a <gasp> used graphics card. And I say that as someone who has a collection of graphics cards that I bought in "dead, for parts" condition, which now work. I'm even using one to type this post.

I'd agree that there are unknowns on exact performance of the new cards, but nVidia has outright stated the 30xx series will be notably better than Turing with a $500 card matching 2080ti. They don't make fixed statements like this without it being reality lest shareholders start selling. Regardless of what street price will be after the initial launch cards, people know cards will sell at MSRP in time (and with nV on Samsung 8nm, chip supply should be good). I've gotten info from a major retailer, in fact, that numbers they are getting at launch and what they've been told to expect in following batches are very generous, and this round will be nothing like Turing in regards to supply.

As for buying used,bitbisba viable option, but a card drops 15% in value just by "walking off the lot". Having a card for a few months/years, depreciates it further. No way I'd pay anywhere near new for a used card, even if the seller promised it had been kept in a hermetically sealed container, never used, and blessed daily by nuns (as many falsely do, I'm sure). The safest bet, when buying used is to assume the card was run thoroughly - doesn't mean it will be a turd, but the risk is higher and life will be shorter than a new card, irrespective of any remaining warranty.

I see the current market value of a used 2080ti should be nowhere higher than $500, taking into account the extra VRAM and the fact 30xx series is not available just yet. Once 3070 is out, prices will drop further. Of course better AIB models may cost somewhat more, but not much. But this is just my experience buying/selling cards in forums, eBay, CompuServe and Prodigy boards for the past 30 years.

Last edited:
I'd agree that there are unknowns on exact performance of the new cards, but nVidia has outright stated the 30xx series will be notably better than Turing with a $500 card matching 2080ti. They don't make fixed statements like this without it being reality lest shareholders start selling. Regardless of what street price will be after the initial launch cards, people know cards will sell at MSRP in time (and with nV on Samsung 8nm, chip supply should be good). I've gotten info from a major retailer, in fact, that numbers they are getting at launch and what they've been told to expect in following batches are very generous, and this round will be nothing like Turing in regards to supply.

As for buying used,bitbisba viable option, but a card drops 15% in value just by "walking off the lot". Having a card for a few months/years, depreciates it further. No way I'd pay anywhere near new for a used card, even if the seller promised it had been kept in a hermetically sealed container, never used, and blessed daily by nuns (as many falsely do, I'm sure). The safest bet, when buying used is to assume the card was run thoroughly - doesn't mean it will be a turd, but the risk is higher and life will be shorter than a new card, irrespective of any remaining warranty.

I see the current market value of a used 2080ti should be nowhere higher than $500, taking into account the extra VRAM and the fact 30xx series is not available just yet. Once 3070 is out, prices will drop further. Of course better AIB models may cost somewhat more, but not much. But this is just my experience buying/selling cards in forums, eBay, CompuServe and Prodigy boards for the past 30 years.

I do think if you could snag a 2080 ti at firesale prices (300-400) that's a good deal. You don't know how bad availability will be with the 3070 and it will be $100-200 more.

Basically there is a 1.4x fps increase from the 780ti > 980ti > 1080ti > 2080ti so far.
There isn't. It was larger for 980Ti>1080Ti and smaller for 1080Ti>2080Ti

So now we have a 3070 that looks to be what should have been a 3080ti in terms of a 1.4x fps increase and it is at $500.
1.4x increase over what?

The 3080 is looks to be double the fps for $699.
It's not even double over 2080.

That is crazy considering the past trend of Nvidia for practically the past decade! There is a reason the great card sell off is happening right now. At no time in the past decade has previous generation cards lost so much value in comparison to the new cards coming out.
Because there had rarely been such a poor value lineup as the 20 series.

Not sure why your so salty... jealously slightly... maybe... I dunno. This forum is for enthusiasts and casual builders alike, not for people telling others how to spend their money.

Either way, I got mine well over a year ago on a killer sale and have been enjoying 4K gaming and RT On ever sense. Have not looked back from my 1080 in SLI setup. I wanted to not only go to the best single card solution available, but I also wanted to be on the forefront of experiencing RT and DLSS, even though it was brand new. I love tweaking with stuff and experiencing everything PC gaming can offer.

And yeah, I'll have no problem dropping the cash on a 3090 either. I never worry about frames and I always max my games out. To me, thats how I enjoy PC gaming as a hobby. If I get to a point where I can't max things out smoothly, I build bigger when I can.

I know some here are the exact opposite, but PC expenses to me are money I don't plan on ever getting back. If I do resell stuff, great, but I usually buy and forget. Resale value has extremely little impact on my purchase choices.

Besides, it's a relatively cheap hobby (sure is the cheapest of mine compared to cars and music intruments).

People freaking out over their 2080Ti value now probably couldn't really afford it in the first place. The others, paid and enjoyed for a while now.

I know some here are the exact opposite, but PC expenses to me are money I don't plan on ever getting back. If I do resell stuff, great, but I usually buy and forget. Resale value has extremely little impact on my purchase choices.

Besides, it's a relatively cheap hobby (sure is the cheapest of mine compared to cars and music intruments).

People freaking out over their 2080Ti value now probably couldn't really afford it in the first place. The others, paid and enjoyed for a while now.

People freaking out about losing 40-50% on their 2080ti's value should take a time machine back to November 2006 to see how people who had bought a 7800 GTX just 8 months prior made out when 8800 GTX hit.

Back