- Aug 30, 2018
Buy a new EVGA card register when you get it then sign up for the stepup program. You will be tied to the difference in price from your card a an XCBlack version of whatever you want to stepup to but you wont lose any money or playing time.I'm in a bit of a bind.
Primary rig is down with the death of my Sapphire Nitro+ V56. I had been planning to ride it out with Vega until 3080 was in reliable stock. I'm uninterested in purchasing anything below a 2070 in performance, because, while yes, its better to wait, I also believe that spending a hundo on a stopgap card just means i will have a 100 dollar shelf ornament that will annoy me constantly as soon as I can source my target card. Getting my hands on Ampere at launch at MSRP seems far from a guarantee at this point.
A Founders Edition 2080 Super is IMO, an industrial art piece, and would work great for my resolution (3840x1200 @ 144), and I'm finding myself more okay with slightly overpaying its current value relative to Ampere than getting rekt in the dystopian scalper wasteland of sold out 3080 and 3070s. Am I crazy here? My though is that I'll be perfectly happy running ultra settings 60+ frames with adaptive sync and while I don't get omega RTX ganez, I'll still be above console settings for quite a while. For clarification, I'm not talking about paying 699 for a new one a week ahead of the impending price drop, that is entirely different level of dumb.
I'm talking about buying secondhand one for 450-ish right now and avoiding the madness. Hear me out - I reckon that 2080s value now is ~100 dollars more than what it would cost for a 3060. I was fine with Vega till it died on me, I imagine I'll be fine with just about doubling performance and saving power consumption from vega with the 2080s for roughly $250 less than it would cost to triple it, and skip fighting over availability.
Talk me off the ledge here, staring at my dormant tower is like a window into the abyss.