The great video card dump of 2020 has begun!!!

Honestly the 2070 isn’t that big of a jump from a 1070. I made a similar increase myself not long ago and was a little underwhelmed. I’d recommend with how low the prices might go aiming a little higher to be happy with the performance increase.
Did you keep the 2070 or did you upgrade again?

Temped to see what I can get for my 1080ti right now, to fund a 3070/3080 later.

There will always be fools. Good job in netting some 'marks' carni style. Yes, you should have asked for more if you could have gotten it.. a fool and his money are soon parted.

Meh, fools or someone that needed them now. The same guy bought all 3 of them, someone buying 3 of these cards (specifically blower cards) is probably using them identically as I am - scientific computing for work. I am just lucky that I can scrape by on 1 card for now since we have some other priorities which are taking away from the machine learning training time right now. But if I was the choke point in the project, I wouldn't have been able to afford the speed reduction by dropping down to only 1 2080TI left from 4. If I delayed the project by even 1 day, that would be a far greater loss than a couple grand of depreciation on video cards.

I love gaming and overclocking as much as the next guy, but that is something people here tend to forget when it comes to this tier cards - they are used for work just as much or more as they are used for play, and for many companies, saving a few hundred bucks per card is just absolutely meaningless compared to keeping momentum on a project.

It's great to sit here and say "omg, that guy got played on ebay by overpaying $200 per card," but he's probably thinking, "This is gonna be great, I'll make thousands of dollars in extra revenue by delivering a 7 figure project a few days earlier."

Meh, fools or someone that needed them now. The same guy bought all 3 of them, someone buying 3 of these cards (specifically blower cards) is probably using them identically as I am - scientific computing for work. I am just lucky that I can scrape by on 1 card for now since we have some other priorities which are taking away from the machine learning training time right now. But if I was the choke point in the project, I wouldn't have been able to afford the speed reduction by dropping down to only 1 2080TI left from 4. If I delayed the project by even 1 day, that would be a far greater loss than a couple grand of depreciation on video cards.

I love gaming and overclocking as much as the next guy, but that is something people here tend to forget when it comes to this tier cards - they are used for work just as much or more as they are used for play, and for many companies, saving a few hundred bucks per card is just absolutely meaningless compared to keeping momentum on a project.

It's great to sit here and say "omg, that guy got played on ebay by overpaying $200 per card," but he's probably thinking, "This is gonna be great, I'll make thousands of dollars in extra revenue by delivering a 7 figure project a few days earlier."

Agree totally different use case. If you are using them for actual work cost discussion is irrelevant. You would laugh if i told you how much i spent on quadra cards for my wife.

Gaming is an actual luxury, compute cycles for a living is not. Although, my company would never allow the purchase of ebay or second hand cards, they would pay twice as much to buy from a "certified" source.

Agree totally different use case. If you are using them for actual work cost discussion is irrelevant. You would laugh if i told you how much i spent on quadra cards for my wife.

Gaming is an actual luxury, compute cycles for a living is not. Although, my company would never allow the purchase of ebay or second hand cards, they would pay twice as much to buy from a "certified" source.

Yeah that is the nice thing about working for a relatively small company, I have a budget but relative complete freedom how I spend it (OEM build vs. rolling my own, etc). People trust me to make the decision whether to buy a RTX or a "supported" quadro, etc. I have a 3990WX watercooled in a 4u enclosure with a radiator zip tied to the front of it. The guys running sims on it are just like "wow this is so much faster than my Dell Inspiron," and the CFO is thrilled I didn't buy a preconfigured Epyc.

Not sure what you guys are talking about. There are still lots of 2080 ti cards being sold for 600-700+ on ebay. In fact that majority seem to still be.

You need to watch completed auctions, those in the 600-700 range started bidding before the announcement. Many BIN for 500 today, one for 400, etc.

Ohya the fire sale is on. This was live when I saw it and it of course sold fast.

Ebay link:

2070 super Gaming X

Edit: Seems like prices will tank hard, recover and finally settle in once the 3070 reviews hit and we see what retail pricing and availability is on the 3000s coming before the end of the year.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You know whats interesting. No one is currently selling AMD cards at all. I was trying to trade my 1080ti for a 5700 xt before the announcement but i guess now ill just use it to keep my papers from flying in the wind. Prior to the announcement i was gearing up for Big Navi. I am less shocked by the claimed performance of the 3080 and more so of the price. I just assumed a 3080 that over doubles a 2080ti performance would MSRP for $1299.

FYI. mining is picking back up, i do expect shortages and scalpers on these new cards.

2070super.JPG

Link no longer works. How much did it end up going for?

You know whats interesting. No one is currently selling AMD cards at all. I was trying to trade my 1080ti for a 5700 xt before the announcement but i guess now ill just use it to keep my papers from flying in the wind. Prior to the announcement i was gearing up for Big Navi. I am less shocked by the claimed performance of the 3080 and more so of the price. I just assumed a 3080 that over doubles a 2080ti performance would MSRP for $1299.

FYI. mining is picking back up, i do expect shortages and scalpers on these new cards.

AMD still has a strong market for Crypto. Their cards are BY FAR the most efficient for mining Etherium.

A new crypto boom would definitely put the damper on what looks to be a 'reasonable' asking price situation from Nvida this time around. :eek:

I know the first thing comes to mind is high end, but dang, this could also make it a good time to do that second rig for the living room.

You need to watch completed auctions, those in the 600-700 range started bidding before the announcement. Many BIN for 500 today, one for 400, etc.

I did, I was looking at completed right before I made that post.

Edit just looked again top 3 were 600, 750, 650,

500 on ebay shipped with fees is getting to that mid to low 400s for the seller.

If the 3070 pans out to be roughly equal to the 2080ti in most things and maybe has some RTX gains as well... The 2080ti has to land in the 350-450 range. Maybe it holds the line a little with its Vram advantage and that translates into some stronger used value. Interesting times!

A new crypto boom would definitely put the damper on what looks to be a 'reasonable' asking price situation from Nvida this time around. :eek:

AMD is far more efficient at most crypto than Nvidia. Won’t affect the market as much as one might think.

Just snagged a 1080ti for $280 including shipping and tax. At least a good 60% faster than my 1070. Hopefully the seller doesn’t back out. I figure 1080ti, 2070, and 2080s belong around $275 to $375 depending on condition and cooler. I am still not impressed with RTX and think DLSS only matters for 4K. Cool stuff though and it will be important in the future.

AMD is far more efficient at most crypto than Nvidia. Won’t affect the market as much as one might think.

I know. I have a 1080ti and 3 rx 5700 mining right now. the stock clock and undervolted 5700 non xt is making double what the 1080ti is despite being overclocked. I just figured people seeing 2080ti for $400 would force a 5700 under $350. Nope.

I know. I have a 1080ti and 3 rx 5700 mining right now. the stock clock and undervolted 5700 non xt is making double what the 1080ti is despite being overclocked. I just figured people seeing 2080ti for $400 would force a 5700 under $350. Nope.
The 5700 stay pretty stable. I will add two or three RDNA2 cards to my mining rig down the line.

And longer term, RTX is the best thing that can happen to GPUs to protect them from crypto bubbles. The more of the GPU die that's useless for ponzicoining, the more of an advantage there will be for companies making dedicated ponzicoin miners for ether/etc that are computationally equivalent to oldschool shading only-gpu (not RT, no tensor, no video en/decode, etc). Once that happens and begins to proliferate GPU mining will be in a death spiral.

Dang, that 3080 price/performance ratio just completely upset the GPU stack. How much you guys think I can get for my RTX Titan?

Why do you question his purchases?
I asked a question, so what? Am I not allowed to ask him?

All the Titan RTX and 2080ti buyers are just butt hurt now, because their expensive card just dropped 75% in value. That is what happens if you support price gouging of manufacturers.

Last edited:
And longer term, RTX is the best thing that can happen to GPUs to protect them from crypto bubbles. The more of the GPU die that's useless for ponzicoining, the more of an advantage there will be for companies making dedicated ponzicoin miners for ether/etc that are computationally equivalent to oldschool shading only-gpu (not RT, no tensor, no video en/decode, etc). Once that happens and begins to proliferate GPU mining will be in a death spiral.

I agree with you 100%. I wish prices on the 5700XT would plummet like everything else so I could get more of them cheaper for my Etherium farm. 😅

Dang, that 3080 price/performance ratio just completely upset the GPU stack. How much you guys think I can get for my RTX Titan?

Probably around $600-700. The values stay stronger on the Titans due to the brand cachet.

I agree with you 100%. I wish prices on the 5700XT would plummet like everything else so I could get more of them cheaper for my Etherium farm. 😅
I guess they will plummet in price as soon as we get a "6700XT" for $400.

All the Titan RTX and 2080ti buyers are just butt hurt now, because their expensive card just dropped 75% in value. That is what happens if you support price gouging of manufacturers.
It is actually worse than that - after the initial surge of panic buying and selling and stocks of new cards normalize, the 2080ti will be functionality obsolete - NV confirmed yesterday that the 3070 matches the RAS performance of the 2080ti and exceeds the RT performance. Further, the 3060 is going to exceed the ras performance of 1080ti...so ..what would you give for a 2080ti? Given no warranty, someone has used it, etc....I am not going to even consider used cards.

It is actually worse than that - after the initial surge of panic buying and selling and stocks of new cards normalize, the 2080ti will be functionality obsolete - NV confirmed yesterday that the 3070 matches the RAS performance of the 2080ti and exceeds the RT performance. Further, the 3060 is going to exceed the ras performance of 1080ti...so ..what would you give for a 2080ti? Given no warranty, someone has used it, etc....I am not going to even consider used cards.
Lol ...n00b is right...look at how the 1080 ti held up...with Covid on going do not count on steady supply of anything. And I do not see 2080 Tis dropping below $600 once the panic selling right now ends.

Plenty of 20 series cards still have warranty as well. You have to consider that 1060s still sell for $125. There comes a point when people won't sell for anything less because its better off kept. The people selling 2080tis now always want the current gen flagship or higher end part. Thats not all 2080ti owners. Eventually the people selling for lower now will run out and sold for prices will come up. 2080ti is obsolete only in that it is no longer the flagship card. It doesn't negate the performance advantage it has over everything that came before it.

Last edited:
I had no idea there was another crypto bubble forming until I started reading this. Perhaps I'll offload my 5700 non-XT after all.

I would not say that... I have a 2080Ti and have loved every minute of owning it. I have played every game I own at 4K fully maxed out and with Ray Tracing when it is available. To me (as PC gaming is a hobby of mine), well worth the $1199 I paid for it on sale well over a year ago. Hell, I'll probably buy a 3090 simply so I do not have to worry about max settings for longer again.

Lol ...n00b is right...look at how the 1080 ti held up...with Covid on going do not count on steady supply of anything. And I do not see 2080 Tis dropping below $600 once the panic selling right now ends.

Perhaps, I was not clear, my fault. For gaming a luxury expense, it does not matter what people want for the 2080t it is irrelevant as a better $500 product is emerging-, because anyone with a quarter of a clue will not want one - I am sure there will be some uninformed people who keep buying, but certainly not enought to drain the supply.

Hell, keep asking 1200, what people want to sell for is irrelevant, smart money will not touch em, and if you don't have the patience to wait for stock - (not talking people earningva living off of pushing bits) - well then you deserve to get scalped.

Last edited:
Plenty of 20 series cards still have warranty as well. You have to consider that 1060s still sell for $125. There comes a point when people won't sell for anything less because its better off kept. The people selling 2080tis now always want the current gen flagship or higher end part. Thats not all 2080ti owners. Eventually the people selling for lower now will run out and sold for prices will come up. 2080ti is obsolete only in that it is no longer the flagship card. It doesn't negate the performance advantage it has over everything that came before it.

Right, but if a $500 card equals and beats your 2080ti - your used 2080ti is economically obsolete at price not significantly less than $500. I mean really you are saying people want your used stuff for anywhere near what a new better performance card will cost? And honestly if you need to save $10 on a $500 luxury product - perhaps a financial realignment is in order.

I would not say that... I have a 2080Ti and have loved every minute of owning it. I have played every game I own at 4K fully maxed out and with Ray Tracing when it is available. To me (as PC gaming is a hobby of mine), well worth the $1199 I paid for it on sale well over a year ago. Hell, I'll probably buy a 3090 simply so I do not have to worry about max settings for longer again.
That is absolutely fine mindset, no problem with it, what I have a problem with is now if you start complaining that you can't get 800 for your old card when a superior card is now available for $500.

Back