The Great Steam Treasure Hunt

Eriksrocks

Limp Gawd
Steam just started a new "Treasure Hunt" promotion. If you complete any 10 objectives and login to Steam on December 20, you will be entered to win 100 games of your choice.
http://store.steampowered.com/treasurehunt

The objectives for December 6 - 7 are:
  • Self Portrait - Setup an avatar
  • Got Tanked? - Become a Desert Fox in R.U.S.E.
  • Up the Ante - Unlock The Iron Curtain in Poker Night at the Inventory
  • More Cowbell - Set a leaderbord score of at least 1,124,400 in easy mode for the 'Paul Hartnoll' level in Chime

In addition, if you complete any 1 of the 4 current objectives you will be entered for a chance to win 5 games on your wishlist.

It seems like a cool idea, but I was hoping these wouldn't be game-specific achievements that you have to own the game to accomplish.

It seems like a cool idea, but I was hoping these wouldn't be game-specific achievements that you have to own the game to accomplish.

Seems like good odds to me. Especially if they give us a freebie like "set up an avatar" on each of the 7 different sets.

Then youve only got to do 3 of your own.

So in order to win 100 games you have to perform 10 different actions which rely on your ownership of particular games.

When is the hat bullshit going to end? I like hats fine but I wouldn't give a rats arse if they were all gone tomorrow
Not saying Valve is lame for doing this because they are not, they know idiots out there will buy these games just so they can get a hat in a game (if you already own the games, good for you)

"Buy this actual piece of horse shit we personally gathered from a horse farm and get a virtual TF2 hat!"

So in order to win 100 games you have to perform 10 different actions which rely on your ownership of particular games.

NO.

complete 10 or more different actions (which rely on your ownership of particular games) for a chance to win 100 games.

I love the idea gut game specific ones suck. I'm hoping that they will put some ones up for games I already own. I can only imagine how much money they will make from people buying the $1-$3 games just to complete another objective.

Maybe the silly amount ive spent in sales might mean the game specific ones actually happen for games i own

Posted this over in [H]otDeals, since there are sales for each game. Plus, I picked up Chime. It's fun!

I grabbed Chime as well, seems fun but could only play a few minutes last night. I too hope they hit some games I already own but I haven't bought much lately any ways. I am going to play along but I won't shell out much to have a chance. Oh, being one of the "daily" winners would be pretty awesome in its self.

I love the idea gut game specific ones suck. I'm hoping that they will put some ones up for games I already own. I can only imagine how much money they will make from people buying the $1-$3 games just to complete another objective.

Except that R.U.S.E is $30+ unless you can get the required rank in the demo which I doubt.

This is a shitty deal unless you already happen to own the games. Given millions of Steam users (not all of which will participate in the Treasure Hunt) the chance to win 100 games is pretty damn low for it to be worth spending any amount of cash on.

Except that R.U.S.E is $30+ unless you can get the required rank in the demo which I doubt.

This is a shitty deal unless you already happen to own the games. Given millions of Steam users (not all of which will participate in the Treasure Hunt) the chance to win 100 games is pretty damn low for it to be worth spending any amount of cash on.

There's no need to buy RUSE, the requirements are just 1 of the 4 for the 5 game prize and 10 of the 28 for the big one. While the odds aren't much better than winning the lottery, a lot people probably won't have to spend anything to complete 10 achievements and with at least 3 games (all on sale for the couple days presumably) for each of the 7 blocks, it's a good bet most people will find a game or two they already own (or want to buy) in the list at some point.

It's a Steam holiday sale, take it for what it is.

There's no need to buy RUSE, the requirements are just 1 of the 4 for the 5 game prize and 10 of the 28 for the big one. While the odds aren't much better than winning the lottery, a lot people probably won't have to spend anything to complete 10 achievements and with at least 3 games (all on sale for the couple days presumably) for each of the 7 blocks, it's a good bet most people will find a game or two they already own (or want to buy) in the list at some point.

It's a Steam holiday sale, take it for what it is.

I'm kind of hoping one of them has something to do with Left 4 Dead 2. It would actually give me an excuse to play the game. I've owned it since it released and I don't think I've played it once.

Thats the impression I get, but I've never won anything in my entire life I'm kinda cynical about the steam contests.

Well these type of contests (regardless of the company) are there just to really generate sales and publicity. I don't understand the reasoning of people that are complaining about it, Valve is a for profit company, Steam sales/contests are just there to build publicity or generate sales, they aren't some sort of humanitarian service for gamers.

It honestly would be same thing as complaining about Pepsi points, or Credit Card rewards points.

Back