The Great RTX 3080 Scalping event has begun!

Feels like I've seen this story before.
I seemed to remember being excited at the prospect of $399 AIB partner cards leading up to the launch of the 1080.

Then at launch we found out there was $100 premium for the FE version with no AIBs available.
On top of that, FE versions were as rare as hens teeth, and it was many months before you could get a 1080 at anything close to MSRP.

To be honest, I'm not sure why we're all surprised again. Shame on us.

$599 and $699 with the 1080 at launch.

Wait until the 20GB version of that card sells for $1199 just like the old 2080Ti :p.

Well played, Nvidia, well played. Sucker people in with the $699 price point and then drop the hammer.
More memory won’t do much for the 3080, and faster memory runs too hot. If the 3080 was memory constrained then you would see a much wider gap between it and the 3090.

More memory won’t do much for the 3080, and faster memory runs too hot. If the 3080 was memory constrained then you would see a much wider gap between it and the 3090.

It doesn't matter. It's a marketing tool against the 16GB Big Navi. The majority of people would be perfectly fine with 10GB and a lower price if they were honest with themselves.

It doesn't matter. It's a marketing tool against the 16GB Big Navi. The majority of people would be perfectly fine with 10GB and a lower price if they were honest with themselves.

Yep, 10gb is plenty for the next couple of years. If running less than 4K it will be fine even longer.

Wait until the 20GB version of that card sells for $1199 just like the old 2080Ti :p.

Well played, Nvidia, well played. Sucker people in with the $699 price point and then drop the hammer.
Except everyone that might've been interested in a 20GB variant but already bought a 10GB is still inside of their return window - nevermind the potential to resell for a massive profit. Everyone else would just keep their 10GB because the premium for 20GB won't be worth it to them. GDDR6X is expensive.

20GB seems like it'll be AIB's-only anyway. And most people would've still preferred a cheaper 10GB model if Nvidia had been braindead and muddied their launch by announcing 3080 FE in 10GB and 20GB variants.

So the idea that Nvidia suckered anyone is a little perplexing, unless it's just more misplaced bitterness over the launch scarcity of these cards.

Last edited:
Except everyone that might've been interested in a 20GB variant but already bought a 10GB is still inside of their return window - nevermind the potential to resell for a massive profit. Everyone else would just keep their 10GB because the premium for 20GB won't be worth it to them. GDDR6X is expensive.

20GB seems like it'll be AIB's-only anyway. And most people would've still preferred a cheaper 10GB model if Nvidia had been braindead and muddied their launch by announcing 3080 FE in 10GB and 20GB variants.

So the idea that Nvidia suckered anyone is a little perplexing, unless it's just more misplaced bitterness over the launch scarcity of these cards.

GALAX Confirms GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3060, RTX 3060 Matches RTX 2080

The point is that 6 months from now when the supply channels have plenty of stock and scalpers are gone, cheap 10GB cards will be hard to find. The FE will be MIA, and any rebate programs Nvidia was offering to AIBs will be over. You'll be looking at $750-850 10GB cards and $950-1100 20GB cards.

It's no secret that the 20GB cards are coming and likely before the end of the year to coincide with Big Navi. By the time they release, there will be no profit resale window as the supply channels will be filled.

The reality is the 16GB 3070 is going to be the defacto $699 card as the 10GB cards will be non-existent in retail channels.

The point is that 6 months from now when the supply channels have plenty of stock and scalpers are gone, cheap 10GB cards will be hard to find. The FE will be MIA, and any rebate programs Nvidia was offering to AIBs will be over. You'll be looking at $750-850 10GB cards and $950-1100 20GB cards.

It's no secret that the 20GB cards are coming and likely before the end of the year to coincide with Big Navi. By the time they release, there will be no profit resale window as the supply channels will be filled.

The reality is the 16GB 3070 is going to be the defacto $699 card as the 10GB cards will be non-existent in retail channels.

Pretty much. That is what I think will happen. The performance isn't that great of the RTX 3080, given the price. Same with the RTX 3070, although we haven't seen official benchmarks we know roughly where it will fall. The performance isn't bad, but the price is a bit high. Add in the larger VRAM models and the price will be very high. Especially if they discontinue the lower GB models.

Nvidia duped people into thinking this gen was a great value because last gen saw a huge jump in price with a relatively low performance gain.

If one cannot reign in their consumerism even slightly, well, then maybe also consider an Amazon Add-On of that 50 gallon drum of lube. You'll need it in life.
I feel this is the tip of the iceberg for such folks.

View attachment 279449
I'm telling you, one day, some savage in genmay is going to [H]Sectret Santa this to someone and become a legend.

I decided to cancel the back order I had for a 3080 since I want to see how Navi performs. I'm also feeling 10GB just isn't enough if I want to keep the card for ~3-4 years and run 4k resolution.

If the floodgates don't open in the next month for ~$700 3080s, this could backfire on Nvidia. They're teasing a lot of pent-up demand, giving AMD the opportunity to follow through and deliver. I can anticipate an advantage for 16GB over 10GB in the next couple of years, not so much for 20GB vs 16GB.

On another note, I suspect there may be 1 or more [H] members trying to scalp a 3080.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea then, let me make my stance clear; I'm all for a capitalist and free market and not advocating for any legality changes to be made, esp. in regards to graphics cards specifically since it's a such a small market segment to zero in on. Scalping can mostly be mitigated by store policies and technical controls to enforce those policies.

But for the scalpers who inevitably circumvent those policies and controls, I as good with them doing so and flipping them for an exorbitant markup as I am with people exploiting eBay's buyer dispute bias to discourage scalpers from their practices as well. And I'll just leave it at that.

To be fair though, when banks do this shit it is called "arbitrage" and is a respected and legitimate form of capitalism. :p

Who in their right mind wouldn't give up their spot in line for $1200? Seriously, this is a cult at this point.

It really is. I mean don't get me wrong, I want a 3000 series. I still have a 1080Ti because the 2080 just wasn't enough improvement for the price to stir me to buy one. I have the money and I'll get one when I can... But for fuck sake I'm not going to to stand in line for hours, I'm not going to pay over retail, I'm just not going to freak out. More cards are being made literally every day, I'll get one. I'm not fussed over it.

People get WAAAAAY too in to this "I gotta have it now!" mentality.

People get WAAAAAY too in to this "I gotta have it now!" mentality.

It's called being a child, and not having a developed enough pre-frontal cortex to be able to deal with delayed gratification.

In the typical human brain that happens by age 25 (which is in large part why the discipline of "Child Psychology" generally runs through age 25) but some people never grow up, and sadly this seems to be getting more and more common.

1601172830622.png

While many of the scalpers are undoubtedly above age 25, I'm pretty sure a large portion of those driving the demand and giving the scalpers work are privileged whiny brats using daddy's credit card.

my only problem is my 1080 has 11....why would want 10 when it can be cranked to 11 or more?

I would assume because they plan on doing a 3080Ti with 12GB. There are solder pads on the board for 2 more RAM chips. So my guess would be that some time later in the cycle they plan on introducing a Ti that has 12GB of RAM. Hence 10GB for the normal 3080.

Cost could be a factor too, I know this new RAM is supposed to be expensive so maybe they need to keep amounts down to keep their costs reasonable, but I would imagine it has more to do with a later Ti than anything else.

It's called being a child, and not having a developed enough pre-frontal cortex to be able to deal with delayed gratification.

In the typical human brain that happens by age 25 (which is in large part why the discipline of "Child Psychology" generally runs through age 25) but some people never grow up, and sadly this seems to be getting more and more common.

View attachment 283214

While many of the scalpers are undoubtedly above age 25, I'm pretty sure a large portion of those driving the demand and giving the scalpers work are privileged whiny brats using daddy's credit card.

I don't wanna grow up!, I'm a toys'r'us kid...

Nice way to group together a bunch of people you do not know and make judgements about their motivations and maturity...

So have they figured out what the real issue is? Or did Nvidia "fix" it by downlocking the cards through drivers?

I don't know if I'd use the term illegal since technically all you're doing is violating the TOS of Ebay. I don't think there is technically any criminal behavior.
It's against eBay's TOS to sell things over your cost (in this case a GPU)?

It's against eBay's TOS to sell things over your cost (in this case a GPU)?

That wasn't what I was referring to at all. In context, we were talking about false bids into the tens of thousands of dollars with no intent of paying, NOT selling things for more than you paid for them.

Back