The Great RTX 3080 Scalping event has begun!

it's gonna be even worse than mere scapling alone, it's Miner-Gate 2.0 all over again, you just wait:

"NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ethereum Crypto Mining Performance Leaks Out, Up To 93 MH/s When Overclocked" -- https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ethereum-crypto-mining-performance-leaks-out/

" There are reports of a resurgence in the mining segment which might cause inflated prices and lower stock for upcoming graphics cards"

:(

Well....I didn't really NEED a new video card anyway...

These are so inspirational and comforting. Good bloke, sounds like a true frnd :)

View attachment 279441
So it's just a inventory locating service. You pay some unemployed person to drive around aimlessly in hopes of finding one while I sit comfortably at home or at work making money... depending on the mark up and the shortage in supply, this doesn't seem all that unreasonable.

...so, someone sets a price on private property and you're okay with stealing it or causing them to loose money because you disagree with their set price. And you're okay with abusing return policies designed to protect buyers from actual issues. Congratulations, that is the dumbest thing I've read on here for a good while.

People with this mindset are the ones that make stores with good return policies start watering them down.

Nope. Seems like you're deliberately being obtuse now. I was clear and you made another bad analogy.

Dispute what? That you want the seller to lower their price?

It doesn't matter; one can open a dispute for virtually anything on eBay and screw the seller over. Again, I'm not advocating for this and would never waste my own time trying rip someone off, but essentially I see it as an equally bad of a practice as circumventing purchase quantity limits and buying these in bulk for the sole reason of flipping them. But I guess Flogger enjoys grandstanding against me for this stance while insisting on putting it into consistently bad analogies and blaming me for stores changing their return policies despite having never been complicit in any aforementioned practices.

Also, I don't think this is off topic (we're directly talking about scalping video cards at least as is the thread title/subject), so hope Kyle wasn't referencing our conversation on this as being off topic.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter; one can open a dispute for virtually anything on eBay and screw the seller over. Again, I'm not advocating for this and would never waste my own time trying rip someone off, but essentially I see it as an equally bad of a practice as circumventing purchase quantity limits and buying these in bulk for the sole reason of flipping them. But I guess Flogger enjoys grandstanding against me for this stance while insisting on putting it into consistently bad analogies and blaming me for stores changing their return policies despite having never been complicit in any aforementioned practices.

Also, I don't think this is off topic (we're directly talking about scalping video cards at least as is the thread title/subject), so hope Kyle wasn't referencing our conversation on this as being off topic.
Some people don't understand that the free market works both ways. If buyers are fed up with scalping and want to use the resources that are legally available to them to "make the scalpers pay" so to speak then they have that option. Their abuse of the system is no different than the scalpers' abuse of the system.

In the end it is really just beating your head against a wall since it isn't going to stop scalpers. The only thing that will stop scalpers is people not buying their product at ridiculous prices. Unfortunately, it has been proven time and time again that there are enough fools out there that have to have it first for whatever reason that they will pay the money and keep the scalpers in business.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
We all are getting old in here. We used to be about getting the best and having the fastest. Now we are arguing about the financial impact of getting something new before anyone else. Next up we will be bragging about our new vacuum we just bought.

It's about being [H]ard, not [R]esponsible :p

Nana Nana Booboo LOL
1600297566300.png

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I should scalp one if I can get two. LOL. Bet I could get $900 shipped or more for a 3080.

Last edited:
Alright. Alriiiiight. You've convinced me. I'm in for 8. They'll be on FS/FT as soon as they arrive.

/S...maybe.

Some people don't understand that the free market works both ways. If buyers are fed up with scalping and want to use the resources that are legally available to them to "make the scalpers pay" so to speak then they have that option. Their abuse of the system is no different than the scalpers' abuse of the system.

Except you cannot legally abuse return policies. The only reason people do it is because it is easy to get away with. If the seller accepts returns you can can buy and send back, but you have to check their return policy on their listing. Typically they'll have a restocking fee and make you pay return shipping to cover the losses. If you're claiming the item is not as described, didn't arrive, or steal/use it and then try to return it you're abusing the return system.

You can't just say "free market" and decide on your own return policy because of your feelings. The market is free in that you can set prices and choose to buy or not. What you can't do is change selling/buying/returning terms on the spot, on both ends of the aisle.

Any mental gymnastics you do is justifying one type of crime or another because you don't like the price someone sets on an item.

The funny thing is I don't think those scalped cards will sell. Both the RTX cards and AMD's RDNA1.0 cards didn't sell well because they didn't offer much in performance and they were expensive. The RTX 3000 series fixed the performance but not the price. Been saying this for a while but AMD and Nvidia aren't selling their cards lately, and it's mostly due to price. The GTX 1060 is still the #1 card because it's $250. Was $250 cause now you can pick these up for a little over $100. You think a GTX 1060 owner is going to buy a $500 RTX 3070, let alone a $1000 scalped 3070? Be realistic here, these cards aren't going to sell any better than the RTX 2000 series. Once Nvidia has a 3060 and 3050 then we can talk. For the most part the 3070 and 3080 are hype cards, meant to get people interested in buying a 3000 series card.

Will there be a shortage? Yea, because companies now think if there's a shortage that people will buy it thinking it's popular. Will someone buy a RTX 3070 for $1k? Yes, because the world won't have a shortage of idiots. Is a GTX 1060 or RX 480 owner going to buy a RTX 3070 or 3080? No, because those people strickly only buy graphic cards in the $200-$300 price range, give or take. Which for some reason both AMD and Nvidia seems to be avoiding that market price range for a few years now, as if both companies are working with an agreement or something.

Funny our Houston Microcenter had 2 MSI 3080's for 749 as of 10 AM CDT. Sold out now.

That's not exactly a new tactic--you would think Ebay has tools for sellers to throw out "obviously fake" bids, but maybe not.
There is. It's called selling for a fixed price. Start off at an arbitrarily high price and if it sells, enjoy your cash...if not, lower the price. I never do auctions when I sell my shit. I want them to pay me immediately.

NVIDIA:

“This morning we saw unprecedented demand for the GeForce RTX 3080 at global retailers, including the NVIDIA online store. At 6 a.m. pacific we attempted to push the NVIDIA store live. Despite preparation, the NVIDIA store was inundated with traffic and encountered an error. We were able to resolve the issues and sales began registering normally.
To stop bots and scalpers on the NVIDIA store, we’re doing everything humanly possible, including manually reviewing orders, to get these cards in the hands of legitimate customers.
Over 50 major global retailers had inventory at 6 a.m. pacific. Our NVIDIA team and partners are shipping more RTX 3080 cards every day to retailers.
We apologize to our customers for this morning’s experience.”

Bullshiiiiit!

"Unprecedented" YA THINK?! As much as nVidia hyped the product you think they would have had the inventory. Also, you just bought ARM for $40 Billion dollars, you'd think they'd have the money to run a decent website.

Back