The Great RTX 3080 Scalping event has begun!

Yup, like with any new thing or slightly hard to find thing. If people pay it, they are part of it. I don't like scalpers but at the same time if I can buy something retail and sell for double, probably would do it too.

The funniest thing about this is that none of those listings have cards, nor can they guarantee they can get cards on launch. Seems like a lot of chargebacks in the making.

I'm not sure how the technology industry works, but a common misconception with scalping when it comes to concert & sporting events is that it's bots running grabbing up all the tickets during presales. And while there are bots, the reality is though that there's a lot of insider buying so that the public never even stood a chance at getting tickets even without those bots. On occasion, it can sometimes be up to 80% of tickets never even available to the public in the first place.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least there are some backdoor deals going on though to guarantee a little supply for them.

The funniest thing about this is that none of those listings have cards, nor can they guarantee they can get cards on launch. Seems like a lot of chargebacks in the making.
That's not how it works. eBay allows presale listings. If product can't be shipped within timeframe, purchase is refunded.

I like the ideas in the comments there:

hotaru.hino 14 September 2020 20:54
I'm tempted to buy one, then immediately demand a refund when I don't get an email confirming shipment the day of, taking advantage of eBay's bias towards the customer and tanking the seller's rating.

... or at least that's how I hope it works.

excalibur1814 14 September 2020 20:57
You can pretty much do whatever you want and eBay will sit back and ignore the seller. Buy it, use it for two weeks, send it back and get your refund. The seller even has to pay return postage.

Then... leave negative feedback. Easy.

Either way, with eBay constantly bidding items up, they want your cash....

You need two to tango. Willing buyer and willing seller as it has always been. Hope that [H] readers are smarter;)

Well, I can tell you that there is no way I will be paying $1,200 for a 3080, let alone any card. Especially with AMD on the horizon with (potential) competition.

Nobody has an excuse for overpaying for a 30 series unless they are simply rolling in dough and DGAF. For the rest of us, just wait till January and these things are on shelves. Or just spend $250 on ebay on a 2080 Ti :D

I won't pay more than retail for a 3080. Period. Those with money to burn and don't care if they pay more than it's worth can have at it.

I won't pay more than retail for a 3080. Period. Those with money to burn and don't care if they pay more than it's worth can have at it.

Yep, always the gotta have it no matter what crowd upon release pays thru the nose with no qualms.

Why? Why do people pay for such outrageous pricing is beyond me. Christ, have some self-respect people.

Why? Why do people pay for such outrageous pricing is beyond me. Christ, have some self-respect people.

But...but...

WantitNow.gif

I like the ideas in the comments there:

So a bunch of criminals? How about not buy the items if you don't want them? Causing them to loose money because they have nothing better to do is pretty low. Not much different than showing up to a store and shoving a pistol in someones face and demanding them to empty the cash register, and should be treated as such.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Plus, a lot of people put them at high prices because they are unsure of when the stock comes back in but want to keep the item up and gaining views and watchers. Common tactic. You run out of items, change the shipping to reflect this and raise the price to obscene levels, when you get stock change the shipping back and lower the price again.

Exactly, if you don't want to pay high prices either plan ahead and hope to get lucky or wait. No one needs any of these. We've been waiting for a card faster than a 2080 ti for how many years now? Needless to say demand will outstrip supply.

i heard the scapers are hired by nividia to sell their card at their real mserp

j/k but what happens if that is true

So a bunch of criminals? How about not buy the items if you don't want them? Causing them to loose money because they have nothing better to do is pretty low. Not much different than showing up to a store and shoving a pistol in someones face and demanding them to empty the cash register, and should be treated as such.

Don't like it, don't buy it.

Plus, a lot of people put them at high prices because they are unsure of when the stock comes back in but want to keep the item up and gaining views and watchers. Common tactic. You run out of items, change the shipping to reflect this and raise the price to obscene levels, when you get stock change the shipping back and lower the price again.

Jeez, calm your tits, was just a joke. But that analogy is pretty bad and way off, considering one is a felony and the other is ripping a seller off that's ripping you off.

Jeez, calm your tits, was just a joke. But that analogy is pretty bad and way off, considering one is a felony and the other is ripping a seller off that's ripping you off.

It isn't ripping you off if you get what is advertised. You agreed to the price when you bought it. It isn't any different from any other form of theft/false claims. The only difference is one is easier to get away with.

You'd change your turn if someone bought an item from you to borrow that they had zero intention of keeping and you were out of pocket for all fees and the item.

It isn't ripping you off if you get what is advertised. You agreed to the price when you bought it. It isn't any different from any other form of theft/false claims. The only difference is one is easier to get away with.

You'd change your turn if someone bought an item from you to borrow that they had zero intention of keeping and you were out of pocket for all fees and the item.

Nah, it's still ripping you off, you're just agreeing to it.

My point stands for the bad analogy.

I won't change my tune, because I wouldn't rip anyone off like that or use eBay to do it in the first place since they allow sellers to be taken advantage of like that.

Nah, it's still ripping you off, you're just agreeing to it.

My point stands for the bad analogy.

I won't change my tune, because I wouldn't rip anyone off like that or use eBay to do it in the first place since they allow sellers to be taken advantage of like that.
So if you disagree that the free market should decide on the price, what system do you recommend instead. (How should prices be determined?).

So if you disagree that the free market should decide on the price, what system do you recommend instead. (How should prices be determined?).

Thinking I disagree that a free market is best is a bad assumption. Let me reiterate that I was joking about my original post. If you're good with being ripped off, then that's on you. I'm good with waiting for supply at near MSRP and the product of my choice. Stores can implement purchase limits though to discourage scalping like this at least.

I'll set the prices, and set quotas for manufactures so they only make what is needed, and I'll tell people what to buy so that they can be their happiest. And if they aren't happy they can go to happy camps where they can learn the value of hard work and long days so when their time at camp is done they can appreciate true happiness.

Thinking I disagree that a free market is best is a bad assumption. Let me reiterate that I was joking about my original post. If you're good with being ripped off, then that's on you. I'm good with waiting for supply at near MSRP and the product of my choice. Stores can implement purchase limits though to discourage scalping like this at least.

I think it's clear that in this particular situation (video cards) you think the free market should be limited in some way.
" I wouldn't rip anyone off like that ..."
" Stores can implement purchase limits though to discourage scalping like this at least."

This is not necessarily a bad thing, we don't live in a completely free market. I'm just curious what is the reasoning for suppressing a free market with respect to video cards.

I believe ticket scalping for events is illegal in some states/situations. I just like to understand why people feel these activities should be illegal/restricted.

is anyone breaking the release date and selling and shipping a RTX 30 prior to actual ship dates? anyone? hopin

I think it's clear that in this particular situation (video cards) you think the free market should be limited in some way.
" I wouldn't rip anyone off like that ..."
" Stores can implement purchase limits though to discourage scalping like this at least."

This is not necessarily a bad thing, we don't live in a completely free market. I'm just curious what is the reasoning for suppressing a free market with respect to video cards.

I believe ticket scalping for events is illegal in some states/situations. I just like to understand why people feel these activities should be illegal/restricted.

Sorry if you got the wrong idea then, let me make my stance clear; I'm all for a capitalist and free market and not advocating for any legality changes to be made, esp. in regards to graphics cards specifically since it's a such a small market segment to zero in on. Scalping can mostly be mitigated by store policies and technical controls to enforce those policies.

But for the scalpers who inevitably circumvent those policies and controls, I as good with them doing so and flipping them for an exorbitant markup as I am with people exploiting eBay's buyer dispute bias to discourage scalpers from their practices as well. And I'll just leave it at that.

If one cannot reign in their consumerism even slightly, well, then maybe also consider an Amazon Add-On of that 50 gallon drum of lube. You'll need it in life.
I feel this is the tip of the iceberg for such folks.

1600208249216.png

Sorry if you got the wrong idea then, let me make my stance clear; I'm all for a capitalist and free market and not advocating for any legality changes to be made, esp. in regards to graphics cards specifically since it's a such a small market segment to zero in on. Scalping can mostly be mitigated by store policies and technical controls to enforce those policies.

But for the scalpers who inevitably circumvent those policies and controls, I as good with them doing so and flipping them for an exorbitant markup as I am with people exploiting eBay's buyer dispute bias to discourage scalpers from their practices as well. And I'll just leave it at that.
Dispute what? That you want the seller to lower their price?

Supply and demand works. No one is forced to buy a GPU to game on. Gaming GPU's are a pure luxury item. Fortunately those luxury items are available in all price ranges. Used, new, last gen, etc.

As always vote with your wallet.

Anyway, I never buy scalped products. That's just me. If someone wants to then that's on them and they know what the price is. More power to them.

...so, someone sets a price on private property and you're okay with stealing it or causing them to loose money because you disagree with their set price. And you're okay with abusing return policies designed to protect buyers from actual issues. Congratulations, that is the dumbest thing I've read on here for a good while.

People with this mindset are the ones that make stores with good return policies start watering them down.

Scalpers wont lose much money, because they can just return the item if no one buys from them.

But really should be some kind of crime to do this.

Scalpers wont lose much money, because they can just return the item if no one buys from them.

Nope, as long as they are within the return window as provided for they are perfectly legal. I see no reason to change the law.

If they're on Managed Payments that not as much, but they'll be out shipping and 30 cents which can easily amount to $30. And a negative review for an illegal activity on the buyers part is just shady. If they're still on PayPal, then they loose an extra 3%, so it could rack up to $60-80 easily depending on the cost. Likewise, whether they can return the item is up in the air to especially if the buyer opened/damaged the item. If you have a 14 day return window and shipping time takes 4-5 days each way, that uses it up.

The only crime here (and only thing morally wrong) is screwing someone over because they have something you want but not at the price you want. Its like burning down a business. Yes, if they have insurance they might have most of the costs covered, but not all. And they'll be out of work for a long time and rebuilding and dealing with insurance nonsense takes a lot of personal time.

Throwing tantrums that costs people time and money because you couldn't get your toy is okay if you're 10 years old, but I'm doubting the people buying these GPUs are 10 years old.

If they're on Managed Payments that not as much, but they'll be out shipping and 30 cents which can easily amount to $30. And a negative review for an illegal activity on the buyers part is just shady. If they're still on PayPal, then they loose an extra 3%, so it could rack up to $60-80 easily depending on the cost. Likewise, whether they can return the item is up in the air to especially if the buyer opened/damaged the item. If you have a 14 day return window and shipping time takes 4-5 days each way, that uses it up.

The only crime here (and only thing morally wrong) is screwing someone over because they have something you want but not at the price you want. Its like burning down a business. Yes, if they have insurance they might have most of the costs covered, but not all. And they'll be out of work for a long time and rebuilding and dealing with insurance nonsense takes a lot of personal time.

Throwing tantrums that costs people time and money because you couldn't get your toy is okay if you're 10 years old, but I'm doubting the people buying these GPUs are 10 years old.
2a678e10-6eed-491a-aaf3-108f8614dc1d.gif

Back