The Graphics Technology of Fallout 4

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a new post on the Bethesda website today outlining the graphics technology of Fallout 4. Pretty interesting stuff. I snagged a handful of screenshots for those of you too lazy to click the link. :cool:

As always, our world features fully dynamic time of day and weather. To create that volumetric light spilling across the scene (sometimes called “god rays”) we worked with our friends at NVIDIA, who’ve we worked with dating back to Morrowind’s cutting-edge water. The technique used here runs on the GPU and leverages hardware tessellation. It’s beautiful in motion, and it adds atmospheric depth to the irradiated air of the Wasteland. Like all the other features here, we’ve made it work great regardless of your platform.

That makes at least 3 of us. I pre-order about a game every 2 years and so far have not been burned.

It looks like we can tentatively say that the previously leaked graphics were an earlier version of the game or horribly compressed. This is good news and a relief, assuming there is no large discrepancy between what was posted and what we see when playing.

One of the reasons I stopped building SLI rigs was because of FO3. I'm not ordering this before I read articles/comments in [H].

Been a while since I've been excited about a game launch, but I so cannot wait for this game. Been playing Fallout 3 - A Tale of Two Wastelands in preparation :D

That makes at least 3 of us. I pre-order about a game every 2 years and so far have not been burned.

It looks like we can tentatively say that the previously leaked graphics were an earlier version of the game or horribly compressed. This is good news and a relief, assuming there is no large discrepancy between what was posted and what we see when playing.

this company isn't known for cutting edge graphics, leaked version will be the final. there is really no different between this and FO3 or NV. barely polished. if you wait a year i am sure the modders will apply high rez textures and turn on other features like they did with Skyrim.

this company isn't known for cutting edge graphics, leaked version will be the final. there is really no different between this and FO3 or NV. barely polished. if you wait a year i am sure the modders will apply high rez textures and turn on other features like they did with Skyrim.

Did they learn nothing having to release the hi-res texture pack at the same time as launching Skyrim?

It looks good, but it doesn't look next-gen, new standard good...it looks like a tweaked last-gen game engine rendering at 1080p.

The real problem is the preorder and knowing 6 weeks in a patch will come out that makes me start all over again. Thrice.

For a game of this scope, I just want the graphics to look like they are a logical evolution of what we've seen from FO3. A high-res texture pack later on is fine. I'd prefer their limited resources be more concerned with the basics: stability, storyline, mechanics.

Perhaps you'll have the last laugh on the graphics but if what we see on the official website is about what we get, that's OK with me. If they're like the (hopefully) badly compressed ones then we have a problem.

obviously graphics have improved but I think people wanted a bigger leap...graphics technology has made a big leap since Fallout 3 and with the new consoles out people were expecting a bigger graphical jump

These new screenies kind of look like Half Life 3 should Gabe Newell and Valve actually give a damn about us fans.

Either way, I will pick this up when the GOTY version comes out. I am hoping that the bugs will be worked out by then.

I don't mind the graphics not being top of the heap as long as the game runs well.
I just want 1080p/60 with no stutter.

I love how everyone is pooh-poohing the graphics of a game, and thereby the game itself, that's not even out yet. Obviously it will fail if it doesn't use DirectX 27 and a reverse-polarised flux capacitor to stream holo-images from the future. I'd wager that most of you who are complaining that the game will fail because of this probably never got into the Fallout series.

Looks a lot better than I thought it was going to. Moistening.

I just looked at those pics and I think your going to eat those words. I clearly see good detail, clarity and overall image quality. It is certainly "roughed up some" as any good post apocalyptic world should be.

I think your too soon to open your mouth like it's a sure thing. And has Bethesda said they will be supporting modders like they did in Skyrim? I haven't heard for sure one way or another. Maybe they just hired one or two of the best to do what they do.

obviously graphics have improved but I think people wanted a bigger leap...graphics technology has made a big leap since Fallout 3 and with the new consoles out people were expecting a bigger graphical jump

All I see is a still image. When I see the game running on my 4770, 16GB or DDR3, and ASUS Strix GTX 960 4GB card I'll let you know how good they are in full motion, real time rendering.

Until then, these are nice screenies and if they are representative of how things will loook I like it and I'll see next week. Nice smooth rendering and a mostly bug free game, no real show stoppers, and I'll be damned happy.

I am already happy with the release date. I won't get much done on the 10th, game downloaded, maybe character creation and through the intro if I am lucky. But the 11th is a company holiday and I am off. I am looking forward to a long full day that will probably go by way too fast.

"Bokeh Depth of Field"

Argh. The most abused thing with ENB mods on Skyrim. Want to feel like Mr Magoo? Enable bokeh.

Hopefully Bethesda does not apply it like a toddler with fingerprints.

Yeah, people want a lot of things. I usually don't like to call people stupid, but anyone saying it looks like shit, before it's released, is stupid. Period.

Wait till it's out then you can see some in depth stuff. As for people expecting a bigger leap on consoles, FFS they're low/low-mid range PCs. If they can keep it smooth @30fps that's acceptable. Anyone expecting any more from consoles has just bought into the "next-gen" marketing hype that has been around for a few years. If you want 60FPS, play it on PC. You want to play on a couch with a gamepad too? Whelp, PC got ya covered.

It's like those that comment only play video games to gawk at the visuals. Anything else is apparently tertiary.

Just cause CDPR & Rock* did great things with open world, doesn't mean everyone else is going to do the same right away.

I had some issues with Oblivion at launch. Nothing major, but it was a bit rough around the edges. However, Skyrim was spot on at release for me. Not a single issue, ran silky smooth on my hardware (which was mid-high(ish) range). I expect FO4 to be similar. Could be proven wrong, but I think they're moving in the right direction.

"Dynamic Dismemberment using Hardware Tessellation"

Well that sounds fun. Reminds me of Soldier of Fortune.

If the gameplay is good I barely care about the graphics.

Agreed. My personal standard for FO4 is at least incrementally better than FO3 and that they don't break realism. I get into games for a good story that plays well.

I disagree, I think it looks very disappointing. Expected more with such a long development cycle.

Notice how nothing is close in those screenshots?

The houses/flat sections look flat and lifeless like an early 2000 game, no different to the screenshots leaked yesterday or so. Especially the sloping roof on the last screenshot (LOD reveals all here) and the sides of the houses. Terrible in this day and age, something source engine was doing over 10 years ago in HL2.

Yes, bethesda stuff is usually jack of all trades master of none, it's not just for the graphics, but jeysus.. it's 2015, at least update some parts of the old, rehashed engine. It's goddamn vanilla skyrim with fallout textures and a few more graphic mods.

I disagree, I think it looks very disappointing. Expected more with such a long development cycle.

Notice how nothing is close in those screenshots?

The houses/flat sections look flat and lifeless like an early 2000 game, no different to the screenshots leaked yesterday or so. Especially the sloping roof on the last screenshot (LOD reveals all here) and the sides of the houses. Terrible in this day and age, something source engine was doing over 10 years ago in HL2.

Yes, bethesda stuff is usually jack of all trades master of none, it's not just for the graphics, but jeysus.. it's 2015, at least update some parts of the old, rehashed engine. It's goddamn vanilla skyrim with fallout textures and a few more graphic mods.

I did see that and the graphics did not look so bad that immersion was broken. I play games for the story. If a company allocates more money to the story/gameplay and has sufficient but not exceptional graphics, that's fine with me.

This may all be a moot point-we'll see next week!

Stills mean nothing. It will still have Bethesda's sub-par animation and modeling and writing. Mods will eventually make the textures and lighting better, but you can't fix stupid.

I don't mind the graphics not being top of the heap as long as the game runs well.
I just want 1080p/60 with no stutter.

This isn't a game that would benefit much from 60fps, I spend all my time in VATS anyhow, and if this new version is more skewed to being a proper FPS, again...the way the monsters and characters move in this game, 60fps would be wasted.

Wouldn't you rather they give up the clocks to layer some post-processing, better volumetric or interactive fog, better shadowing, that sort of thing?

PBR and HBAO go a long way to making older tech look nice. The game still isn't going to win any technical awards but that's fine.

As for bugs, well I'd like for it to be stable and not corrupt my saves, but part of me always wants a Bethesda game to be a little bit broken when it comes to it's systems clashing oddly every so often.

Stuff like this is never not funny - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

Bethesda isn't known for graphics or good writing, so the gameplay improvements need to be solid. Fallout lore has been established for years... hopefully they put their enormous resources where they should be = Improved engine, combat, crafting, stat overhaul, variety of environments and quests. Don't "streamline" like Skyrim. RPG's like this should be complex and daunting when you start.

Yeah, people want a lot of things. I usually don't like to call people stupid, but anyone saying it looks like shit, before it's released, is stupid. Period.

Wait till it's out then you can see some in depth stuff. As for people expecting a bigger leap on consoles, FFS they're low/low-mid range PCs. If they can keep it smooth @30fps that's acceptable. Anyone expecting any more from consoles has just bought into the "next-gen" marketing hype that has been around for a few years. If you want 60FPS, play it on PC. You want to play on a couch with a gamepad too? Whelp, PC got ya covered.

It's like those that comment only play video games to gawk at the visuals. Anything else is apparently tertiary.

Just cause CDPR & Rock* did great things with open world, doesn't mean everyone else is going to do the same right away.

Unless you want proper controller support (e.g. no requirement to use keyboard or mouse) or split-screen gaming.

FB_IMG_1446694749842_zpsjj5d5lak.jpg

It's a Fallout game. If the graphics concern you more than the game play, then go back to "playing" the latest Call of Duty remake/sequel.

It's a Fallout game. If the graphics concern you more than the game play, then go back to "playing" the latest Call of Duty remake/sequel.

It's a Fallout game. If gameplay concerns you more than graphics, go back to playing Fallout 2.

That statement is an oxymoron if I have ever seen one...

Are you trying to say Fallout is a graphical game or a gameplay game? That statement is lacking completely in logic

Back