The Government Sells Your Personal Data

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, the government sells your personal information. What kind of "personal info" are they selling? Voter info, business, medical, death, home sales, foreclosure, tax info, student info, you name it, the government is selling it. :eek:

“It feels like a betrayal,” Meer said. “Because our government is supposed to protect us, not to sell our information and profit from us.” Spokesperson Andrew Cole confirms the Secretary of State sells business information for monetary amounts ranging from $200 to $12,000, depending on frequency and amount of information requested. But, Cole says the fees only cover the costs of running the databases.

Sounds like the US gov't does betray almost everyone and even lied to their own citizens about the NSA's illegal activities. Wouldn't surprise me if the US gov't really is broke and the debt ceiling was just a temporary distraction.

Sounds like the US gov't does betray almost everyone and even lied to their own citizens about the NSA's illegal activities. Wouldn't surprise me if the US gov't really is broke and the debt ceiling was just a temporary distraction.

don't forget obama's new dog - extremely important news. a war with syria would be the perfect distraction. and it would cause some terrorist activities that can justify even more ridiculous legislation and funding.

Plus, any casualties from terrorist acts due to our actions in Syria can request government assistance, so our tax dollars can "reach out" to them, too! Everybody wins!

In the War on Terror, there are no losers, only winners!

Plus, any casualties from terrorist acts due to our actions in Syria can request government assistance, so our tax dollars can "reach out" to them, too! Everybody wins!

In the War on Terror, there are no losers, only winners!

+1

Everyone wins except its citizens.

When you allow the government to get as large and powerful as it has, it's not surprising at all that it will violate your rights every chance it gets.

The American people need to come to grips with the monster they've created. You can't have all the "free" stuff you asked for and your civil liberties. The government is going to get it's pound of flesh.

Damn and I thought I was a jaded cynic...

I'm not an Obama fan by any means (though he certainly beats Bush... though being a corrupt war criminal and pretty much all-around the worst president in history that isn't saying much) but you guys do realize this whole Syria mess is something he's actually tried to stay out of because unlike the previous administration they don't want to get bogged down in another pointless war? This time the rest of the international community are the ones kinda pulling us into it...

Off topic political bullshit aside...

I've known this for a very long time. Every time you register to vote, do a change of address, etc. etc. you suddenly end up on a whole slew of new mailing lists of low-life companies trying to sell you their garbage (and yes, I don't care if you are a legitimate upstanding company or not, if you contact me when I have no relationship with you are a low-life piece of shit... and I'll generally expand that designation to pretty much anyone who works in sales or marketing for a living as well... so fuck you too.)

Best way to avoid this is to avoid giving the government any real info about you, same as everyone else.

Where the hell is our cut from the sale of our personal information? :confused:

This is absolutely true.

I called EQUIFAX last month. There was random account opened under my ss. Customer service in USA connected my call to India. This person from India who could barely speak English had access to my entire financial history and in depth detail in front of him. How can you trust foreigners with your personnel information.

The United States has been broke since 1933. Look up the Banking Act of 1933. We are living off of negotiable debt instruments i.e. dollars at the moment provided to us by a foreign entity called the Federal Reserve.

Also this is nothing new especially since we allowed the "Patriot Act" to be passed after the Twin Towers false flag terrorist attack debacle. All the more reason to refrain from what personal info you share online and another reason to use Tor when browsing.

The United States has been broke since 1933. Look up the Banking Act of 1933. We are living off of negotiable debt instruments i.e. dollars at the moment provided to us by a foreign entity called the Federal Reserve.

Also this is nothing new especially since we allowed the "Patriot Act" to be passed after the Twin Towers false flag terrorist attack debacle. All the more reason to refrain from what personal info you share online and another reason to use Tor when browsing.

It would be better if the Fed were actually a foreign entity. Then they would have a vested interest in the currency not getting torched.

As it stands now, they are basically a branch of the government. The government deficit spends, the Fed conjures money out of thin air and buys the debt.

“We are not looking to make money,” said Cole. “We charge to cover our costs.”

That's funny, I thought taxes paid for your equipment, salaries, running costs, etc. Golly, I guess I was wrong.

none of this is new. these invasive tactics have been used by the government for a very long time. it is just now we have people dedicated to outing these systems. in todays world once something is found out the information can immediately be distributed world wide. the government doesnt have time to find the source and put a lid on it. thats why there used to be so many "conspiracy theories" floating around. take area 51 for example........

It would be better if the Fed were actually a foreign entity. Then they would have a vested interest in the currency not getting torched.

As it stands now, they are basically a branch of the government.
The parent companies of the majority shareholders of the Federal Reserve are all foreign entities. The US treasury according to the constitution dictates how currency is to be circulated and none of those guidelines apply to the "Federal Reserve". If you can please show me how they are a part of our "constitutional government" so I can document that. Our current government is incorporated and if you mean that the Fed is a subsidiary of that "corporation" then I concur.

The government deficit spends, the Fed conjures money out of thin air and buys the debt.
This I agree with.

Regarding the OP I think those who are aware and do value their privacy should conjure up a petition then put it before Congress so that way we can be excluded. We can legally show that this is treason especially if this data is being sold overseas to countries we deem as "politically unfriendly" without our written consent.

take area 51 for example........
an example of what? That there was a secret military base in the desert where our experimental aircraft development was done and that some looney toons thought was where we studied aliens?

We can legally show that this is treason especially if this data is being sold overseas to countries we deem as "politically unfriendly" without our written consent.
Of course it won't be treason if the data is being sold to overseas' companies who do business in the US. In this case it would just be good business right?

an example of what? That there was a secret military base in the desert where our experimental aircraft development was done and that some looney toons thought was where we studied aliens?

Oh there were aliens there! Tons of them and it was up to Will Smith to save the whole planet from them by flying a stolen spaceship up to the mothership to blow it up some random computer nerd and two cigars.

"Because our government is supposed to protect us, not to sell our information and profit from us."

must be written on the inside of his eyelids, because it sure as hell isn't written anywhere else

The WHAT?

Please explain what you mean by this?

I would love to but this is not the appropiate forum for this. If you like you can definitely inbox me and I can send you various links of several documentaries that go over this in better detail.

don't forget obama's new dog - extremely important news. a war with syria would be the perfect distraction. and it would cause some terrorist activities that can justify even more ridiculous legislation and funding.

Enough of that bipartisan crap! Did you see what Miley Cyrus did?! OMG OUR VIRTUES!!!!

So how much longer will it be before we're taxed as much as Sweden or Canada minus the free health care, college, etc?

Enough of that bipartisan crap! Did you see what Miley Cyrus did?! OMG OUR VIRTUES!!!!

LOL, that's exactly what politicians love. Distractions!

"What's this about Syri ..... aah, man the awards last night was a hoot!"

"OMG, the government spies on .... *Notification* *clicks to play funny video*

mmmmm, Donuts!

As long as BO is in the White House the US is toast. I can't wait for 2016 and a hopeful shift in the other direction if it's not too late by then.

I think a lot of the "government sells your data" stuff happens at the local level. I remember getting a speeding ticket some years ago and suddenly my mail was flooded with offers from local safe-driving ticket-dismissal classes.

I think a lot of the "government sells your data" stuff happens at the local level. I remember getting a speeding ticket some years ago and suddenly my mail was flooded with offers from local safe-driving ticket-dismissal classes.
DMV's have been selling acquired information for years (many many years). So, yes, this too.

I have never, ever seen a thread go so off topic so fast.

If there actually is a conspiracy, it was this thread suddenly being violently overrun by tinfoil crap before we even got half a dozen posts into the actual topic which was pretty good:

"Why is the government EVER selling ANY of our info? And why do we put up with it?"

I have never, ever seen a thread go so off topic so fast.

If there actually is a conspiracy, it was this thread suddenly being violently overrun by tinfoil crap before we even got half a dozen posts into the actual topic which was pretty good:

"Why is the government EVER selling ANY of our info? And why do we put up with it?"
They sell it because they used to just give it away for free.

This does not surprise me at all, they are corrupt and it's pretty much expected that they do what the hell they want with citizen info, as long as they can find a way for it to benefit itself from it. The worse part about this is it's not like you can just opt out. The only way you opt out is by immigration. Even then, I'm sure they'll keep all the updated info anyway and keep selling it.

A war with Syria would really help the President accomplish his goals. Think about it: He wants to damage Isreal, he wants to ruin the US economy, he wants to destroy the US COnstitution...etc... already. There is no downside for him to turn over Syria to AlQaeda and their shell factions.

We should all trust Obama because we all know he is so honest and good that he is the only person in history who didn't have to do anything to get a NobelPeace prize, Isn't that right Syria?

Back