The Government Can Use GPS to Track Your Moves

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by HardOCP News, Aug 27, 2010.

1. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

The courts have ruled that it is not a violation of your rights for the authorities to stick a GPS tracking device on your car to collect evidence against you. :eek:

2. HardOCP News

HardOCP News [H] News

If this has you worried, just do what I do…I pretend the government is always tracking me, that way I won’t be surprised when I find out they actually are following me.

3. lilfiend

lilfiend [H]ardness Supreme

what if your car is in your garage?

4. Hop-Scotch

Hop-Scotch Gawd

So there is no reasonable expectation of privacy if I say have a gated drive way on a few fenced in acres? I beg to differ.

5. clarkkent57

clarkkent57 Limp Gawd

If the government tracks me, they'll only be wasting our money while proving that I just might be the most boring person alive.

However, if I actually FIND a GPS module under my car, I'll be sure to see what I can do towards humanely attaching it onto the collar of a stray animal.

6. djoye

djoye 2[H]4U

So the federal government is saying that it's OK to film cops out on the road. Guess that case is settled.

7. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

They can't go in your garage without either your permission or a warrant.

8. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

fenced in? That would require a warrant. Out in the open doesn't.

9. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

you guys should see the paranoid responses to this over on the Daily Tech forum. You'd think this allowed the government to search your computer for pron and tell all your neighbors about it.

It's not that big of a deal. This just means that if your car is out in the open, they can track it. They could do that anyway by just tailing a person. This method just allows them to track someone with less chance of being caught and diverted, and to do it with fewer people. The only people that need to worry about any of this are the really, really bad people.

10. RickyJ

RickyJ Gawd

When I heard about this yesterday, I told a friend of mine that it'd be funny to move the tracking device to the officer's wife's car. Might be in for a surprise!

11. jvz555

jvz555 2[H]4U

My history teacher told me about this and the court ruled in favor of the cop, because in the first amendment, it says nothing about privacy. I think this is BULL! :rolleyes:

12. jeverson

jeverson [H]Lite

SAY WHAT!? I also believe it is still legal to shoot someone that is trespassing on your property. Someone needs to bug the A-hole's car that made that decision and put it on the web so that everyone can track his movements. Then we'll see if he still feels there's "reasonable expectation of privacy". Un-F'ing believable.

13. TehQuick

TehQuick 2[H]4U

With GPS in every modern phone, I seriously doubt that the feds need to stick anything to your car - they can just ask your cellular company to track any and all your moves lol :D

14. hasoos

hasoos Limp Gawd

It seems to me that a simple no trespassing sign should be enough to suffice that they do not have permission to enter your property. It is legally binding. All everybody has to do is post a sign that says that, and they should legally, be good to go. At least in their own driveway. But it wouldn't stop them from slapping it on your car somewhere else.

15. Betaboy1983

Betaboy1983 [H]ard|Gawd

Indeed, ever wonder why everyone can't live without a cell phone? They are sooo kewl! This is nothing new. It's part of the beginning of a coup d'etat.

16. Jutsu

Jutsu [H]ard|Gawd

Time to buy a decoy car that i take out only when i am doing illegal things..

17. ryan_975

ryan_975 [H]ardForum Junkie

A "No Trespassing" sign is not enough to create a reasonable expectation of privacy for "open fields,"

18. venm11

venm11 2[H]4U

I don't think there's any difference. You cannot trespass without at least probable cause or permission; the same with physical private property like a car.

I think they're equating this with line-of-sight observation from a public location. Perhaps, once you go onto private property and tamper with private property. This is the same as walking up someone's lawn and pushing open a window so you can see whether they're doing anything illegal.

19. ryan_975

They have to have a warrant for that though. They don't have to for put a GPS tracking device on your car while it's available to the public (that includes sitting in your unsecured driveway.

20. PynkFloydd

PynkFloydd Gawd

Not sure what state you live in, but I consulted with a cop here in IL and he said that you can only use an approriate and justified level of violence to respond to a threat to yourself or your property. Meaning that someone simply stepping on your property wouldn't be enough to justify shooting someone. ...and that a court would take into consideration whether the response to the threat warranted shooting them. Oh...and that doesn't stop their family (or them if they're still alive) from suing you.

21. grizzed

grizzed Limp Gawd

the same should apply to clothing - they aren't searching you, just your clothes.

If you take your clothes in public there is no expectation of privacy.

22. ryan_975

That would fall under your effects. Now, if you take your jacket off, set it on the table, and walk away...

23. rufio

rufio [H]ard|Gawd

Wonder if they would pitch a fit if it were reversed? Can I put a GPS tracker on a gov employees car when it is out in the open? Seems only fair.

24. ryan_975

That would be called stalking.

25. Wolfkin

Wolfkin [H]ard|Gawd

Why is anyone surprised by this? For gods sake, you got NSA and echelon, CIA, Homeland Security, so it was only a matter of time before something like this happened.
    We who are living outside USA have seen a big change in USA after 9/11, I don't know if you see it yourself but the whole country has gone apesh** paranoid.

26. Insula Gilliganis

Insula Gilliganis [H]ard|Gawd

I wonder how this decision jives with another similar court decision made earlier this month..
    http://www.eff.org/press/archives/2010/08/06-0

Court Rejects Warrantless GPS Tracking

No wonder I never wanted to be a lawyer and hate TV law shows.. except for this guy cuz he always won..

[​IMG]

27. rufio

rufio [H]ard|Gawd

I prefer the term 'Checks and Balances' :D

28. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

This has NOTHING to do with privacy. This is for cases where the car is out in the open only. It does not cover cars in garages or behind fences. That is the whole basis of the ruling. Even a "no trespassing" sign is not enough. If someone can just walk up to the car unobstructed, they can legally put a tracker on it, but they cannot defeat any attempts at privacy on the property.

Also, you can't just shoot someone on your property, nor even in your house, unless they are threatening you. In your yard, even if threatened, you can't just shoot. Inside the house, you can shoot if they forced their way in, but aren't threatening you. If you invited them in, they have to be threatening in order for you to legally shoot. There are restrictions. It does have to be "affirmative defense." There is no defense if a kid runs into your yard to retrieve a ball and you shoot him, or a guy cuts the corner of your yard while walking along the sidewalk, or a meter reader walks up to the house to get a reading, or a couple Mormons walk up to your front door to tell you about God. There are many harmless points for someone to walk onto your property, and this include official police business.

29. dgingeri

dgingeri 2[H]4U

Actually, you could. Private investigators do it when they have cause.

30. MrValentine

MrValentine [H]ard|Gawd

I'm sorry but if they are really really bad people they could get a search warrent without a problem. All this does is allow them to track honest citizens without issue.

31. madcap magician

madcap magician Limp Gawd

Fed law enforcement is not wasting their time putting tracking devices on just anybody. Contrary to popular belief, they still have to get approval from everybody AND their brother outside of the courts. So don't worry, your roaches are safe in your car ashtray.

32. Ruoh

Ruoh [H]ardness Supreme

The only reason they passed this rulling was so that the case it actually applies to didn't get thrown out. I'm sure the DEA/AG made some phone calls and got it ligitimized just so they could take down this pot grower.

33. randomdean100

randomdean100 Gawd

Only question is, if I remove and destroy it can they get me on destruction of government property, I mean in my eyes they attached it to my car they are basically giving it as a gift to me.

34. BladeVenom

BladeVenom [H]ardness Supreme

I can imagine the police and courts would come down hard on you if you tried tracking police or politicians.

"All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others."

35. 10Neon

10Neon Limp Gawd

So if I am a government employee living in a toney house in the suburbs with an attached garage, then enforcers may not attach GPS to my car without warrant. However, if I am a young waiter living in an apartment with resident parking lot, then enforcers may attach GPS to my car without warrant.

Oh my. This must be in violation of the Patriot Act. ;-)

What say you, ACLU?

36. Blown 89

Blown 89 2[H]4U

In my state they need to cross the threshold, that includes the garage, and they can't be invited or have to be refusing to leave (with limitations obviously). Every state is different. My car is garaged so if I find someone in there they will get shot. If they're in the driveway there isn't anything I can do.

37. MrValentine

MrValentine [H]ard|Gawd

Man your way off. This has EVERYTHING to do with priviacy. I dont care if the car is in the open or in my garage. They dont have a right to track it without cause/ie search warrent. If they have cause then they can talk to a judge and get a warrent. I dont have issue with them fighting crime, but I have a issue with them trying to circumvent a key part of our judicial system.

And FYI in TX the castle law states that once an intruder is in your house they are a threat just by being inside the house. No other cause is needed to kill them. AND the castle law also extends to vehicles in TX. Put your hand in my car and i have the right to kill you for it.

38. jandar

jandar Limp Gawd

Castle law in Florida is the same.
    Come on my property (including my car), I can shoot to kill, and I do not have to retreat from you at all.

What happens when a cop is sticking a GPS on a car and the car owner thinks he is stealing the car and shoots and kills the cop? Many states have a Castle law and allow this.

39. ryan_975

It's NOT an invasion of privacy unless they breach a barrier designed to keep the public away. If any Joe Blow can walk up your driveway, then it's considered in the open. Keep in mind, this does not mean the cops can search your car without a warrant. Only that they can track where it goes. It's only slightly different than having a car tail you all day to see where you go.

40. Json23

Json23 [H]ard|Gawd

The police state is coming. Better stock up on ammo and reinforce your bomb shelter.