The good old Q6600

Still sticking with my Q6600 till I find the need to upgrade. I want a significant jump!

Definitely SSD & GPU !!!

Get a GPU + SSD.
The SSD will make the biggest improvement. GPU will help out a good bit with new games.

I'd say the OCing the cpu is optional, but might be worth it so it won't be a bottleneck *if* you get a high end GPU :D

I'd say overclocking the CPU is mandatory. If I was somehow stuck at 2.4GHz I'd have every reason to have upgraded to a 2600k by now. Since OCing is free, you can do that and snag a SSD or new card. If you want a better gaming experience get the GPU if you want an overall snappier system, get the SSD. I've currently got two machines with a SSD, my main machine (specs in sig) and my MacBook Air. I have one other laptop and several desktops with mechanical hard drives and I can't stand to use any of them.

SSD first. My main rig w/ SSD went from a Q6600 G0 to i5-2500k and I built an HDD based second gaming rig out of the Q6600 setup. The biggest difference between the two (except heat/power being lower on the i5) is the SSD for most use (general browsing, email, games 2009 or older).

The lack of SSD stands out every time I use the second rig. Both run Win7 x64. The main rig has 150+ software package installed and the second rig has ~10.

Very useful information, thank you. I'll go SSD when late Q3 rolls around. Between Skyrim and BF3, I'm sure I'll need it.

My Q6600 platform is still going. This is the longest life of any I've ever had. It'll be 4 years in the Fall. Hard to believe. Still rocking a GTX280 on it as well. BulletStorm at 2560x1440 was the first game to actually cripple it a bit. Still playable. Just not smooth. I'm not counting Crysis.

Sandy Bridge E looks very appealing, but I may just go for a GTX680 (when they arrive) and see how well it handles the Fall 2011 titles.

Long live the Q6600. I will only replace this baby with a 6+ core monster.

This CPU was only "good" if you payed 300 or less for it. So to those that didn't buy it on release day it's not the "good ole" this thread implies, it's the 2-3 year old processor you picked up when it started getting AFFORDABLE lmao. Which guess what coincides with Phenom II release.

I would agree with it being a good value if you paid less than $300 for it. I posted $851 but that was the tray price. Retail is usually higher.

There is so much mis-information posted in this thread it's unbelievable!

Yeah there is but I don't know why you bother to point it out since you are participating in it too. For example, you're alluding that it wasn't affordable for two to three years after launch which was a response to the launch of Phenom II. Total fantasy.

The Q6600 had a few price cuts. The second one happened on July 22nd of 2007 with the tray price dropping to $261. That had nothing to do with the Phenom II launch. It didn't even have anything to do with the Phenom I launch. Remember that?

only read 3 pages but I gotta mention my e2180, loved that chip 3.1ghz overclock on a crap mobo and ram. That combined with a 9600gt was so damn cheap and performed so well.

Since most (I think the vast majority, incl custom builds and oem) people did in fact pay <$300, its a moot point. 4 years later it still holds its own which is pretty remarkable.

Im still running my Q6600 in a server setup, indeed epic for its time. I think the reason it has such a lasting impression was that ~3 years ago was right when the threshold was taking place of the CPU finally rarely being the bottleneck. A Q6600 @3.0+ could take anything you threw at it. Games became mostly all about GPU.

Im running a 2600K @ 4.8 now... Yeah its fast as fuck but it just doesnt seem that much faster than my Q6600 setup! It seems near impossible to max out unless folding or encoding etc. Even most games cant use it to full load. For the average user/gamer I/O and GPU will be the biggest bottlenecks for years to come.

I know the main disscussion so far has been about intel chips but best bang for the buck for me personally of all time would be:
frysduron.jpg

This was in January 2004.
Get some decent ram, set the FSB to 166 and let them fly @2.0GHz.

I used friends and family to run in and out of the store with me that weekend to get at least 10 of them.

RIP Frys combos :( you will be in my heart forever.

I was able to get my B3 stable at 3.6GHz for a couple years already. I often wondered if I had a G0, if I could push 3.8 or 4GHz.

I've got a Sandy Bridge in my notebook that PCMarks about double or triple my Q6600 but my desktop is not going to get an upgrade anytime soon. The Q6600 gets the job done and more. Coupled with an SSD, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless you were doing some ridiculous number crunching, encoding, or running a dozen virtualizations.

I'm honestly so impressed with the 2500k. I was around for the early Celerons, PIII, P4, and I've never felt as satisfied with an overclock as the 2500k. There's just something beautiful about a chip which runs so cool, and has so much overclocking headroom, with an unlocked multiplier, all for ~200 bucks.

The performance disparity between a well overclocked 2500k and anything you can buy in the store is ridiculous

Also I took my A64 3000+ Winchester from 2.0 to 2.8 on air, that was probably my second most satisfying overclock (as far as one that was actually USEFUL)

I know the main disscussion so far has been about intel chips but best bang for the buck for me personally of all time would be:
frysduron.jpg

This was in January 2004.
Get some decent ram, set the FSB to 166 and let them fly @2.0GHz.

I used friends and family to run in and out of the store with me that weekend to get at least 10 of them.

RIP Frys combos :( you will be in my heart forever.

Hahahaha! I got the same thing! Except it quickly showed its age and ended up getting an E2140 which I was easily able to double up running at 3.2ghz. Then got a nice raise so I bought a Q6600.

I am in the same camp as most of the guys here who have Q6600. I want to upgrade. I have the cash. But I don't want another quad core, even if it is a bit faster. I want a transformational upgrade to an eight core. Come on software guys, start writing multi-threaded apps. I don't want to spend cash for marginal improvement. I use my desktop at home for 2-3 hrs/day. My laptop for another 2. The rest of the time I am at work.

Same... Q6600 @ 3.4ghz

I'm trying to hack together sli on a P45 chipset so that I can keep this processor... with 8gb of RAM and being at 3.4ghz I only see marginal gains moving to brand new processors... I just don't see the need to upgrade right now.... maybe SB will change my mind, maybe I'll just hold off until whatever comes after that.

I'd really like a significant jump. I won't ever be upgrading to another quad core, I want to make it at least 6 or 8 cores on a single die before I got an spend cash again.

Aside from the Q6600 the other processors I had that stuck out were an Opteron 165, one of the few S939 opteron dual cores... bought it at $180, overclocked it to 2.8ghz from 1.8ghz and had it running as fast as an FX-60 that normally cost $1,000 .... Just as much bang for the buck as these 2600K chips, q6600, q9550 scenarios

Last edited:
Hahahaha! I got the same thing! Except it quickly showed its age and ended up getting an E2140 which I was easily able to double up running at 3.2ghz. Then got a nice raise so I bought a Q6600.
I got a few of the E2140 combos as well, I believe one is still in my mothers office (tho she only uses her laptop now) Only bought one Q6600 for my self over the years. While amazing performance and bang for the buck, they wernt exactly $39 w/ a free MB.

I love my Q6600 G0, had it a long time now, I even rebuilt my pc and still kept it!

I had a gigabyte board that gave up the ghost after running the quad for so long (turns out it wasn't made to run the quad :eek:). then I got a Asus p5q deluxe and it's been solid since :D

See sig for full specs. Only thing missing is a SSD.

With you all on this. My Q6600 is running cool and happy at 3.2. It has been for 4 years. I've got the upgrade itch, but it will only be SSD and GPU. The heart of the beast is happy.

Before I change mobo and CPU, there needs to be a vast performance increase with the new hardware. Oh, and I won't spend more than I did for the Q6600 setup: about $250 for the cpu and ~ $200 for the mobo.

Q6600 is great.

Still rocking a Q6600 on my machine. It's a g0 but never oc'd this one. Thinking of doing the SSD/GPU upgrade, get a better HSF and squeeze another couple of years out of this bad boy.
Probably the best PC investment I've made. I thought for sure I would have upgraded it by now.

Still rocking a Q6600 on my machine. It's a g0 but never oc'd this one. Thinking of doing the SSD/GPU upgrade, get a better HSF and squeeze another couple of years out of this bad boy.
Probably the best PC investment I've made. I thought for sure I would have upgraded it by now.

You really should overclock it. It's a G0, you should be able to get at least 3.4GHz out of it without any effort at all. Heck, it might even do 3.2 on default voltage.

You really should overclock it. It's a G0, you should be able to get at least 3.4GHz out of it without any effort at all. Heck, it might even do 3.2 on default voltage.

I certainly agree he should OC it though I wouldn't be so confidant as to what speed he can hit. I've got a G0 that needs a lot of voltage to get to 3.4, more so than i'm comfortable with which is why I run mine at 3.2GHz. I don't know if it's just a dud CPU or because my mobo has a lot of vdroop, but nevertheless point being is that it's not always that easy. Either the board or the CPU itself may limit you.

"What will be the Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz price to be released in January? Unfortunately, you will also have to make an effort because Intel priced it $851. This is 2.7 times the price of a Core 2 Duo E6600!"

This CPU was only "good" if you payed 300 or less for it. So to those that didn't buy it on release day it's not the "good ole" this thread implies, it's the 2-3 year old processor you picked up when it started getting AFFORDABLE lmao.

They were ~$300 in July/August 2007, because that's when G0 hit the market and everyone was crazy over them (I bought my G0 then). That's now almost 4 years. Not 2-3.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I got my G0 q6600 late '07 early '08. I remember paying $199 at the local Micocenter when everyone else was well over $250, I think the cheapest online price at the time was ~$270.

Still running a Q6700 (all 6700's were G0 I believe) myself on an ancient P965 (P5B-Deluxe) mobo.

I purchased an E6600 in April 2007, ran it at 3.2GHz, then in August 2008, my friend bought an Intel retail promotion and upgraded to a 45nm and sold me the Q6700, net cost after selling my E6600 was $80.

3.3GHz is as fast as I can get (9 x 367) with my P5B-D which is running 4 DIMMs as well. Started out with an 8800GTS 640mb, bought a GTX280 when I got the Q6700, and recently upgraded to a GTX 560Ti (net cost $170). The most demanding game I play right now is BC2, which runs great at 1920x1200 everything max except 4X MSAA.

Planning an Ivy Bridge build in April 2012 with an SSD and new graphics card. Hoping this machine can run BF3 decently well at 1920x1200 in the interim. ++++ had the Intel 510 120gb for $250 the other day, was reallllly tempted but need to save money.

The 300A was a slot 1 processor and the ABIT BP6 used dual 370 pin sockets which wouldn't use the Coppermine Pentium III processors.

There were 300A Socket 370 chips. I had a single one @ 450 in a BP-6, later replaced by two Celly 466s that wouldn't overclock worth a crap.

http://www.chiplist.com/ChipList2/tree3f-s_spec_stepping_code-SL35Q--/
http://www.ptrlabs.com/celeron/ppga300a_l.jpg

From Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celeron#Mendocino )
" The Mendocino Celerons also introduced new packaging. When the Mendocinos debuted they came in both a Slot 1 SEPP and Socket 370 PPGA package. "

I upgraded from the E6600 to the i5-750. However the e6600 is still running like a champ at the desk next to mine. My brother in law still has a q6600 and it is working just fine too. Plays all the games he needs

I gave my parents an old E2140 that is still perfectly usable, even after all this time. 100% overclock (3.2GHz/400FSB) at stock voltage ... I still think this is my favorite of all time - it was probably my longest lasting daily use setup. I can't think of any other processor that even came close.

Close second would have to be the dual Celeron 366s I ran at 550 in a BP6. Third might be the Northwood P4 1.8A I squeezed 2.4 out of in a tiny little Shuttle box.

I had a G0 that didn't go much past 3.2GHz at default voltage in the same board that ran the E2140 at 3.2. Much more juice and I couldn't keep the thing from going critical. Then again, maybe my new-processor-overclock-fu is weak, because I can't get my new 2500K stable at 4.5 without 1.375V no matter what I do.

Sending my Q6600 to the parents this weekend after my recent upgrade. It was still kickin just fine for me, just had the itch after 3.5+ years.

It's summertime so I have to downclock my Q6600 from 3.6GHz to 3.5GHz so it runs cooler and requires significantly less voltage :)

Still performs like a beast.

I've been running my Q6600 for 4 years now and its still doing just fine. It has lived through no less than 5 video card upgrades, but it still provides more than enough horsepower to play the newest games.

I got mine the day the price drop kicked in (day G0's hit the market). bought it for 280 and never looked back.
For a while I had the second fastest overclock on the forum (there was a record being kept) and easily the fastest chip on an EVGA 680i motherboard. I had my chip running at a stable 3.6Ghz a week after I got it. I was able to boot it at 3.2 right out of the box on stock cooling and it was totally stable.

Its been 2 years now that I dropped my clock back down to stock. I was playing a lot less games, and I wanted to make sure it would last. Even at stock clock, it still does me just fine. I had no trouble playing Crysis 2 when i launched. No games have had any trouble with this CPU.

Before this rig, I was upgrading my CPU/Mobo on average every 12 - 16 months. I never expected this on to last 4 times that long but it has.

I am just now in the early stages of my next build. It's probably going to be a 2600k with 2 GTX560ti's in an Asus Maximus IV Gene. I don't expect this rig to last as long as my beloved Q6600.
In fact the Q6600 won't be retired any time soon. It will be moved to my living room to use as a media center PC/ game rig for my TV.

S[H]ady;1037443533 said:
I've been running my Q6600 for 4 years now and its still doing just fine. It has lived through no less than 5 video card upgrades, but it still provides more than enough horsepower to play the newest games.

I got mine the day the price drop kicked in (day G0's hit the market). bought it for 280 and never looked back.
For a while I had the second fastest overclock on the forum (there was a record being kept) and easily the fastest chip on an EVGA 680i motherboard. I had my chip running at a stable 3.6Ghz a week after I got it. I was able to boot it at 3.2 right out of the box on stock cooling and it was totally stable.

Its been 2 years now that I dropped my clock back down to stock. I was playing a lot less games, and I wanted to make sure it would last. Even at stock clock, it still does me just fine. I had no trouble playing Crysis 2 when i launched. No games have had any trouble with this CPU.

Before this rig, I was upgrading my CPU/Mobo on average every 12 - 16 months. I never expected this on to last 4 times that long but it has.

I am just now in the early stages of my next build. It's probably going to be a 2600k with 2 GTX560ti's in an Asus Maximus IV Gene. I don't expect this rig to last as long as my beloved Q6600.
In fact the Q6600 won't be retired any time soon. It will be moved to my living room to use as a media center PC/ game rig for my TV.

Well unless we get some company to stop porting games from crap console technology to current hardware on PCs your Q6600 might last another 2 decades.

They were ~$300 in July/August 2007, because that's when G0 hit the market and everyone was crazy over them (I bought my G0 then). That's now almost 4 years. Not 2-3. I'm just going to take a shot at your intelligence and just say you're dumb as hell for not being able subtract.

lol July/August 2007?

Last edited:
lol July/August 2007?

The price drops Intel had originally planned to introduce a massive price cut on April 22, but after AMD announced price cuts on February 12 for 17 desktop Athlon 64 single- and dual-core CPUs, Intel has decided to adjust its pricing earlier than expected, the report noted.

They didn't go crazy until AMD dropped prices on almost their whole CPU line-up lmao, and created the marketplace enviroment where Intel was forced into dropping prices to remain competitive to AMD's better price / to performance CPU's 5-6 months before your memory can remember so...

"I'm just going to take a shot back at your intelligence and just say you're dumb as hell for not being able to remember or subtract." :p :D Next ? please? :)

Next time you try to call someone out, make sure you know what the hell you are talking about.
the price cut he was talking about DID happen in July 2007.They released the G0 stepping and subsequently slashed the prices of the Q6600 and E8400.
I would hazard a guess that at least a 3rd of the people here that had a Q6600, bought them on or after that particular drop.
I know for a fact that the price on those chips remained flat for nearly 12 months after that.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191408
Here's a link to a discussion about the drop, right here on the Hardforum.

While you are correct that until this price drop, the value of buying an Intel CPU wasn't as appealing. I still say they were competitive price/performance. Just not at all on a price front.
The first price drop didn't really foster sales of quad cores, but boy did the next drop! In July 2007 that's when the quad core became a regular consumer item, not just a niche enthusiast product. Once that happened, AMD could no longer compete.
I talked my brother into buying a black edition athlon and we instantly regretted it. We figured it would compete, but it really just didn't hold a candle to my system.

AMD dropped their prices because their CPU's paled in comparison to everything Intel had to offer. They didn't have a choice, they had a dud of a product on a performance comparison.

Last edited:
lol July/August 2007?

The price drops Intel had originally planned to introduce a massive price cut on April 22, but after AMD announced price cuts on February 12 for 17 desktop Athlon 64 single- and dual-core CPUs, Intel has decided to adjust its pricing earlier than expected, the report noted.

They didn't go crazy until AMD dropped prices on almost their whole CPU line-up lmao, and created the marketplace enviroment where Intel was forced into dropping prices to remain competitive to AMD's better price / to performance CPU's 5-6 months before your memory can remember so...

"I'm just going to take a shot back at your intelligence and just say you're dumb as hell for not being able to remember or subtract." :p :D Next ? please? :)

There were two price cuts for the Q6600 in 2007 and the cut to $266 occurred on July 22, 2007. Now why do you want to call him names such as "dumb as hell" or say that he can't subtract or remember when you will just end up getting owned again?

Had my G0 at 3.6ghz since the day I got it nearly 4 years ago. Been a great CPU. Currently running with 2 460's in sli and plays everything I want to play pretty much flawlessly.

Think I'm going to upgrade around new years or so. Pretty good life span for this computer.

S[H]ady;1037445743 said:
Next time you try to call someone out, make sure you know what the hell you are talking about.
the price cut he was talking about DID happen in July 2007.They released the G0 stepping and subsequently slashed the prices of the Q6600 and E8400.
I would hazard a guess that at least a 3rd of the people here that had a Q6600, bought them on or after that particular drop.
I know for a fact that the price on those chips remained flat for nearly 12 months after that.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191408
Here's a link to a discussion about the drop, right here on the Hardforum.

While you are correct that until this price drop, the value of buying an Intel CPU wasn't as appealing. I still say they were competitive price/performance. Just not at all on a price front.
The first price drop didn't really foster sales of quad cores, but boy did the next drop! In July 2007 that's when the quad core became a regular consumer item, not just a niche enthusiast product. Once that happened, AMD could no longer compete.
I talked my brother into buying a black edition athlon and we instantly regretted it. We figured it would compete, but it really just didn't hold a candle to my system.

AMD dropped their prices because their CPU's paled in comparison to everything Intel had to offer. They didn't have a choice, they had a dud of a product on a performance comparison.

Well at least you agree with half of it. Yeah after I posted that I thought maybe the price drop was a few months later;) Whoops. I guess I burned myself with the correct dates somewhat, but the truth isn't all in the dates hehe. Read on...

Anyhow being that it's still June and you stated specifically in your post the Price drop was in July 2007, then that means that Processor has not lasted 4 years just yet!! Oooo Burnnn! Only 3 years, 9 months, and 28 days. So when the Q6600 was affordable no one could have bought it before that unless they payed 7 or 8 hundred. Like I said that chip has really only been awesome for 3 years, but lets just round up so you people don't h8 me so much for my posts. Anyhow yeah come July or whatever exact d8 it was when the price drop happened then it will be a solid 4 years. Also remember most people likely picked up the chip 6-12 months later. For those people the chip has been a 2-3 year CPU, but meh what's the point in arguing on the internet...unless you like debating.

Pretending like it has been some amazing chip for half a decade, when it was very near 1,000 dollars upon release (rounding up of course since that is the only way to convince yourself it's lasted for 4 years, since you didn't purchase on release date or else you would have a different opinion I think.) Until AMD changed the market (whether you believe it or not) and ;) Really, if you held onto it for 4 years congrats to you come July. It was a solid investment for its time frame, but if you spent 850 on release date of January 07, common quit fooling yourself. You got ripped off BADLY if you payed that much, and seeing as how 6 months after it was introduced they dropped the price so dramatically only proves some of my points. (Like Intel Price gouges as bad as the Oil company's when they corner the market, anyone notice Ethanol is almost the same price as gasoline now?) Anyhow the Q6600 is just under 4 years + 6 months, that the chip has been around a few days under 4.5 years.

It is still a great achievement a CPU that OC's and performs for the average Joe for 4 years, but IMO the K6 from AMD in the late 90's was the most amazing CPU released for its time or since. It created a PARADIGM SHIFT in PC Gaming, and further advanced PC gaming with the Athlon XP in 1999 and the FX 64-bit chips further after.

I say that because before it was released you would almost never see a brand new Intel PC in a hardware store for under 1000.00 or 2000.00 dollars that could play DOOM II back in 1994-1995 This article even states that Pentium 2's were commonplace @ 1000 dollars. That was in 1998 imagine 1993-94 most people where paying 2k to play Wolfenstien & Doom 1 and Print :p When the AM6 was released you could finally pick up a PC from a store for a little over 500.00 USD, and game DOOM, Quake, Duke Nukem, Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, Half-Life etc. Which in turn was the most important era of PC Gaming. HALF LIFE is still the most critically acclaimed PC game EVER last time I checked right? Ever since it's release to today it's hailed as the greatest PC game of all time. AMD brought PC gaming to the masses, whether it forced Intel to compete or whether you should credit AMD 100 percent that IT happened, IT happened like it or not.

The SOUL reason we have affordable PC's is quite simply because of AMD. Hate it or flame it, it's the truth. Or else 90 percent of the people in this thread wouldn't be saying it's great because at the end of the day Price + Performance is what makes a GREAT chip. And yes only when the Q6600 dropped price it was FINALLY a good choice, and it has held up well. I'm done....I think.

There were two price cuts for the Q6600 in 2007 and the cut to $266 occurred on July 22, 2007. Now why do you want to call him names such as "dumb as hell" or say that he can't subtract or remember when you will just end up getting owned again?

He called me all those things prior.

Anyhow being that it's still June and you stated specifically in your post the Price drop was in July 2007, then that means that Processor has not lasted 4 years just yet!! Oooo Burnnn! Only 3 years, 9 months, and 28 days. So when the Q6600 was affordable no one could have bought it before that unless they payed 7 or 8 hundred. Like I said that chip has really only been awesome for 3 years, but lets just round up so you people don't h8 me so much for my posts. Anyhow yeah come July or whatever exact d8 it was when the price drop happened then it will be a solid 4 years. Also remember most people likely picked up the chip 6-12 months later. For those people the chip has been a 2-3 year CPU, but meh what's the point in arguing on the internet...unless you like debating.
Really? Your going to argue the difference between 3 years 11 months (today) and 4 years just to continue to make an off topic point that no one cares about?
teletran8 said:
It is still a great achievement a CPU that OC's and performs for the average Joe for 4 years, but IMO the K6 from AMD in the late 90's was the most amazing CPU released for its time or since. It created a PARADIGM SHIFT in PC Gaming, and further advanced PC gaming with the Athlon XP in 1999 and the FX 64-bit chips further after....

<big steaming pile of shit that you threw up to make a point no one cares about>

<more shit, only this shit stinks more>
That entire wall of text was irrelevant and nonsensical. In case you haven't realized this yet, this thread is about an Intel Q6600 processor. Talking about how grand and glorious your precious AMD chips are over some 4 year old Intel processor is accomplishing nothing, and is completely off-topic.

In fact, you continue to violate rules of this forum with your bullshit posts in this thread. Here are just a few.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=760666
Hardforum Rules said:
(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.
(3) No THREAD HIJACKING. Start another thread if you have a different topic.
(4) No THREAD Crapping
(8) No BOMBING forums or threads with pointless posts.
In fact, every time someone (including me) replies to your trolls and flamebait, it gets things even more off topic. The only reason I post is in a vane attempt to save you from your own stupidity. I'm surprised people haven't reported every post you have made here and you haven't been banned yet. So will you please leave this thread alone and let the thread get back on topic?

teletran8 said:
I'm done....I think.
We all hope so.
But in case you haven't gotten the message yet...

1279478194034.jpg

Back