The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is Too Damn High! @ [H]

Just in case anyone missed noticing this... I was holding out hope that the fabled EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition would actually be it's touted 999.99 price.... Well, Happy Thanksgiving! Nope! It would seem the card has now climbed roughly 150 bucks in price, the original page had it listed at... 999...

I might have to sit this generation out.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2282-KR

Just in case anyone missed noticing this... I was holding out hope that the fabled EVGA 2080Ti Black Edition would actually be it's touted 999.99 price.... Well, Happy Thanksgiving! Nope! It would seem the card has now climbed roughly 150 bucks in price, the original page had it listed at... 999...

I might have to sit this generation out.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2282-KR

it's still listed on their site for $999: https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-2281-KR

"Buy a RTX series graphics card, and get a free copy of EVERY GAME that currently supports ray-tracing!"

It's an old joke at this point but I intend to keep telling it until it's no longer true.

Kind of a kick in the nuts that Nvidia isn't offering this to the people who pre-ordered.

Kind of a kick in the nuts that Nvidia isn't offering this to the people who pre-ordered.

They will still go out and buy it again, Nvidia knows it and wont change unless their fans buying habits do.

Well, damn, there might actually be a digital Jesus out there... I will have to look closer at that link I pulled off their front page and see if it's bundled with the "Free Battlefield V" just for 150 bucks more. It's the same card AFAIK.

Let's see if they don't correct the 999 page... I appreciate you digging up the other link BTW.

Attachments

• 999.jpg
    999.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 150 Bucks Over.jpg
    150 Bucks Over.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 0
15MHz?! Any card should be able to clock that.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. That's the only difference between the cards as far as i can tell. 150 bucks for a 15 Mhz Boost Clock, otherwise the cards are utterly identical. EVGA seems to have 4-5 of these with the same HS and Fan solution and the differences range from 15 Mhz to 115 Mhz in Boost Clocks. The price hikes exponentially as they clock higher, for better binned silicon.

The thing that always got me was, sure, we can OC the crap out of these cards to get more performance. However, I've been using a 4K TV since the 900 Series cards. 100 ish Mhz is going to give you what? 1-3 Fps? On water we might see 5+... Who gives a shit? 60 FPS on 4K is solid and these cards deliver 60-75 FPS in 4K on the most demanding titles. Why even bother pushing the cards?

FYI - They are in stock at multiple outlets... I wonder if we will ever see the 999 model... I added one to my cart and then quickly shut my web browser. I love picking up bleeding edge tech but this price point and the potential for issues means the only card you really want is the one from Nvidia due to the blazing turn around on the RMA process. I was digging through the comments on other AIB board owners and some were on cards 4 & 5 already. Sweet Jesus... I had better hold off a little longer.

When do you guys think the prices of the 20 series will come back down to sensible levels? Crypto has been declining for the majority of the year and still is so my thoughts are that we may get a price cut relatively soon. Especially if they are selling poorly.

When do you guys think the prices of the 20 series will come back down to sensible levels? Crypto has been declining for the majority of the year and still is so my thoughts are that we may get a price cut relatively soon. Especially if they are selling poorly.

Well, I paid 799 for my FE 1080Ti.... I just paid 999 for a EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti. I was notified by EVGA they were in stock last night, I bought it promptly on the spot... Knowing full well of the failure rates and all.

If you can get one for 999, thats a steal even if it's not stock over clocked like the FE cards. Since the cheapest I've seen them available was a marked up 1350, 999 is a bargain. I had no desire to pay 10 bucks a Mhz... I think there's a blowjob joke in there somewhere...

At ten dollars a second, for a hundred seconds, you can have a possible fire hazard and / or non playable space invaders, possibly even insta hardware death and no post. Just about as bad as allowing someone you don't trust to give you a BJ... Lol.

Well, I paid 799 for my FE 1080Ti.... I just paid 999 for a EVGA Black Edition 2080Ti. I was notified by EVGA they were in stock last night, I bought it promptly on the spot... Knowing full well of the failure rates and all.

If you can get one for 999, thats a steal even if it's not stock over clocked like the FE cards. Since the cheapest I've seen them available was a marked up 1350, 999 is a bargain. I had no desire to pay 10 bucks a Mhz... I think there's a blowjob joke in there somewhere...

At ten dollars a second, for a hundred seconds, you can have a possible fire hazard and / or non playable space invaders, possibly even insta hardware death and no post. Just about as bad as allowing someone you don't trust to give you a BJ... Lol.

See it's only a "deal" because you're already adjusting your idea of what the price should be. In my eyes it won't be priced appropriately until it comes down to the 700-800 range. I'm not saying you shouldn't have bought it btw, if you're happy with that then it's all good. I should have been cleare on what I mean by sensible.

See it's only a "deal" because you're already adjusting your idea of what the price should be. In my eyes it won't be priced appropriately until it comes down to the 700-800 range. I'm not saying you shouldn't have bought it btw, if you're happy with that then it's all good. I should have been cleare on what I mean by sensible.

The problem as I see it is that prices will never remain static. GDDR6 costs more, there were a series of articles about this some months ago. I expected this generation to cost more. In a perfect world I would like to see these video cards for what the 1080Ti sold for or less (and even that launch had Nvidia hiking their prices with the FE cards and not many complained). The problem is, we don't live in a perfect world and Nvidia has zero competition right now. That may change in 2020 if Intel releases a first gen heavy hitter (kinda doubt it, but you never know) and if AMD manages to release competitive or faster parts (highly doubt it, next gen on 7nm will still likely trail the 2080 series even if it gets close). For the time being however, there's one option for high performance graphics on the PC and that's Nvidia. Thus my choice to call it a "deal" or a bargain or whatever is certainly my personal feelings on adjusting what I am willing to pay for a video card. I call 999 much better than paying 1200-1400 and I likely get 99% of their performance.

The problem as I see it is that prices will never remain static. GDDR6 costs more, there were a series of articles about this some months ago. I expected this generation to cost more. In a perfect world I would like to see these video cards for what the 1080Ti sold for or less (and even that launch had Nvidia hiking their prices with the FE cards and not many complained). The problem is, we don't live in a perfect world and Nvidia has zero competition right now. That may change in 2020 if Intel releases a first gen heavy hitter (kinda doubt it, but you never know) and if AMD manages to release competitive or faster parts (highly doubt it, next gen on 7nm will still likely trail the 2080 series even if it gets close). For the time being however, there's one option for high performance graphics on the PC and that's Nvidia. Thus my choice to call it a "deal" or a bargain or whatever is certainly my personal feelings on adjusting what I am willing to pay for a video card. I call 999 much better than paying 1200-1400 and I likely get 99% of their performance.

Yeah but even if the costs are going up it's the magnitude that is nonsensical. It's nothing more than a crypto bubble and as you mentioned lack of competition price hike. Again I'm just wondering when most people on here think prices will decrease; not having a discussion for the 500th time on rationalizations/justifications as to why the price hike occurred.

Yeah but even if the costs are going up it's the magnitude that is nonsensical. It's nothing more than a crypto bubble and as you mentioned lack of competition price hike. Again I'm just wondering when most people on here think prices will decrease; not having a discussion for the 500th time on rationalizations/justifications as to why the price hike occurred.

Like I said above, the cost will decrease once there is sufficient competition. If there is no sufficient competition, I would imagine that we will see the prices of these cards continue to climb. I'm single, and a cool grand is pretty brutal for me on my salary. However, I can still do that even though it hurts. Now, if these cards continue to climb beyond that with zero competition... I'm not likely to keep paying for them. I have my limits.

Or we could use logic.

Take the die size of the 1080Ti and 2080Ti. Figure out how much larger the 2080Ti is and multiply that by the 1080Tis MSRP. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Ok, it's basically a linear price increase based on die size, which historically for semiconductors is an absolute steal given these massive dies and the probability of defects. Pricing above and beyond MSRP is the market demand being greater than supply...likely because it's a massive die and there will be lots of broken ones.

NVIDIA does enough nonsense, we don't have to go creating more just because we don't like the price.

Or we could use logic.

Take the die size of the 1080Ti and 2080Ti. Figure out how much larger the 2080Ti is and multiply that by the 1080Tis MSRP. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Ok, it's basically a linear price increase based on die size, which historically for semiconductors is an absolute steal given these massive dies and the probability of defects. Pricing above and beyond MSRP is the market demand being greater than supply...likely because it's a massive die and there will be lots of broken ones.

NVIDIA does enough nonsense, we don't have to go creating more just because we don't like the price.

Again I don't care about the damn die size, that's ridiculous but if you want to believe it that's fine. The question is when do you think the price drop occurs?

Again I don't care about the damn die size, that's ridiculous but if you want to believe it that's fine. The question is when do you think the price drop occurs?
So long as we are buying the cards.... Never. Regardless the technical reasons behind the cost. I don't disagree with you. You're right on all counts, the prices are insane... So, I must be as well paying a grand to buy into the testing process... Lol .

Well, you can be irrational all you want, but a manufacturer is going to sell their product at the price the market will sustain. You do exactly the same whenever you sell your old stuff. The 2080Ti is obviously too much for you. Ferrari's are outside my car budget too, so I don't drive one. No one owes you a 2080Ti at whatever ridiculous price you want it for...at least no more than Ferrari owes me a car.

The die size matters because it directly impacts (along with all the engineering and other costs) the minimum a manufacturer will be willing to create and sell a product for. At some point NVIDIA just doesn't bother to bring the card to market because they can't sell it. These dies are massive. They're up there with some of the largest dies ever made on this specific process and thus, yields won't be great and costs will be high.

B*tch all you want, but reality doesn't care how much you complain.

Well, you can be irrational all you want, but a manufacturer is going to sell their product at the price the market will sustain. You do exactly the same whenever you sell your old stuff. The 2080Ti is obviously too much for you. Ferrari's are outside my car budget too, so I don't drive one. No one owes you a 2080Ti at whatever ridiculous price you want it for...at least no more than Ferrari owes me a car.

The die size matters because it directly impacts (along with all the engineering and other costs) the minimum a manufacturer will be willing to create and sell a product for. At some point NVIDIA just doesn't bother to bring the card to market because they can't sell it. These dies are massive. They're up there with some of the largest dies ever made on this specific process and thus, yields won't be great and costs will be high.

Well said!

Also, if Nvidia has really been working on ray-tracing for 10 years, they might want a return on all that R&D.

Is it too much for me? Did I ever say nvidia owed me a card at the price I want? I don't think so.

When cards start building up on the shelves gathering dust, AMD start selling more cards then Nvidia even with lesser performance. Other than that, RTX cards will have a premium price.

The RTX 2070 is basically as fast as AMD's fastest Vega LC cards and much cheaper. Now considering that the Vega 64 is not that much slower than a Vega 64 LC but a hell a lot cheaper makes it a better buy. So already Nvidia for $/Performance matches what AMD has on the over $450 market except for some good sales on the Vega 64. Not much incentive there or competition to drive down the price. Other consideration is the whole eco system where AMD has a clear advantage in better quality monitors as in FreeSync versions compared to Gsync - which can make a huge improvement in game smoothness, no tearing.

As time goes on, the extra features on the RTX cards will add more value for customers. As in my case and I am sure for many others they are not worth it for the money being ask for.

When cards start building up on the shelves gathering dust, AMD start selling more cards then Nvidia even with lesser performance. Other than that, RTX cards will have a premium price.

The RTX 2070 is basically as fast as AMD's fastest Vega LC cards and much cheaper. Now considering that the Vega 64 is not that much slower than a Vega 64 LC but a hell a lot cheaper makes it a better buy. So already Nvidia for $/Performance matches what AMD has on the over $450 market except for some good sales on the Vega 64. Not much incentive there or competition to drive down the price. Other consideration is the whole eco system where AMD has a clear advantage in better quality monitors as in FreeSync versions compared to Gsync - which can make a huge improvement in game smoothness, no tearing.

As time goes on, the extra features on the RTX cards will add more value for customers. As in my case and I am sure for many others they are not worth it for the money being ask for.
You got the blue FEs?
Vega is now basically widely available at 400 with 3x new games. Pretty damn good value, got mine at 375 instead pre-tested by NKD, 1025mv P7 and low spot T° delta on ref cooler, so she's a good card ^_^

You got the blue FEs?
Vega is now basically widely available at 400 with 3x new games. Pretty damn good value, got mine at 375 instead pre-tested by NKD, 1025mv P7 and low spot T° delta on ref cooler, so she's a good card ^_^
Yes, also good value now days for a number of Vega's - I also have a Vega 64 LC, 3 Vega's total. I just don't see me buying another Vega unless a 7nm type FE comes out and that would be a big maybe at that.

Yes, also good value now days for a number of Vega's - I also have a Vega 64 LC, 3 Vega's total. I just don't see me buying another Vega unless a 7nm type FE comes out and that would be a big maybe at that.
I'm hankering to pick up one of the beautiful yinmin blue 16gb FEs and water cool it with a custom loop but the original housing. But probably more hassle than it is worth haha.
7nm Vega may end up in my rig for ML applications and I have a sneaking feeling they'll be able to run the 16nm driver if they ain't changed too much.... but I'll let someone else test that out lol. But I'm of same opinion as you really, just going to wait it out till Navi 20 or Next generation after that. V64 will be their fastest card until 2020 it seems, I don't see navi small die taking the cake any time soon.

Back