The GeForce RTX 2080 Ti is Too Damn High! @ [H]

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by Kyle_Bennett, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Well, the Titan is no longer a gaming brand. Nvidia had been talking about dropping the gaming emphasis on Titan in favor of professional machine learning and research applications for some time, but they finally did it on the Titan V. Granted, it's still a pretty beastly gaming solution, but its moved from the previously ridiculed $1,200 pricetag to $3000. Future Titans will likely cost even more. They can justify this when targeting enterprise users.

2. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

Cant find what has not been produced. On the other hand the 2080 is in stock everywhere pretty much cause not many want it. Also you can ask anything you want on Ebay, doesn't mean they are getting it.

Edit: My bad guess they are getting it, odd some will pay so much just to have it now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    kirbyrj likes this.
  3. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Sure, just look at the last 8 Sold listings on Ebay for the RTX 2080 Ti:

$1450, $1599, $1588, $1599, $1400, $1600, $1674, and a MSI Trio for a cool $2,099!

Edit: Oh look, someone bought a MSI Trio for $2,750 on 9/24 at 17:33. Crazy!

4. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

See above post.

5. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

Wow more stupid people then I expected. Tho that is why scalpers exist, to profit on those that just cant wait and will pay any price to have it.

loki1944 likes this.
  6. Zarathustra[H]

It's nuts.

I don't understand what goes through the head of someone who ABSOLUTELY HAS TO HAVE IT NOW!

It will still be the same GPU in a couple of weeks when supply is more abundant.

I refuse to ever buy anything above MSRP or face value. Scalpers can shove it.

Gideon and kirbyrj like this.
  7. techguymaxc

techguymaxc n00bie

Well, I pulled the trigger on a 2080 Ti FE pre-order from Best Buy. I was trying pretty much all day yesterday and couldn't get the order in fast enough but I got lucky this morning and they had an FE in-stock when I checked. I really don't like the pricing but the performance is where I need it to be, and 1080 Ti prices have slowly crept back up to MSRP (and then some) over the past few weeks since that amazing $526 fire sale everyone jumped on. No sense paying $700 or more for a card I could've bought 18 months ago, which was just a cheaper version of the Titan X (Pascal) I bought a few months prior (and then sold for purchase price and replaced with a 1070).

Ordered up an EK block + backplate. I know water doesn't help with overclocking anymore but at least the card will run cool and the clocks will be consistent.

eclypse likes this.
  8. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

From what I've seen, these cards run rather cool to start with. I'm picking mine up tomorrow. I'm very possibly considering getting a new case with greater air volume / air flow.

9. techguymaxc

techguymaxc n00bie

I suppose that depends on your definition of "cool". From what I've seen, most of them seem to run in the 70's C under gaming load. Most of my water-cooled video cards in the past few years run in the 30s-40s, which means they avoid throttling.

10. TheMadHatterXxX

TheMadHatterXxX 2[H]4U

Just get a Thermaltake P5 and wall mount it like I did...no airflow issues anymore.

11. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

12. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Could be foreign from the US where it’s hard to get cards, costs similar, ect.

13. techguymaxc

techguymaxc n00bie

14. Kyle_Bennett

I guess it would depend on your definition of "noise." From what I've heard, most of them seem to run without an annoying sound profile under a gaming load. Most of my air-cooled video cards in teh past few years run without noise issues, and they avoid throttling.

15. Kyle_Bennett

16. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

17. AngeloBJ

AngeloBJ n00bie

Does Ray Trace even work yet?

And what the hell can you even test it on. I'm old and my memory fades from time to time, but do you remember when Nvidia used to have new cards come out with new AAA games that took advantage of their new feature sets?

And to answer your question...1300 dollars? In a word....HELL NO! I didn't pay 1300 dollars for my whole system! I expect to spent 30-40% of my PC budget on graphics. But damn!

Sure I've spent more on dummer sh!!+ for my PC. But this is beyond a financial struggle...it's a moral battle! I cannot, with clear conscious, buy an RTX until it's 100% implemented and there's at least ONE title...that I'm dying to play...that takes advantage of the new technology. And even then...Woof $1300 bucks?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
    Misterzeno and dvsman like this.
  18. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, Im right there with you. The ONLY game I can see myself buying for Ray Tracing is Cyberpunk (if it even has the fuction) & the new Elderscrolls game, which are both still a ways away. We'll probably have a new card out before ES comes out anyways.

AngeloBJ likes this.
  19. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

The Ti is really the only GPU for someone wanting the fastest they can get. The rest of the lineup are a bit meh at the moment.

20. Krenum

Really meh considering the price. You can find faster 1080ti's for cheaper the 2070 will be.

AngeloBJ likes this.
  21. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

Nope, it's market manipulation. Two Best Buy locations, one 45 miles from me and one 80 miles from me had each one in stock last week (the RTX 2080 that is), and they sold, but very slowly. By limiting supply, NVIDIA is trying to create demand, or at least the illusion that there is demand for their product, while you can find a GTX 1080 Ti 11GB for $700 ~ $800 in any gutter, pisshole or back alley... Once again, Fuck You NVIDIA!

Zuul and eclypse like this.
  22. AngeloBJ

AngeloBJ n00bie

Any new product is gonna have a population of customers who will buy it just because it's new....no mater how retarded the price is. :whistle:

Misterzeno and eclypse like this.
  23. PhoenixWings

PhoenixWings Limp Gawd

You're absolutely right. And by paying these ridiculous prices, these people will only encourage NVIDIA to keep going. But, when stuff doesn't sell, prices fall. I've seen VEGA Frontier Edition cards being sold at fire sale prices by the palet. When they didn't sell well for $1000, I guess $500 to $600 is good enough, maybe less than $500 when you get an entire pallet. It's a lesson NVIDIA needs to re-learn as well.

AngeloBJ likes this.
  24. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

I think it's a supply and demand issue. From the delays on Ti pre-orders, we know they must be seriously supply constrained (I mean, really, how many people are lining up to buy a $1,200 GPU?).

So knowing they would sell out everything for at least a month or two, it makes business sense to price it at the highest point that will still sell out their stock. You can argue it's greed, and that may play a part, but it make sense.

Plus, they gave the MSRP as $999, so they have an out to drop the price whenever inventory catches up and/or demand wanes.

25. vegeta535

vegeta535 2[H]4U

You got to realize people have more money then sense. Also 2k or even 3k might be a lot to most of us here but to some 3k is nothing. There are lots of nerds out there that have the cash to feed their needs.

26. Zarathustra[H]

Thing is, I'm not poor or anything, but I always balk at things when I feel I am being ripped off.

If someone is trying to sell me something for $4, but I know it's only worth $1.50, I get pissed, because I don't like being taken advantage of even when I can afford it.

I would have thought these people able to drop multiple thousands at the drop of a hat would feel the same.

Misterzeno, Savoy, luke51087 and 4 others like this.
  27. Krenum

I feel have the exact same feelings towards spending my money. Wants only go so far.

28. SixFootDuo

SixFootDuo [H]ardness Supreme

My definition would be what I gained from watching all the review videos of the 2080 Ti. Reviewers are saying the card runs very cool, the best they've seen with nVidia. But, there are people who are not happy until they are at bleeding edge of cooling and that's awesome if that's what your into.

29. polarman5k

polarman5k Limp Gawd

Small shop manager in NZ and we can now order the GTX 2080 ti and stock is available at suppliers bit steep baring in mind this is the price without margin and GST added
    ASUS DUAL-RTX2080TI-O11G GDDR6 RTX PCIE3.0 Graphics Card

DUAL-RTX2080TI-O11G
    $2,175.00

End user pricing on this would be about $2599 incl GST and a bit of margin. RRP is $3127 incl gst though.

mr_zen256 likes this.
  30. mr_zen256

mr_zen256 2[H]4U

Hello fellow kiwi :)

I was checking out NZ local pricing for the 2080 Ti's on Price Spy today. The cheapest is $2,349.95

Still...

EDIT: I payed about $1800 for a Titan X Maxwell back in 2015... This is just FUCKED!

EDIT 2: *Leather Jacket Man* More you buy the more you save! HAHA Get fooked

tenor.gif

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  31. UnrealCpu

UnrealCpu 2[H]4U

I think Jensen needs a paycut on his salary and just lower the prices

32. Aireoth

Aireoth [H]ard|Gawd

Absolutely, only idiots think that the rich aren't frugal. Now their children/spouse can/are another matter, but if you made that money yourself, you're likely a tightwad just like me.

Can I afford it without a problem? Yes.

Do I have the money I have because I spend like a chump? No.

Is this an item that looks like its for chumps? Yep. Waiting the the H review to confirm.

Ripskin, LuxTerra and kirbyrj like this.
  33. Randall Stephens

Randall Stephens Limp Gawd

I make well north of 100k and still drive a 20 year old crown vic. The more I make the more of a tightwad I've become. It's tough being "rich."

GoldenTiger, kirbyrj and Aireoth like this.
  34. tajoh111

tajoh111 Limp Gawd

This is what I suspect it is.

One thing I have noticed lately is pretty much all consumer goods have gone up unproportionally lately over the last little while but in particular, Luxury goods. Some times the price of things can be normal but all of a sudden boom happens and the price skyrockets.

One group of people that is causing this to happen are the Chinese.

Chinese, particularly the wealthier ones and even the less wealthy ones are willing to spend an inappropriate amount of money on luxury goods. The more expensive the better.

The price of luxury hand bags have doubled over the last 10 years, the prices of certain watches like Rolex have shot up and sell for above their MSRP over the last couple years and electronics like Apple products sell way above asking price.

Chinese tourist spend 3x the normal average on shopping compared to most tourist when they go on a trip. The Chinese like to consume luxury goods at a higher rate than most people which has opened up a buying market that is beginning to rival the USA even though the vast majority of them are poor. Buying american goods and reselling them back home has become a job. Occassionally you will see a Chinese person buy huge quantities of stuff with the aim to resell it back in China. The point is most american's will bug out at the prices of these cards, but to the chinese, the high price is an attractive incentives since it evokes thoughts of exclusivity.

35. kirbyrj

kirbyrj Why oh why didn't I take the BLUE pill?

Looks like the evga "black" edition has an MSRP of $1149. Still an absurd price, but $50 less absurd.

36. Burticus

Burticus 2[H]4U

Hold still, my precious 1070... you're not going anywhere yet.

Algrim likes this.
  37. Furious_Styles

Furious_Styles Gawd

Baby steps, soon we'll be back to sane pricing. At least that's what I'll keep telling myself.

kirbyrj likes this.
  38. LuxTerra

LuxTerra Limp Gawd

Yes, there are some interesting cultural differences. The Chinese also like buying really expensive bottles of wine just to show off their wealth. Funny thing is, lots of them don't even like it, so the common thing is to mix it with coke. Yes, mixing a several hundred/thousand dollar bottle of wine with coke just so you can drink it. Absurd.

PhoenixWings likes this.
  39. cdr_74_premium

cdr_74_premium [H]ard|Gawd

I would love to see that.

40. Redmud

Redmud [H]Lite

I am sitting at a 980. With the performance being similar between the 2080 and the 1080 ti and the prices not really that much different (looking at Micro Center), I am inclined to go with the 2080. I am going to hold out regardless but I would never buy a 2080 ti at what they are asking.