The Gaming PC That Costs $13,000

that's nice, but I really enjoy building my own, even if it will cost me eventually 15-18k cost to build :D

he's full of it, its not faster than the pc linked.

The Aurum use's Titans. The r9 290X outperforms a Titan.

So, $200 for a mobo, $300 for an i7, $150 16GB RAM, $200 for a nice case, $100 for a HSK, $1100 for two 290Xs, $300 for a SSD, $150 for a PSU, $200 for 6TB of storage, W7-64 $150 - 2850 USD.

With the discounts that most of us shop around for $2500 seems realistic for such a build.

Of course, most of us won't have to buy a PSU, case, HSK, or OS license when we're upgrading h/w. So, minus those costs such a build would go for 2250, not considering any potential discounts.

So, his build for $2500 could indeed have greater gaming performance than the Aurum.

I was talking to a client earlier this year about upgrading or replacing his aging PC and I asked him what his budget was and he said around 4-5. So I am thinking $400-500 for upgrading.
I go over there and look at the old Dell Intel P4 machine and tell him that $400-500 is kinda tight to replace the machine, and he said he meant $4-5k was the budget.
He gave me $1k cash to start with and I built him a decent machine, fixed up the Dell for use in his restaurant, and upgraded his Laptop with an SSD, for $2200.
The Dell and the replacement machine are only used for Word, Quick Books, and general internet usage and I was surprised that he would budget so much for that type of machine.

I was talking to a client earlier this year about upgrading or replacing his aging PC and I asked him what his budget was and he said around 4-5. So I am thinking $400-500 for upgrading.
I go over there and look at the old Dell Intel P4 machine and tell him that $400-500 is kinda tight to replace the machine, and he said he meant $4-5k was the budget.
He gave me $1k cash to start with and I built him a decent machine, fixed up the Dell for use in his restaurant, and upgraded his Laptop with an SSD, for $2200.
The Dell and the replacement machine are only used for Word, Quick Books, and general internet usage and I was surprised that he would budget so much for that type of machine.

What does this have to do with the original post?

That's common, or more common then some think. Businesses with light use like that go for extreme measures to make sure they a solid machine for years, as they will probably have it for five plus. They can't be bothered to upgrade machines every year, even if it comes out cheaper they would lose time and training.

We had similar clients, few machines who only upgraded every few years.

I like how it's all that money and only has a single 512GB SSD and a single 2TB HDD. Also find it funny that they keep referring to how it's "ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One"... No shit Sherlock, lol.

not only that but they are also accounting for labor not expecting someone to put the parts together for free or cheap. and planning on support, too.

When you see how shitty the reporting is on this computer, it makes you wonder how good Forbes reporting is on matters you don't know about.

Probably not better.

I generally charge 10% of cost for my builds. Anyone who would buy the pc mentioned wouldn't know what to do with it in any case.

People say this is a 6K rig but until i see one that looks that good i dont want to hear it. Anyone can throw parts together. Its making it look good is what costs money. Not to mention they warranty and support the system. It looks MDPC worthy. To much hate.

I generally charge 10% of cost for my builds. Anyone who would buy the pc mentioned wouldn't know what to do with it in any case.

It would obviously sit next to my gold toilet. So when guests come over and use the bathroom, they can play Crysis while taking a dump, all in style.

regio-gold-toilet.jpeg

A lot of you really are getting rather silly stating how much you could build it for that you completely ignore the fact it is a UK company thus at the very least all the parts cost more and that price includes our 20% VAT.

I like how it's all that money and only has a single 512GB SSD and a single 2TB HDD. Also find it funny that they keep referring to how it's "ahead of Microsoft's Xbox One"... No shit Sherlock, lol.
Exactly. For that kind of money I would expect 512GB SSD RAID 0 at the least + 3TB+ RAID 1 or 5 for back up. Hell good 512GB SSD's were <$300 this week, no excuse for this.

In general this PC is already outdated and seems to bet on the ignorance of its customers to make a sale.

A lot of you really are getting rather silly stating how much you could build it for that you completely ignore the fact it is a UK company thus at the very least all the parts cost more and that price includes our 20% VAT.
It's still overpriced, by a lot. Also my main gripe, and I think others would agree, is not so much the cost but the design choices.

you have to remember that the title states $13,000 with a US currency tag, the 7979 is in the euro curreny and that is actually alot higher than the US currency. So 7979 euro = 13,000 U.S.

People say this is a 6K rig but until i see one that looks that good i dont want to hear it. Anyone can throw parts together. Its making it look good is what costs money. Not to mention they warranty and support the system. It looks MDPC worthy. To much hate.

The article centers on 4k gaming performance. For 3-6k one can get a rig that'll provide a superior gaming experience.

I really don't see how something looks, aesthetically, matters when it only delivers 30fps. The entire point of owning a PC, to me, is so that I don't have to play games at 30fps.

I could build a similar WC setup to that with 2-3 flashed 290's for under $2,500 total and it would be pretty damn close to that. And why would they use all black tubing and sleeving, that thing would pop with orange tubing and 1-2 blacklights.

The article centers on 4k gaming performance. For 3-6k one can get a rig that'll provide a superior gaming experience.

I really don't see how something looks, aesthetically, matters when it only delivers 30fps. The entire point of owning a PC, to me, is so that I don't have to play games at 30fps.

Because there is a such thing as having Function and Form rather then Function over form.

A lot of props to DarthBeavis for trying to explain business in this thread.

I have run two computer service companies, and have done high-end audio installs and performance part installs on cars - we ALWAYS had to hit 100% markup through one method or another to stay open.

It all seems easy until you have to pay rent, insurance, employees, workman's comp, credit card fees, warranty work, shitty customers, print marketing, web marketing, AdWords and occasionally....yourself.

I wouldn't buy a $13,000 computer but I understand why a small builder who must pay $6k for the parts charges that, and I have certainly met the rare customer who would buy it.

A lot of props to DarthBeavis for trying to explain business in this thread.

I have run two computer service companies, and have done high-end audio installs and performance part installs on cars - we ALWAYS had to hit 100% markup through one method or another to stay open.

It all seems easy until you have to pay rent, insurance, employees, workman's comp, credit card fees, warranty work, shitty customers, print marketing, web marketing, AdWords and occasionally....yourself.

I wouldn't buy a $13,000 computer but I understand why a small builder who must pay $6k for the parts charges that, and I have certainly met the rare customer who would buy it.

Thanks. I think I am the only one in this thread who actually operates in this market. Another similar market is home audio/video. Some people will spend an insane amount on their home theater setups - amounts I cannot even fathom spending.

What would you change if you have to warranty it for 3 years and also cover the time you put into it (after swapping out the cheap green storage drives for blacks - system is two 512 gig Crucial M4s in raid 0)

If I were to sell this system I might ask 15k or so for it
2nzc.jpg

is that your tubing and wiring job? It's awesome!

Wow that's awesome!

I always thought water cooling was neat, but I just can't bring myself to take the risk of mixing water and expensive electronics. :D Not just expensive but hard to get. Having to order, and wait, etc...

Wow that's awesome!

I always thought water cooling was neat, but I just can't bring myself to take the risk of mixing water and expensive electronics. :D Not just expensive but hard to get. Having to order, and wait, etc...
I am just glad people like you enjoy it :cool:

Because there is a such thing as having Function and Form rather then Function over form.

To me, the Form of the game environment is much more important then the aesthetic Form of the physical hardware. Part of that Form is motion fluidity.

I do not consider gaming at 30fps to be functional as the decrease in motion fluidity, and higher latencies, impede a players ability to function within the game environment.

The Aurum, in my view, lacks Form and Function in what gamers will be most aware of - graphics and gameplay.

The markup is not surprising. Ever look at mass produced computers like Dell? They likely have 30-50% margin.

Burdened rates in my industry... A $10 an hr employee ends up being 30+. Engineers are over $100/hr (normal is $150/hr for a contract job), ect. Adds up quick!

There is a decent amount of labor and risk in a water cooled rig...

Dell and other PC makers have a very low margin on most PC/laptops, that is why they always try to sell you extended warranties, cables, printer and ink. Those things have 30-50% margins. Most computers and cell phone markets are so competitive that you usually only get 1-5% margin, or even a loss, and you make it up with high margin add-ons like the warranties, cables, etc. Extended warranties typically work out to be a 50% profit for the issuing company.

Dell and other PC makers have a very low margin on most PC/laptops, that is why they always try to sell you extended warranties, cables, printer and ink. Those things have 30-50% margins. Most computers and cell phone markets are so competitive that you usually only get 1-5% margin, or even a loss, and you make it up with high margin add-ons like the warranties, cables, etc. Extended warranties typically work out to be a 50% profit for the issuing company.
no, his numbers were far more accurate. accessories and warranties are sold at hundreds% margins. Unless you think that a $30 dollar printer cartridge costs Dell $25 and a $10 dollar Cat cable costs them $7! No, those operating costs would be ridiculous.

Insurance brokers are not working under a 50/50 payout. That doesn't even make sense. They would be just as likely to go broke as make a profit under your claim that they only end up with a 50% profit. That's not how insurance companies work and they are the experts in derivatives specifically to ensure they don't operate with that kind of loss.

Numerous articles regarding component costs in both iPhone and android devices clearly establish that margins for cell phone manufacturers are much higher than 1-5%. It's not a guessing game--the data are available.

no, his numbers were far more accurate. accessories and warranties are sold at hundreds% margins. Unless you think that a $30 dollar printer cartridge costs Dell $25 and a $10 dollar Cat cable costs them $7! No, those operating costs would be ridiculous.

Insurance brokers are not working under a 50/50 payout. That doesn't even make sense. They would be just as likely to go broke as make a profit under your claim that they only end up with a 50% profit. That's not how insurance companies work and they are the experts in derivatives specifically to ensure they don't operate with that kind of loss.

Numerous articles regarding component costs in both iPhone and android devices clearly establish that margins for cell phone manufacturers are much higher than 1-5%. It's not a guessing game--the data are available.

Boutique vendors do not get much of a discount buying name brand hardware at OEM prices

Boutique vendors do not get much of a discount buying name brand hardware at OEM prices
The person I quoted specifically referred to Dell and other OEM's.
I was agreeing with Dayaks that this isn't out of the ordinary for boutique prices.

Back