Super Cycle
Lemmings
Rags To Riches
The Captive
Outrun
The President is Missing
Robin of the Wood
Space Taxi

I do think many of these games were huge in their time, so don't really fit the cadre of "games no knows about" e.g., Skate or Die, Outrun, Golden Axe, Lemmings, but nice list nonetheless.

The one game in semi-recent memory that really flew under the radar in that reviewers panned it and hardly anyone that I know played was Condemned 2: Bloodshot. 7 years later and I'd still kill for a sequel.

Going back further, Golgo 13 on NES was amazing, but little-known.

Last edited:
It said nothing about the age/era of games. It's likely a majority of members here have never heard of nor played much, if any, of the games I listed. Besides, the OP listed a bunch of retro games, as well...thus setting my precedence. :)

Wow, Raptor: call of the shadows brings so many memories, and a tear to the eye :(
They put more effort into designing games those days, and achieved so much more with so little.

Does anyone remember FireFight by Epic? I still remember its soundtrack. Another all time favorite of mine is Jazz Jackrabbit - that game is better than all the Mario's and other pretenders :)

I do think many of these games were huge in their time, so don't really fit the cadre of "games no knows about" e.g., Skate or Die, Outrun, Golden Axe, Lemmings, but nice list nonetheless.

I would say especially Paperboy, Hard Drivin' and Outrun...I believe all of those were arcade games, so probably fairly well known.

I guess I would throw into the mix, Interstate '76 and the sequel, Interstate '82. Great games but I didn't know a lot of people who had heard of or played them.

Wow, Raptor: call of the shadows brings so many memories, and a tear to the eye :(
They put more effort into designing games those days, and achieved so much more with so little.

Does anyone remember FireFight by Epic? I still remember its soundtrack. Another all time favorite of mine is Jazz Jackrabbit - that game is better than all the Mario's and other pretenders :)

In a way lacking hardware made game designers more creative. But of course there were terrible games back then too. And there are great games nowadays as well. So imo not much has changed in that regard.

In a way lacking hardware made game designers more creative. But of course there were terrible games back then too. And there are great games nowadays as well. So imo not much has changed in that regard.

Good point here. A good example of this: the developers of Outcast were having trouble rendering an immersive open-world game that would be playable on anything but the highest-end graphics cards of the time, so they created a completely software-driven ray casting engine -- and it looked amazing for its time. They also did something similarly revolutionary with the game's AI due to CPU limitations...

No One Lives Forever is one of my favorite games of all time. What really sucks is that nobody knows who legally owns the IP anymore.

Totally forgot about this one:

Terminator: Future Shock.

First truly 3d FPS and made by Bethesda back in '95.

Solar Realms Elite (SRE)
Barron Realms Elite (BRE)

old BBS games

Any pre-Star Wars Factor 5 games. (Turrican, Katakis, etc.)

Spellforce 2, the last two expansions(not by the original developers) were piles of shit though.

If you like Raptor: Call of Shadows, there is also Tyrian which is similar. (awesome music, lots of modes, hidden scorched earth minigame)

Pizza Tycoon
Yoot Tower (basically SimTower 1.5)
Halloween Harry (aka Alien Carnage)
Pinball Fantasies (all the dice pinball games are good, but this one is crazy good)
Wing Commander: Armada (best via null-modem vs. friends)
Dark Sun (both are good)
All the Gold Box SSI DnD games, although I mostly played Dark Queen since it actually had 256 color mode. Was given a copy of Unlimited Adventures (the gold-box game maker) a few years back.

Hidden and Dangerous 2 + Expansion (awesome WW2 squad TPS!)
Castle Strike 2 (medieval setting RTS)
America + Expansion (Wild west RTS, pretty good)
Nosferatu - Wrath of Malachi (awesome horror game, completely randomized every time, it's even on steam -> http://store.steampowered.com/app/283290/)

"Never Alone"

I also remember "Mad Balls in Babo: Invasion" being crazy fun.

"The Old City: Leviathan" was something I bought on impulse and was somewhat interesting.

He was probably serious and has a point. People now days only know of the Modern Warfare and Black OPS editions.

I used to love my Mosin-Nagant bolt action rifle, such a great sniping tool on the campaign, i loved it above the springfield, but just as everyone and it's mother i recognize that the very best was the german Kar98k.

Original CoD was the first FPS with a story that clicked for me, so i would vote it as serious too.

Not sure if others have posted some of these, but I have found other the years that I have some kinda weird taste in video games, so I might make an interesting contribution to this thread even late into it:

1. Missionforce: Cyberstorm
X-Com, but with Mecha and troopers you can grow in a vat, to spec. In the same universe as Earthsiege II and Tribes, here you get to see what happened to the 'brids after Starsiege and how the BioDerms came to be.

2. Tyrian2K
An easier bullet hell shooter with great graphics and an excellent sound track and sense of humor.

3. Hedgewars
Fantastic OSS clone of Worms

4. Dungeons of Dredmor
A hilarious Roguelike that really stays true to original roguelike gameplay tropes and mechanics while simultaneously asking the question: what if instead of balance we try to make everything OP?

5. STALKER: Clear Sky
The best of the trilogy for its sophisticated AI and gorgeous presentation, Clear Sky got less rave reviews than its predecessor or sequel because it was buggy on release and had less in the way of a storyline-on-rails approach, which left some people twiddling their thumbs.

6. Joint Ops: Combined Arms
An ugly FPS now, but when it came out it was mindblowing the number of innovative features found in the game: giant maps, insanely good netcode, 150+ player counts, free-roam INSIDE of vehicles, a unique concealment system... so many awesome FPS innovations in this game that have not been picked up even by the most similar games in the market, like Planetside 2. Unfortunately today the online servers are a cheater's paradise.

7. Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate
X-Com, but grimdark!

8. Starsiege
The apex of mech simulator games as far as I am concerned. Sequel to Earthsiege II, didn't get a lot of press on release. Came with an absolutely gorgeous 200+ page manual.

9. Outpost 2
A bizarre combination of city management simulator and RTS - kind of like Stronghold in space, but not really. Decent storyline.

10. Simant
Ant "RTS" simulator with some serious attention given to myrmecology. Made when games were supposed to be educational and fun at the same time, there's still no equivalent on the market. A truly unique bit of software that holds up well even today

League of Legends.

(im sure this joke was made at some point)

for real though, "To the Moon."
and all of my friends KNOW of Hotline Miami because i talk about it all the time, but they cant stand to play it.

League of Legends.

(im sure this joke was made at some point)

for real though, "To the Moon."
and all of my friends KNOW of Hotline Miami because i talk about it all the time, but they cant stand to play it.

Screw your friends, Hotline Miami is great fun with a soundtrack to get the blood moving. I looooooove that game

1. Missionforce: Cyberstorm
X-Com, but with Mecha and troopers you can grow in a vat, to spec. In the same universe as Earthsiege II and Tribes, here you get to see what happened to the 'brids after Starsiege and how the BioDerms came to be.

I think I posted this one earlier. I wish so badly that I could get it working on my Surface Pro 2 - it seems like it'd be perfect for that.

I loved Cyberstorm so much that I still have my original CD. I get it out every once in a while, try to get it running on a modern PC, and then give up after a little while. :(

I think I posted this one earlier. I wish so badly that I could get it working on my Surface Pro 2 - it seems like it'd be perfect for that.

I loved Cyberstorm so much that I still have my original CD. I get it out every once in a while, try to get it running on a modern PC, and then give up after a little while. :(

I hear you man, I also still have my original CD with no DRM and everything... Gaming was different back then, haha. Anyway, I run this game without issues in XP mode or an XP virtual machine with a few compatibility settings turned on. There's even a patch for cybrid return fire, which makes the game very challenging.

Anyway, you could probably also rune it in Linux with the right WINE settings. If you want I will dig out my XP configuration steps and post them here too; we could totally play some coop cybrid stomping using hamachi if you're down for it.

Maybe that would be worth asking GoG if they'd be willing to take it on and get it working?

Oh trust me, I have asked them. Many times. It's in IP hell right now because Cyberstorm was a Sierra produced game developed by Dynamix. Both of those companies are now defunct; as a part of the Starsiege universe, the IP was defacto purchased by HiRez Studios (of Tribes: Ascend fame/infamy), but I'm not even sure they are aware this is the case.

So it's a question of GOG deciding to go after a game that's not technically in their wheelhouse (they like to focus on stuff that can be solved via MAME or DosBox), and which exists in a weird kind of abandonware state where the company that owns the IP probably isn't willing to communicate about it and yet might sue the shit out of whoever uses the IP without asking them down the road.

TL;DR - it's highly unlikely that GOG will do anything about this title, unfortunately. If you want to play, talk to me. The configuration process really isn't that bad.

Back